Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,068 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders (30279 Views)

Help! I Am Suffering From Depression / Thread For Those Suffering From Insomnia?... / Help/remedies For Those Suffering From Hyperhidrosis. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by corsican: 9:38pm On Nov 20, 2013
Depression is caused by imbalances in the amount of the neurotransmitters Norepinephrine and Serotonin in the brain. These neurotransmitters are relatively low in amount in people suffering from depressive episodes. Because these two substances mediate synaptic transmission in neurons that control mood and so many other behavioural functions, the resulting depression can be very debilitating. The perfect example is to imagine when we all have low mood. Now imagine that lasting for weeks in a depressed person. There are many classes of antidepressant drugs; the monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, the heterocyclics. The most effective are the Selective Serotonin Reuptake inhibitors aka SSRIs. If not for our warped health care system, SSRIs such as Zoloft and Prozac are very common with psychologists and psychiatrists in developed countries. We need to change our attitude towards mental illness, especially in Africa. Depression is real, and I believe you have a better chance of solving your problems once you share it with the world. I'll also advise anyone who is depressed, or knows someone that is depressed, to please go for a psych exam in the nearest teaching hospital. No one will chain you to the bed, you're just having chemical imbalances much like someone with peptic ulcer disease. It can be treated, and psychotherapy also helps. Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by neneslim(m): 10:52pm On Nov 20, 2013
I wishe there is a place that we can all meet in physical to discus this kind of problems. I wil realy help nd give more hope.
neneslim: Hi, thanks for having a thread like this, am a young man of 27yrs marrif early dis year nd av been blessed with a son, i used to be a very fun person,i have one of the best job nd a car to go wit it. I lost my job jst afta i fixed the date of my wedding, it was ok cos i was sure am gonna get anoda one bt til nw i cnt nd my wife has been taking care of the family,it became embarassing cos of the way her mum tink of me nd luk at everytin i do,anytime she is around she makes me feel very little nd frm then i started shutting the doors of my life to myself,i stay alone nd tink of so many tins nd even wan commit suicide cos so many tins happen as a result of nt having a job again,u knw hw it cn be being a hight flying banker to being jobles nd broke,the only tin i ve i my house nd everytin in it nd the car. So many times i wan go out bt no one to hang out wit cos al my frnds are busy wit there jobs nd no one wil wan listen to ur problems, most times i end up driving to the fields close to my house nd seat there nd cry cos i dnt knw hw i became such an embarasment. I became a burden to ppl around me,my wife has been there bt u culd feel she is nt free to do wat she realy wan do cos of the fear of ha mum.i jst nid ppl to talk to nd hang out wit jst friends cos am scared of fallen into that dark hole of depression.thanks alot to whoeva wan listen.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by PaulSteve: 10:55pm On Nov 20, 2013
Good thread, very important issue!
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Whiteguru: 11:45pm On Nov 20, 2013
Nice thread! I love this especially because as a psychiatrist in Africa,, i find that my biggest challenges are not diagnosing some of these mental illnesses, it is getting the patient and their relatives to believe it is manageable in a hospital setting. This thread will help us to demystify depression and other mental illnesses and crreate awareness. i will b following this thread from now and will be interested in helping and tuking to anyone who is in need of a listening ear and professional advice and counseling. Kudos @ Op for this inovation!.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by depressionkills(f): 11:46pm On Nov 20, 2013
OMG shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
My thread made the front page
*CRYING TEARS OF JOY*

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by depressionkills(f): 11:54pm On Nov 20, 2013
Whiteguru: Nice thread! I love this especially because as a psychiatrist in Africa,, i find that my biggest challenges are not diagnosing some of these mental illnesses, it is getting the patient and their relatives to believe it is manageable in a hospital setting. This thread will help us to demystify depression and other mental illnesses and crreate awareness. i will b following this thread from now and will be interested in helping and tuking to anyone who is in need of a listening ear and professional advice and counseling. Kudos @ Op for this inovation!.

