Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,983 members, 7,817,901 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps (22877 Views)

How To Alleviate Menstrual Cramps With Yoga Exercises [PICTURES And VIDEO] / 7 Ways To Handle Menstrual Pain (dysmenorrhea) / What are the side effects of menstrual pain pills? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by IAH(f): 12:13pm On Aug 28, 2005
Dysmenorrhea: Who can feel me?

Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps. A woman's worst nightmare.

Two days of my hitherto lively month is spent groaning in pain due to this ugly monster. For me, it defies all kinds of medication. I have tried all pain-relievers like Ibuprofen, Paracetamol,Naproxen,etc. Even my father who is a doctor has not been able to help my situation.

Some people suggested exercise but oh my God...trying it once aggravated it. I read in one book that it can be surgically corrected by removing one's womb! shocked shocked shocked I also learnt that it is caused by releasing of egg/ova which causes secretion of the hormone prostaglandin. Can't there be a drug that stops the secretion of that stupid prostaglandin?

How do you ladies here treat it if you experience it? Any suggestions? Can you feel me? Don't be shy.
Men can also contribute if they can help.

1 Like

Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by Greatpeter(m): 1:11pm On Aug 28, 2005
IAH I can feel you and I tell you I feel how terrible it is when you have such pains.  I am not a female so I don't have the experience but medically I do attend to such victim like you.

You need not stop prostalglandin for it is vital to your productivity.  You don't do exercise during the period, the exercise should be done even before the menses.

Again, the use of tab. Diclofenac Sodium or Diclofenac Potasium(Voltaren) will be better .  It works than the ones you mentioned. Better still this drug is in injection form i.m only.  You can add Hyoscine Tab or Injection (Buscopam); depends on your choice.

But this menstrual pain will go finally when you start bearing children.  You can ask your dad more since he's a medical doctor.  I've dealt with many cases of this nature so no worries.  I once treated a girlfriend of mine.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 28, 2005
Hey, 

You can try taking birth control pills. As well as helping with acne, its been known to help people with bad period pains. Offcourse this all depends on your age undecided

1 Like

Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by layi(m): 2:53pm On Aug 28, 2005
Use Feldin. Its helps with Dysmenorrhea.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by Scorpio(f): 3:19am On Aug 29, 2005
To b sincere, Advil helps me out especially if it's taken after a meal. try dat too!
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by hotangel2(f): 5:10am On Aug 29, 2005
Uhmm, i can sense your pain (I don't get cramps). But anyways my friends use heated pad, some pills and also sitting in a hot tub. The water should be very hott, just sit in it. Or if u can't stand that, u should get like a bowl, with hott water, sit and let the hott water do whatever it'll do. Sorry...

1 Like

Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by Hndholder(m): 8:50am On Aug 29, 2005
Such pains stop after childbirth, no cure known until child bearing time.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by fabian(f): 9:26am On Aug 29, 2005
Hey IAH, I feel you! My periods for me, were periods when my whole family saw hell! Everyone, including my dad and brothers were on hand to change the water in the hot water bottle, change the bucket beside my bed for me to throw up in, bring fresh towels,  massage my waist, back and stomach with ben gay (would you believe it!), etc. Everyone knew that when the month was drawing to an end, drama started!
I had also heard that having a baby stops dysmeorrhea.  I had a baby two years ago, and the pain did not automatically stop. Yeah, it lessened considerably, but I still feel the cramps every once in a while.
I used to take Feldene to stop the pain, and it worked for that purpose, but the thing was that It also seized my flow, i.e. I could use one sanitary towel the whole day if I wanted and it would have only a few drops lipsrsealed
My GP advised me to stop. What I learnt on my own was that my diet contributed to my pain. As a rule, I generally stopped taking Sweets and other foods high in Sugar about a week to the time and I really felt better during my period.
Another thing I realized was that the pain was a little psychological in my case, as I was already geared up for pain and nothing could take my mind off feeling pain. To that effect, I realized that getting out to do something as opposed to staying indoors and moaning made me feel a lot better as my mind was occupied with other activities.
Alll that, and maybe child birth has made my pain much less, but don't get me wrong, I still feel the occasional cramp, though everyone knows its much better now.
I advise that you try not to eat too much sugar just before your period, I mean sodas, sweets, in fact skip dessert if it'll help. You should also try to go out rather than stayin because that will only make you more aware of your own pain.
try to exercise too, I've heard that it helps, though I don't know how it relates to this. It may be an old wives' tale, but it's something you stand to gain from. wink
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by nike4luv(f): 6:30pm On Aug 29, 2005
i have one of the worst pain, actually i hate when my period is near
i just use paracetamol and lie down, i kno its painful just close your eyes and lie down forget evrytin dont think of anything and i pray de pain go undecided
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by WesleyanA(f): 7:10pm On Aug 29, 2005
i'm lucky i don't have much pain just a little at the begining that's actually how i know my period has started since mine's not regular. after the first day, no more pain.

