Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,098 members, 7,828,841 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (330) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (455209 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 2:05am On Jul 20, 2014
MsNas:
Figures. So if they're not required to write a thesis of any kind, what do they do to earn their degree at the end of the day? Internship of some sort? or just the coursework they've taken over the course of their program is enough? My room-mate's Japanese friend just graduated in the same department as her. Although, i don't know if he wrote a thesis, I know he told me he's taking a kind of comprehensive exam that covers all the courses he took over the 4 semesters of this masters. Does that sound like M.Eng?

Exactly. They take a comprehensive exam. In some schools, the exam could be oral just like oral defence of thesis.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by winbyforce: 3:34am On Jul 20, 2014
bbdd:

Bro I contacted my school
The transcript office people said I should wait for 2 weeks before they can even get the wes verification request letter and that I have to pay for courier after its done .
The mail will first go to student affairs then registrar before going to records.

I was just weak.
Someone is trying to extort money from you bro! You don't need to pay for any courier fee since Univ of Ibadan replies WES on verification via email. Very few schools send the verification through regular mail. Perhaps you can get some perspective from my experience since i did both UG and PG at UI:
1. I applied for my transcripts from student records(UG) and PG school. They both wanted to send it through courier separately but i told them at the student records that i'm also sending my PG transcripts to the same place,so they took my UG transcripts to the PG school. PG school sent both transcripts in one package-so i just had to pay for courier service once
2. WES sent verification request letter with photocopies of transcripts (took about 2weeks to get to Ibadan) to student affairs,it passed through the registrar's office,then landed at the student records. students' records detached the PG part and sent it to PG school for verification. One lady at the records said I will have to pay for verification if i want the reply to WES sent speedily.She said UI sends reply via regular mail but I could pay for courier to make it very fast. I challenged her that other schools reply WES via email,"why should UI be different?" . She just kept quiet afterwards. No be my 8k she go chop smiley I had gotten all the info i needed from nairaland grin grin
3.I just followed up on both schools to know when the verification was complete. Got an email from WES shortly afterwards that my transcripts had been verified and my evaluation would be ready in a week.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 4:28am On Jul 20, 2014
domex007:

Okay, but what happens if one runs out of status? Lool
The person goes back to his/her own country and starts re-application again.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Dot1(m): 4:55am On Jul 20, 2014
MsNas:
Really? M.Eng degree holders can't do PhD? Never knew. Do you know why please?
MEng is for those that want to be technically sound. It is more technically-based. Thatz why dey do more practicals & spend more time doing internship. No thesis for dem also.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:16am On Jul 20, 2014
Dot1:
MEng is for those that want to be technically sound. It is more technically-based. Thatz why dey do more practicals & spend more time doing internship. No thesis for dem also.
Just like MBA and MSc.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 5:53am On Jul 20, 2014
Dot1:
I kinda had an idea about the technicality aspect. I was just curious about why those that bagged a M.Eng can't proceed through the PhD route. Lol. I guess most people don't know though. I'm pretty much sure my friend has no clue smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 5:54am On Jul 20, 2014
juntod:

Exactly. They take a comprehensive exam. In some schools, the exam could be oral just like oral defence of thesis.
Oh Okay, Thanks smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 5:55am On Jul 20, 2014
slimmy05: Just like MBA and MSc.
Can you explain that? I mean the basis of comparison. I thought MBAs are for Business majors?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:58am On Jul 20, 2014
MsNas:
Can you explain that? I mean the basis of comparison. I thought MBAs are for Business majors?
MBA is professional and MSc is more of academics as you get to write a thesis. You cant do PhD with MBA.

We have MSc accounting and we also have MBA accounting, marketing, human resources etc. If one wants to further to PhD then MSc is needed not MBA
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 6:12am On Jul 20, 2014
slimmy05: MBA is professional and MSc is more of academics as you get to write a thesis. You cant do PhD with MBA.

We have MSc accounting and we also have MBA accounting, marketing, human resources etc. If one wants to further to PhD then MSc is needed not MBA
Oh okay. I get.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Idazbawz(m): 7:54am On Jul 20, 2014
Amefrica:

Nicey! cheesy

I'm porting around mid-Aug. You?
ending of August jereh... early 20s'
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 7:59am On Jul 20, 2014
Idazbawz: ending of August jereh... early 20s'

No wahala nah!

Safe trip in adv. wink

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by francisabuah: 10:46am On Jul 20, 2014
plz house how many days does it take gre result to get to schools u applied to send them to.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bbdd: 10:56am On Jul 20, 2014
winbyforce:
Someone is trying to extort money from you bro! You don't need to pay for any courier fee since Univ of Ibadan replies WES on verification via email. Very few schools send the verification through regular mail. Perhaps you can get some perspective from my experience since i did both UG and PG at UI:
1. I applied for my transcripts from student records(UG) and PG school. They both wanted to send it through courier separately but i told them at the student records that i'm also sending my PG transcripts to the same place,so they took my UG transcripts to the PG school. PG school sent both transcripts in one package-so i just had to pay for courier service once
2. WES sent verification request letter with photocopies of transcripts (took about 2weeks to get to Ibadan) to student affairs,it passed through the registrar's office,then landed at the student records. students' records detached the PG part and sent it to PG school for verification. One lady at the records said I will have to pay for verification if i want the reply to WES sent speedily.She said UI sends reply via regular mail but I could pay for courier to make it very fast. I challenged her that other schools reply WES via email,"why should UI be different?" . She just kept quiet afterwards. No be my 8k she go chop smiley I had gotten all the info i needed from nairaland grin grin
3.I just followed up on both schools to know when the verification was complete. Got an email from WES shortly afterwards that my transcripts had been verified and my evaluation would be ready in a week.

