Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,075 members, 7,825,394 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country (24024 Views)

For Unemployed Graduates ONLY / The Countries With The Most Unemployed Graduates / What Unemployed Graduates Pass Through In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Rejoice5000(f): 5:54pm On Oct 12, 2013
says who?? discovered by which organisation all disciplined can be unemployed.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 5:57pm On Oct 12, 2013
I just got admission to study mechanical engineering, i dnt tink that anyone that graduated with a good result will be unemployed, even if u dnt find a job in ur field, there are still many places u can work, so op i dnt beleive this, my bros studied engineering and he has a good job nw, though not in his field but its paying well
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:06pm On Oct 12, 2013
Sylvyangel: I just got admission to study mechanical engineering, i dnt tink that anyone that graduated with a good result will be unemployed, even if u dnt find a job in ur field, there are still many places u can work, so op i dnt beleive this, my bros studied engineering and he has a good job nw, though not in his field but its paying well

you are still an undergraduate dear calm down!!!
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by mustaphagreens(m): 6:13pm On Oct 12, 2013
Sllowppoisoon: why pilgin undecided
cos it's the only language u actually understand outside your mother tongue(sorry but serious abuse meant!).The dude was trying to point out and correct some common spelling errors in English and here u are spelling 'pidgin' as 'pilgin' in an attempt to humor him...smh
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by nuceo: 6:15pm On Oct 12, 2013
with the massive infrastructural development in this country? op i dont think so. If u say that engineers are the most underemployed i may agree with you. Everything changes when you get your coren. Engineering is not about academic grade, it is about what skills u have. In my company, we recruit you based on what you can do and not wether u have1st class or 2.1. Infact an engr with first class should be in the classroom
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by baba11(m): 6:34pm On Oct 12, 2013
We engineers should think out of the box.Little thing we take for granted counts a lot.Most of my friends did their IT for money sakes whereas they would have used such period to train themselves and gather experience.My fellow engineers,dont lose hope;our future's bright.Can anybody has ever think about the amount of opportunities that await us in the newly privatized moribund PHCN?
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by electronic(m): 6:36pm On Oct 12, 2013
Well let me come in as an experienced Engrn (2.1 ELECT/ELECT) applicant ...lol

Interms of numbers, engineers in the labour market are obviously fewer! Compared to the ARTs . Try attending an aptitude Test for The banking Sector shocked shocked .U go see people!
However getting jobs that suite our discipline is a major setback. Most engineering coys would seek for thousands, then employ just Ten?...crazy!!!
So engineers have to settle for none engineering jobs (notime).. Unfortunately most Engineering grads are die Hards so they decide to stay at home or acquire some skill (capital intensive though). Some just leave the country. Three of my Guys just WAKA!!! Like joke cry undecided
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Sayet(m): 6:46pm On Oct 12, 2013
ARES: in a country driven by buying and selling and importation of everything..... why wont engineers be given the back seat...... and when the opportunity comes, they want experienced, how will u be experienced at home! and when u end up working for free to gather this experience, the slam you with " you must not be older than 26 by december 31"

Nigeria is a bus stop to hell
Gbam!

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 12, 2013
constance500: Proudly an accounting student.... Engineers should go nd dig soak-aways grin
everybody is entitled to their own opinion,but yours is st.upid

5 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by debbleopto: 6:54pm On Oct 12, 2013
Aderupoko2: Tell me which manufacturing or oil and gas company that doesn't have more than 70% of their work force as Engineers.

As your name implies. All are not engineers but majorly technologists and technicians. I studied Electrical electronics in university. I applied many times but no employment. so I was studying power inverter on the web and later digital electronic display. ie LED sign. It is what I am into now. we should look into the NET and get contemporary solutions to existing problems.