paracetamol? you have that in the UK?
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by nike4luv(f): 7:27pm On Aug 29, 2005
yea..and panadol and dose stuff, name it
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by Hndholder(m): 10:24am On Aug 30, 2005
Read less meaning to it and take your mind away. just for 2-3 days it will be over. Is a price women pay, that is why Men must treat you as Queen.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by Greatpeter(m): 2:23pm On Aug 30, 2005
Hnd-holder:

Such pains stop after childbirth, no cure known until child bearing time.

Yea I said so earlier.
Just read my post and you'll find solution there.
I'm seriously serious.
Just try it out it works.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by layi(m): 4:25pm On Aug 30, 2005
@hnd-holder.
U need to do better. Not all women face Dysmenorrhea. Even the ones who do have a way of managing it effectively. Its not their cross as women o!
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by Greatpeter(m): 11:47am On Aug 31, 2005
Fabian did a good job to this subject.
Good you, experience is the best teacher so they say.

Stopping of sugary substances will greatly help.
I left that out in my earlier post.
Thanks fabian for your contribution.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by dablessed(f): 8:24pm On Sep 05, 2005
IAH, i feel you!

Even though i have period pains, it is nothing unbearable at all , just slight back pains. I take evening primerose everyday - it is known to balance the hormonal system so u dont even feel it when your period is here.

See ur GP before embarking on this.

Pele dear.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by Latoya(f): 4:43am On Sep 06, 2005
Menstral cramps r very painful,thank God i dont have anyproblem wiv my period,my signs include head ache and lilltle pimples.i know excercise does help.u can go cycling or for a walk instead of just sitting one place and take some drugs to reduce the pains too.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by IAH(f): 7:35am On Sep 06, 2005
Thank you everyone.grin Dablessed, where have you been all these days? We've missed you. wink
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by dablessed(f): 6:03pm On Sep 09, 2005
IAH, i have never been so busy in my life but it'd soon be over! I certainly missed everyone too.

Takia
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by Greatpeter(m): 11:59am On Sep 11, 2005
Dysmenorrhea dablessed air your view please.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by uchetobi(f): 3:44pm On Sep 16, 2005
oh mine. i feeeeeeeeeeeeeeel you people. its been a cross ive been carrying for years now. i normally throw up on the 1st day too. initially hot water used to help. but NO MORE.when its severe like when it comes like a theif in the night. and i wake up in agony and i am in school i go4 iv njections straight. but peeps said dats dangerous. on a good day i use feldene or cataflam. it works but dats if u take it b4 d real pain descends upon u.
i heard stiff alcohol works like Brandy. havent tried it though. figured a problem shouldnt turn me into an alcoholic. but if i have it bad as i did last month. nothing will be holding me back. i wouldnt care if it is squadron dark rum.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by sheif: 12:52am On Sep 24, 2005
Use Feminax. It's got paracetamol (analgesic, helps with the pain), codeine (another powerful painkiller), caffeine (a stimulant) and hyoscine (eases the muscle spasms). It also makes you feel drowsy so you sleep better. It's great.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by Hndholder(m): 11:48am On Sep 26, 2005
Another solution is Let me be closer to you on such occasion I will take the pain away by talking to you and making you feel there is no pain. Your lover could do the same if he knows what to tell you.

No sex can cure the pain in young unmarried woman. The tightness of the neck of the womb[the cervix) is the main cause of painful menses. In the act of sex the male organ stretches only the Vigina, which has nothing to do with painful menses. Indeed, premarital sex often makes it worse by causing stds in addition.