Haaaa!!!
Thank you sir
You have a pm sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 11:12am On Jul 20, 2014
zeezahbee: the guy at the enrollment center in my school gat beard and have seen several people with beard in america with beards. america need your brain not your beards. even at the mosque yesteday, saw plenty people with beards and they all gat job. once you can kept it clean and frosh and you know what doing, you will be fine

Don't misunderstand me. I remember mentioning specifically 'corporate jobs'. In corporate America, men don't wear beard. Ever seen Obama, or any of the past presidents, or men in the white house, or secret service, or CEOs of US companies wearing beard? For non-corporate jobs, no one cares. If you're working at McDonalds, or Subway or USPS, or Dairy Queen nobody cares about your beard. But in corporate america, it is not allowed.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 20, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Don't misunderstand me. I remember mentioning specifically 'corporate jobs'. In corporate America, men don't wear beard. Ever seen Obama, or any of the past presidents, or men in the white house, or secret service, or CEOs of US companies wearing beard? For non-corporate jobs, no one cares. If you're working at McDonalds, or Subway or USPS, or Dairy Queen nobody cares about your beard. But in corporate america, it is not allowed.
in 2chainz voice "TRUE"

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by francisabuah: 11:27am On Jul 20, 2014
plase oooo house anybody know any thing about florida institute of technology at Melbourne.is a private school i really want to know if is not one of the red flag school.plz ooo help a broda out.thanks so much and happi sunday to us all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Datanonymous: 12:03pm On Jul 20, 2014
MsNas.... so u finished from Lautech? I finished from Lautech too, Great Ladokite, When did u finish? I'm glad to see you are doing very fine... Greater heights in Jesus Name... keep balling!!!
MsNas:
Oh okay. I get.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by domex007: 12:36pm On Jul 20, 2014
francisabuah: plase oooo house anybody know any thing about florida institute of technology at Melbourne.is a private school i really want to know if is not one of the red flag school.plz ooo help a broda out.thanks so much and happi sunday to us all.

You are good to go, its not red flag..
Happy sunday..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by elektra(f): 12:44pm On Jul 20, 2014
zeezahbee: none, its either you resume to your school for fall and transfer to another school for spring or you defer your admission now, chill in naija and start applying for another school then when you get to the us, you transfer to the new school of your choice. your visa will still be valid as long as you can present an updated i20 for spring. shikena

@hayjayfeez, please note that if you intend to defer your admission like Zeezahbee advised and you do not show up for the fall semester, your school may terminate your SEVIS and render your visa INVALID. You should contact the school's international office and ask the necessary questions.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by winbyforce: 12:47pm On Jul 20, 2014
bbdd:

Haaaa!!!
Thank you sir
You have a pm sir.
Replied bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by iluvmybishop: 12:49pm On Jul 20, 2014
Hello everyone aos Sunday,....all nairalanders DAT has interview dis week,...dat visa LL be handed over to u,.....i pronounce success upon all of u ijn!!!!!.....av a great week ahead.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by steve4ever: 1:06pm On Jul 20, 2014
Hap sunday to al nairalanders. Pls got denied wit a skul early dis yr, but dcided to aply to anoda. Wht excuse can frame up durin intervw?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by zeezahbee(f): 1:11pm On Jul 20, 2014
elektra:

@hayjayfeez, please note that if you intend to defer your admission like Zeezahbee advised and you do not show up for the fall semester, your school may terminate your SEVIS and render your visa INVALID. You should contact the school's international office and ask the necessary questions.
if he defer his admission, his school will send him an updated i2o for spring and thats all, his visa is gonna still be valid. he can only run out of status if he gets to the usa and fails to enroll.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by iluvmybishop: 1:27pm On Jul 20, 2014
steve4ever: Hap sunday to al nairalanders. Pls got denied wit a skul early dis yr, but dcided to aply to anoda. Wht excuse can frame up durin intervw?
sorry if I may ask y were u denied d last time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jul 20, 2014
iluvmybishop: Hello everyone aos Sunday,....all nairalanders DAT has interview dis week,...dat visa LL be handed over to u,.....i pronounce success upon all of u ijn!!!!!.....av a great week ahead.
AMEN

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by steve4ever: 1:45pm On Jul 20, 2014
iluvmybishop:
sorry if I may ask y were u denied d last time.
no reasn given. But i tink its abt composin mysef in answrin quest
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 20, 2014
iluvmybishop: Hello everyone aos Sunday,....all nairalanders DAT has interview dis week,...dat visa LL be handed over to u,.....i pronounce success upon all of u ijn!!!!!.....av a great week ahead.
Amen.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 20, 2014
steve4ever: Hap sunday to al nairalanders. Pls got denied wit a skul early dis yr, but dcided to aply to anoda. Wht excuse can frame up durin intervw?
can you state the first school? You're free to change school. If you can share the two school and course that would further help.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 20, 2014
slimmy05: can you state the first school? You're free to change school
Prof Slimmy, ride on brother.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 20, 2014
Joenice: Prof Slimmy, ride on brother.
Joenice, you know am a novice embarassed Don't expose me now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by francisabuah: 2:26pm On Jul 20, 2014
domex007:

You are good to go, its not red flag..
Happy sunday..
thanks for ur reponse bro,plz broda how many weeks or months does it tak ets to send gre score to university after GRE exam

(1) (2) (3) ... (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) ... (501)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Italian Student Visa-help! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.