Thank you so very much for this message really, it means a lot.
As I said earlier even few words of support can save a life.

I, myself created this thread few weeks ago as a safe place for people like me NOT TO BE JUDGED and feel supported. At first I intended to provide a listening ear to others like me, but since I myself suffer from depression, I have been slacking a lot and I feel guilty for letting so many down.
I spend most of my days curled up in my bed having panic attacks after panic attacks, wondering why I was cursed with this disease that has taken now eight years of my life and feeling desperate and hopeless and even if I want people to feel better, I sometimes feel dead inside.

The think with mental illness and disabilities like depression and anxiety is that people CANNOT SEE how debilitating it is unlike someone who would have a physical disability. They do not understand the pain because they so no injury, no tear and even many suffering dont understand their own pain and start hating themselves for being 'defectuous'. BUT THEY ARE NOT!! I really want to send a message of love to many of us who so often looked down upon, abused, let down and stuff.

So if you could please help me make this place a safe heaven and provide support I would eternally be thankful to you kiss
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by depressionkills(f): 12:12am On Nov 21, 2013
radientstar: I ve learn a lot from dis thread bt in my own situation each time I feel like I ve gotten my life back my family pull me back to my depressed mood and say hurtful words at me, I ve tried suicide bt d thought of going to hell won't let me pls wat do I do?

First of all share your worries with a non-judgmental ear that will validate you pain and not put you down. Trust me, I know I have been there. My parents hate me for suffering form a disease that is hereditary in my case, they often say very very hurtful things to because due to my disease I wasn t able to achieve as much as they wanted. For me, they listening ear was my sister and my doctors. THEY NEVER JUDGE ME. For some people, it can be a pastor or a religious person, others a penpal even on a forum. Have you ever tried going on depressed people forum, there nobody will judge you trust me wink
Secondly, try to be nice with yourself. I know how hard this is when one is plagued with negative self talk and on top of that people close to you talking you down. Please SPLOIT YOURSELF. LEARN TO LET GO OF THE IDEA THAT YOU ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH, STOP TALKING YOURSELF USING 'SHOULD'. Basically stop bullying yourself. This may seem simple but it is very very very hard. Just imagine the person you love the most on this planet, try and direct that kind of love t yourself. How you treat your dearest one, treat yourself. Stop and ask yourself, how would I treat someone I love a lot, well do it to yourself.

Like if someone tell something bad to someone you love, you would defend them right Reassure them of their worth and your unconditional love right, well do this to yourself.
You can also try and write letters to yourself, compassionate letter that is.
I will try and post some self compassion material.

Thridly, stand up for yourself. NO other love on this earth is more healing and powerful than self love. Put straight limits between people attacking you and yourself and dare them to cross it!! you must get away from toxic relationship even if it comes from people hurting you, yep even your parents. Verbalise your feelings, tell them to their face because buried emotions can truly kill someone. If they do not respect you then distance yourself form them. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO PUT YOURSELF FIRST AND PROTECT YOURSELF ESPECIALLY AS A SUICIDAL AND VULNERABLE PERSON!! Because you deserve love and care too

Fourthly be compassionate to others. This may not seem like much but from experience, the more you give, the more your receive, more you learn to love an dofrgive others, more you will able to do it to yourself too.

That is all for now wink
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by depressionkills(f): 12:15am On Nov 21, 2013
salt 1: The Depression Killer Exercise

Today lets look at some of the physical causes of depression and what you can do to counteract them.These are not so much primary causes, but they can help get you into depression or lift you out of it.

One thing is breath. Your brain and your body work best with lots of oxygen. However, when you work in a cubicle and don't get much exercise, it is easy to get less oxygen into your cells over time. This can cause you to feel despondent.