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Sayet(m): 6:55pm On Oct 12, 2013
ifebosco: most you look for job for chris sake?canĀ“t you create something needed in our society and source for fianance??most we always look for job after graduation??now you are telling an engrg to live nigeria to start looking for greener pastures outside nigeria,with the present crisis in europe and america the most silly thing an engrg in nigeria should do is to live nigeria,becuase the stress in this side of the world is the worst.be creative and look for fianance,nigeria need you guys
did u create job for yourself?
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by lafex: 6:59pm On Oct 12, 2013
baba11: We engineers should think out of the box.Little thing we take for granted counts a lot.Most of my friends did their IT for money sakes whereas they would have used such period to train themselves and gather experience.My fellow engineers,dont lose hope;our future's bright.Can anybody has ever think about the amount of opportunities that await us in the newly privatized moribund PHCN?
ur newly privatized phcn will soon be occupied by foreigners soon because other engineering sectors are also occupied majorly by foreigners
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by olumidazz: 7:28pm On Oct 12, 2013
Na lie na lawyers o. Lawyers dey starve gan 4 this country o

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:28pm On Oct 12, 2013
mustaphagreens: I hate that creepy word 'unemployment' especially when used in connection with 'Engineering'. As an engineering student u're trained to create job for yourself and for others,isn't it? Abeg just graduate with your first class or 2.1(upper division),apply for/and win a masters degree scholarship abroad,when you're through with d programme,fly back to Nigeria and your employment is 100% guaranteedsmiley. It's just as easy as cooking beans! Forget ugonna,talatu,zainab,adaobi and maga for nw nd FACE YOUR BOOK!

ehem.... let me break down for you last year there were 5 major scholarships..

1,PTDF
2.Commonwealth
3.NDDC
4. Chevening
5.BAE

Now ptdf decided to scam scholars there was no scholarship
Chevening gave more scholarships to humanities studies
NDDC if you are not from Niger delta forget iy
BAE gave scholarship to abt 20 scholars
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:31pm On Oct 12, 2013
Arlex: Wether the unemployment rate is high or not I WILL STUDY MY PELTROLEUM ENGINEERING, and by GOD'S GRACE, I WILL BE EMPLOYED.All i know is dat despite d high rate of unemployment there are engineers who still work at their desired place without connection.

My advice for you is to demphasize on God,attend gazillion conferences it boosts your cv nd you make industry relevant contacts there. I believe this was my key mistake. and also hustle your IT placement like say na matter of life and death it also counts
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by acorntree(m): 7:32pm On Oct 12, 2013
indomitable234: If engineers are the most unemployed graduates then its all their fault,as an enginneer,u shouldn't bee looking for job,instead u should be providing jobs,let's break it down
Elect elect grad...u can work on ur own as an electrician,do house wiring,work as a communication engineer,get into the field of networking,fiber optics etc
Mechanical eng.....u can start on ur own by fixing cars engine,generators
Civil engineering,u can start on ur own as a building contractor

These jobs u mention above are not meant for engineers they are for technician. Why go and spend 5yrs in a uni to end up as an electrician or engine repairer

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 7:53pm On Oct 12, 2013
All i can say to unemployed graduates is ''sorry''. Op, your observation may be right...

I'm an engineer and i can do anything to put food on my table.. Bank work, sell cement, transportation, name them.

Till our graduates start seeing engineering as a problem solving way of life, they will remain unemployed...
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 12, 2013
To GOD be the glory.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Gamji007: 8:05pm On Oct 12, 2013
acorn tree:

These jobs u mention above are not meant for engineers they are for technician. Why go and spend 5yrs in a uni to end up as an electrician or engine repairer

You are wrong my friend. That is a general misconception and problem with most engineering graduates in Nigeria. You believe holding spanners and screwdrivers are not meant for you, whereas engaging in such practical work could make you improve on your skills and make you relevant in everywhere you find yourself especially in a country like Nigeria, where Engineers,Technicians,Foremen, electricians, roadside mechanics etc are all considered the same.

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by patrkq(m): 8:17pm On Oct 12, 2013
Aderupoko2: Tell me which manufacturing or oil and gas company that doesn't have more than 70% of their work force as Engineers.
70% WHITE engineers

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by MumyGO(f): 8:25pm On Oct 12, 2013
All i have to say is dt d Op is jst a baby,2012/2013 batch !
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by God1stson(m): 8:33pm On Oct 12, 2013
I think u hav d premise to argue ur point.I can understand hw u feel, after dealing with those heavy calculations u would xpect d society 2 reward u.The trut is that those calculations are rubish compared 2 realities on ground.The Nigerian soc. of engineers knows about this,yet are not doing anytin 2 change the statosque.If I'm made d minister of eduation,i will make mechanic village,technical sch GTC, phone repairers,bricklayers,electricians,carpers and d lot 2 have B.tech nd city n guide.u can only get
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:35pm On Oct 12, 2013
My female friend dat graduated wit 2.1 in physics, UNIBEN, she's distributin indomie & buiscuits in company truck
Wat's dat

Wen I siddon 4 my studio reason d matta, I jez begin dey laff
Naija magik ni grin
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nicepoker(m): 8:59pm On Oct 12, 2013
Greatken007: MENTION 1 ORGANIZATION WHEN ENGINEERS NO FIT WORK?
drinking parlor
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nicepoker(m): 9:01pm On Oct 12, 2013
GeneralShepherd: Me sef don dey frustrate for house 2.1 eee futo
sit and cross legs til general electric send u a mail.

