Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,640 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities (28373 Views)

FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU / ASUU Strike: Fg Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today Ended With Smiles On... / Latest On ASUU Strike: FG In Talks With ASUU On Strike – Maku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by sleekpro(m): 10:48pm On Oct 17, 2013
Sam xiu lee: Is anyone noticing that since wike took over as supervising minister,there have being a lot of organized protests against ASUU,
1,market women in abuja
2,youths in front of UNILAG gate.

This is the same people Wike was using to destabilize Rivers state.
But wike should know that ASUU was a torn in the flesh of the various military government,they are more experience than him,all the rallies and protest won't work,honor the agreement.
who told you ASUU was striking because of the agreement?, they are fighting for their personal intrest, if you don't know, know it now. Na today!
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by brosun(m): 10:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
Osahon7: Dats gud news
What is good about the news? Leaking and quoting an internal memo from the VC of a Federal University in Otouke, GEJ's hometown does not amount to "gud news" to me! It's all grammar we have read: "government will do this, government will do that". The only thing that has been offered, according to the report, is an additional 10 billion and loads of promises to do more in the yeats ahead. A government that does not keep even its own promises will be hard to believe. I do not think ASUU will be ready for another "agreement" when a subsisting one the FG freely entered into has not been implemented. Sad to say, I do not see an end to the strike coming from this Sahara report!

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by lumeneng22: 10:52pm On Oct 17, 2013
Make una sha remember pensioner whose majority students are their children.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by Mexyz(m): 10:59pm On Oct 17, 2013
Thank you Gej, this is a govt that really cares for her people. U guys shud note dat d agreed sum was 150bln bt my gud presido has decided to increase it to 200bl. 200*4=800bln. Thank you Gej, over to ASUU.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by mazizitonene(m): 11:00pm On Oct 17, 2013
FG beta march ur words wif actions....start paying.......and ASUU, b reasonable for student's sake!
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by lastmessenger: 11:05pm On Oct 17, 2013
all these point to one THING.The TIME to END the strike has come so that without fear i can bodly say
END TIME THINGZ
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by narmani: 11:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
handebayor: Though am hopeful they call it off but why is it only sahara reporters that published such news
because they're a bunch of liars. They've got this habit of giving false info.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by vanstanzy(m): 11:13pm On Oct 17, 2013
Lollypee: Towards ending the ongoing ASUU strike, the Federal Government has committed to spending N200 billion in the 2014 budget on the universities as well as on each of the next three-four years until the universities are brought to world-class standard. This is in addition to the N100 billion dedicated and already made available for 2013.

The government has also increased to N40 billion as a first installment, funds for the payment of earned allowances to the striking lecturers, an improvement from the N30 billion previously released.

This information is contained in an internal Federal University of Otuoke statement by Professor Bolaji Aluko, its Vice-Chancellor, seen on Wednesday night by SaharaReporters.

On the earned allowances, he explained, “Government will top it up with further releases once universities are through with the disbursement of this new figure of N40 million, so Vice-Chancellors are urged to expedite this disbursement within the shortest possible time using guiding templates that have been sent by the CVC,” the circular said.

Professor Aluko said the development followed meetings on September 19 and Oct 11 of representatives of the Association of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities, led by CVC Chairman, Prof. Hamisu of ATBU and ASUU Representatives led by its President, Dr. N. Fagge with the Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Arc. Namadi. Sambo, Minister of Education Barr. N. Wike and others.

Of great interest to stakeholders, Vice-President Sambo, appealing to ASUU to call off the strike, apologized for the "take-it-or-leave-it" comments credited to the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala at the onset of the strike. The Minister did not seem to have been involved in either meeting, perhaps as the government’s way of soothing the feelings of the university teachers.

Other points of agreement at the meetings include the following:

Project Prioritization: Universities will now be allowed to determine their priorities and not be “rail-roaded” into implementing a pre-determined set of projects with respect to the NEEDS assessment. Decisions are not to be centralized.
TETFund Intervention: Government assured that the operations of the TETFund will not be impaired, and that the regular TETFund intervention disbursement to Universities will continue, unaffected. So the NEEDS assessment capital outlays are in addition to regular TETFund intervention.
Project Monitoring: A new Implementation Monitoring Committee (IMC) for the NEEDS Assessment intervention for universities has been set up to take over from the Suswan Committee. The new one is under the Federal Ministry of Education and chaired by the Honorable Minister of Education. In addition, to build confidence and ensure faithful implementation and prevent any relapse as before, the Vice President will meet quarterly with the IMC to monitor progress.
Blueprint: ASUU was mandated to submit a blue print for revitalizing the Universities to the Vice President.
Prof. Aluko further stated that a signed document will soon be issued to itemize the full issues on which the consensus he had outlined here, as brokered by AVCNU, was reached.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/ASUU-strike-government-blinks-agrees-spend-n200b-each-four-years-bring-nigerian-universiti

This is rubbish. Spend a paltry 200 billion and forget the 1.3trillion shey?
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by akyus(m): 11:15pm On Oct 17, 2013
''..World-class standard.'' Lol.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by Samxiulee: 11:17pm On Oct 17, 2013
sleek pro: who told you ASUU was striking because of the agreement?, they are fighting for their personal intrest, if you don't know, know it now. Na today!
really!!!?if you reach an agreement with a body its only fair you honor the agreement.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by vanstanzy(m): 11:21pm On Oct 17, 2013
This arrangement is what i call mortgaging of ones future. Why make more agreements when the former has not yet being fulfilled. I strongly smell a rat here.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by Kingspin(m): 11:22pm On Oct 17, 2013
Who will manage the funds is it the bad VCs and governors. ASUU should be wiser and behave well.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
The money should be inputted directly into the universities infrastructure, not just giving it to the school while the administrative will be planning on how to spend it on Kenya investments and other unnecessary personal gains.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by Enokelz: 11:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
:-XEnd Time Tinz
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by eejo(m): 11:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
Good the health sector we can now start our own strike the hospital need more funding and our allowance increased
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by TomiwaDamola(f): 11:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
Congratulations gringrin
Chiamaka01: I hope so.

