Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,909 members, 7,814,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... (25721 Views)

Pls!!how Much Is Needed To Get A Fibroid Surgery Done / Nigerian Girl Dies In Thailand After Buttock Surgery Fails / Cosmetic [Plastic] Surgery is So Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by obailala(m): 3:14pm On Oct 16, 2013
Sanguine: Now does anyone wonder why the people in the medical field are called medical practitioners
That's simply because they are still practicising ...with human lives, sadly! Or how else could anyone explain this?!

Madam are u suggesting that our doctors sit down and wait for NEPA to return power before they save precious lives??... Someone just mentioned a case of a woman in labour and a CS had to be done with a torch; are u suggesting they leave a woman in labour until she bleeds to death while waiting for NEPA to return power??.... I've heard cases of our doctors being pushed to do this even since the 90s

IMO, Nigerian doctors have to be some of the best in the world for being able to work in these hospitals under inhospitable conditions. God help us!

2 Likes

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by odume10: 3:15pm On Oct 16, 2013
Has any of u condemning The President given it a thought that this could be a private hospital? because phcn went off so what? dose it not happen in other climes I.e power going off.
If the hospital's backup could fail how about phcn? was the president supposed to make sure the hospital's backup is up and running?
most of you are related to pol who embezzle monies mentioned for development in ministries and parastatals and u are blaming Mr president for individual's misdeeds.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by PapiDShipCapt(m): 3:32pm On Oct 16, 2013
Was d surgery successful? If yes, NEXT PATIENT)))))))))))))}}}}}!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by angelmikky707(m): 3:42pm On Oct 16, 2013
Na wa Oooo...
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 16, 2013

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by PTAwal: 3:47pm On Oct 16, 2013
There's nothing one cannot see in this our dear country @ 53. Independence indeed.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by pappilo(m): 3:50pm On Oct 16, 2013
oyinmama: It isn't a new occurrence. Back in 2003, I remember using a phone torch to carry on with a Caesarian section at Adeoyo Hospital in Ibadan. PHCN had done its worst during surgery, main generator and back-up had both broken down. We couldn't stop, so we made do with the torch of those small Nokia phones back then to finish. There were also instances when I had to set up intravenous fluid infusion for babies via the scalp using lantern light held up by colleagues.......

This happens in the US and UK too so kini big deal?
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 16, 2013
Pulleease bunch of bloody liarz..
Which part of Nigeria..
Bãstards..who let u into the theatre hall in the 1st place..
Even aboki shops now av generator...
Ahn ahn dis lie is 2 much..
A whole hospital doesn't av gen..ok d gen is faulty....

Tell me they dont av emergency rechargeable lamps...

Libelous bunch of rebels
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Mamacita007(f): 3:57pm On Oct 16, 2013
after they will blame poor nurses & doctors when the problem is with our govt. we have quality healthcare professionals that are willing to help even with lack of electricity

which way nigeria?
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by pasco30(m): 4:00pm On Oct 16, 2013
Get well soon my dear country
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by pbling: 4:04pm On Oct 16, 2013
9ja i de hail oo,na wao we r third world country nt 2nd
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Ademat7(m): 4:12pm On Oct 16, 2013
Can any1 convince m dat 1.a doctor can't afford to buy a small gen 4 d hospital even though little charges for fuel ll b collected frm patient since notin is free even in freetown 2.no religious body can donate 1 gen or inverter?
Am of d opinion dat basic necessities should b gotten b4 some other things,power is a need not a want
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by kolidave: 4:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
Rejoice5000: i didn't see any pix though but tru ur writeup if Nigeria is not favourable to u relocate to GHANA PLS @ POST.ur ex president were did he die?? in Nigeria or outside the country. romatter wat learn to appreciate Nigeria pls.
so ur point is that using lantern during surgery is right ? There's no sense in ur comment. .no hard feelings.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Bimpss(f): 4:19pm On Oct 16, 2013
And some idïots are here blaming the doctors, what do you expect them to do in a situation like this. Leave the patient in the middle of surgery, and wait for the power to come back on?? That makes absolutely no sense at all. A good doctor makes use of whatever they can get their hands on in order to save a patient's life, including using a torchlight when there is a power outage. Whatever happens, the show must go on! You can't leave your patient to die because their is no light. It is a flimsy excuse. This shows how dedicated some Nigerian doctors are, in the midst of nothing they make use of the little they have. Nigerian doctors in my opinion are not appreciated enough and are very underrated.

