Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Should Men Get Paternity Leave? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Men Get Paternity Leave? (4463 Views)

Why Do Ibo Men Get Married Late Compared To Other Tribes? / 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! / Should Men Be Forced To Pay For Kids They Didn't Want? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Babe2sure(f): 10:43pm On Oct 12, 2013
Fellow nairalanders, essential bonding thingy? *Lol* what do you think about it?

1 Like

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by uboma(m): 11:11pm On Oct 12, 2013
In advanced countries, its a norm to grant paternity leave and even here in Nigeria, I heard a hand full of organizations do so. Its however noteworthy to point out that from conception to the period of delivery, some responsible men do play active role in caring for the new born and assisting the mother where and when necessary. So just as maternity leave is allowed, I strongly advocate for some period for the fathers especially new fathers. The paternity leave may not necessarily be as long as that of the maternity but fathers will appreciate some period off work to care for mother and child and really catch some good rest.

@ op, this is an interesting topic.

3 Likes

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Chinwem(f): 11:26pm On Oct 12, 2013
Interesting question....... I m not sure they deserve need it anyway wink
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by fasho01(m): 11:41pm On Oct 12, 2013
Yea they should. They stay awake all night with the mother when the baby doesn't sleep & they also provide moral support.. They deserve it

1 Like

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Oct 12, 2013
Yes.
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by homesteady(m): 12:14am On Oct 13, 2013
LOL! I don't think so!
1) What role would he play in the baby caring? His wife mother would be around for any needed assistance!
2) Did he undergo any stress through out the pregnancy period? No! So a recovery leave is not needed
3) Does he need to loose some baby fat grin ? No! So a leave is not needed!
4) For the bonding! Hmm! The wife would be too weak for her to start all this romance stuff and she'll be all over the baby! She'll not have time for the man! So a leave is not needed!
5) What of men that have 4 wives? And each one get pregnant immediately after the other one gives birth! grin - You can't have paternity leave for one and don't have for the other! So ....... smiley

In conclusion, paternity leave is not needed for men!

3 Likes

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 12:32am On Oct 13, 2013
see them!!!! by their replies, you shall know them!!!!
see as many woman are quick to believe that men do NOT need paternity leave......
- as if we dont get woken up every time the baby cries at night
- as if we dont get tired from the new arrival and the changes at home
- as if for us it is just another walk in the park
- as if only women care for the baby
- as if men do not exist during these very important yrs
- as if carrying the baby for 9 months is the only thing that matters
- as if the stress of your mood swings and wahala is easy for us
- as if the stress of having this new arrival is just a walk in the parks for us.

thank God, in the real world, many countries give paternity leave.....actually in Denmark, the leave is given to BOTH parent, and they can chose who takes how much days from the total they have.

4 Likes

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 12:37am On Oct 13, 2013
MRbrownJAY: see them!!!! by their replies, you shall know them!!!!
see as many woman are quick to believe that men do NOT need paternity leave......
- as if the stress of having this new arrival is just a walk in the parks for us.

thank God, in the real world, many countries give paternity leave.....actually in Denmark, the leave is given to BOTH parent, and they can chose who takes how much days from the total they have.

This dude must be on the wrong thread.

5 Likes

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by blank(f): 1:58am On Oct 13, 2013
In Nigeria, the labour laws grant 2 days paternity leave to the new father. If your company is not doing it, they are breaking the law.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by uboma(m): 2:57am On Oct 13, 2013
homesteady: LOL! I don't think so!
1) What role would he play in the baby caring? His wife mother would be around for any needed assistance!
2) Did he undergo any stress through out the pregnancy period? No! So a recovery leave is not needed
3) Does he need to loose some baby fat grin ? No! So a leave is not needed!
4) For the bonding! Hmm! The wife would be too weak for her to start all this romance stuff and she'll be all over the baby! She'll not have time for the man! So a leave is not needed!
5) What of men that have 4 wives? And each one get pregnant immediately after the other one gives birth! grin - You can't have paternity leave for one and don't have for the other! So ....... smiley

In conclusion, paternity leave is not needed for men!

How old are you son? You need to grow up, probably then you will understand what fathers go thru. BTW paternity leave should be given to responsible men and not men who polygamous, who do not even know the actual number of children he has, who doesn't know them very well by name, who doesn't care for these children but allow them to roam the streets begging for alms. I say NO paternity leave to polygamous men

1 Like

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by uboma(m): 2:58am On Oct 13, 2013
ileobatojo:

This dude must be on the wrong thread.

It is you that shouldn't be on this thread...
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by uboma(m): 3:01am On Oct 13, 2013
blank: In Nigeria, the labour laws grant 2 days paternity leave to the new father. If your company is not doing it, they are breaking the law.

So many organizations here in Nigeria don't even have paternity leave listed under their conditions of service. What a pity!!!
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by uboma(m): 3:03am On Oct 13, 2013
MRbrownJAY: see them!!!! by their replies, you shall know them!!!!

Spot on!

1000, 000 likes
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Kanwulia: 3:31am On Oct 13, 2013
Like they will be useful around the house? grin

They would ALWAYS constitute MAJOR NUISANCEZZZZZ by picking unnecessary fights, make you SHOUT AND WEEP FOR MISTAKENLY BIRTHING ONE OF THEIR TADPOLES/FROGS.

They will NEVER stay up to help you, but remind you how you wanna fake this and that to seek attention.

They will pass out on the couch before 8PM for sure!

THEY CAN'T EVEN RE-HEAT PIZZA SLICES! undecided
Shebi to be disturbing the poor wives with such useless questions such as "THE BLOOD DON DEY DRY SMALL-SMALL? NNE ABEG I WAN PHOCK! TIME DON REASSSSSH O!" grin

No be NIGERIAN LAZY, "INCONSIDERATE BAGGAZZZZ"?