So one thing you should be doing if you are curing your depression is to exercise regularly. 30 minutes a day of some kind of aerobic exercise. Walking, biking, treadmill. Not only will this help you feel more vitality, it will oxygenate your system. This can buffer you against depressive episodes in a short amount of time.

Another thing is posture. Sitting slumped in a cubicle all day long derails your natural vitality. Slumped shoulders and hanging head contribute to feeling low. So notice how you hold your body, sitting or standing. Get in the habit of sitting more straight. When standing, throw your shoulders back some. It really does help.

Regular exercise will help with posture as well. Your body is a finely tuned machine. Take good care of it and it will help you ward off heavy, depressive feelings.

Thanks a lot for this smiley
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by nnocurruption: 12:41am On Nov 21, 2013
It seems like women suffer from depression more than men please don't get me wrong I am just surprise.
@depression kills I see no reason why you are depressed because from what I've seen you are a very very intelligent writer that give me a good feeling about you.
Secondly, I think you are very emotional you should try to control your feelings and look on the bright side of life cause life is not a bed of roses there are sometimes when you feel down and sometimes you feel up but you just have to keep putting one foot in front of another and keep moving.
If only you can keep telling yourself that you are not depress you will see a positive change in your thoughts.
What ever you think you are is exactly what you are try to control your mind and accept Jesus he is all you need every answer you are looking for is found in the Bible just try to read it.
The Bible is like a manual given to you by God who created your exactly the way you are.
Please accept Jesus he is the answer to all your problems and also try to control your mind cause all battles are won on the inside.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by MsSantaClaus(f): 12:42am On Nov 21, 2013
Oh Gosh reading all the posts here took my breath away, I wish I could hug each and everyone of you! Iv lived with a severely depressed lovely person for so long and I know a bit about how you feel. Hang in there, you are not alone, people will learn to understand with time. Depression is such a terrible feeling, Iv been there too! Beautiful meaningful thread. Hugs!
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by depressionkills(f): 1:13am On Nov 21, 2013
neneslim: Hi, thanks for having a thread like this, am a young man of 27yrs marrif early dis year nd av been blessed with a son, i used to be a very fun person,i have one of the best job nd a car to go wit it. I lost my job jst afta i fixed the date of my wedding, it was ok cos i was sure am gonna get anoda one bt til nw i cnt nd my wife has been taking care of the family,it became embarassing cos of the way her mum tink of me nd luk at everytin i do,anytime she is around she makes me feel very little nd frm then i started shutting the doors of my life to myself,i stay alone nd tink of so many tins nd even wan commit suicide cos so many tins happen as a result of nt having a job again,u knw hw it cn be being a hight flying banker to being jobles nd broke,the only tin i ve i my house nd everytin in it nd the car. So many times i wan go out bt no one to hang out wit cos al my frnds are busy wit there jobs nd no one wil wan listen to ur problems, most times i end up driving to the fields close to my house nd seat there nd cry cos i dnt knw hw i became such an embarasment. I became a burden to ppl around me,my wife has been there bt u culd feel she is nt free to do wat she realy wan do cos of the fear of ha mum.i jst nid ppl to talk to nd hang out wit jst friends cos am scared of fallen into that dark hole of depression.thanks alot to whoeva wan listen.

Though our paths in life are different we have so much in common, I know how heavy a burden, the fear of filure is, trust me!! Just reread my OP!!
We live in a society that teach us that our worth as human is based on external things like a degree, a job, money, a car blabla and push us to chase unattainable dreams until they destroy us.
Fist you need to understand that YOUR WORTH IS UNCONDITIONAL!! OK?

