Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,773 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? (8509 Views)

The New Testament Prophets Defined. / Understanding "Power To Get Wealth" In The Light Of The New Testament / False Prophecies Of The New Testament (bible) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by MostHigh: 9:09am On Oct 19, 2013
ayoku777:

Hmm, so Aaron and Moses didn't need the death and resurrection of Christ to find justification? Jesus only died for the 'rest of us'?

The Order of Melchizedek and hence the priesthood of Melchizedek and all the sacrifices pertained therein predate the birth of yashua.

Yasua Ibn joseph and all his true followers are of the order of Melchizedek. smiley

Your statement is that none could perceive what was behind the veil before it was rent from top to bottom.

And my response is, that is completely false. smiley
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 10:14am On Oct 19, 2013
^^^^^^
Pondering a little on what you said and you are right. Moses had to veil his face in the first place as Hebrews attested so he was behind the veil also the priests were the only ones that had access to behind the veil from time to time till it was rent in 2. Nice.

No wonder even Paul could understand this well due to his being a Pharisee himself. Acts 23:6.
Surprisingly Jesus sent a pharisee to preach to gentiles but He had given a teaser in Matthew 13:52.

4 Likes

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by MostHigh: 10:50am On Oct 19, 2013
Alwaystrue: ^^^^^^
Pondering a little on what you said and you are right. Moses had to veil his face in the first place as Hebrews attested so he was behind the veil also the priests were the only ones that had access to behind the veil from time to time till it was rent in 2. Nice.

No wonder even Paul could understand this well due to his being a Pharisee himself. Acts 23:6.
Surprisingly Jesus sent a pharisee to preach to gentiles but He had given a teaser in Matthew 13:52.

True words.smiley

Things new and old indeed... spirit and truth can never be seperated

Also what this means by extension is that at the death on the cross as the veil was rent all of us were presented with equal opportunity to be as Moses, Elijah Arron and the host of heaven. Living an examplery life of self sacrifice. smiley

these ones saw God face to face, as in behind the veil

These ones were set Apart, Holy, Qoudesh. smiley

These are the sons of the most high God. smiley

The order of melchizedek.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by damipaul(m): 3:01pm On Oct 19, 2013
MostHigh:

True words.smiley

Things new and old indeed... spirit and truth can never be seperated

Also what this means by extension is that at the death on the cross as the veil was rent all of us were presented with equal opportunity to be as Moses, Elijah Arron and the host of heaven. Living an examplery life of self sacrifice. smiley

these ones saw God face to face, as in behind the veil

These ones were set Apart, Holy, Qoudesh. smiley

These are the sons of the most high God. smiley

The order of melchizedek.

An access we didn't have until Jesus died and ascended to heaven.
Besides, before we start bringing Melchizedec into this communion let's remember this; Heb 7:17 For it is declared:
"You are a priest forever,
in the order of Melchizedek."[t]

18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

20 And it was not without an oath! Others became priests without any oath, 21 but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him:
"The Lord has sworn
and will not change his mind:
'You are a priest forever.'"[t]

22 Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantor of a better covenant.

23 Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; 24 but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood.
The priesthood of Melchizedek is untransferable, not to humans or anybody but to only Jesus who lives forever and intercedes daily on ourbehalves

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 19, 2013
MostHigh:

The Order of Melchizedek and hence the priesthood of Melchizedek and all the sacrifices pertained therein predate the birth of yashua.

Yasua Ibn joseph and all his true followers are of the order of Melchizedek. smiley

Your statement is that none could perceive what was behind the veil before it was rent from top to bottom.

And my response is, that is completely false. smiley
It goes far deeper than any of us can imagine,It all started way back from genesis when God was giving a clear cut separation from Cain who killed righteous Abel and left the presence of God to do his own thing and Seth.Scripture records that Enoch walked with God for 300yrs from 65yrs old.Another meaning of walk is commune . The communion Enoch had with God was so intense that He prophesied the coming of the Lord with His holy ones to judge the Earth.Jude 14.

