Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,924 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (470) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (454596 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by exxy(m): 11:32pm On Aug 14, 2014
is it compulsory a student must inform school about visa approval ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 11:34pm On Aug 14, 2014
exxy: is it compulsory a student must inform school about visa approval ?
They know. Even if you don't tell them

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by ridimic1: 11:39pm On Aug 14, 2014
pls any pesin already studying computer sciience msc..pls im about completing my application but they asked me to choose between thesis n non thesis in my field...dont understand mhen
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 12:07am On Aug 15, 2014
ridimic1: pls any pesin already studying computer sciience msc..pls im about completing my application but they asked me to choose between thesis n non thesis in my field...dont understand mhen

Thesis requires research (project, report and defence). Non thesis is just course only. The course only option requires more courses than the thesis option. E.g, if your program requires 33 credits for graduation, your 33 credits will be 11 courses for course only option. The thesis option will be 9 courses (27 credits) and thesis of 6 credits.

Note: For some programs, you can't proceed to PhD if your Msc was course only.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 12:16am On Aug 15, 2014
ridimic1: pls any pesin already studying computer sciience msc..pls im about completing my application but they asked me to choose between thesis n non thesis in my field...dont understand mhen

Thesis is research-based and involves writing and submitting of project that counts towards graduation and non-thesis means no project involved, only classes all the way till you graduate.

If obtaining a PhD is your ultimate aim especially from a US college, whether immediately upon finishing masters or later in life, it is advisable you choose the thesis option. Because to apply for PhD admission using a masters degree, the MS degree has to have been thesis-based and having a thesis-based MS degree saves you 1-2 years in PhD study, thus reducing the time you'll spend doing PhD from 4 - 6 years to 2 or 3 years. Also, there's more funding opportunities for the thesis option than non-thesis option. However, the funding is mostly reserved for the PhD students who are professors-in-training and are likely to be retained as professors in the department on completion of their PhD program. Only a tiny percentage of thesis-option MS students are awarded funding from the school because MS students only spend a year or two in the department and leave for the professional world and don't stay behind to contribute to the department.

However, if you just need a masters degree to get a well paying job and wish to pursue a professional career as a practising computer engineer out there in the field, then go for non-thesis option. It saves you all that stress of intensive research and tedious paperworks and writings that you won't even need as a practising computer engineer in a professional world that lays more emphasis on technical knowledge and experience, years of working experience and necessary certifications for the field, and not on research findings and publications.

For the thesis option, usually project is 6 credit units. If 36 credit units is required for graduation, your project work will carry 6 units, and you'll do like 10 courses of class work with 3 units each course (30 units).

For the non-thesis option and same 36 units requirement, you will be required to take extra 2 courses of 3 units each(6 units) in lieu of project, thus giving you 12 courses altogether, compared to 10 for the thesis option.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 12:21am On Aug 15, 2014
Sponge3: I have been in Florida for two weeks now and I can say authoritatively that the weather is no joke. Orlando Florida is far hotter than Nigeria. Thank God am going back to Texas. Wishing all arriving nairalanders a safe trip.

Go to the beach and cool off.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by goryorhal(m): 12:21am On Aug 15, 2014
Please house.. is it advisable to apply to a college... i'm thinking of applying to Berea College.........
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 12:26am On Aug 15, 2014
goryorhal: Please house.. is it advisable to apply to a college... i'm thinking of applying to Berea College.........

Yes, you can apply to a community college(CC) if funds are tight for you and you're looking for cheap schools to study at. However, community college applicants have high denial rates at the embassy and in order to go about this, you would also want to apply to a university at the same time as the CC, obtain admission from both the CC and university, but take the university I-20 to the embassy. After you arrive US, you transfer to the CC, which is easy and doesn't take time and takes like maximum of 1 week in most cases I have seen.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 12:33am On Aug 15, 2014
exxy: is it compulsory a student must inform school about visa approval ?

No. It is not necessary at all. All you need to do on your part is arrive early and simply show up at the school.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 12:34am On Aug 15, 2014
Tekecoms1: Please is there anyone in this forum that has the list of schools that doesnt require a GRE for admitting a Graduate student in engineering, telecommunication?
2ndly, Can i diversify into a related masters program in USA as far as it has a meaningful relationship with my course?