When one look at this, one realise how foolish this is. We value oursleves with material things as if life was not the most precious thing on earth!! You are more than a car, more than a job, more than a Rolex watch bla bla. I just remember watching few weeks a go a movie called Fruitvale Station based on Oscar Grant's life and I cry myself to sleep.
Oscar Grant was one of these people the materialist and racist society deemed 'worthless': Black, unemployed, poor, drop out, teenage father, umarried, exconvicted.
But you know what made me cry To see how deeply loved he was by his mother, sister, girlfirned and especially daughters.
Seriously Bleep all that non important shiiitttt and talk to people who have been through seriosu illness and life threatening situations they will ALLL tell you that went you face death you understand that those fake pursuits do not matter. On you death bed, the last images you will see before dying will the images of your love ones, the moments you have spent together and cherished. Trust me, you will see no images of you at the office or washing your expensive car. I know it may be hard t understand because as depressed people, we all have this negative self-talk that tells us that we are useless, that everybody will be better off we us being dead. I know that voice very well but I can tell you this voice is a lie.

On 13 dec 2010, I was planning to kill myself, like I had everything ready I called my dad to told him god bye and told him that I couldnt anymore. I was so convinced that he would talk me down about my poor grades and lack of attendance because of my negative self talk that had manged to convinced me that I was absolutely useless. You know what he did/ He dropped on his knees and begged me not to do it. I had never seen him cry before, I didn't even know that my dad could cry. Trust me, if you kill yourself, and someone call you wife to tell her that you are in the hospital, the first thing she will say wont be 'has he found a job yet?' Nope!1 She will be distraught and break down. Your son needs you too just like Safina, Oscar Grant's daughter, misses her dad.
People are ignorant and they dont know how to love especially in Africa. Many thing that by being mean they are being helpful and call it tough love when hurtful words causes the biggest words to the soul.

Secondly, you have achieved a lot and you are a success!! Yep you!! You have achieved a lot I am sure. Start measuring success with things that matter. In the old days they would say that the wealth of a man is his family, his children. You have that, not many are as lucky as you. You managed to find the love of your life and she loves you back and is even supportive financially. This is a blessing, accept her love and support and do not take it as a sign that you are less than a man. She deems you to be man enough for her and it means a lot. You manged to graduate, not everyone can, I am one of them wink. You are surely a very wise and smart person I am sure. There is more to life than material things.
Life is a becoming. There is not right or wrong way to live, we are trying an doing our best with the cards we are dealt. You have achieved a lot. Even waking up, bathing, eating is an achievement for many depressed people who cant even get out of their bed. Please be kind to yourself dear.
There is this proverb that Robert Kennedy would always repeat, it is from a greek poet, I think his name is Aeschyllus or something like that: "In agony learn wisdom for the true nature of life is injustice" After JFK assassination, he slumped into a deep depression and didnt know what to do with his life. He was so depressed that he would even wear his brother's old clothes. You know what his pain taught him? That life was short and that he shall live a life true to his values for it to have meaning. He who was formely anti-communist and pro-vietnam war did a u-turn and start opposing it. He who didnt care for black people as a white rich privileged kid, started to support the civil right movement. His pain made him more compassionate to people despite skin color or origin differences, who were suffering like him. Through doing what he thought right ta the time even if he received a lot of flack from the democrats of the time, he healed his wounds. Maybe your pain is there to teach who are really there for you. Who will stand for you at your lowest, who has your back and really love you for you. Your pain may be there to help you weave deep bonds with people who REALLY LOVE YOU FOR YOU Please the judgmental naysayers because as Marilyn Monroe use to say: "If they cant stand you at your worst, they dont deserve you at your best"
Also a close door is often another that opens. Maybe you have a hobby or idea for a business and stuff, please dont be afraid to explore your internal resources.