We have to come to a place where communing with God should be our topmost priority.We achieve that by SITTING with the WORD till it causes an internal and eternal change in us.Most of us rush off when we get just a wisp of revelation.And that is not helping us really.

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 3:48pm On Oct 19, 2013
@Bidam,
Thanks for that word. I just went to check it out below. Enoch was so close to God, God had to take him. That is another level. I thank God for His revelations.

Jude 14-16
14 Enoch, who lived in the seventh generation after Adam, prophesied about these people. He said, “Listen! The Lord is coming with countless thousands of his holy ones

15 to execute judgment on the people of the world. He will convict every person of all the ungodly things they have done and for all the insults that ungodly sinners have spoken against him.”

16 These people are grumblers and complainers, living only to satisfy their desires. They brag loudly about themselves, and they flatter others to get what they want.

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 19, 2013
Alwaystrue: @Bidam,
Thanks for that word. I just went to check it out below. Enoch was so close to God, God had to take him. That is another level. I thank God for His revelations.

Jude 14-16
14 Enoch, who lived in the seventh generation after Adam, prophesied about these people. He said, “Listen! The Lord is coming with countless thousands of his holy ones

15 to execute judgment on the people of the world. He will convict every person of all the ungodly things they have done and for all the insults that ungodly sinners have spoken against him.”

16 These people are grumblers and complainers, living only to satisfy their desires. They brag loudly about themselves, and they flatter others to get what they want.
You are welcome,Just going back to the book of genesis to study it again and i noticed 3 distinct clear things God was doing which also reflects what the NT is all about when we turn to the Lord. "SEPARATION,IDENTITY AND ELECTION".
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Goshen360(m): 4:41pm On Oct 19, 2013
Bidam: You are welcome,Just going back to the book of genesis to study it again and i noticed 3 distinct clear things God was doing which also reflects what the NT is all about when we turn to the Lord. "SEPARATION,IDENTITY AND ELECTION".

cheesy

Now, you gradually coming up. Keep studying the OT again with the LENS OR REVELATION FROM THE EPISTLES as I advised you, your whole study life and understanding will open and change.

When God first created, the first thing we are introduced to was the Spirit. When the Apostles first came together, the first thing introduced to the was the Spirit, not the law. When a Christian first become NEW CREATION, like in genesis, the first thing a believer needs is the Spirit, not laws. This creation of genesis is God intent for the new creation in Christ.

Continue in your study and the Lord help you!!!
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 19, 2013
Goshen360:

cheesy

Now, you gradually coming up. Keep studying the OT again with the LENS OR REVELATION FROM THE EPISTLES as I advised you, your whole study life and understanding will open and change.

When God first created, the first thing we are introduced to was the Spirit. When the Apostles first came together, the first thing introduced to the was the Spirit, not the law. When a Christian first become NEW CREATION, like in genesis, the first thing a believer needs is the Spirit, not laws. This creation of genesis is God intent for the new creation in Christ.

Continue in your study and the Lord help you!!!
With all humility i say a big AMEN!!!
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 5:06pm On Oct 19, 2013
@Bidam,
That is cool. The bible says the veil is take away in Jesus for He is the Spirit so anytime we view the OT in Jesus we understand better. Amen. Do share some as well.

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Joshthefirst(m): 5:18pm On Oct 19, 2013
I ask one question.

Are we(children of God) all called to be priests AFTER THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEC?

I thought jesus is the high priest and intermediate? I thought we all had one high priest and mediator? I thought we were all priests, but jesus was our high priest?
Please answer this question with consistent scriptural backing
@mosthigh, goshen, bidam, always true, et all.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by MostHigh: 5:26pm On Oct 19, 2013
dami_paul:

An access we didn't have until Jesus died and ascended to heaven.
Besides, before we start bringing Melchizedec into this communion let's remember this; Heb 7:17 For it is declared:
"You are a priest forever,
in the order of Melchizedek."[t]

18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

20 And it was not without an oath! Others became priests without any oath, 21 but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him:
"The Lord has sworn
and will not change his mind:
'You are a priest forever.'"[t]

22 Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantor of a better covenant.