Thanks to all the enlightened brothers and sisters in the house for all previous responses.
I love una gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.
May this forum be heard of in Yankee grin grin grin grin grin grin Amen

Yes, the number 1 engineering school in US - MIT! grin cheesy

Visit, http://www.eecs.mit.edu/academics-admissions/graduate-program/faqs, scroll down to number 15. cheesy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 12:38am On Aug 15, 2014
Tekecoms1: ehn ehn, I am still more confused as per the WES stuff cos their charges are just too high just for evaluation and conversion.
Please tell me the benefits that comes from using the services of WES abeg ooooooooooo.
E be like say you sabi this thing pass me my bossss ooooooo.

Most people use WES simply because it is part of their prospective school's admission requirements.

However, having a WES-translated degree can also be helpful because a WES translation of your transcripts and certificate into the US-equivalent can be used to find a white-collar job in US. Most white-collar job employers in the US prefer US B.Sc. degrees to foreign degrees. A friend of mine in Texas who is a banker got the job because they required his B.sc and when he told them it was a foreign degree, they were about to deny him the job until he remembered he had recently translated using WES into the US equivalent, and then sent it in, in lieu of his original Nigerian certificate, and he was accepted for the job. He almost got denied his job but for his WES translation.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 12:38am On Aug 15, 2014
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by goryorhal(m): 12:44am On Aug 15, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Yes, you can apply to a community college(CC) if funds are tight for you and you're looking for cheap schools to study at. However, community college applicants have high denial rates at the embassy and in order to go about this, you would also want to apply to a university at the same time as the CC, obtain admission from both the CC and university, but take the university I-20 to the embassy. After you arrive US, you transfer to the CC, which is easy and doesn't take time and takes like maximum of 1 week in most cases I have seen.

thanks you got a mail to attend to please..
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 12:50am On Aug 15, 2014
goryorhal:

thanks you got a mail to attend to please..
Thanks

I am yet to receive the email.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by exxy(m): 1:21am On Aug 15, 2014
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by exxy(m): 1:24am On Aug 15, 2014
bigfrancis21:

goryorhal, Berea college, very competitive! got -correct scholarship

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by teemodel: 3:08am On Aug 15, 2014
Amerinancy: my handsome sweet cousin schools there. you want me to hook you up with him? wink

Do the hookup immediately....lol......
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Tekecoms1(m): 3:32am On Aug 15, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Most people use WES simply because it is part of their prospective school's admission requirements.

However, having a WES-translated degree can also be helpful because a WES translation of your transcripts and certificate into the US-equivalent can be used to find a white-collar job in US. Most white-collar job employers in the US prefer US B.Sc. degrees to foreign degrees. A friend of mine in Texas who is a banker got the job because they required his B.sc and when he told them it was a foreign degree, they were about to deny him the job until he remembered he had recently translated using WES into the US equivalent, and then sent it in, in lieu of his original Nigerian certificate, and he was accepted for the job. He almost got denied his job but for his WES translation.
You are too musssssssssh.
Let me tell it straight to you that I have an HND qualification and I don't know if its OK I send it to WES for evalutions?
May God butter ur bread ...
I wanna know the best time to send my results to WES i.e. after or before writing GRE?
Thanks for been there.....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Tekecoms1(m): 3:43am On Aug 15, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Yes, the number 1 engineering school in US - MIT! grin cheesy

Visit, http://www.eecs.mit.edu/academics-admissions/graduate-program/faqs, scroll down to number 15. cheesy
Thanks baba.
I wanna apply as a graduate student cos i have an HND qualification in elect elect majoring in telecoms and they dont seem to have the course sef but can i switch to another related course for my masters. ..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Rijo02: 4:23am On Aug 15, 2014
OjaP: Dear All,

Please prepare well and make sure to come to America with a lot of money. Just like several people have said in the past days, it could be so tough as an international with no funding. The schools and embassies assume that you have the means to come here to study and that is why they both ask to see statement of accounts. Most people go to the embassy painting a picture of their parents sponsoring them and one would be astonished with the millions of naira in the statement of account they present to the V.Os. Sometimes, I keep wondering, and wonder if the millions in those accounts disappeared right after collecting the Visa.