STOP COMPARING YOURSLEF TO OTHERS, LIFE IS NOT A COMPETION. Stop trying to keep up with the Joneses and forget what matters. Have you ever thought about doing GRATITUDE LIST OR PRAYERS?
Basically list all the things you are grateful for that will sheer you up and help you see the glass half full and not half empty. When you compare yourself to other, your glass is always empty and you can enjoy the other full half. Stop doing that. We all go through things differently you know. Even the rich cry. Someone in your situation could be perfectly happy while those you envy may be under a lot of stress and just as depressed as you, you know. Maybe there are even people who have been trying t have children and cant.
I am not trying to put you down and tell you that there a people who have it worse than you, I hate when people do that because it invalidate you pain. YOUR PAIN IS VALID! What I have just trying to tell you is that we often think that the herb is greener on the other side and put ourselves down with pointless comparisons. Spend more them truly enjoying hwat you already have instead of dwelling on what you dont have. Love your son, your wife, your relatives.

Thirdly, stop blaming yourself for things BEYOND YOUR CONTROL!! We all know how the economy is especially in Africa. Milliosn have lost their jobs these past years and many are still jobless. If you look around you will see that many are unemployed too. Dont just stay focused on those who lives the high life and forget your blessing. if it makes you feel better, even I , have no job. I am just as jobless and my job prospects are very slim smiley smiley smiley So you are a sucess form where I stand wink wink

I feel compelled to stop now because I think this post is too long lol

Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by depressionkills(f): 1:18am On Nov 21, 2013
I may have psoted this before, I am not sure, this is a video on self-compassion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvtZBUSplr4 The Space Between Self-Esteem and Self Compassion: Kristin Neff at TEDxCentennialParkWomen
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by GboyegaD(m): 1:27am On Nov 21, 2013
tosinqueen: Depression is real! I am a victim. I worry a lot, worry about anything and everything. The funny thing is that people look at me and they think I have got everything going on well for me. Became a chartered accountant at 22, I have a good job&people think I should be the happiest person on earth. But deep down within, I know I m very sad. I really don't know the reason.Nothing seem 2 excite me. I find it difficult to sleep sometimes, lot of mood swings.

I would suggest you just try as much as you can to see happiness in all that concerns you. To what extent do you like your job? To what extent do you like the profession in itself? Try to make friends you can talk to about how you feel and try as much as you can to reduce the friends you make as well because some friends can drive you into mood swing than when you are alone. Also, are there other things that interests you?
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Macelliot(m): 5:46am On Nov 21, 2013
Some peeps wanna use my past against me...
Thank God, All is well.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by onila(f): 6:57am On Nov 21, 2013
depressionkills: OMG shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
My thread made the front page
*CRYING TEARS OF JOY*
cool grin
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by zelexotunla(m): 7:14am On Nov 21, 2013
Love this thread, my own side of depression are very similar to d one faced by Op(depressionkills) but d real and most dangerous part of depression is when you dont know how to portray ur case and people would get exact message you wanted them to get. Goshh! I hate dis disease coupled with ulcer is not easy ooo. How I wished to be more expressive. I'm luking forward to have dat person to confide with
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by haibe(m): 7:29am On Nov 21, 2013
Op I feel your pain and I have been in your situation before until I began to focus on the kingdom of God, lifes beauty and not life's hardship, I began to see things in a new dimension, just believe God will take care of your future. . one word, God loves us all, let's have faith.

this passage of the scriptures have gone a long way in helping me.

Matthew 6:25-33
King James Version (KJV)

25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought
for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall
drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put
on. Is not the life more than meat, and the
body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow
not, neither do they reap, nor gather into
barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them.
Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one
cubit unto his stature?

28 And why take ye thought for raiment?
Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow;
they toil not, neither do they spin:

29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon
in all his glory was not arrayed like one of
these.

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the
field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast
into the oven, shall he not much more clothe
you, O ye of little faith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What
shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or,
Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles
seeksmiley for your heavenly Father knoweth that
ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and
his righteousness; and all these things shall be
added unto you.

