Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... (25719 Views)

Pls!!how Much Is Needed To Get A Fibroid Surgery Done / Nigerian Girl Dies In Thailand After Buttock Surgery Fails / Cosmetic [Plastic] Surgery is So Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 16, 2013
A big 21 gun salute to all the nija doctors.....i love u.....that means they can work in a war zone and still do wonders........i so wanted to be a doctor back in the days....i wish i had the chance cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by IYANGBALI: 6:27pm On Oct 16, 2013
oyinmama: It isn't a new occurrence. Back in 2003, I remember using a phone torch to carry on with a Caesarian section at Adeoyo Hospital in Ibadan. PHCN had done its worst during surgery, main generator and back-up had both broken down. We couldn't stop, so we made do with the torch of those small Nokia phones back then to finish. There were also instances when I had to set up intravenous fluid infusion for babies via the scalp using lantern light held up by colleagues.......
why una no strike dat time?abi una no get strikers like we get today?
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 16, 2013
IYA NGBALI: why una no strike dat time?abi una no get strikers like we get today?

what is this one saying......she well so
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by havilaLAGOS: 6:56pm On Oct 16, 2013
is that not my lontor lamp I left in sch
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by zenkrisyl: 7:05pm On Oct 16, 2013
Wetin person no go see for niaja
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by toshmann(m): 7:08pm On Oct 16, 2013
This shows how wonderful Nigerian doctors are. In the face of extreme difficulties they still get to do their job.

As a medical student I have been in the OR when the lights went off and believe me we had to use candle light to finish the surgery. I've also been in a situation where an unplanned emergency surgery had to take place, believe me there was no light, no ambulance to carry the patient, no operation room ( the operation room was locked and the guy in charge was not around) the chief surgeon insisted that the surgery MUST be done that night or else the patient may be lost in 24hrs. We were lucky the blood bank was open and the guy in charge there was dedicated enough to wait with us till midnight when the surgery was eventually done. . . . . . . . . . succesfully, Initially with lamp and then the generator guy later came and gave us power in the middle of the surgery.

If someone appreciates, pls give a shout out to the dedicated unknown and perhaps unappreciated yet hardworking Nigerian Doctor smiley

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by sonnel: 7:10pm On Oct 16, 2013
oyinmama: It isn't a new occurrence. Back in 2003, I remember using a phone torch to carry on with a Caesarian section at Adeoyo Hospital in Ibadan. PHCN had done its worst during surgery, main generator and back-up had both broken down. We couldn't stop, so we made do with the torch of those small Nokia phones back then to finish. There were also instances when I had to set up intravenous fluid infusion for babies via the scalp using lantern light held up by colleagues.......
in 2003,no phcn &dia was no phone with torch light so na lie u dey lie.i no u re jokin sha

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by kolidave: 7:11pm On Oct 16, 2013
Mod I wonder why you changed my topic ooooo. And that's not how to spell lantern',u spelt it 'lattern'. No offense,buh ur use of English is terrible ooooo,that's not a dental surgery and definately not a lantern. Its a fluorescent lamp Abeg. Abeg u for just kuku leave ma headline like that instead of this blunder u put as topic. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by kolidave: 7:18pm On Oct 16, 2013
sheniqua: I am wondering,how do they work the diathermy to stop bleeding?
How about surgical drills abi na hammer and chisel den dey use?
What if patient requires oxygen ?
What do they do then?
This is sick!!!
abi oooo. I tire ooooo
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by ebonydam(f): 7:25pm On Oct 16, 2013
not all surgeries req diathermy, and d oxygen cylinder doesnt need electricity to wrk d same way ur gas cooker doesnt workwit ele tricity.
now, instead of blaming docs, u should actually giv dem kudos for being able to save lives despite d harsh working conditions.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by deols(f): 7:40pm On Oct 16, 2013
Nonso23:

I quote Steve Jobs (RIP) thus
''Be a yardstick for quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected''
Anything worth doing is worth doing well!

