Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country (23981 Views)

For Unemployed Graduates ONLY / The Countries With The Most Unemployed Graduates / What Unemployed Graduates Pass Through In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by ifex370(m): 4:39pm On Oct 12, 2013
embarassed
currently studying compt engr in ESUT,16years of age! 100-200 level,
i believe God l make a way for me as soon as i graduate! cos i love my course,and i can't imagine myself studying sumtn else
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by obayaya(m): 4:40pm On Oct 12, 2013
Aderupoko2: Tell me which manufacturing or oil and gas company that doesn't have more than 70% of their work force as Engineers.

and how many manufacturing and oil and gas companies are in Nigeria.. 2012 graduates from faculty of engineering in Uniport, futo and unizik alone can fill up all the available spaces..

so remind me what your point was?

6 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by king100(m): 4:41pm On Oct 12, 2013
GeneralShepherd: Me sef don dey frustrate for house 2.1 eee futo
m Don't waste your time start deep thinking of what you can use your 2.1 brain to create as in something that can make you self employed that is the essence of education.There is massive unemployment all over the world,use your brain,time wait for nobody.

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by constance500: 4:41pm On Oct 12, 2013
Sllowppoisoon: student U still have a long way to go..jus chill for naw
......... Bro... I'l get a job while u wash my cars...
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by ocheejemb: 4:42pm On Oct 12, 2013
splendidb20: I had a heated argument with someone on which field of study has the largest unemployed graduates despite the graduates making 2.1 & first class. The argument ended in disagreements and it also raised another issue of 'why engineering should be studied for 5yrs giving that it is a level 8 course'. I was of the opinion that it is engineering that has the highest number of unemployed, high ranking 2.1 and first class graduates. This conclusion is not baseless because I studied elect. engineering. And none of my course mates is with any GOOD job right now <service yr 2012/2013 batch A>. They mostly divert to programming. So, what is your own opinion? Also, your opinion on engineering being level 8 after five tough years of complex analysis

I graduated in 2009 and I all my classmates have very good jobs. From 3rds to 1sts.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Mgbadike80: 4:44pm On Oct 12, 2013
All the engineering students i served with have gotten a job though it pays little for a starter but those from social sciences and art are usually worse off.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Exponental(m): 4:44pm On Oct 12, 2013
Engineering jobs dont end. All u need is d technical-know-how, acquire knowledge n make dat as "job experience". I studied elect too n will tell u dat engineering witout skills is useless.
Social science graduates flood d jobless market more.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Bgino(m): 4:45pm On Oct 12, 2013
i studied civil engineering 2005.when looking back over the years to quantify my achievements i cry for my beloved country.ive had my professional certifications..COREN..2009, NSE 2012.Im very proficient in the use of most eng design softwares and apps.i undertake mostly individual and coperate jobs as freelance.im no rookie but i must confess im not impressed wt the money im making.i would be posting to this blog frm abroad anytime soon.i know im not alone in this braindrain dilema.thats naija for you
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 12, 2013
Sermwell: I don't knw how true dis assertion is but it is my pleasure 2 let u guyz knw dat we prospective lawyers have no shaking cuz our future is fully secured!... But 2013/2013 batch is 2 early 4 u 2 judge na! Pls don't panic jare!
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by oyedun82(m): 4:48pm On Oct 12, 2013
01mcfadden: Nigeria believe in engineers from abroad. They dnt trust any of their products. Unles we start believing in ourselves,development will be hard to achieve here.
nt an engineering studnt/graduate buh topic like this should be hitting the fp more than those trash and off-topic threads
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Edoblakky(m): 4:54pm On Oct 12, 2013
@ OP I'm sorry to disagree with you. I studied engineering and I'm blessed with a job in the oil and gas industry, the guys and ladies I graduated with are all employed with only a little fraction still jobless. The ones that are jobless are looking for my type of job which is not readily available. If engineering graduates will apply to banks and manufacturing firms, they will easily get jobs because of their high analytical skills needed to pass job tests, but most engineering graduates want oil and gas jobs so they refuse to apply for other jobs. I started with a bank but today I've moved ahead.

6 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Sloan: 4:58pm On Oct 12, 2013
realbomax: @op. i also studied engrg course but i think d point is engrg graduates are nt d worst hit but d stress engrg graduates undergoes right frm admisn process stage till graduatn stage in schl is nt adequately compensated for in a country lik nigeria. i now clearly see dt nigeria is nt ready for technological advancement and because of dt i cant advise my jnr ones to waste their time on in in naija at least for now because most pple who only get field engrg job here are very connected.