Do not mind what religionists say, they also constitute depression in a person's life, just have a personal relationship with God, whenever you feel weak or depressed, tell God to help you and then you should always trust God to take care of your future, your future is secured with God

God bless you..
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by blakky97(m): 7:32am On Nov 21, 2013
DON'T BE SAD!
Dunt worry about tommorrow, you already have all it takes to survive. GOD is your strenght

Don't be worried, life is just a loaf of bread, a cup of tea, a cloth to cover your nudity, and a roof to shield you from the sun and rain, every other thing is luxury

Be happy! You have good health, eyes to see this beautifull world, HANDS TO SCRATCH YOUR BACK whenever it itches, LEGS TO CHANGE LOCATION whenever you need to, body to work and husstle if you are not employed, at least, you have options unlike the baby in the picture born like this, don't be suprised if she grows happy and becomes a motivational speaker who encourages people with hands and legs

Don't kill your self, life is precious to you and me! There are rich men wishing they could buy your kidney for their dying kids now. But they can't! Stevie wonder was a very rich man, he had a child he couldn't see because he was blind, he offered all his wealth to any doctor that could make him see! I know you wouldn't sell your eyes even for a planet filled with gold and diamond right?

Don't be sad- most fears are false. They say what we fear most may never really happen
Be happy! Wealth is not a measure of how much you have, but how much you can give. Believe me, that coins you put on the beggars plate just made you a very rich person. I see no reason why you shold be less esteemed than the most notable wealthy man

Don't give up! Because the devil wishes to frighten us! But we are soldiers! The italians say- virtue shall take up arms against fury, and the battle shall be very brief! Take the fields against whatever worries you, and believe in GOD, your victory is near at hand. And YES! It is very certain!

Much love for you from the inside of me!
Blakky97@yahoo.co.uk,
facebook I'd: steady Gee

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by InvertedHammer: 8:07am On Nov 21, 2013
onila:

I went to a psychologist and was diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder undecided
the psychologist told me I need medication and ordered my school doctor to give me drugs

I took it for a while and stopped
when I realized I needed to go back on medication
my pharmacist said since I haven't taken the drugs for over 7 months undecided and she wnt be able to give me drugs because thats according to their law over here

that means I have to do another psychological evaluation again which takes over one month to complete angry
I have been so lazy to do the whole ish all over again undecided

Hopefully I will soon undecided

I know in Africa, you don't have access to all these things which makes it more difficult for you guys over there
but God is yr strength

Be careful going to your so-called Psychologists.

They will load you up on medications that have far worse side effects
than the depression/anxiety you are currently suffering. I have never seen anyone who recovered fully after they
started seeing a shrink. They will keep diagnosing you with everything in the textbooks and give you medications until
you "off" yourself.

When I get depressed, I pour down a bottle of beer and am good! Simple as that.
When symptoms persist, I up my medication (2 or more bottles) and it never fails.

Hipeeeeeeeey! Am so happy now. Just finished another bottle.

I guess your psychologist will say that I am an alcoholic and try to give me medications for that.
Can you imagine?
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:28am On Nov 21, 2013
Phder:
Trust me, I have been dealing with the side effects for years, I stop taking the prescribed medication last year, felt good for some week, but then again I became really bipolar, couldn't make my own decision, couldn't sleep, it became worse that I had to start taking the medication again.
I became suicidal and my family took all the medication away, it was hard for them to trust me because I would overdose on them. It helped because all of them were there for me, when I couldn't sleep they were there but recently I just moved to another country, far away from home, family and people who knows my situation. I put them away a week ago and I can't find them now, m struggling to sleep, I cry even at the smallest thing and spend time alone.