Of what use are they but to be phocking up and down every street alley. . . . Pinching the b00bzzz of all pure-water sellers in the neighborhood? undecided

Mtcheeeeeew!!!

8 Likes

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by tallbit: 3:32am On Oct 13, 2013

1 Like

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 3:58am On Oct 13, 2013
uboma:

It is you that shouldn't be on this thread...

And who is this one that can't read? Please don't quote me if you're not clever enough to understand my post please. I get highly irritated by stupidity.

4 Likes

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Babe2sure(f): 6:09am On Oct 13, 2013
Kanwulia: Like they will be useful around the house? grin

They would ALWAYS constitute MAJOR NUISANCEZZZZZ by picking unnecessary fights, make you SHOUT AND WEEP FOR MISTAKENLY BIRTHING ONE OF HIS TADPOLES/FROGS.

They will NEVER stay up to help you, but remind you how you wanna fake this and that to seek attention.

They will pass out on the couch before 8PM for sure!

THEY CAN'T EVEN RE-HEAT PIZZA SLICES! undecided
Shebi to be disturbing the poor wives with such useless questions such as "THE BLOOD DON DEY DRY SMALL-SMALL? NNE ABEG I WAN PHOCK! TIME DON REASSSSSH O!" grin

No be NIGERIAN LAZY, "INCONSIDERATE BAGGAZZZZ"?

Of what use are they but to be phocking up and down every street alley. . . . Pinching the b00bzzz of all pure-water sellers in the neighborhood? undecided

Mtcheeeeeew!!!

grin grin tongue
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by homesteady(m): 6:49am On Oct 13, 2013
uboma:

How old are son? BTW paternity leave should be given to responsible men and not men who polygamous, who do not even know the actual number of children he has, who doesn't know them very well by name, who doesn't care for these children but allow them to roam the streets begging for alms. I say NO paternity leave to polygamous men

So all polygamous men are irresponsible? undecided
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 6:57am On Oct 13, 2013
Yes
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 13, 2013
YES!!!! YES!!! YES!!!!

After having breastfeed the baby, I would love to go back to work. I don't want to stay at home for too Long.

Apart from that, children are always alone with their mothers but I think fathers are equally important and should ENJOY more responsibilities than just to provide for the family financially. I would love my future husband to be intensly involved in child raising. Both, boys and girls, need to have their father around more than just in the evenings or at weekends.
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 13, 2013
No,they don't need it,a good percentage of them will spend the leave not doing anything useful for mother and child anyways undecided
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 13, 2013
In advanced countries, the Grand parents most times don't go for omugo. But in Naija, most grand parents or SisterInlaws are there to assist.

Naija Men don't need paternity leave abeg! If not, na pregnancy things as per Kanwulia's post

cool cool

Na beer parlours dem go end up.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 10:55am On Oct 13, 2013

1 Like

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 11:51am On Oct 13, 2013
byvan: No,they don't need it,a good percentage of them will spend the leave not doing anything useful for mother and child anyways undecided

what you wrote is a direct example of where the problem lay, you actually believe that the maternity leave is ONLY to contribute to mother and child.......while it is to help the FAMILY, and as far as i remember the "father" is still part of that said family.

you actually believe that the new arrival makes no difference to us men.....that its just another day at the office for us. WRONG!!!! we go through the same stress/worries/problems etc as you women go through. how we choose to deal with the issue is irrelevant, the fact remains that we need the time off, just like you women do.

here is a clue for you better this subject: in the real world, a family who has a stillbirth is STILL entitled to all their maternity/paternity leave, even though there is NO baby to care for, duh!
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 13, 2013
Do women ever really get some time off?? undecided,the last time I checked,they are always doing one thing or the other.What should he be doing at home, if not to contribute to mother and child's welfare?

Well,they don't need no paternity leave IMO,someone like my hubby might need it because he ll spend it at home but most men dont undecided,especially the wakabouts undecided

2 Likes

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 13, 2013
^^if your hubby is stressed out because of the baby arrival, do you think he is going to do a good job at work? do you even think he will be a good husband/father?

i guess in your world, women are always doing "one thing or the other" while men simply do nothing, right?
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Jbluv55(m): 12:48pm On Oct 13, 2013
chaircover: 2 weeks paternity leave for oga oooooooo . . . .more sef if its paid cheesy

There are so many things he can help with from arranging naming ceremony to cooking, to helping with the baby while I get some sleep.

You both made the baby and you should both have the joy of looking after the baby tongue

where I work, even parents that are adopting babies/kids get paid paternity/maternity leave.

seriously its a time for the whole family to bond and to implement a routine that works for them all

My inclinations are in this direction (mainly the bolded wink and I dnt think I hav anything more to add.smiley
NB: The quoted post is a lady's.
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 13, 2013
No paternity leave for men!!!!!!!!except for responsible ones ofcourse tongue tongue tongue.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 13, 2013
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by pickabeau1: 1:21pm On Oct 13, 2013
Lol at byvan
She can't change

Yes at topic
Just as you have irresponsible fathers ou have irresponsible mothers too
Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 13, 2013
@CC,since they can't work out the difference, then they should simply increase the maternity leave grin

Of course no one is painting all as bad,but some are really horrible, giving them leave ll be doing their wives great injustice.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Get Paternity Leave? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 13, 2013
If a man will claim to be stressed out after his baby's arrival,the woman that passed through the actual hell can as well claim............Dying undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Help!,how Would I Resurrect My Social Life?. / He Wants To Turn her into a Robot after Marriage / Is He Secretive Or I'm Being Nosy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.