2 Likes

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by ziccoit: 4:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
This is an everyday occurrence in a Nigerian hospital so, stop being an alarmist. If there is anything; give a big thump up to the doctors who keep on working and getting results despite the deplorable health facilities in Nigerian hospitals. Why do you think those goats travel abroad for ordinary medical check up?
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by binhozie(m): 4:35pm On Oct 16, 2013
arctoni:
And ar we supos 2 clap 4 u or wat.......xo u mean dr s notin new se......u ar toyin wit pple's lif

Pls who has the English interpretation of this thrash?
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by helpee(m): 4:47pm On Oct 16, 2013
Hello.....doctors went on strike because of poor working condition, nigerians said they are always on strike. Now a pix surface online of doctors operating with rechargeable, u are saying they are practising with human lives. Na wah oh. What happened here is a common scenario. PHCN takes light, while waiting for the generator man to put on the generator, u put on a temporary light. It still happened to me today...infact in the last 30minutes, I was operating a woman with abdominal sepsis secondary to septic abortion and PHCN took light. Of course we put on our nokia phones torch light for two minutes while waiting for the generator to come. For your information, this patient is yet to deposit a kobo so u can start hurling insult at me that I should have bought a UPS inverter. I am doing my best in my liTtle way to help my countrymen and if u think I am practising with people's life, that's your opinion

8 Likes

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by amaboss(m): 5:00pm On Oct 16, 2013
Latern? Okay they meant rechargeable lanterns I thought it was kerosene lamp oo
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2013
kolidave: I'm embarrased cos what dey did is a disgrace to the country,its just so absurd... If dey knew they didn't satisfy all d criterias to do a surgery why do it with a lamp and risk the life of a patient. I know the government are to be blamed but this doctors have a little blame too

what did the doctors do this time around?
no doc enters the theater with a lantern, this is most likely to be due to power failure in the middle of the whole thing
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 5:05pm On Oct 16, 2013
Bimpss: And some idïots are here blaming the doctors, what do you expect them to do in a situation like this. Leave the patient in the middle of surgery, and wait for the power to come back on?? That makes absolutely no sense at all. A good doctor makes use of whatever they can get their hands on in order to save a patient's life, including using a torchlight when there is a power outage. Whatever happens, the show must go on! You can't leave your patient to die because their is no light. It is a flimsy excuse. This shows how dedicated some Nigerian doctors are, in the midst of nothing they make use of the little they have. Nigerian doctors in my opinion are not appreciated enough and are very underrated.

what do they know kwanu
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
Why are you guys shocked?
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Leopantro: 5:21pm On Oct 16, 2013
I'm surprised people are finding this strange. this is a normal occurrence in most government owned hospitals. would you want the doctors to insist that electricity be restored before the surgery be done while the patient dies ? imagine your brother getting shot and you rush to a hospital where you are told the backup generators are not working. the next thing is "doctor, do something. you swore an oath".the doctor goes ahead to save his life with rechargable lamps because he is a humanitarian. meanwhile, unknown to anyone, your brother is HIV positive.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by claremont(m): 5:26pm On Oct 16, 2013
Our medical professionals should really be praised for the miracles they perform everyday working in these kind of conditions. This is what I would call 'Bush medicine' i.e. practising medicine under bush conditions.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Enkaynwa(f): 5:31pm On Oct 16, 2013
Lol.
I remember the hospital i had my 2nd baby, labour started around 1am, we got to d hospital, there was no light there everywhere was dark, my husband was not comfortable with this, he wanted us to leave but i was already havin d urge to push, the nurses had to use the torchlight in their phones. Thank God i gave birth immediately & safely too.
A private hospital o.
The most annoying part of it was that we had to pay several thousands of naira for this.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by sheniqua: 5:51pm On Oct 16, 2013
kolidave: I stumbled across this photo today and I was shocked disgraced & embarrassed. What is the health sector of this country turning into. Now I know why people travel abroad to have their medical checkups and treatments..... By looking at the photo,can't imagine what would have happened if there was a casualty during the surgery leading to the loss of life and once again PHCN & GOVERNMENT will be in for it ..... Plz scroll down for the photo.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1359016_poor_naijaaaa_jpg4a8f22867c8a438081ee5b4f4487a05a

What hospital is this please
It needs to be named and shamed
What a mess
This is right in the operating room o
See all the lights they were supposed to have but someone is holding up a lantern ?
Tua
We heard at the old UNTH before they moved to the new site,the grasses were so unkempt that snakes will come in during surgery and the surgeons and nurses will leave the patient and scatter while the maiguard will be chasing the snake with cutlass
Imagine?
What chance does that patient have?
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by eluquenson(m): 5:57pm On Oct 16, 2013
Services are rendered in this bleeping country according to your purse, poor services are mostly occurred at govt hospital
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by sheniqua: 5:57pm On Oct 16, 2013
I am wondering,how do they work the diathermy to stop bleeding?
How about surgical drills abi na hammer and chisel den dey use?
What if patient requires oxygen ?
What do they do then?
This is sick!!!
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by shocks1(m): 6:00pm On Oct 16, 2013
Do wateva u've 2 do to save lives dats d idea behind d practice.....
KUDOs 2 all Naija docs
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by shocks1(m): 6:05pm On Oct 16, 2013
Do whatever you have to do to save lives that's the idea behind the practice.....
KUDOs 2 all Naija doctors
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Osama10(m): 6:19pm On Oct 16, 2013
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by obailala(m): 6:23pm On Oct 16, 2013
NIGERIA DOCTORS ARE HEROES

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects / Three COVID-19 Patients Die In Sokoto / Top 5 Deadly Diseases You Don't Know Exist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.