I am thinking of turning the house upside down today, I can't cope trust me.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Uniqueempress(f): 8:34am On Nov 21, 2013
[quote
author=rubylyt]Am glad I came across ths beautiful thread, it gives mi
hope and d fact dat am not alone in this, well makes mi feel a bit btr.
Been suffern 4 a long whyl, sumtyms I feel so lonely evn wth ppl around,
d emptyness inside mi quite much nd lately iv been tinkn of suicide, bt
knwn dat it isn't an option I hv 2 let go. Couple wth a mum dat tink I
nvr do d ryt tin no mata hw hard I try. Nways, tnx a bunch 4 all ths gvn
us hope here, I wll dfntly follow.[/quote]same here,and she starts calling me a witch or i am useless.:.really painful
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 8:34am On Nov 21, 2013
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by bettermike: 8:43am On Nov 21, 2013
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 21, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: I became suicidal and my family took all the medication away, it was hard for them to trust me because I would overdose on them. It helped because all of them were there for me, when I couldn't sleep they were there but recently I just moved to another country, far away from home, family and people who knows my situation. I put them away a week ago and I can't find them now, m struggling to sleep, I cry even at the smallest thing and spend time alone.

I am thinking of turning the house upside down today, I can't cope trust me.

It's good to have families around, especially when things become worse. Try and find the medication or consult a pharmacist for prescription. They wouldn't sell the drugs to my sister whenever I am in the US, unless she presents a prescription note, so her husband (who happens to be a doctor) helps with the purchase; you might want to explore that option.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by radientstar(f): 10:33am On Nov 21, 2013
Ur words r so encouraging thank you very much, I'm loved everywhere I go that's why sometimes I wonder wat I really did to my family dat makes dem so mad at me, I ve been speaking with few friends and dey ve been so encouraging too, I know I ve an hidden potentials inside of me bt due to my depressed state I ve nt been able to discover them, I ve decided to stay away from d people that talks me down. There is a song I listen to wenever I'm down Hero by maria carey and miracles by maria carey, listen to d lyrics it will go a long way, same goes to every depressed persons' believe me I know it would go a long way. I love u all and I know there is someone out there that cares a lot abt u too, never give up, we will fight dis together and I knw we will come out successful

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 21, 2013
InvertedHammer:

Be careful going to your so-called Psychologists.

They will load you up on medications that have far worse side effects
than the depression/anxiety you are currently suffering. I have never seen anyone who recovered fully after they
started seeing a shrink. They will keep diagnosing you with everything in the textbooks and give you medications until
you "off" yourself.

When I get depressed, I pour down a bottle of beer and am good! Simple as that.
When symptoms persist, I up my medication (2 or more bottles) and it never fails.

Hipeeeeeeeey! Am so happy now. Just finished another bottle.

I guess your psychologist will say that I am an alcoholic and try to give me medications for that.
Can you imagine?

I have been able to survive my darkest moments with the help of my therapist and God. What she does is amazing, I wouldn't advice people like me to neglect/discard a therapy session.

I have a friend that hate pills (just like you) he believes the medication makes him worse and that he would die really quick if he keeps taking the medication. Although his own case is a little bit different; his brain does not produce "serotonin" (forgive my spellings) which means, he has never been happy, in his entire life, he doesn't smile e.t.c. He finds solace in smoking "pot" and now he's addicted.

Please do away with alcohol, and obey your therapist, I've been doing this (obeying her) for 4years now, it's not an easy thing to do but, I have changed a lot, I see the good side of life, I do all I can to stay happy and motivated, and I share the little love with people around me. Don't get me wrong please, it's not easy, I still suffer from this illness but when my dark moments come knocking, I have people that are willing to bring me some light (happiness), they're always around with that bright candle of hope, calling out my name until the moment passes.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Macelliot(m): 10:54am On Nov 21, 2013
bettermike: Believe me when i say you absolutely NOT NEED ANTIDEPRESSANTS FOR SELF SERVICING. Please dont even attempt it! I beg you. As per solution, what you need is this: The will to stop; A target; Restrain yourself from looking or thinking about s*x; and if possible, avoid girls completely for up to 4months. Self servicing is very dangerous as it can indeed kill. Our creator did not design s*x as an everyday tonic like food. It is only for childbearing. Unfortunately, man has over time sold sex as a fun/recreational activity for frequent indulgence, which is not supposed to be. So, start today in your attempt to quit self servicing. Start with a 3day target, then one week, then 2 etc. Let me know if you encounter any problems along the way. You can do it bro. Just believe.
Thank u very much!
I will do, as u said.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by t4dec(f): 10:54am On Nov 21, 2013
globalaid: Love your thread. I also suffer from depression a lot. I have come close of ending it all on two occasions. No one to talk or share idea with. Wifey does not help matter either she behave as if she doesnt care. I have being in the US for the past 4 month intially i was happy but with time the thought of going back also is making me going mad. If am still on this planet I will check here time to time but if not we will meet in the great beyond.

