Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,917 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men (6610 Views)

Armed Men Attack Monrovia Ebola Clinic, 29 Patients Flee / Cameroon Rescues Vice Pm’s Wife Kidnapped By Boko Haram / Libyan PM Ali Zeidan Freed By Kidnappers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by HezronLorraine(m): 10:11am On Oct 10, 2013
shocked
Libya is still yet to get back on its feet since the
ouster of Ghaddaffi.A nation that could boost of
affluence then is now almost non-existent.

For reasons unknown Ali Zeidan has been taken.Of
recently he made calls for Western intervention to
stop the scourge of militants.I think that was why he
was taken as a cautionary against him inviting
Western forces into Libya again considering how the
West has come under heavy attacks in Liby in the
past two years.

There's a question:What happened to his security
envoy,a whole PM was taken like that.

1 Like

Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by Kemy11(m): 10:12am On Oct 10, 2013
i have said this to ma friends that an average person from middle east is an extremist so they need a tyrant to hold them down otherwise cases like this will come up. Arab spring was planned by jihadist to legalize their activities in middle east. So sad that even the west fall for them.
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by demelza: 10:14am On Oct 10, 2013
I love the way Libya is now, serves them right.
Ghaddafi wherever you are, Im laughing with you.

2 Likes

Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by everyday: 10:17am On Oct 10, 2013
Libya is now run by terrorists.Insecurity in libya is so bad to the extent that the Prime Minister can be kidnapped.This is just unacceptable
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by Guyman02: 10:22am On Oct 10, 2013
seanet02: Good news.
Now those dunderheads brainwashed by the western countries will see reason when we said that was only being victimized because of oil.
Very Good news.
Hope the rebels cut off the neck of that traitor

The news made my day. A day of reckoning for betraying his country to Western invaders. Perhaps they may give him the same treatment Gaddafi and US ambassador Chris Stevens had.
I used to hate Gaddafi because I was too attached then to news from CNN, BBC, FOX until during the NATO invasion when I discovered alternative media and got to know the truth about the 'democratic' West who would not even allow the UNSC to become democratic but maintain their VETO powers which they use at will to control the lives of billions of people in many countries.

1 Like

Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by everyday: 10:23am On Oct 10, 2013
Libya is now run by terrorists.Insecurity in Libya is so bad to the extent that the Prime Minister can be kidnapped.This is just unacceptable
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by Emperor007: 10:25am On Oct 10, 2013
This is just morning for Libyans, since they allowed themselves to be used by the West.

It would turn to Iraq sometime, all they've always wanted is to control their resources.

2 Likes

Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by nitlad: 10:27am On Oct 10, 2013
Waiting to see the video of the traitor being beheaded plastered on the www

1 Like

Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by dexpee4life(m): 10:27am On Oct 10, 2013
HolyHolla: Libyan PM Ali Zeidan kidnapped by armed men

Prime MinisterAli Zeidan seized from a hotel inTripoli and taken to unknown location, government website reports.

Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan was kidnapped at dawn by an armed group and taken to an unknown location, the government said .

" The head of the transitional government, Ali Zeidan, was taken to an unknown destination for unknown reasons by a group" of men believed to be former rebels, the government said in a brief statement on its website on Thursday"

I would say, perhaps, this is a blow-back for Libyan government involvement in the U.S. recent kidnapping of al Qaeda leader and terror suspect Abu Anas al-Liby.

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/10/231179107/official-libya-prime-minister-kidnapped-by-gunmen?f=1001&ft=1

this is just the beginning. This is why sometimes, its better to stay with the devil you know than with the self-acclaimed Angels you dont know.
Time to sow what they Reaped or abi the other way round. i comment my reserve

1 Like

Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by dheaven: 10:33am On Oct 10, 2013
Nigerian President cannot be kidnapped.
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by nitlad: 10:34am On Oct 10, 2013
Libyan PM 'freed from captivity'

Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan is freed, several hours after being seized militiamen - government sources.

More to follow.

***UPDATE***

Mr Zeidan was taken from his hotel in the capital, Tripoli, by armed men in the early hours of Thursday morning.

A former rebel group loosely allied to the government said it had arrested Mr Zeidan on the orders of the prosecutor general.

The justice ministry had denied an arrest warrant was issued.
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by kingthreat(m): 10:47am On Oct 10, 2013
Only Muammar knew how to handle these people. For 42 years, the opposition could not even throw a single bomb. Now, cheap rebels armed with AK47 abducting a prime minister, what a ahsame indeed.

