Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage (7490 Views)

Wife To Separate From Husband For Relocating Too Much / Should Married Couples Have Their Separate Rooms? / At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by niceandkul: 8:22am On Jul 03, 2008
Do you ever wonder why married people live in separate rooms after long years of marriage?
Couples marry and live in the same room but over time they live in different rooms.

Is it normal or is it our culture or is it just particular to certain tribes?
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by ladybam(f): 11:14am On Jul 03, 2008
@ topic

i wonder grin
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by francessby(f): 2:16pm On Jul 03, 2008
It's a normal thing now
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by beauteous(f): 2:25pm On Jul 03, 2008
IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME
why wud we sleep seprately after
many yrs of sleepin together. . . .

Even @ 1000yrs,i xpect us to stil share same room

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by kokoye(m): 2:34pm On Jul 03, 2008
Well, people have different reasons.

The things that matter to you as young couples really might not matter to the old folks anymore, theyve been there, done that.

take my parents for example, married over 40yrs. my mom wants to pray for her husband, children and grandkids in the middle of the night when there's dead silence but my dad wants to sleep - so they sleep in different rooms most of the time.  This works perfectly for them because they are now like brother and sister, after being together for that long.

so, it's up to them as long as it works.  But i am not recommending that for young ones though.

1 Like

Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Nautillus(m): 2:52pm On Jul 03, 2008
Funyy thing is . . .My parents were like that from when i was a kid. They only moved in together(in one room that is) abt 10 years back.
That see it as strnge then . . . but thinking abt it now . . .hmm . . .
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by CARUSO(m): 2:58pm On Jul 03, 2008
ko si big deal to be honest

hidden agendas and lack of interest is the cause in most cases!
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Sisikill: 3:13pm On Jul 03, 2008
Interesting Topic.

A few months ago, a few friends and I had a discussion on how things had changed with regards to sex on TV. In the 50s, it used to be that couples on TV where never shown in a bedroom, let alone doing the nasty but then it slowly changed, they started showing couples in the same room but different beds, then they went from that to sleeping on the same bed but with the wife always wearing a night amour for nightgown. She’d be covered from head to toe, not a single piece of flesh showing. Today. . . well, we are all know how it is today.

In the old days, people were very conservative about sex, what you did was your private business and yours alone. Couples sleeping in the same room pretty much advertised sex to the public which was like a “Whoa! Whoa! Hellooo! Too much information! We do not need to know that, thank you very much” [/i]kinda thing. So even though every year & a half the wife pops out a kid, people would rather not know how she accomplished that (probably convinced themselves it was a reenactment of the virgin birth. . . 7 times in one family) They’d rather believe the wife was still as [i]virginite as the day she was born, hence the need for separate rooms.

I doubt we’ll find any couple subscribing to the separate bedroom idea today. Please, we are even forced to beg people to get a room because they are ready to go at it in public. So it’s safe to say separate bedrooms went away with our parent’s generation.
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Sisikill: 3:19pm On Jul 03, 2008
kokoye:

Well, people have different reasons.

The things that matter to you as young couples really might not matter to the old folks anymore, theyve been there, done that.

t[b]ake my parents for example, married over 40yrs. my mom wants to pray for her husband, children and grandkids in the middle of the night when there's dead silence but my dad wants to sleep - so they sleep in different rooms most of the time. This works perfectly for them because they are now like brother and sister, after being together for that long. [/b]

so, it's up to them as long as it works. But i am not recommending that for young ones though.

Same here however I wouldn't go as far as saying they were like brother and sister but the passion for being sexed up all the time was definitely gone, what they had was what I like to call a very intimate companionship. It was actually quite sweet watching them together.
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by TOH(f): 3:24pm On Jul 03, 2008
weird to me.

Only time couples are known for doing that IMO is when they are fighting with each other.
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Sisikill: 3:46pm On Jul 03, 2008
TOH:

weird to me.

Only time couples are known for doing that IMO is when they are fighting with each other.

LOL. . . really? I tell you, the other way was weird to me (how warped is that?). All the couples I knew growing up had separate rooms. . . my friends parents, my aunts, uncles and for some reason, moms' rooms were always accessible and dads' were always the no go area.
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by niceandkul: 6:12pm On Jul 03, 2008
well in my opinion we have learnt alot from our parents and we tend to copy them and make use of them when the times comes
sincerely speaking its not a good idea to sleep in different rooms when you grow old
if your marriage as really to be envied for others to copy,you must stay together till death do you part.

be good all the time
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Mesmerize(f): 6:14pm On Jul 03, 2008
Why are you married in the first place if you're going to have separate rooms? you be house mates?