I wonder why anyone with a chance to having it all would settle for less especially when the less is this dangerous.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by deols(f): 7:41pm On Oct 16, 2013
pappilo:

This happens in the US and UK too so kini big deal?

hahahha..

and so?
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by deols(f): 7:42pm On Oct 16, 2013
Leopantro: I'm surprised people are finding this strange. this is a normal occurrence in most government owned hospitals. would you want the doctors to insist that electricity be restored before the surgery be done while the patient dies ? imagine your brother getting shot and you rush to a hospital where you are told the backup generators are not working. the next thing is "doctor, do something. you swore an oath".the doctor goes ahead to save his life with rechargable lamps because he is a humanitarian. meanwhile, unknown to anyone, your brother is HIV positive.

the Hiv part undecided

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by deols(f): 7:43pm On Oct 16, 2013
sheniqua: I am wondering,how do they work the diathermy to stop bleeding?
How about surgical drills abi na hammer and chisel den dey use?
What if patient requires oxygen ?
What do they do then?
This is sick!!!

good questions..what if it is a surgery requiring diathermy?

but Oxygen does not require electricity.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by sunex: 7:44pm On Oct 16, 2013
Dats Naija for u...
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by helpee(m): 8:00pm On Oct 16, 2013
U still don't understand the condition under which an average doctor works in nigeria. Diathermy is a luxury in most theatres and nigerian doctors still use different methods available to control bleeding. Diathermy is only one of the many ways u can control bleeding. So if diathermy stop working the doctor still works
deols:

good questions..what if it is a surgery requiring diathermy?

but Oxygen does not require electricity.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by tnktosin(m): 8:26pm On Oct 16, 2013
arctoni:
And ar we supos 2 clap 4 u or wat.......xo u mean dr s notin new se......u ar toyin wit pple's lif
In English please
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by thorpido(m): 8:27pm On Oct 16, 2013
Enkaynwa: Lol.
I remember the hospital i had my 2nd baby, labour started around 1am, we got to d hospital, there was no light there everywhere was dark, my husband was not comfortable with this, he wanted us to leave but i was already havin d urge to push, the nurses had to use the torchlight in their phones. Thank God i gave birth immediately & safely too.
A private hospital o.
The most annoying part of it was that we had to pay several thousands of naira for this.
Na N100 you wan pay.See typical Nigerian patient.They want free services and wonder why doctors don't have big generators et al.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by ACM10: 8:39pm On Oct 16, 2013
This is a normal occurrence in Nigeria. I was the second assistant in total laryngectomy surgery in one of the elite hospitals in Nigeria. Midway into the surgery, PHCN did their worst. The hospital's standby generator took forever to start. We completed the surgery with phone torch. That's how medicine is practised in Nigeria. So embarrassing.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by kolidave: 8:43pm On Oct 16, 2013
Wait ooooooo!!!!! *cleans eyes* why is everyone giving and siting examples and at d middle of d story say ' using a torch light/mobile phone torch' so dis tin don turn normal tin for naija hospitals..... #faintzzzzz
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by naptu2: 8:47pm On Oct 16, 2013
1) No diesel/petrol (Nupeng/Pengasson has gone on strike again. Tanker drivers have gone on strike. Price of petrol/diesel has suddenly been increased and petrol stations are hoarding the product).

2) Generator has packed up from overuse (no public power supply, or very little for 3 weeks/1 month. The standby/back up generator is no longer standby/back up, but the main source of power and has developed a fault).

3) No money (Government has not released money to fix the generator. Executive and legislature cannot agree on the budget. Oga has stolen the money. There are "higher priorities" ).

These are things that I've heard since the mid-1990s.

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Brachio: 8:48pm On Oct 16, 2013
@ sanguine.....u are really a novice,so don't say anything derisive abt d medical profession.They are still d ones u run to when u feel death is lurking. The leaders are our problem. Most of u lay people don't know what doctors pass thru to save patients' lives. These doctors work in d worst conditiions unimaginable.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by collynzo2(m): 8:51pm On Oct 16, 2013
sonnel: in 2003,no phcn &dia was no phone with torch light so na lie u dey lie.i no u re jokin sha
Bros no need to add the ''just joking sha'' the girl is obviouly lying. I want to know the torch light phones available in Nigeria as at 2003.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:05pm On Oct 16, 2013
oyinmama:
Like I said, the surgery had started before lights went off, the generators were also previously working. Not certain how you would want to stabilize a woman undergoing a Caesarian section, baby out already and continue later .....

