Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,213 members, 7,849,744 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 09:01 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (331) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (456224 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 20, 2014
slimmy05: Joenice, you know am a novice embarassed Don't expose me now.
A friend of mine wants to study Law, infact, I also plan to come with him when my visa is about to expire. Is it okay for him to study in the States?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by unnamdi79(m): 2:38pm On Jul 20, 2014
Joenice: A friend of mine wants to study Law, infact, I also plan to come with him when my visa is about to expire. Is it okay for him to study in the States?
boss na you dey ask this question so??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jul 20, 2014
Joenice: A friend of mine wants to study Law, infact, I also plan to come with him when my visa is about to expire. Is it okay for him to study in the States?
is it law(undergraduate level)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by unnamdi79(m): 2:44pm On Jul 20, 2014
stevecrun: is it law(undergraduate level)
its not advisable for UG level cause his chances of practising are slim or NO.. And he can't appear in court as a lawyer in the states.he'll only work under someones chamber..its better he finishes in Nigeria and then furthers in the states..he might be interested in criminology for Msc grin ..preferably,he can go for international law in the states and then return to Nigeria to do a course that relates to the Nigerian Legal system before he can be called to bar.. I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 20, 2014
stevecrun: is it law(undergraduate level)
yes
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by francisabuah: 2:47pm On Jul 20, 2014
plz house hw many months or week or days does it take gre scores to get to chosen schools after gre test?i mean how long does it tak ets to send gre score.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by iluvmybishop: 2:55pm On Jul 20, 2014
steve4ever: no reasn given. But i tink its abt composin mysef in answrin quest
cud u pls state d transcript of ur last interview,we LL see wot went wrong den package ur sef well for d next one.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jul 20, 2014
unnamdi79: its not advisable for UG level cause his chances of practising are slim or NO.. And he can't appear in court as a lawyer in the states.he'll only work under someones chamber..its better he finishes in Nigeria and then furthers in the states..he might be interested in criminology for Msc grin ..preferably,he can go for international law in the states and then return to Nigeria to do a course that relates to the Nigerian Legal system before he can be called to bar.. I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong
I think you're right. I will ask him to change his course of study. American law is totally different from Nigerian law. Thanks. I appreciate your response.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by hayjayfeez: 3:04pm On Jul 20, 2014
zeezahbee: if he defer his admission, his school will send him an updated i2o for spring and thats all, his visa is gonna still be valid. he can only run out of status if he gets to the usa and fails to enroll.
... Thanks Zeezahbee, I appreciate ur advice but a friend said I should show up to my schl 1st then get admission from another schl( CC ) n transfer there. He said its easy to get admission in CC.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 20, 2014
unnamdi79: its not advisable for UG level cause his chances of practising are slim or NO.. And he can't appear in court as a lawyer in the states.he'll only work under someones chamber..its better he finishes in Nigeria and then furthers in the states..he might be interested in criminology for Msc grin ..preferably,he can go for international law in the states and then return to Nigeria to do a course that relates to the Nigerian Legal system before he can be called to bar.. I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong
brother,i think you're wrong.He can appear in any court in the united states and practice as an attorney but am sorry he can't practise in Nigeria until he undergoes the Bar Part 1 programme, which is designed to introduce the general principles of Nigerian Law to those who obtained their LLB in a foreign country.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by meskezzy(f): 3:57pm On Jul 20, 2014
justwise: Its that time again when we have to create part5 of this thread, the part4 has reached 400 pages and need to be discontinued.

Please continue posting your inquiries and contributions here.

Part4 is here for references. https://www.nairaland.com/1229483/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part4

Sorry for the inconveniences.

Thank you

good day sir, am oluwaseun by name and am a B.sc holder planning to travel out so as to make a good living and reach my goal. I discovered this trend and hence decide to come here for help and advice. The agent that wants to help with my processing and visa application told me to choose between france and USA(bt for usa,he is goin to help me put in for a M.sc in 1 of the various american schools). Please any advice on life in america and if i will get a good job there.. Thanks sir. I will appreciate if we can get to talk better on whatsapp or any of this social networking sites. God bless you sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by zeezahbee(f): 3:57pm On Jul 20, 2014
hayjayfeez: ... Thanks Zeezahbee, I appreciate ur advice but a friend said I should show up to my schl 1st then get admission from another schl( CC ) n transfer there. He said its easy to get admission in CC.
you must have been admitted to the CC before you leave nigeria or probably you do a semester at the uni and transfer the next semester to CC
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 20, 2014
those with a bsc in criminology or criminal justice can also go straight to the America law school and become registered attorneys in America.I have a sister in the law school,so she feeds me on some of these law junkies when am bored.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 20, 2014
meskezzy:

good day sir, am oluwaseun by name and am a B.sc holder planning to travel out so as to make a good living and reach my goal. I discovered this trend and hence decide to come here for help and advice. The agent that wants to help with my processing and visa application told me to choose between france and USA(bt for usa,he is goin to help me put in for a M.sc in 1 of the various american schools). Please any advice on life in america and if i will get a good job there.. Thanks sir. I will appreciate if we can get to talk better on whatsapp or any of this social networking sites. God bless you sir.
why not state your problems here and a few can help you.
And please,leave agents alone and do it yourself..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Dot1(m): 4:16pm On Jul 20, 2014
slimmy05: Just like MBA and MSc.
Yea. Datz it. But most people are oblivious of it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 4:24pm On Jul 20, 2014
Datanonymous: MsNas.... so u finished from Lautech? I finished from Lautech too, Great Ladokite, When did u finish? I'm glad to see you are doing very fine... Greater heights in Jesus Name... keep balling!!!
Yes, I did finish from Lautech. Class of '09. Pure and Applied Physics. What about you?