Omg! Am i really the third to comment? shocked
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by Tinkybabe(f): 11:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
ok!so has the strike been suspended? undecided
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by wEsOmE(m): 11:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
Wash....
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by Nobody: 11:51pm On Oct 17, 2013
First things first! Resolve d one on ground nw b4 leapfrogginf to next year. Simple!
*Dnt get me wrong am nt 4 or against any of d two parties.*
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by Bulcqlay(m): 11:52pm On Oct 17, 2013
anoda episode of d on goin cixon film
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by Hearme(m): 11:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
0monnakoda: That is less than the budget for Harvard
http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/03/19/harvards-budget-ten-times-that-of-the-vatican/
Na wa oo

And that is what we are investing in a year in over 50 universities for infrastructure. Please, let all who like to criticize ASUU click on the link above and see why we have a very long way to go. 3.7 billion dollars alone is about 640 billion naira. Lets keep praying we'll get there, but we must improve on every side.

Just one thing that make me glad is that, even with the level of deterioration in our schools, Nigerian graduates compete well when they study in this great universities outside. That's to tell you this country have great hope if her citizens are given the chance and well exposed.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by yungcyrus(m): 12:08am On Oct 18, 2013
FilesUpdator:
how big man like you go dey play for nairaland? If your wife and children see this one nkor?
........E concern you ni? Abi ur wife enta strike....i b yung Boy no b old man lyk u, wey dey grow Osama 4 him D*ck
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by Nobody: 12:23am On Oct 18, 2013
Its not about spending money! those old lecturers seriously need to be sacked! They are so archaic and not updated in their teachings. That's just one of the problem, the other one is, money has always been released into the educational system, but greed will not let Nigerians channel the money to the right places....this will only follow the same path!
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by jayplect(m): 12:43am On Oct 18, 2013
handebayor: Though am hopeful they call it off but why is it only sahara reporters that published such news
same thoughts
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by Nobody: 1:20am On Oct 18, 2013
GeneralShepherd: Graduate assistant FUTO on my mind...
New oyel company
Guy man
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by mooregan(m): 3:44am On Oct 18, 2013
kelvin1191: Before now i used to blame ASUU but since d revelation that followed from the amount FG spent in just purchasing offical car for Aviation minister which is more than what they are budgeting to spend in a year for our universities, i just can help but think twice before druming support for him.
Bros where u dey hear ur own News from?? No be federal Government buy am Motor o. And 200M no be same thin as 200B. No dey smoke sisha b4 reading news abeg.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by mooregan(m): 3:48am On Oct 18, 2013
arttysticfyngaz: First things first! Resolve d one on ground nw b4 leapfrogginf to next year. Simple!
*Dnt get me wrong am nt 4 or against any of d two parties.*
Is that not what they r working on?? They've brought out a proposal for ASUU, its left for ASUU to agree. To me, its fair enough.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by mooregan(m): 3:51am On Oct 18, 2013
vanstanzy:

This is rubbish. Spend a paltry 200 billion and forget the 1.3trillion shey?
Were u expecting govt to give ASUU 1.3trillion cash? You wouldn't do that even if u were d president. Its sweet to stay behind or phones n PCs n criticise sha
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by unmask: 5:21am On Oct 18, 2013
If ASUU falls for this crap, then they are big mugus.... Its the same thing they have always been told.... Let them continue the strike and reach a conclusion that will guarantee no more strike
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by unmask: 5:22am On Oct 18, 2013
If ASUU falls for this crap, then they are big mugus.... Its the same thing they have always been told.... Let them continue the strike and reach a conclusion that will guarantee no more strikes
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by unmask: 5:30am On Oct 18, 2013
speedyboi: Its not about spending money! those old lecturers seriously need to be sacked! They are so archaic and not updated in their teachings. That's just one of the problem, the other one is, money has always been released into the educational system, but greed will not let Nigerians channel the money to the right places....this will only follow the same path!
and when they sack them, who will they employ? Is it graduates that would work anywhere just so they can be said to have a job? As long as our universities remain the way they are, no serious minded person would think of working there, so it's still the same old baggage you are trying to get rid of you will still employ and something tells me they would be far worse than the present crop of lecturers...... Cos if those that got quality education teach you the way you are being taught imagine having lecturers who are products of the present system
Re: ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities by anthony86(m): 5:47am On Oct 18, 2013
Sometimes all we think is all money money and money.Even if FG gives ASUU trillions the Universities will still remain the way they are. Our lecturers lack the right attitude

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding / HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination / Help Lost My Gce Examination Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.