That said, for undergraduates without any form of scholarships, and who can't afford enough money to attend a university, this goes to you. Please try to apply, and get a community college admission before coming here. Community colleges are cheap and you can easily transfer there and spend your first two years of college paying a cheaper tuition before going back to the university for your last 2 years. This would be so beneficial as your first 2 years would expose you to a lot of things which include meeting the right people. If you are not offered any form of scholarship as part of your admission packages; please do not come to the U.S at all expecting manna from heaven - It doesn't happen in most cases. You really have to come here with your finances well planned else you fall out of status. Life as an illegal immigrant is not what I pray anybody I know should experience; it is really tough.

For grad students who don't have the money, please make sure you get some form of funding from your school before coming. If not, make sure there is a promise you will get one before your second year in the program. Also, make sure you come for a degree that makes economic sense to the United States. You will fully understand the benefit of this by the time you graduate. I will always respect those folks on here who have decided to defer their admissions or look for a cheaper school or a community college so they can have a control of their finances in the US. Again, you guys will always earn my respect.

In any case, be well prepared financially for your first year of school in the United States. Do not let the words "hope" or "assume" be in your dictionary at all when coming here as a first timer. However, things tends to become easier the more you stay in the country. Many of us have passed through this, and many times we have gotten discouraged and wanted to give up. Many times we've had to summon up courage and keep fighting, and make sure never to derail or loose focus. The real heroes and heroines are those who despite all odds completed their studies even with good grades.

The United States is a land of opportunity where you are allowed to become what you want. There are several ways to getting a green card, and the process can be faster if you are educated. These days, most men and woman want a man/woman who is well educated and that has a great potential. Your US-born or naturalized bf/gf would take you serious or be ready to marry you if you are well educated. Your company would be ready to file for you if you are well educated and have the skills. You can file for yourself if in a PhD program or have a PhD with some publications. As you can see, all still boils down to being educated.

Life could be tough at the start in the United States but just like the sages would say; there would always be light at the end of the tunnel. Staying focused and determined are the two keys. Of course, putting GOD almighty first is the ultimate. With HIM, everything will fall in place. As a way of giving back to NL, if there is anyone coming to California and needs a place to stay before school resumes, such person should pm me as I may be able to work things out for him/her.

Good luck to everyone.

This is really a nice piece. Let each and every person here apply this as it concerns you. The US is not easy and will never change to be for international students. I thought I will start making monies grin when I arrived here considering I have assistantship that waived my tuition to $25 per semester and I have $1300/mo pay. On the contrary, there are other fees (Health Insurance, Lab Fees, Transport, Technology, etc) which I have to pay that will deduct stuffs from my paycheck ( State n Federal Taxes inclusive).

That said, the US is nice if you plan well. Am here for 14 days, settling into the new environment but have got my SSN which came less than 1 week after application (Unusual to my employer) and Driver's licence in view (Just for ID seek ooo).

My Advise: If your a graduate student in the science field, though you have your career interests, try and find interest in something else that easily help create funding and bring you here. Eg., I met a Nigerian Medical doctor who came here for MSc in Public health. He had is eye in the residency program but he cant make it there from Nigeria. He finished his MSc n now in the residence program with $50k pay. I admire his tact. A Chinese lady finished Msc in Food nutrition and went to the medical school. She has her green card now even with recommendation from her Food nutrition professor.

We are good, smart and intelligent Nigerians. We are really blessed by God. Lets move ahead and achieve that which we desire.

Cheers guys!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Rijo02: 4:30am On Aug 15, 2014
bigfrancis21: In more ways than one, coming here as a master's student is better than as an undergraduate.

1) The associated cost of a 4-year B.sc degree as compared to 1 or 2 years for masters. It is way much cheaper and better to complete your UG in Nigeria and come here for master's instead.

2) As an international student seeking work employment (H1B work visa) after graduation, the ease of getting jobs with a master's degree or having a company file for you if you have a master's degree. For those who are just hearing H1B work visa for the first time, the H1B work visa is a work visa valid for 6 years that enables you as an international student to work for a company after graduation from school. You don't file for it though, your hiring company files for it on your behaf. It is one of the routes to getting the green card, as some people may think the marriage route is the only route to green card. However, this route tends to take longer time, be competitive and favourable towards those really good in their field.