Thanks so much for the prayers. God bless you! wink

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Dot1(m): 4:33pm On Jul 20, 2014
MsNas:
I kinda had an idea about the technicality aspect. I was just curious about why those that bagged a M.Eng can't proceed through the PhD route. Lol. I guess most people don't know though. I'm pretty much sure my friend has no clue smiley
I can't give a definite answer as to why this is so. But lemme try explain wot I think. M.Eng was designed strictly for people that want to work in d industrial sectors, hence justifying the dense practicals they do during their study programs. Itz strictly course-based and most projects are done as a group just as in B.Eng. But for MS in Engineering, most of the researches are done singly with the help of your supervisor. You also submit a thesis & defend it. Those prepare u for your PhD which requires thesis writing and defence. Also, PhD is an individual effort, which translates to the fact that with an MS certificate, you are ready for the forthcoming challenges that come with ur PhD.
PS: just as I noted earlier, itz just my thot & itz disputable.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 4:43pm On Jul 20, 2014
Dot1:
I can't give a definite answer as to why this is so. But lemme try explain wot I think. M.Eng was designed strictly for people that want to work in d industrial sectors, hence justifying the dense practicals they do during their study programs. Itz strictly course-based and most projects are done as a group just as in B.Eng. But for MS in Engineering, most of the researches are done singly with the help of your supervisor. You also submit a thesis & defend it. Those prepare u for your PhD which requires thesis writing and defence. Also, PhD is an individual effort, which translates to the fact that with an MS certificate, you are ready for the forthcoming challenges that come with ur PhD.
PS: just as I noted earlier, itz just my thot & itz disputable.
Yeah. I get that now. Kinda. Lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bodmas3000(m): 5:09pm On Jul 20, 2014
MsNas:
Yes, I did finish from Lautech. Class of '09. Pure and Applied Physics. What about you?

I hail una for here fellow Ladokite
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 5:26pm On Jul 20, 2014
bodmas3000: I hail una for here fellow Ladokite
How una dey? smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 20, 2014
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by domex007: 5:41pm On Jul 20, 2014
francisabuah:
thanks for ur reponse bro,plz broda how many weeks or months does it tak ets to send gre score to university after GRE exam

I have no idea
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jul 20, 2014
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by LoveDecay(m): 5:50pm On Jul 20, 2014
Abeg house, help a brother ooh.

I got admission to CUA Washington and Clark in Boston For M.A in IEDM and IDCE respectively. I chose CUA.

These are some issue's i need advice on:

I only have a soft copy admission letter my school sent, never received the hard copy. Eventhough, i recieved a copy with my i-20 it looks really rough and the name does not correspond with my i-20 or school documents like my housing confirmation , gre and toefl waiver.

My GRE is also a soft copy not the hard copy - only Jesus knows what the guy who registered me put in the address section.

Do i need to go with a flight reservation, i have been working with my old man ever since service ended as assis.admin manager in his coy. But not collecting any salary - the boss gives me cash whenever i need it (no questions asked grin) if the v.o raises a question about my salary - is this a big deal.

PS - Any fine Nigerian Girls (color white) schooling in Wash. preferrably for Masters - that can cook ? cry

I can only cook indomie and fry eggs ooooh......... Jesus i go suffer oooooooooh
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 6:06pm On Jul 20, 2014
LoveDecay: Abeg house, help a brother ooh.

I got admission to CUA Washington and Clark in Boston For M.A in IEDM and IDCE respectively. I chose CUA.

I only have a soft copy admission letter my school sent, never received the hard copy. Eventhough, i recieved a copy with my i-20 it looks really rough and the name does not correspond with my i-20 or school documents like my housing confirmation , gre and toefl waiver.

My GRE is also a soft copy not the hard copy - only Jesus knows what the guy who registered me put in the address section.

Do i need to go with a flight reservation, i have been working with my old man ever since service ended as assis.admin manager in his coy. But not collecting any salary - the boss gives me cash whenever i need it (no questions asked grin) if the v.o raises a question about my salary - is this a big deal.

PS - Any fine Nigerian Girls (color white) schooling in Wash. preferrably for Masters - that can cook ? cry

I can only cook indomie and fry eggs ooooh......... Jesus i go suffer oooooooooh
First off, CUA is a Catholic private Institution. And you said you got a GRE and TOEFL waiver. That sounds like a bad idea (to me at least). The VO would think you wanna cut corners by applying to a private institution(they are known to accept almost all their applicants), and you didn't even bother to take any standardized test to solidy your claims of being a genuine student.