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by addictiv(m): 9:03pm On Oct 12, 2013
addictiv: like i said in a previous thread..YOUR PRIMARY AIM FOR ATTENDING A UNIVERSITY SHOULD BE FOR ENLIGHTENMENT, SELF EMPOWERMENT AND RELIANCE.............NOBODY OWES YOU A JOB

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by acorntree(m): 9:09pm On Oct 12, 2013
Gamji007:

You are wrong my friend. That is a general misconception and problem with most engineering graduates in Nigeria. You believe holding spanners and screwdrivers are not meant for you, whereas engaging in such practical work could make you improve on your skills and make you relevant in everywhere you find yourself especially in a country like Nigeria, where Engineers,Technicians,Foremen, electricians, roadside mechanics etc are all considered the same.

In a saner economy engineers are trained to design and technician, elecrician, mechanics are to look after technical equipment and do practical work like repair. due to lack of job an engineer could downgrade to be a technician but that does not mean engineers are to become road side mechanic as uve descibe above
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by acorntree(m): 9:17pm On Oct 12, 2013
God1stson: I think u hav d premise to argue ur point.I can understand hw u feel, after dealing with those heavy calculations u would xpect d society 2 reward u.The trut is that those calculations are rubish compared 2 realities on ground.The Nigerian soc. of engineers knows about this,yet are not doing anytin 2 change the statosque.If I'm made d minister of eduation,i will make mechanic village,technical sch GTC, phone repairers,bricklayers,electricians,carpers and d lot 2 have B.tech nd city n guide.u can only get

Btech is not meant for phone repair, bricklayer, carpenter and co. Degree is much more than that.its bec of ur ignorance ure typing all this rubbish above. All these people are called artisan and craftwork. It takes only primary school leaving certificate to be an good artisan
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by iLUMeN8(m): 9:41pm On Oct 12, 2013
constance500: Proudly an accounting student.... Engineers should go nd dig soak-aways grin

Ur papa!

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by jamesbridget13(f): 9:42pm On Oct 12, 2013
Michael Sokoto: My female friend dat graduated wit 2.1 in physics, UNIBEN, she's distributin indomie & buiscuits in company truck
Wat's dat

Wen I siddon 4 my studio reason d matta, I jez begin dey laff
Naija magik ni grin
do not laff over someone else's humble begining. U may never know. Am a 2012/2013 corp member too. I studied Mass Comm. After service i had 2 take up a menial work, d pay was little but 2day am a civil servant. Pls do not laff when u see someone trying 2 make it

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by kingston247: 9:46pm On Oct 12, 2013
splendidb20: I had a heated argument with someone on which field of study has the largest unemployed graduates despite the graduates making 2.1 & first class. The argument ended in disagreements and it also raised another issue of 'why engineering should be studied for 5yrs giving that it is a level 8 course'. I was of the opinion that it is engineering that has the highest number of unemployed, high ranking 2.1 and first class graduates. This conclusion is not baseless because I studied elect. engineering. And none of my course mates is with any GOOD job right now <service yr 2012/2013 batch A>. They mostly divert to programming. So, what is your own opinion? Also, your opinion on engineering being level 8 after five tough years of complex analysis

Guy u so right....I believe its because of d unavalibilty of power....a lot of manufacturing company relocated to other countries....U Cant call ur salf an engineer while u work in a bank....i studied elect engr....i v don my home work....u so right....

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 12, 2013
And no one is saying anything about biotechnology which happens to be the bane of forward-moving socities in the world

But has taken a back seat in our own dear country. SMH.
Can't wait to get outta here and explore my wonderful options in a society that will appreciate the worth of it.

*Godhelpme#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Npower: Payment Status Changes To Pending / Stanbic IBTC's Recruitment 2016 / Do Online Typing Jobs Pay?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.