To cpe wit depression and d likes,visit d site www.jw.org. Dere are lots of hepfu materials nd sugestions. Dey hepd me too
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 21, 2013
Macelliot: I am 18yrs, depressed about my sex life.
I usually have unwanted erection with strong sexual urges always, which makes me to masturbate.
I hate myself whenever I masturbates. I feels tired, weak, anxious, confused, whenever I encounter the same ugly situation.
I felt hatred for sex. I don't even what to have sexual urges for now. I can't control myself.
I began an online search and I found out that some Antidepressant drugs sides' effect decreases libido.
I think that would be better, but what type of Antidepressant drug will I use?
Apart from antidepressant drugs, please, what will I do to eradicate this problem?
Thanks.

Hi dearie, how often do you ma*turbate?
Why do you hate it or feel guilty after?
How is your sexual life? I mean. With the opposite sex!

To all d depressed pple out der, one word I have for you is to focus on the positives in your life. I was thinking about the experiences I've read about here and started wondering why I've never even thought of killing myself before, despite the kinda childhood I had. I then realised it was because I always focus more on the positives in my life than the negatives. Each person's life is filled with both positives and negatives (maybe in different ratios) but what keeps you going is to know that there is someone out there that is worse than you are! Your life is a beautiful one and some other person would give the world to be 'you'!

Once again, there is always a positive! Dewll on that! Good morning!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:31am On Nov 21, 2013
Phder:

It's good to have families around, especially when things become worse. Try and find the medication or consult a pharmacist for prescription. They wouldn't sell the drugs to my sister whenever I am in the US, unless she presents a prescription note, so her husband (who happens to be a doctor) helps with the purchase; you might want to explore that option.
I went to them lastweek and they gave me painblock, stressing that we as people like giving ourself diseases we don't have, without my psychiatrist diagnose their hands are tied. I have to wait for another week for my clinic card from home for them to give me meds. Can't find the misplaced meds.
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by obi123: 11:38am On Nov 21, 2013
@ DEPRESSIONKILLS

i just want to say very well done for starting such a thread, can you see what you have done? you have given people a chance to express themselves , to express things that might have been hidden , that they might be ashamed of and by sharing their problems , someone might have had a eureka moment just reading other people's posts, there is a solution to every problem big or small.
Who would have known that so many people here who post all sorts on Nairaland daily suffer from depression

YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD OF YOURSELF, WHEN YOU ARE FEELING DOWN , JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE INDEED A STRONG PERSON AND CAN OVERCOME WHATEVER IT IS THAT IS TRYING TO OVERCOME YOU.

Enjoy the little things in life!!!!! E- HUG smiley
Re: A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders by raqueal(f): 11:56am On Nov 21, 2013
Guard your hearts, watch your thoughts, don't give in to negativity, Build friendships but don't hang your lives on it, Speak and don't bottle it in, do something you love, volunteer. If you are a christian, immerse yourself in the bible, ask God for help, rule out suicide, seek professional help, take your medication and take each day as it comes. Life will challenge you, but you are made of tougher stuff Peace

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Fake Eva Water Factory Discovered & Shut Down In Rivers State (video) / FG Confirms 10th Ebola Case In Lagos / NHS Nurse Who Offered Bible To A Cancer Patient 'rightly Sacked' says court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.