Nigeria is not ready for engineering and technological advancement? When will it be ready if not now? Is it until we over here invent computers and machines that do virtually everything and then you can tear your engineering certificate, because it will no longer be needed! Well the problem is you people are too foo.lish electing the most useless leaders who don't give a damn, there are people on NL defending such leaders till today including maybe you and you see nothing wrong with that? 30% unemployment rate, ASUU on strike for 3 months and counting, and you still don't see where the problem lies? I personally want most of the stu.pid Nigerians who defend incompetence to suffer! I wish the right thinking, smart and progressive ones don't share in your suffering but there is no way! I thank God that I am not in that country and only visit when I like. Someone is eating 1 B food per year and ordinary people cannot earn 200 K per annum with peace of mind! Imagine me, when I retire at 60 - 65,
I will never need to worry about any pensions plus of course I will still have my own business and consulting. Nigerians should enjoy their fresh air and shut up!
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by mustaphagreens(m): 5:04pm On Oct 12, 2013
I hate that creepy word 'unemployment' especially when used in connection with 'Engineering'. As an engineering student u're trained to create job for yourself and for others,isn't it? Abeg just graduate with your first class or 2.1(upper division),apply for/and win a masters degree scholarship abroad,when you're through with d programme,fly back to Nigeria and your employment is 100% guaranteedsmiley. It's just as easy as cooking beans! Forget ugonna,talatu,zainab,adaobi and maga for nw nd FACE YOUR BOOK!

3 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by wasak(m): 5:05pm On Oct 12, 2013
I am not an engineer...
these are my thoughts:
1 whether or not engineers are the most unemployed is not an issue.
2 engineering itself is a vast discipline which gives room for countless opportunities.
3. Unemployed Engineering graduates can come together to form an association. Such association will be saddled with the responsibility of thinking out innovations. an instance is in the field of construction: so many federal government projects are carried out by foreign engineers, it is my believe that Nigerian engineers have what it takes to perform those functions. The association should carry out an homework of d abilities of those foreign companies CCECC. Julius berger, Triacta etc... and work towards meeting those standards. ( it is possible ).
The association can also be a pressure group to influence government policies on such contracts, in such a way that It'll favour indigenous engineers.
Finally, d association might also source for funds to sponsor some of their members for additional training abroad. such members after their return should be saddled with the responsibility of exposing their colleagues to their experience and knowledge.
my thoughts actually.

3 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by rman: 5:09pm On Oct 12, 2013
I disagree. In fact, engineering gradutes have better opportunities.

They can branch into other fields after graduating and still retain their niche which other graduates can't come into. I have friends that studied either electrical or mechnical engineering that now work for PWC, KPMG, and banks. I still have not found any social science graduate working as a telecoms engr, or process engr.

Engineering certificate without any form of practical experience or skill is of little or no use. Learn about the softwares used in the industry you are intrested in, get some IT certifications, be ready to get your hands dirty initially.

I sometimes feel the unemployment situation in Nigeria favours them more. Look crtically at all the sectors that are growing presently in Nigeria eg construction, manufacturing etc the core of their staffs are engineers.

2 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by indomitable234: 5:11pm On Oct 12, 2013
If engineers are the most unemployed graduates then its all their fault,as an enginneer,u shouldn't bee looking for job,instead u should be providing jobs,let's break it down
Elect elect grad...u can work on ur own as an electrician,do house wiring,work as a communication engineer,get into the field of networking,fiber optics etc
Mechanical eng.....u can start on ur own by fixing cars engine,generators
Civil engineering,u can start on ur own as a building contractor
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by addictiv(m): 5:15pm On Oct 12, 2013
i think our engineers are lazy....they all want to seat back and wait for juicy offers from companies.........an engineer is an innovator, he solves challenges and that's what we should be doing....think of guys like Einstein, da vinci, these guys were all innovators....the good thing about all this is that nigerian and africa as a whole is a little bit technological backward , its just like a signed blank cheque, we can do what ever we want and make a name and fortune with it......this is where we should be heading, taking up challenges and solving them just like we did with calculus and and engine maths, presenting a practical and innovative approach to our crawling technological advancement and not waiting for manner from above.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by batstan(m): 5:15pm On Oct 12, 2013
you got it right dude cos i was in the class of 2001 and i can tell, alot of our folks are out there as freelancers, just to make ens meet. It will be boastful to state my grades here buh you know.........
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by validplanet: 5:20pm On Oct 12, 2013
indomitable234: If engineers are the most unemployed graduates then its all their fault,as an enginneer,u shouldn't bee looking for job,instead u should be providing jobs,let's break it down
Elect elect grad...u can work on ur own as an electrician,do house wiring,work as a communication engineer,get into the field of networking,fiber optics etc
Mechanical eng.....u can start on ur own by fixing cars engine,generators
Civil engineering,u can start on ur own as a building contractor

i've told u guys b4. most pple get their engineering jobs done by technicians and skilled non graduates. https://www.nairaland.com/1457330/unemployment-non-graduates-cheating-graduates-nigeria
those things u r things u r suggesting above are already taken over by non graduate skilled workers. and engineering equipments are quite expensive for a fresh graduate to set up a company.