23 Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; 24 but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood.
The priesthood of Melchizedek is untransferable, not to humans or anybody but to only Jesus who lives forever and intercedes daily on ourbehalves

Why do the heathens rage and the people imagine a vain thing?. smiley

The order of Melchizedek is for all true believers.

For he has made us kings and priests unto our God.

If I remember correctly Melchizedek is a King Priest.

Correct us if we are wrong. smiley
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 5:34pm On Oct 19, 2013
Joshthefirst: I ask one question.

Are we(children of God) all called to be priests AFTER THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEC?

I thought jesus is the high priest and intermediate? I thought we all had one high priest and mediator? I thought we were all priests, but jesus was our high priest?
Please answer this question with consistent scriptural backing
@mosthigh, goshen, bidam, always true, et all.

The only person who became High Priest by oath is Jesus Christ and He is called of God an HIGH PRIEST after the order of Melchisedek...Hebrews 5:10.
We can only have ONE HIGH PRIEST.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Joshthefirst(m): 5:38pm On Oct 19, 2013
MostHigh:
[/b]

please tell us where the bible says the order of melchizedek is for all believers?
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Joshthefirst(m): 5:40pm On Oct 19, 2013
Alwaystrue:
The only person who became High Priest by oath is Jesus Christ and He is called of God an HIGH PRIEST after the order of Melchisedek...Hebrews 5:10.
We can only have ONE HIGH PRIEST.
is the order of melchizedek for all believers? I thought it was for our high priest, Jesus Christ?

Please gimme consistent scripture to prove that the order of melchizedek is for all believers, that was my question ma'am.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Oct 19, 2013
MostHigh:
[/b]

Correct. Jesus is our Elder brother(Heb 2:5-18) cheesy
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Joshthefirst(m): 5:44pm On Oct 19, 2013
Please this is hebrews 7:1-3

I thought this was the order of melchisedek

1  FOR THIS Melchizedek, king of Salem [and] priest of the Most High God, met Abraham as he returned from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2  And Abraham gave to him a tenth portion of all [the spoil]. He is primarily, as his name when translated indicates, king of righteousness, and then he is also king of Salem, which means king of peace. 3  Without [record of] father or mother or ancestral line, neither with beginning of days nor ending of life, but, resembling the Son of God, he continues to be a priest without interruption and without successor.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 5:50pm On Oct 19, 2013
Joshthefirst: is the order of melchizedek for all believers? I thought it was for our high priest, Jesus Christ?

Please gimme consistent scripture to prove that the order of melchizedek is for all believers, that was my question ma'am.

And I answered the question with scripture. If Jesus is the only high priest after the order of Melchisedek and we are a holy priesthood with Jesus, 1 Peter 2:9 what other scripture or answer do you need?
Seriously atimes we can answer the questions ourselves.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Joshthefirst(m): 6:06pm On Oct 19, 2013
Alwaystrue:

And I answered the question with scripture. If Jesus is the only high priest after the order of Melchisedek and we are a holy priesthood with Jesus, 1 Peter 2:9 what other scripture or answer do you need?
Seriously atimes we can answer the questions ourselves.

I didn't know we were called after the order of melchizedek, I thought only jesus was called after the order of melchizedek. Now I know better. Thank you.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 19, 2013
Joshthefirst: Please this is hebrews 7:1-3

I thought this was the order of melchisedek

1  FOR THIS Melchizedek, king of Salem [and] priest of the Most High God, met Abraham as he returned from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2  And Abraham gave to him a tenth portion of all [the spoil]. He is primarily, as his name when translated indicates, king of righteousness, and then he is also king of Salem, which means king of peace. 3  Without [record of] father or mother or ancestral line, neither with beginning of days nor ending of life, but, resembling the Son of God, he continues to be a priest without interruption and without successor.