Rubbish, it doesn't make sense undecided
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by CH3COO(m): 6:15pm On Jul 03, 2008
Maybe that's the reason for success in Nigerian marriages . Couples not in the same room nagging each other to death.
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Gamine(f): 6:40pm On Jul 03, 2008
My parents have always been in the same room and still are.

Which kain madness be this, seperate rooms ke
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Radiant(f): 7:00pm On Jul 03, 2008
Don't know about you guys but I'll definitely have my own room in my home when I get married. Won't be sleeping there when my husband is around but will always go there to "chill". Nothing like my privacy. I know myself very well and I know I need my own room designed the way I want. cheesy It's part of the things I'll discuss with "him" before marriage. kiss
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by TOH(f): 7:21pm On Jul 03, 2008
Radiant:

Don't know about you guys but I'll definitely have my own room in my home when I get married. Won't be sleeping there when my husband is around but will always go there to "chill". Nothing like my privacy. I know myself very well and I know I need my own room designed the way I want. cheesy It's part of the things I'll discuss with "him" before marriage. kiss

Good idea of course. It's the whole sleeping in a room separate from your husband that doesnt make sense to me
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Radiant(f): 7:24pm On Jul 03, 2008
TOH:

Good idea of course. It's the whole sleeping in a room separate from your husband that doesnt make sense to me

I wonder why you left my Mom's womb at 8 months and entered your Mom's cheesy Me sister, how u deh? kiss
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by rubi(f): 7:27pm On Jul 03, 2008
@ Topic, It creates a lot of suspicions to have separate rooms some people think it is cute but it is not
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by sherrylo: 8:04pm On Jul 03, 2008
There is no point!If its my husband then we got sleep TOGETHER.

1 Like

Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by TOH(f): 8:25pm On Jul 03, 2008
Radiant:

I wonder why you left my Mom's womb at 8 months and entered your Mom's cheesy Me sister, how u deh? kiss

Lmao. you were hogging up all the room! so i left to get some space. Lmao kiss Im fine darling, hope all is well with you smiley
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 03, 2008
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by TOH(f): 9:37pm On Jul 03, 2008
chaircover:

Could it also be that by the time madam reahes 50 she has over 1,000 handbags & 2,000 pairs of shoes so really she needs her own room wink

So instead of putting thsoe things in another room, it makes sense for her to also move with them?
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Esss(m): 9:38pm On Jul 03, 2008
@ Topic

This is a result of what I've been saying ever since. Love has an expiration date, and for most marriages that date is after over 100 sex bouts, 3 - 8 Kids and co-existing for over 15 - 25 years.
At that point the only thing keeping them togerther is formality and lack of any other choice. It's almost like they cant stand the sight of each other.
So my advice is to milk the cow while you still can, cos a few years from now, that milk might just go sour. (and turn to yogourt)
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by TOH(f): 9:47pm On Jul 03, 2008
I take it marriage is not in the cards for you.
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Radiant(f): 9:54pm On Jul 03, 2008
TOH:

Lmao. you were hogging up all the room! so i left to get some space. Lmao kiss I'm fine darling, hope all is well with you smiley

True. My Mom said I weighed 4.2kg at birth grin Sowey though cheesy kiss I'm very fine. D'u understand my new signature? wink cheesy
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Esss(m): 9:54pm On Jul 03, 2008
TOH:

I take it marriage is not in the cards for you.

It is o!

Thats why I'm seriously milking my balls cow now and preparing myself for the rainy days.
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by TOH(f): 10:00pm On Jul 03, 2008
Radiant:

True. My Mom said I weighed 4.2kg at birth grin Sowey though cheesy kiss I'm very fine. D'u understand my new signature? wink cheesy

Lol Big girl grin

No i dont! Ive been staring at it for hrs and I still dont get it undecided
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Radiant(f): 10:15pm On Jul 03, 2008
TOH:

No i don't! Ive been staring at it for hrs and I still don't get it undecided

You've forgotten the big long awaited thursday It's over now cheesy Tiffy, pls get it this time smiley
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by TOH(f): 10:30pm On Jul 03, 2008
kiss Thank God. I'm happy for you! grinyes im slow

I hope I wont be charged for your service since I was your rock. Rofl tongue
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by Radiant(f): 10:50pm On Jul 03, 2008
Lmao! wink Anything for you grin
Re: Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage by TOH(f): 11:27pm On Jul 03, 2008
kiss Time for a real vacation! smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Don't Know If My Husband Is Cheating On Me / Baldness And Depression / Bitter Truth: Why Some Ladies Will Never Get Married.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.