Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,064 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (480) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (454618 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (477) (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 6:48pm On Aug 17, 2014
MsNas:

My GTBANK Card does not work on POS again oo angry I tried to swipe it last week at Kroger and it was denied. I had to use the ATM cos I didn't have Internet banking. But my friend's Skye Bank card works when swiping. Guess what? They charged her lesser exchange rate than GTBANK charges me! undecided

If swiping doesn't work, just insert it and put your pin. Have you tried that?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by decreamaster(m): 6:53pm On Aug 17, 2014
stevecrun: When you differ your admission in the USA you'd have to return back to your home country or you will fall out of status.
i hope there wont be any problem at the port of entry if i go by winter,i mean january?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 17, 2014
decreamaster: i hope there wont be any problem at the port of entry if i go by winter,i mean january?
if you going by winter(DEC/January..better let your school's admission officer know so they can get your file updated and send you an updated spring i20.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 17, 2014
it seems this fall2014 has been great..testimonies everywhere.

Hope we are all bracing for a new life in the united states?To all those delayed visa at the consulate..we all have you all in our thoughts and prayers.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 7:09pm On Aug 17, 2014
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 7:18pm On Aug 17, 2014
juntod:

If swiping doesn't work, just insert it and put your pin. Have you tried that?
Still doesn't work with that. It doesn't work on POS at all. There used to be a time when I inserted it at the base of the terminal at Walmart and Put my pin but that doesn't work again.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 7:19pm On Aug 17, 2014
bigfrancis21:

How sure are you of this? I know someone who studied a semester here and deferred by 2 semesters. He's still in the US to resume school next year.
Check F-1 visa rules online. There's always ways to beat the rules but what worked for A might not work for B.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 7:25pm On Aug 17, 2014
MsNas:
Check F-1 visa rules online. There's always ways to beat the rules but what worked for A night not work for B.

My sister, US Immigration Law does not expressly forbid neither has it expressly stated that you must return to your home country if you defer while in US. I have been searching google for such law and so far I am yet to see where it is stated. I am aware that an F1 student is expected to continue enrolment in school until completion of studies however there are allowances for interruption in-between once official permission is obtained for the extension. For example, as in the case of female international students who are pregnant and are about to deliver or recently delivered. In such case, they are allowed extension of studies for a semester or two to allow them time nurse their babies. If you have evidence to prove your statement, I stand to be corrected though.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by puffyjoe: 7:28pm On Aug 17, 2014
please how do i follow from part one ?please send me the link
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 7:31pm On Aug 17, 2014
puffyjoe: please how do i follow from part one ?please send me the link

Here's the link to part 1: https://www.nairaland.com/240241/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 7:37pm On Aug 17, 2014
bigfrancis21:

My sister, US Immigration Law does not expressly forbid neither has it expressly stated that you must return to your home country if you defer while in US. I have been searching google for such law and so far I am yet to see where it is stated. I am aware that an F1 student is expected to continue enrolment in school until completion of studies however there are allowances for interruption in-between once official permission is obtained for extension. For example, as in the case of female international students who are pregnant and are about to deliver. In such case, they are allowed extension of studies for a semester or two to allow them time nurse their babies. If you have evidence to prove your statement, I stand to be corrected though.
I understand. But as you said, extension is different from complete deferment. I know of someone that was allowed to take her final exams early enough just cause she was pregnant and will soon deliver. The school expect you to have enough money to cover your expenses which is why they ask for a bank statement. But we could shed more light in this matter by asking the VO on the non-immigrant thread though. That sure will help everybody.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 7:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 7:47pm On Aug 17, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Yea. I am yet to see someone who deferred their admission immediately on arrival here in US. I have been searching online for where it was expressly forbidden but not seen any yet, thus leading me to believe that it is possible. Until we see someone who did so we can only speculate.
I understand you, but I also think its good to err on the good side of caution. You can never be too cautious. Some people might read that and think it is alright to defer their admission and stay back in America. Some might be lucky and some might not. I for one don't take a gamble with such serious issues. smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Feexo: 7:48pm On Aug 17, 2014
MsNas:
Feexo, check the trains too. Someone told me there are trains between NY and Chicago. It will get you there faster than greyhound buses who are notorious for their snail slow speed.
That being said, did you tell your prof about your plight? I mean, does he know about your present situation about fees? Because for him to tell you to come quickly to school, that means he's trying to arrange something for you. I'm hoping it's something big that means you won't have to defer your admission. Don't waste any extra second in New York biko. Go
to school.
I waiting for that day that I will wake up and hear good news about you on this thread. And it will be soon! Still keeping you in my prayers. smiley

I will try and check out the train route and let you know. Yes, I explained everything to the Prof; from the demise of my mom to the financial incapacitation.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 7:50pm On Aug 17, 2014
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Feexo: 7:55pm On Aug 17, 2014
MsNas, I am presently staying in Queens,NY. My school is in Macomb, 3:45 mins ride by car. There is a train service from Chicago to Macomb and I am exploring that option too.

BigFrancis, thanks for the info about Greyhound. How does one go about making the payment since I am booking online and I only have cash with me?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 7:56pm On Aug 17, 2014
Feexo: MsNas, I am presently staying in Queens,NY. My school is in Macomb, 3:45 mins ride by car. There is a train service from Chicago to Macomb and I am exploring that option too.