3) Additional 20,000 H1B work visas allocated to Master's applicants only, in addition to the 65,000 H1B work visas allocated to all applicants - Associate degree, B.sc, and Master's students. Due to the enormous number of H1B visa applications received each year, up to twice the number available, the USCIS carries out a lottery that selects the final 65,000 of all applications submitted. Now for the master's category, if all master's applications exceed 20,000 in number for that year, all applications in the Master's pool received are tried in a lottery and 20,000 winners are selected. The remaining unselected number in the master's category are then transferred to the 65,000 cateogory for a lottery along with other categories of applicants thus giving master's applicants double chances of selection, compared to one-chance for undergraduates.

4) More funding/scholarship opportunities from the school and Nigerian oil companies available to master's students compared to undergraduates where you have to rely solely on home/personal funds or hustling.

Coming here as a master's student tends to favour you more than B.sc.

Francis.......U are really big. Nice info about the H Visa. I dont really know the details but to the extend that I know, you seem to be in sync. MSc n Phd over here gives a greater opportunity but still not easy. Companies do not really want to get involved in H Visa stuff's but nevertheless, they will still give in.
For BSc, the opportunity is slim but they go opportunity to go for MSc esp the science students. Their prof's can easily offer them money for their program and they eventually get there.
Lets keep the ambition high..........we will all get there.
Peace!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Dot1(m): 5:38am On Aug 15, 2014
JycOsas: Anyone schooling in East Tennessee State University?
Pls I need an accommodation around dis school,
Contact Doctoroma

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Dot1(m): 5:55am On Aug 15, 2014
Tekecoms1: You got me laughing with your words, its not as if i am scared o bro but just thinking i could bypass the GRE process tingy.
Anyways thanks sha..............
Bro, you want to get into a program that's virtually the most competitive in the US, so take the GRE to increase ur chances. Remember those Chinese & Indians are everywhere and they ace standardized tests. Hence, u not writing the GRE is reducing ur chances
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by exxy(m): 6:34am On Aug 15, 2014
@ Doctoroma,bro u got a pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by exxy(m): 6:38am On Aug 15, 2014
Meaza Berhanu, come on here, this is emmi. the thread i was telling u about on fb
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 6:50am On Aug 15, 2014
Rijo02:

Francis.......U are really big. Nice info about the H Visa. I dont really know the details but to the extend that I know, you seem to be in sync. MSc n Phd over here gives a greater opportunity but still not easy. Companies do not really want to get involved in H Visa stuff's but nevertheless, they will still give in.
For BSc, the opportunity is slim but they go opportunity to go for MSc esp the science students. Their prof's can easily offer them money for their program and they eventually get there.
Lets keep the ambition high..........we will all get there.
Peace!!!

@bold...how did you know? cheesy

Thanks man.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 6:52am On Aug 15, 2014
Tekecoms1: Thanks baba.
I wanna apply as a graduate student cos i have an HND qualification in elect elect majoring in telecoms and they dont seem to have the course sef but can i switch to another related course for my masters. ..

I sent you an email with some information. Check your email.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 6:55am On Aug 15, 2014
Tekecoms1: You are too musssssssssh.
Let me tell it straight to you that I have an HND qualification and I don't know if its OK I send it to WES for evalutions?
May God butter ur bread ...
I wanna know the best time to send my results to WES i.e. after or before writing GRE?
Thanks for been there.....

Most importantly, only send to WES if any of your prospective schools requires WES translation. Other than that you need not to, except say you just wan translate am keep if you plan to dey chuk eye for some kyn IT jobs while you still dey do your masters for here...you fit dey lucky sha...company fit like you sha come file for you with your 'US' B.sc degree. cheesy

@bold...at any time within your application time window. Doesn't matter which comes first. Finally, all of them - GRE, WES translation and all other required documents, must be sent in for your application to be complete and considered for admission.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by kaybos: 7:03am On Aug 15, 2014
this is to alert the house of one scammer called engn kehinde. he and his colleaque has just defrauded my friend now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Faraidi(m): 7:06am On Aug 15, 2014
MsNas:
They know. Even if you don't tell them
how would they know? Are they witches?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 7:21am On Aug 15, 2014
Faraidi: how would they know? Are they witches?
That's because the consulate has already mailed them..so even if you don't tell them they already know. The day I got my visa,my school mailed me congratulating me and expecting my safe arrival on campus.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by justwise(m): 7:30am On Aug 15, 2014
kaybos: this is to alert the house of one scammer called engn kehinde. he and his colleaque has just defrauded my friend now.

Here in travel section?

(1) (2) (3) ... (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) ... (501)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.