1 Like

Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by akwunmi(m): 10:51am On Oct 10, 2013
Idi Amin: Ghadafi warned about the consequences of his death but nobody listened. Just imagine, a once secured base of the former strongman of Africa is now a place where a Prime minister is said to be abducted. What a shame? The mighty fell and the weak rejoiced, now the prowess of the mighty is needed but this time nowhere to be foundundecided
no mind Dem o gaddafi warned d libyans
Not trust d american govt bu de no hear word,dem allow america 2kill dare hero. N nw penetrat in2 dare land con still get mind 2kidnap dare minister,dare sufferin jst strt!!! Mumu pple.

1 Like

Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by greatgeo(m): 10:51am On Oct 10, 2013
He been released already
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by Wisdytech(m): 10:52am On Oct 10, 2013
A MIGHTY HAD FALLEN! Wht a world we live in.................

>>>OFF TO MY CHURCH FOR FASTING & PRAYERS!

Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by Symphony007: 10:54am On Oct 10, 2013
taharqa: Which Tunisia and Egypt is stabilising?? Are you sure you live in this same earth? Beta click Google now, to keep up...
read well before quoting. I said tunisia is stabilizing(note:stabilizing, not stabilized), if you think otherwise give me proof to the contrary. And i said egypt is crushing out opposition and dessent in their country, if you also think otherwise. Proove it. Don't miss quote me for ziggers to sound smart.
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by sparta(f): 10:55am On Oct 10, 2013
Licensed-2-Kill:
Dont yah all jst wish that it was clueless+shoeless dat was kidnapped?
nigeria will better off witout him and his queen.
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by adino(m): 10:56am On Oct 10, 2013
taharqa: Which Tunisia and Egypt is stabilising?? Are you sure you live in this same earth? Beta click Google now, to keep up...

HahHahaha
That clown is living in hulalala land. Egypt and Tunisia stabilising? I also heard Afghanistan is now peaceful.
I laff in Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 10, 2013
nitlad: Waiting to see the video of the traitor being beheaded plastered on the www

Abeg shift make I siddon with you. I carry kulikuli with g'flakes come grin

1 Like

Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by Newsi: 10:59am On Oct 10, 2013
He has been freed
Read report here
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by stargalameena: 11:04am On Oct 10, 2013
wus really suprise wen i heard dis...wus tellin my dad that if a whole prime minister can be kidnapped,den no one is safe...only God can protect...i cn imagin all the strategies dos kidnappers used in capturin dis man..i fil the security personnels are involved somehw..abiiii.?
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by onegig(m): 11:11am On Oct 10, 2013
Saw this quote

I remember the late Gaddafi crying out loud that some of the so called rebels struggling to oust him were Al Qaida affiliates. Nobody took heed and this was taken as last kicks of a dying horse. If they were Al Qaida then somebody was arming them provided Gaddafi was smoked out. Talk of the end justifying the means. The same groups are now back to haunt the victor. If the overall goal was to remove the 'dictator', where is that democracy now? If the overall goal was to attain peace in the region, what version of it are we witnessing in Libya? If brutality was the problem under Gaddafi, was the Prime Minister ushered away using guitars? Are we able to face the militia now and tell them they are doing wrong when we celebrated their mayhem during the rebellion? Surprisingly these are not lessons; we are arming some hotheads in Syria in the name of protection against Assad.

Very apt. See why America has no right interfering in local politics or a country. You provide arms to people

1 Like

Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by skyscraperTM(m): 11:18am On Oct 10, 2013
so niqerians still dey libya?! grin

if dem fit kidnap prime minister for libya mean say dem fit kidnap president for naija lipsrsealed na joke o!
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by boyt1: 11:21am On Oct 10, 2013
A message for Nigerians calling for Arab type Of. Revolution .
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by Omooba77: 11:35am On Oct 10, 2013
HolyHolla:

Sure, I agree with you. If Ghadaffi had nuclear capabilities, they would still be negotiating with him by now in fear that it might fall into wrong hands or be used against their protected targets. That's the advantage Iran and North Korea still wield till now.
Even Assyad is trading on his biological weapon!
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by HolyHolla(m): 11:40am On Oct 10, 2013
Omooba77:
Even Assyad is trading on his biological weapon!