Your case is further compounded because of the irregularities on your admission letter. Most times, VOs don't ask for it. Heck, I didn't take mine along with me to the embassy. But you never can tell, you might be asked to produce it. How do you explain the name difference? Also, how did the school manage to screw up the name on your admission letter and not on all other documents? Did you get the admission through an agent? You should be really careful because something isn't right.

You can print out the online copy of your GRE result online and take that to the embassy. Or better, you can email the international office at your school and request them to send you scanned copy of your GRE result that they have on file. That also is something. What happened with the address on the GRE result though?

The American Consulate has always warned applicants against making any financial commitments (booking flights or paying school fees) before visa approval. This is because you are not guaranteed a visa. So taking your flight itinerary or ticket of any kind will not affect your chances positively or negatively in any way. That I'm sure of. Go with faith. smiley

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 20, 2014
LoveDecay: Abeg house, help a brother ooh.

Stop patronizing agents. I really do not like it when adults who I feel they have access to internet go through those selfish ignoramus that are only after your hard or soft earned money.

Your admission sounds funny. I really do not have anything to say as regards your situation than may the peace and success from the lord be with you on your interview day
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Dimejidude(m): 6:27pm On Jul 20, 2014
Hello House,really need your advice on this. I got my passport last year(November 2013) and it is due to expire in November 2018.The duration of my program on my I-20 is 54 months.However I saw the message below on the U.S embassy website 'You must possess a passport valid for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States'. I have filled my DS-160 and when asked when my passport will expire I put Nov 2018.Hope I don't have a problem cos the Nov 2018 leaves no room for the 'six months'
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 20, 2014
Dimejidude: Hello House,really need your advice on this. I got my passport last year(November 2013) and it is due to expire in November 2018.The duration of my program on my I-20 is 54 months.However I saw the message below on the U.S embassy website 'You must possess a passport valid for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States'. I have filled my DS-160 and when asked when my passport will expire I put Nov 2018.Hope I don't have a problem cos the Nov 2018 leaves no room for the 'six months'
you're good bro. The six months means your passport must have at least 6months validity
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 7:06pm On Jul 20, 2014
MsNas:

That school ehn!
Kai!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 7:37pm On Jul 20, 2014
Stewee:

That school ehn!
Kai!
Did you attend too?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by repsin(m): 7:47pm On Jul 20, 2014
Rutgers, The State University of NNew Jersey New brunswick

University of Illinois at Springfield

Oklahoma State University

Texas Christian University

Hello house, I'm planning to go for my MSc in environmental sciences for spring 2015. I read microbiology and finished with a 4.05 gp. I'm gonna be writing gre next week. After I carefully did my research I came up with 5 schools because I wanna boost my chances to get admitted with a GA position. This is a list of the schools. I wanna know if I'm good to go.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by LoveDecay(m): 7:52pm On Jul 20, 2014
MsNas:
First off, CUA is a Catholic private Institution. And you said you got a GRE and TOEFL waiver. That sounds like a bad idea (to me at least). The VO would think you wanna cut corners by applying to a private institution(they are known to accept almost all their applicants), and you didn't even bother to take any standardized test to solidy your claims of being a genuine student.

Your case is further compounded because of the irregularities on your admission letter. Most times, VOs don't ask for it. Heck, I didn't take mine along with me to the embassy. But you never can tell, you might be asked to produce it. How do you explain the name difference? Also, how did the school manage to screw up the name on your admission letter and not on all other documents? Did you get the admission through an agent? You should be really careful because something isn't right.

You can print out the online copy of your GRE result online and take that to the embassy. Or better, you can email the international office at your school and request them to send you scanned copy of your GRE result that they have on file. That also is something. What happened with the address on the GRE result though?

The American Consulate has always warned applicants against making any financial commitments (booking flights or paying school fees) before visa approval. This is because you are not guaranteed a visa. So taking your flight itinerary or ticket of any kind will not affect your chances positively or negatively in any way. That I'm sure of. Go with faith. smiley

dude, i got my GRE print out from my account - the address is fixed switched it to my home address as is on all my documents. Just want to know if the da.mn print out will suffice ! I got toefl waiver - school said my grades on english GRE beat the cut-off so no toefl (gt 149 , skl nd 146).

Thanks for info on the admission letter, my school sent me a scanned copy which has my name as is on my passport. As for the scanned copy on file -- eeh i think i will pass on that , already sweet talked my way to a GA job, housing, partial scholarship ... any more favor will have to be requested in person - my program director has warned me ooooooh !

10-4 on the ticket.

As for how my names worked out on other documents - the admission letter came first 'duhh ! So, it was easy to get other name to stick. I think they were using the name on my transcript - from Uni. (that document only has 50% of my names grin)

And, YUP CUA is a private catholic institution - the only catholic institution of higher education endorsed by the Holy SEE in Amelicah. I could not go to madonna so this is my consolation prize .

Abeg how fr with the chick matter, my course go hot ooh - i need somebody to mummy me ooooooh (no white chicks cool)

(1) (2) (3) ... (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) ... (501)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.