That scripture you quote describes MELCHIZEDEK. Jesus was made AFTER the order of Melchizedek when He shed His blood on the cross,rose and went to heaven NOT before.Jesus is made like Melchizedek.Hence He remains our High priest.Order can also refer to as RANK.

I am still praying for guidance on the subject of Melchizedek.

But one thing you should note is that Jesus has obtained an eternal priesthood, we also have that priesthood by adoption as sons.

Jesus has access to the Holies of holies, we also have that access because we are in HIM.

Jesus has the power of an endless life we also have that power by virtue of our new birth.

Jesus washes the feet of his disciples,we are encouraged to wash the feet of one another.

Jesus has the power to forgive sins,He has given us that power also.

Jesus is the righteous judge,surprisingly we are told we will judge angels.

Jesus is right now at the right-hand side of God interceding on our behalf and we are encouraged to be intercessors.

All this and many more shows we are a family of the priesthood of Jesus.If that is not enough i don't know what scripture you want stated in black and white. WE ARE IN HIM.

3 Likes

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Joshthefirst(m): 6:13pm On Oct 19, 2013
Bidam: That scripture you quote describes MELCHIZEDEK. Jesus was made AFTER the order of Melchizedek when He shed His blood on the cross,rose and went to heaven NOT before.Jesus is made like Melchizedek.Hence He remains our High priest.Order can also refer to as RANK.

But one thing you should note is that Jesus has obtained an eternal priesthood, we also have that priesthood by adoption as sons.

Jesus has access to the Holies of holies, we also have that access because we are in HIM.

Jesus has the power of an endless life we also have that power by virtue of our new birth.

Jesus washes the feet of his disciples,we are encouraged to wash the feet of one another.

Jesus is right now at the right-hand side of God interceding on our behalf and we are encouraged to be intercessors.

All this and many more shows we are a family of the priesthood of Jesus.If that is not enough i don't know what scripture you want stated in black and white. WE ARE IN HIM.

thank you very much sir. smiley
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by MostHigh: 6:48pm On Oct 19, 2013
Joshthefirst: please tell us where the bible says the order of melchizedek is for all believers?

The question you should be asking rather is if you yourself as a professed believer are a king priest. smiley

And if peradventure your answer is yes then what is the name of the order to which you belong. grin
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Joshthefirst(m): 6:49pm On Oct 19, 2013
MostHigh:

The question you should be asking rather is if you yourself as a professed believer are a king priest. smiley

And if peradventure your answer is yes then what is the name of the order to which you belong. grin

thank you sir. I know better now.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by damipaul(m): 9:21pm On Oct 19, 2013
Bidam: That scripture you quote describes MELCHIZEDEK. Jesus was made AFTER the order of Melchizedek when He shed His blood on the cross,rose and went to heaven NOT before.Jesus is made like Melchizedek.Hence He remains our High priest.Order can also refer to as RANK.

What is this?! Who gave u the power to forgive any sin?! Do you stand before God interceding on our behalves, that we're priests doesn't mean we are high priests. There can only be one, I repeat one high priest and that's Jesus! It's clearly stated in Heb 7! Stop combining scriptures to mean something entirely different.

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Talkyaown: 9:34pm On Oct 19, 2013
Joshthefirst: I didn't know we were called after the order of melchizedek, I thought only jesus was called after the order of melchizedek. Now I know better. Thank you.

Don't let anyone deceive you, only Jesus was called after the order of Melchizedek, the Bible cleary states that that priesthood is untransferable.

Please stop posting things like this for the sake of young Christians reading threads like this. Even Jesus that was and is one with the Father, differed to the father in one thing, he didn't and doesn't know when the day of the Lord shall come. We're not of the order of Melchizedek, stop twisting the Bible. Bye bye
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Oct 19, 2013
Talkyaown:

Don't let anyone deceive you, only Jesus was called after the order of Melchizedek, the Bible cleary states that that priesthood is untransferable.