And if he's smart enough, he won't drop it all for them to destroy. It's a bargaining chip. That's like the balance of terror that USSR traded with for decades. The US was direly afraid of the Soviets during the Cold War because they too packed some probable terror punches.
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by AreaFada2: 11:47am On Oct 10, 2013
I think he has been released?
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by erico2k2(m): 11:58am On Oct 10, 2013
Ok party is over he has been released and on his way back to his office
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by Elueme: 11:58am On Oct 10, 2013
We were too hateful and cynical about Ghadaffi. Yeah, his dictatorial tendency was condemnable but the the means of his( Ghadaffi ) exit and the possible consequences were not properly put in perspective hence the very precarious situation we are having in Africa today.
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by Omooba77: 12:38pm On Oct 10, 2013
Libya's Prime Minister Ali Zeidan has been freed several hours after being kidnapped at dawn by gunmen at the Tripoli hotel where he is living.
The brazen abduction seemed to be in retaliation for a US special forces' raid in the capital over the weekend that seized a suspected al Qaeda leader.
Government spokesman Mohammed Kaabar told the state news agency that Mr Zeidan, 63, had been "set free" and was on his way to his office.
It appeared Libyan forces had intervened in some way and the abductors did not free Mr Zeidan voluntarily.
People had reportedly opened fire at the building where he was being held to demand his release, a Reuters journalist said.
A militia commander affiliated with the interior ministry told a private Libyan TV station the PM was freed when members of a Tripoli-based militia stormed a house where he was held hostage.
Haitham al Tajouri, commander of the so-called "Reinforcement Force," told Al Ahrar television that his men exchanged fire with the captors but that Mr Zeidan was not hurt.
A group of ex-rebels said it had "arrested" Mr Zeidan after US Secretary of State John Kerry confirmed Libya's role in the US capture of Libyan Abu Anas al Libi.
A spokesman for the group, known as the Operations Room of Libya's Revolutionaries, said: "His arrest comes after ... (Kerry) said the Libyan government was aware of the operation."
The militia group, which had been hired by the government to provide security in the city, said it had seized Mr Zeidan "on the prosecutor's orders" for "crimes and offences prejudicial to the state" and its security.
But the public prosecutor's office said it had issued no such warrant for Mr Zeidan's arrest.
His abduction reflected the weakness of the government, which is virtually held hostage by powerful militias, many of which are made up of Islamic militants.
He was detained at the interior ministry's anti-crime department, said an official there, and he was reported to be in "good health and was treated well".
He had been taken from the luxury Corinthia Hotel after being seized by up to 150 armed men who arrived in pick-up trucks.
Witnesses said a large group of them entered the building, some stayed in reception while others headed to the 21st floor where Mr Zeidan was staying.
The gunmen scuffled with the prime minister's guards before they seized him and led him out at around 5.15am (local time), said the witnesses, adding he offered no resistance while he was being led away.
Sky sources said the man believed to be behind the abduction was Abu Obeiida, who is thought to have taken over the militia group.
The group appeared to post a warning of its intentions on Facebook on Monday. It said it "holds everyone who is involved in co-operating with foreign intelligence" responsible for the "kidnap" of al Libi and "will pursue them and bring them to justice".
Two years after a revolution toppled Libya's Muammar Gaddafi, the fragile central government has been struggling to contain tribal militias and groups of former rebels who spearheaded the uprising.
Sky's Tim Marshall said: "The prime minister of Libya's jurisdiction runs about to the end of his hotel corridor and then stops because there is no real government, certainly in the sense that we understand it.
"It is a lawless place that is falling apart into different factions, tribes, regions, areas and groups. The fact this man has been detained does not alter the trajectory of Libya’s spiral into chaos.
"What is very important about the fact that the PM can be taken from his hotel by armed men is symbolic of how bad things have got."
There has been anger among militant groups over the US special forces operation that seized al Libi, whose family met Mr Zeidan hours before the PM's abduction.
Several groups accused the government of colluding in or allowing the weekend raid, though the government denied having any prior knowledge of the operation.
Al Libi, who was whisked away to a US warship in the Mediterranean, is suspected of being involved in the twin bombings of US embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania in 1998.
Re: Ali Zeidan, Libyan Prime-Minister Kidnapped By Armed Men by alexola20(m): 1:30pm On Oct 10, 2013

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo / PHOTOS: Terrible Life Of African Prostitutes In Italy / Muslims Begin To Demand For Sharia Law In London (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.