BigFrancis, thanks for the info about Greyhound. How does one go about making the payment since I am booking online and I only have cash with me?
Wait, are you going to Western Illinois University?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by decreamaster(m): 7:58pm On Aug 17, 2014
pls let someone see to my matter here o
i havent paid the sevis fee but my visa has been approved
hope it wont delay the processing of the visa
pls i need answers o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by streetMic(m): 7:58pm On Aug 17, 2014
Good. Never wanted commenting but since you have commented i should input. One can defer and still remain in the state. Ur international office will issue you CPT so u can go and work, earn and return to skool and fund ur studies. but i think this process is possible after 1 full year of studies in ur skool.

bigfrancis21:

How sure are you of this? I know someone who studied a semester here and deferred by 2 semesters. He's still in the US to resume school next year.

US Immigration Law does not expressly forbid neither has it expressly stated where it says you must return to your home country if you defer while in US. I have been searching google for such law and so far I am yet to see where it is stated. If you have evidence to prove your statement, I stand to be corrected though.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by streetMic(m): 8:03pm On Aug 17, 2014
Brother, Go and pay na. they might need it to update ur records with the department of home land securities. I know you must present it at the POE so y not just still pay in good time.

decreamaster: pls let someone see to my matter here o
i havent paid the sevis fee but my visa has been approved
hope it wont delay the processing of the visa
pls i need answers o

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by streetMic(m): 8:06pm On Aug 17, 2014
Do you have Cash in Ur GTB naira account? if yes select the master card payment option. they will debit ur account directly.

Feexo: MsNas, I am presently staying in Queens,NY. My school is in Macomb, 3:45 mins ride by car. There is a train service from Chicago to Macomb and I am exploring that option too.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 8:15pm On Aug 17, 2014
streetMic: Do you have Cash in Ur GTB naira account? if yes select the master card payment option. they will debit ur account directly.

If I didn't have cash in my account, why would I try using it? Do Nigerian banks give overdraft? The card does not work on POS anymore. And its not only mine that is acting that way.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Feexo: 8:19pm On Aug 17, 2014
MsNas:
Wait, are you going to Western Illinois University?

Yes. Why did you ask?

streetMic: Do you have Cash in Ur GTB naira account? if yes select the master card payment option. they will debit ur account directly.

I emptied the account when I was coming last week, but I am expecting a deposit tomorrow morning.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by streetMic(m): 8:26pm On Aug 17, 2014
MsNas:
If I didn't have cash in my account, why would I try using it? Do Nigerian banks give overdraft? The card does not work on POS anymore. And its not only mine that is acting that way.

lol..sowiee Mam. wrong mention. neva wanted to mention feexo about paying for his bus. U got a PM tho.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by streetMic(m): 8:29pm On Aug 17, 2014
ohkay. If they have book on hold option go for it
Feexo:

Yes. Why did you ask?

I emptied the account when I was coming last week, but I am expecting a deposit tomorrow morning.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 8:37pm On Aug 17, 2014
Feexo:

Yes. Why did you ask?
I know people there. Both are/were Nairalanders
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 17, 2014
Miss Nas,I remember a guy here..I think last year on this thread..that ran out of funds when he got to the states.He applied to differ his admission to next session.But he was adviced by his school to differ and return to Nigeria that he would fall out of status if he remained in the USA.

I can't remember the guy again..he even brought up the issue of marrying a citizen but guys told him..that would take so long,that no lady would want to marry an immigrant whose stranded in the streets.

I've also searched Google and USA immigration forums and I can't seem to find where the law of leaving USA is stated.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 9:05pm On Aug 17, 2014
stevecrun: Miss Nas,I remember a guy here..I think last year on this thread..that ran out of funds when he got to the states.He applied to differ his admission to next session.But he was adviced by his school to differ and return to Nigeria that he would fall out of status if he remained in the USA.

I can't remember the guy again..he even brought up the issue of marrying a citizen but guys told him..that would take so long,that no lady would want to marry an immigrant whose stranded in the streets.

I've also searched Google and USA immigration forums and I can't seem to find where the law of leaving USA is stated.
Thank You. I remember the guy too. As you said, the school advised him to defer his admission and go back to Nigeria else he will fall out of status. Note that it was the school that told him so o.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 17, 2014
MsNas:
Thank You. I remember the guy too. As you said, the school advised him to defer his admission and go back to Nigeria else he will fall out of status. Note that it was the school that told him so o.
since we don't know virtually all the laws and schools seem to have the final say these days..its best someone plans well before leaving Nigeria..If pocket no reach universities, community college gates are always open.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by castrotroy80: 9:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
Goodevening house, i choose Isolo document pick up and VO told me to pick my passport up at VI abeg where do i go, VI or Isolo. And what other document do i need to go with to the pick up center? Urgent response needed.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by decreamaster(m): 9:53pm On Aug 17, 2014
castrotroy80: Goodevening house, i choose Isolo document pick up and VO told me to pick my passport up at VI abeg where do i go, VI or Isolo. And what other document do i need to go with to the pick up center? Urgent response needed.
me too,i choose isolo but she said VI,
you will have to go with d biodata page of ur passport and d pickup letter
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by ridimic1: 10:03pm On Aug 17, 2014
pls how much plagiarism is plagiarism when i copy and rewrite a sop from the net...more like a template.....wil d sch find out?

(1) (2) (3) ... (477) (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) ... (501)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.