Please stop posting things like this for the sake of young Christians reading threads like this. Even Jesus that was and is one with the Father, differed to the father in one thing, he didn't and doesn't know when the day of the Lord shall come. We're not of the order of Melchizedek, stop twisting the Bible. Bye bye
Stop being paranoid here. no one is saying Jesus as the High priest can be replaced. We are [size=16pt]under[/size] the Melchizedek priesthood. Just as the levites were under the Aaronic priesthood. Now the difference is that Aaron can be replaced by any of his sons,[size=16pt]while we cannot and will not replace Jesus[/size].Heck!! Even Samuel wasn't even from levi yet he became a priest so what's the bone of contention about this issue anyway?

People just love to argue blindly sha! grin
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by grandstar(m): 11:04pm On Oct 19, 2013
the witnesses have long realised this and call the old testament the "hebrew scriptures" and the new testament the "christian greek scriptures" based on the primary languages each was written in.

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by IbrahimB: 12:28pm On Oct 20, 2013
Did Jesus himself ever say he's bringing a new testament?
Did Jesus come to destroy the Law of Moses?

You can't mention New Testament without mentioning the man, Paul. A man who never met Jesus face to face. Why must we believe Paul's testament?

Do you know there were several conflicting gospels after Jesus?

I think we should give more credence to what Jesus was reported to have said by the people who walked, talked and prayed with him during his ministry and not what an outsider claims to have received from Jesus in a "vision".

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by ideology(m): 1:19pm On Oct 20, 2013
dami_paul: Growing up, I did things my parents told me to do (most of the things actually) not out of understanding but because I had to obey my parents. Looking back as an adult Christian now, I realize most of those things weren’t even biblical, some of them don’t make sense either (e.g standing on mortar will reduce my height, whistling in the night attracts snakes etc). You will agree with me that in this generation, you can’t just tell a teen not to engage in sex without explaining to the teen the dangers inherent in premarital sex etc. A couple of months back, I decided to differentiate between human doctrine and God’s doctrine, between scriptures that are only meant for reproof and those that are meant for doctrine (2 Tim 3:16), not just for myself but also for my children and my generation. I did it prayerfully.
My quest lead to discoveries, series of them I tell you. Pls read without bias, and don't try to replace logic, sense, with spirituality, instead, expantiate the sense it makes spiritually. Help me bring this first stage of my discovery to conclusion.
Hebrews 9:16 In the case of a will it is necessary to prove that the person who made it has died, 17 for a will means nothing while the person who made it is alive; it goes into effect only after his death. 18 That is why even the first covenant[t] went into effect only with the use of blood. (Gal 4:4). Since the death of Christ and the shedding of his blood were the seals of the new covenant (or testament as some versions will have it) why did the new testament start from Matthew instead of Acts?
there is no need for argument, the new covenant begins with Jesus resurrection. know it and put tin benefits of the covenant to work in your life, remember the covenant is not a book or group of books. else very soon you will start asking why genesis is in old testament. thanks
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by damipaul(m): 2:23pm On Oct 20, 2013
ideology:
there is no need for argument, the new covenant begins with Jesus resurrection. know it and put tin benefits of the covenant to work in your life, remember the covenant is not a book or group of books. else very soon you will start asking why genesis is in old testament. thanks

Lol, I understand that the covenant is 'more' than a group of books. Thank you
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by maximunimpact(m): 2:26pm On Oct 20, 2013
@op d new/old testament dichotomy depends on d translation u ar using. Some other bible translation rightly separated it as ''the hebrew scriptures'' and the ''christian greek scriptures''. There is notin like old or new testament, all scriptures is inspired by God and its beneficial 4 teaching, correction, 4 settin tins straight........ So 4get abt d new/old diachy, its either the hebrew scriptures written in Hebrew language, or the Greek scriptures written in Greek language. Make ur research u will find a bible version dat xplains dis.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

..... / Do You Know A Good Babalawo? / Which Is The Real Jesus?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.