It is the delivery of a baby which curs painful menses. The baby's head stretches the cervix widely. Even the operation call D.& C. is inefective for this purpose.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by Seun(m): 11:59am On Sep 26, 2005
Hnd-holder, this is completely wrong. Where did you get your information?
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by layi(m): 3:02pm On Sep 26, 2005
Hnd-Holder was obviously dozing while typing.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by Scorpio(f): 12:59am On Sep 27, 2005
cheesy cheesy cheesy grin *dead*
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by WesleyanA(f): 1:37am On Sep 27, 2005
Hnd-holder:

Another solution is Let me be closer to you on such occasion I will take the pain away by talking to you and making you feel there is no pain. Your lover could do the same if he knows what to tell you.

No sex can cure the pain in young unmarried woman. The tightness of the neck of the womb[the cervix) is the main cause of painful menses. In the act of sex the male organ stretches only the Vigina, which has nothing to do with painful menses. Indeed, premarital sex often makes it worse by causing stds in addition.

It is the delivery of a baby which curs painful menses. The baby's head stretches the cervix widely. Even the operation call D.& C. is inefective for this purpose.

@ HND holder:  nice analysis of premarital sex, a baby's delivery and lover's role in sex. unfortunately, none of these subjects you completely took your time to elaborate on had anything to do with the topic. for that you get a 3/10. not bad...

tip: read the posts carefully before you reply next time.

cheesy
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by fabian(f): 11:15am On Sep 28, 2005
Amazing! Wonders shall never end. I really believe that HND was sleep-walking when he typed that or maybe someone stole his password and typed that on his behalf? Who knows?

@ WesleyA, Very funny! grin cheesy
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by jumfol(f): 9:46am On Oct 06, 2005
Friend I feel your pain. All the contributors have done a great job in order to alleviate your problem. But in my own candid opinion, consult your Doctor and pray very well.
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by Duncan(m): 10:17am On Oct 06, 2005
I have read and undersand every persons contribution but no person ever mention why it's been painful to feel pain while menstruating, why its painful to give birth, and why there's so much hardship generally.

To answer so many of Mankind's question in relation to the topic of discussion, i'll take your mind back to Garden of Eden where God instructed our first parent Adam and Eve not to touch a certain tree in the Garden, but disobeyed HIM and plunged the entire human race into Sin and Death.....of course many of you know the story( and incase you dont know it you can contact me for more talk....robhodun@yahoo.co.uk).

Now to the solution, Someone came and paid the price that delivered man from his bondage state of sin and Death. But many has refuse to recognize what that means safe taking advantage of it. Taking advantage of it will do a lot more than devicing various means of surviving this terrible state man founds himself.

Now back to the issue of Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps. The bible say WHATSOEVER IS BORN OF GOD HAS OVERCOME THE WORLD: thats the world of sickness, the world of poverty, the world of satanic oppression, the world of failure. My dear if you will do what i will tell you now you wont have to go through that pain again in your life. All you have to do is to first believe what am telling you now for the Bible say in Romans 10:9,10 " That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Confess in greek means "homolodia" that is saying the same thing with GOD. And what do you think God has to say concerning the deadly pain you feel every month..... Obviously, God as loving as HE is actually never wants you to experience any pain at all. Then, the decision to be free of that pain rest on you. You might be asking how........ I'll show it to you in a moment.

Say this Prayer after me.." Jehovah God I come to you today in The Name of Jesus who came and died for my sins. I believe that Jesus is The Son of God and He came and die for me not die again, He came and suffer for me not to suffer again, He came so i can be given life. I receive this life in totality into my spirit and therefore i declare that am born again. Am a child of God from today henceforth. Power of dakness cannot have any hold on me any longer. AMEN.

Having said that prayer know that you have the very life of God in you and that you have been born of God. Henceforth you can not experience pain again. Remember you mmust continually say it to yourself that you are a child of God so therefore must not experience pain in your body. So doing, you have inundate yourself with the word of God that is life and spirit. visit www.christembassy.org. Mail me and i'll tell you more of what you shall do further.

SHALOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by fabian(f): 1:11pm On Oct 06, 2005
Preach it, preacher!
Re: Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps by layi(m): 2:05pm On Oct 06, 2005
Nicely said Duncan. How true.

NB: Confess in greek is "homologia" not "homolodia"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagosians In Highbrow Areas May Be Drinking Own Faeces –investigation / Laboratory Equipment Also Available / Coronavirus: Obaseki Goes Into Self-isolation, Sends In Samples For Testing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.