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Chillypelly(m): 5:22pm On Oct 12, 2013
I am a Civil Engineer and graduated from FUTO in 2010. The field its self is one that needs innovative minds and people that can think out of the box. Since after my youth service i have had like 5 jobs ranging from construction, oil&gas to banking. All i can tell anyone that cares to listen is that engineering has the fattest opportunities... QED.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Sllowppoisoon: 5:28pm On Oct 12, 2013
Raxxye: Abeg make una no vex o. Why is it that many Nigerian graduates these days cannot differentiate between
''their'' and ''there''
''no'' and ''know''
''feel'' and ''fill''
''being'' and ''been?''

How dem take pass English Language for WAEC?
After now dem go say 'we're all graduates!'
The thing don dey vex me well well o!
why pilgin Can u jus Re-write ur post in english undecided

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by adconline(m): 5:28pm On Oct 12, 2013
ifex370: embarassed
currently studying compt engr in ESUT,16years of age! 100-200 level,
i believe God l make a way for me as soon as i graduate! cos i love my course,and i can't imagine myself studying sumtn else

Come and confirm this fantasy after 5years.. Reality meets fantasy
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Sllowppoisoon: 5:34pm On Oct 12, 2013
constance500: ......... Bro... I'l get a job while u wash my cars...
try to pass ur Carry-over Courses first,, becum a graduate, serve,,search for job,,,gain job experience,,search for a beta job wt ur job experience...maybe u can naw buy a tokunbo car..kid,,,u still have a long way to go

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by GeneralShepherd(m): 5:42pm On Oct 12, 2013
Edoblakky: @ OP I'm sorry to disagree with you. I studied engineering and I'm blessed with a job in the oil and gas industry, the guys and ladies I graduated with are all employed with only a little fraction still jobless. The ones that are jobless are looking for my type of job which is not readily available. If engineering graduates will apply to banks and manufacturing firms, they will easily get jobs because of their high analytical skills needed to pass job tests, but most engineering graduates want oil and gas jobs so they refuse to apply for other jobs. I started with a bank but today I've moved ahead.

fallacy of hasty generalization

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by GeneralShepherd(m): 5:43pm On Oct 12, 2013
validplanet:

i've told u guys b4. most pple get their engineering jobs done by technicians and skilled non graduates. https://www.nairaland.com/1457330/unemployment-non-graduates-cheating-graduates-nigeria
those things u r things u r suggesting above are already taken over by non graduate skilled workers. and engineering equipments are quite expensive for a fresh graduate to set up a company.

No mind these people...talk is cheap

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by NosoChic: 5:47pm On Oct 12, 2013
I do not absolutely agree with the OP, as I am of the opinion that Engineering graduate school are the most Underemployed as against the most Unemployed. !

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by NosoChic: 5:47pm On Oct 12, 2013
I do not absolutely agree with the OP, as I am of the opinion that Engineering graduates are the most Underemployed as against the most Unemployed.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 12, 2013
Engineers do not have the highest number of unemployed graduates comparatively. The social sciences / humanities /biological and physical sciences graduates are worse hit.
Engineers are everywhere - from manufacturing sector to oil and gas sector to food and beverages sector to auditing firms to banking sector to research/research sector....name it.
They also have the highest number of scholarship opportunities.
Common op! The guys you mentioned just graduated. Give them a year or two, most of them will be fixed. I graduated a few years ago and all the first class graduates in my faculty are all employed or pursuing post graduate studies. More than 80% of the 2.1 graduate are also hooked up.
opportunities abound for young and smart engineers. It just takes a little patience
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Emvin(m): 5:50pm On Oct 12, 2013
Well I don't think so. Engineers are versatile and therefore can work in many organizations or establishments. Haven said that, engineering field is a professional one and you are expected to be a techno-preneur.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by lafex: 5:51pm On Oct 12, 2013
me too i don tire at home with 2-1 I think say na only me
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by bootlegaz: 5:52pm On Oct 12, 2013
America needs Engineers and they are been paid very well. My advise is to obtain admission in a university that accepts Nigeria's university certification and upon graduation companies will hustle you if your GPA is sound. Attend a one year masters program, only few universities does that.

2 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Arlex(m): 5:52pm On Oct 12, 2013
Wether the unemployment rate is high or not I WILL STUDY MY PELTROLEUM ENGINEERING, and by GOD'S GRACE, I WILL BE EMPLOYED.All i know is dat despite d high rate of unemployment there are engineers who still work at their desired place without connection.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Two Job Offers: I'm Confused / Skye Bank Recruitment / Delta State Youth Empowerment Programme January 2016 Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.