Kudos to you and ur fellow collegues. You guys tried to peform ur duties and manage a situation brought about by our failed government. It still baffles me how an oil-rich nation like ours got to this point of stagnation. Healthcare, education, basic infratrusture, powern industry...the list goes on. When will the corrupt leaders decide to hear d cries of the masses and perform their duties as expected of an elect? angry
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by tuyota(m): 9:11pm On Oct 16, 2013
naptu2: 1) No diesel/petrol (Nupeng/Pengasson has gone on strike again. Tanker drivers have gone on strike. Price of petrol/diesel has suddenly been increased and petrol stations are hoarding the product).

2) Generator has packed up from overuse (no public power supply, or very little for 3 weeks/1 month. The standby/back up generator is no longer standby/back up, but the main source of power and has developed a fault).

3) No money (Government has not released money to fix the generator. Executive and legislature cannot agree on the budget. Oga has stolen the money. There are "higher priorities" ).

These are things that I've heard since the mid-1990s.

Please don't forget to add number 4 - The Chief Medical Director (CMD) may have pocketed the allocation for hospital maintenance even if it is meagre. A few good men who try to utilise the allocation to run the hospital judiciously are hounded with threats for "trying to block others from chopping the money".

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 16, 2013
speedyboi: And what is the name of this hospital? undecided for all I know this could be another cameroon hospital picture....like that of the overcrowded prison that made frontpage months ago. All these sourceless pictures sef. Tchw.

So how do you expect anyone to do anything about it when we don't know where this happened?

*hisses out of thread*
This is LUTH.... Don't ask me further.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by oyinmama(f): 11:09pm On Oct 16, 2013
IYA NGBALI: why una no strike dat time?abi una no get strikers like we get today?
No vex wink
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by oyinmama(f): 11:23pm On Oct 16, 2013
sonnel: in 2003,no phcn &dia was no phone with torch light so na lie u dey lie.i no u re jokin sha
I have no reason to lie or joke about such a serious matter my dear. Yes, there were Nokia phones with flashlights then, and yes, it was NEPA then before it became PHCN about two years later in 2005 ( I think)..

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by naptu2: 11:29pm On Oct 16, 2013
tuyota:

Please don't forget to add number 4 - The Chief Medical Director (CMD) may have pocketed the allocation for hospital maintenance even if it is meagre. A few good men who try to utilise the allocation to run the hospital judiciously are hounded with threats for "trying to block others from chopping the money".

That's already covered by number 3
Oga has stolen the money.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by oyinmama(f): 11:34pm On Oct 16, 2013
collynzo2: Bros no need to add the ''just joking sha'' the girl is obviouly lying. I want to know the torch light phones available in Nigeria as at 2003.
I will take the 'girl' bit as a compliment smiley. Let me give you that assignment of finding out what phones we used back then......how old were you in 2003?
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Pennywise(m): 1:10am On Oct 17, 2013
oyinmama:
I will take the 'girl' bit as a compliment smiley. Let me give you that assignment of finding out what phones we used back then......how old were you in 2003?

Thanks for sharing ur experience even though too much energy was expended addressing problems of NL homegrown weeds -always stubborn and unyielding. Supposedly knowledgeable docs in their haste to condemn Nig doctors are ignorant of the fact that there are ways to stop operational bleeding besides diathermy.

Our doctors should be judged on competence and quality of care. U can not live in Lagos, pay Lagos rates and expect to have a Mayo Clinic theater with all accourtrements. But u can hold your doctor to task if that surgery doesnt go well. As far as I know no Nig doctor has attempted to explain away his incompetence on account of an unsteady power supply that has been with us forever.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

RSS Officers Rush Woman In Labour To Hospital In Ketu (photos) / Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects / Three COVID-19 Patients Die In Sokoto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.