Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,118 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:04 PM

Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference (22784 Views)

2015: Oshiomhole To Vie For APC Presidential Ticket / Open Letter To Jonathan: Asari Dokubo Replies Obasanjo / PDP In Edo To Take Adams Oshiomhole To Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by Clerverly: 8:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
Edo State Governor , Adams Oshiomhole, has urged President Goodluck Jonathan to convene a national conference on youth unemployment rather than the convocation of a national dialogue, which he described, as a mere talk shop that will not solve the nation's economic problems.

Describing the proposed national dialogue as a misplaced priority, Oshiomhole said what would be more apposite with the present economic situation was for the country to hold a "conference on youth unemployment."

He spoke in an interview with journalists in Ado-Ekiti, on Wednesday evening, after a rally in commemoration of the third anniversary of the administration of Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi.

According to him, the country should place high premium on youth employment rather than wasting time on how to hold a conference that would not solve the myriad of crises bedevilling Nigeria.

Oshiomhole, who branded the conference as a frivolous exercise, urged Jonathan to rather deploy his energy towards how to make the youths more productive and competitive than convening national conference.

The governor urged the president to shelve the planned conference and convene another dialogue to discuss issues that were critical to the survival of Nigerians rather than discussing matters that could only appeal to ethnic sentiments.

He lamented that ‘too much talking’ had been the bane of the country since independence, describing this as the greatest undoing of the nation.

He said: “As for the issue of national conference, I have always mentioned that the problem of Nigeria is not talking; our problem is that we talk too much and no nation has attained greatness through too much talking.

“When people say let us dialogue, which dialogue? What I want is a national dialogue on unemployment. I mean, how to get our young people back to work.
“I want a national conference on how we can prohibit importation of some goods and ensure that Nigerians consume made in Nigeria products.

"I want a national conference on how we can revive the Ikeja industrial base, the Apapa industrial base, the Isolo industries, the Bompai and Sharandi industries in Kano, how Aba and Delta textiles can be revived.

“You know the whole industries in Kano produced me. Our founding fathers, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe and Alhaji Ahmadu Bello, competed on the basis of who was producing jobs, who could add values to lives; so this should be the kind of conference Nigeria should think of.”

Oshiomhole urged the federal government to deploy the larger parts of the country’s resources to tackle poverty among the populace and stop wasting time on frivolities.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/oshiomhole-to-jonathan-forget-about-national-conference/161967/

24 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by sesanrota(m): 9:37pm On Oct 18, 2013
Good Point by the comrade Governor himself, its high time the presidency realizes they are most Nigerian youth are graduating each year with little or no Job....its a time bomb.

13 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by braine(m): 9:43pm On Oct 18, 2013
Most of us know that already• Uncle Goodluck just wants to waste our time and resources on a dialougue that's not needed• As if he's doesn't know what to be done• angry

9 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 18, 2013
sesanrota: Good Point by the comrade Governor himself, its high time the presidency realizes they are most Nigerian youth are graduating each year with little or no Job....its a time bomb.
What re they graduating out of school for...
So if d govt doesn't give d graduates job they re useless,
Let they try other options like entrepreneurship...
I am not up to 35, but I am a self made millionaire, I am proud to be my own boss. And I think u shud do d same...
All dz jobs question is really annoying.

28 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by ULSHERLAN(m): 10:19pm On Oct 18, 2013
More or less like APC Vs PDP. I never expected the opposition to find anything meaningful though even if the SNC was of good interest. Opposition would always be opposing and backing their claims with points. This is politics and politics they say is a dirty game

25 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by sesanrota(m): 10:21pm On Oct 18, 2013
lygn19:
What re they graduating out of school for...
So if d govt doesn't give d graduates job they re useless,
Let they try other options like entrepreneurship...
I am not up to 35, but I am a self made millionaire, I am proud to be my own boss. And I think u shud do d same...
All dz jobs question is really annoying.

You don't know me and am not speaking for myself alone...
Everybody can't be an entrepreneur as it will choked up the system and are you telling me is every entrepreneur that is successful?
why do we have different trades and disciplines....
The fact is Govt isn't doing enough and the population is increasing daily and instead of thinking aggressively towards this direction, the reverse is the case, the comrade is only trying to let the Government know where needs to be prioritized for now instead of frivolous spending

66 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 18, 2013
sesanrota:

You don't know me and am not speaking for myself alone...
Everybody can't be an entrepreneur as it will choked up the system and are you telling me is every entrepreneur that is successful?
why do we have different trades and disciplines....
The fact is Govt isn't doing enough and the population is increasing daily and instead of thinking aggressively towards this direction, the reverse is the case, the comrade is only trying to let the Government know where needs to be prioritized for now instead of frivolous spending
The Nigerian system we have been practising aint right at all, that's y I believe that der shud be a national conference.
Reason y I am in support of dz conference is because of some injustices. In one of d area where I do business they have dz attitude whereby, its only non-indegenes who pay tax, because of dz der unnecessary tax and levies, it makes competition hard for me because, sm of the ppl am competing with that don't pay tax easily reduce there price and dz poses as a problem to me.
I want them to know d difference between a citizen and an indegene and d rights we re entitled to.

12 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 18, 2013
Oshiomole, that's just your lame opinion, my opinion is different from yours. I need SNC.

Oshiomole ought to know at his age that employment generation is principally private sector driven and Government can only create an atmosphere that promotes employment generation and not be seen carrying baggage of employment and saddled with recurring expenses from non-productive workforce.

I still believe that Oshiomole is not just ugly, he is getting sillier as other APC mosquitoes.

66 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 18, 2013
Billyonaire: Oshiomole, that's just your lame opinion, my opinion is different from yours. I need SNC.

Oshiomole ought to know at his age that employment generation is principally private sector driven and Government can only create an atmosphere that promotes employment generation and not be seen carrying baggage of employment and saddled with recurring expenses from non-productive workforce.

I still believe that Oshiomole is not just ugly, he is getting sillier as other APC mosquitoes.
My guy thank You.

19 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by Pukkah: 11:12pm On Oct 18, 2013
Billyonaire: Government can only create an atmosphere that promotes employment generation and not be seen carrying baggage of employment and saddled with recurring expenses from non-productive workforce.

Has government created that environment?

Yes or no?

15 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by luvinhubby(m): 11:18pm On Oct 18, 2013
Oshiomhole is talking like a typical Nigerian politician that he has been. If youth unemployment is his headache, let him bring it as an agenda to the conference, saying that Nigeria does not need to discuss how we have to live together if we have to, and move forward as a country, what responsibilities and benefits belongs to anybody, if any at all, who should be living at whose expense and what belongs to who should not be discussed in Nigeria is an irresponsible vocal excretion by Adams.
WE NIGERIANS NEED TO TALK AND THAT, NOW !

23 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by talk2s(m): 11:30pm On Oct 18, 2013
Oshiomhole, what employment are you creating in Edo state? Why do you continue to sell this 'dummy' that GOVERNMENT MUST CRATE JOBS (QED)?
The National Conference that is long overdue is what you and other classmates of your are objecting to.
It's becoming clearer and more obvious that your disapproval is not because of the necessity of the Conference, but of something else.
Maybe you don't think GEJ should be the one putting up the dialogue opportunity.
Accept my sympathy, you and your colleagues.

13 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by Segadem(m): 12:03am On Oct 19, 2013
Glory Be To God.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by LordNicvuitton(m): 12:04am On Oct 19, 2013
I read a post above where some one implied that oshiomole should present his own case of youth unemployment to d SNC n I fink it's spot on.. These ridiculous APC goons r becoming weirder thru their words n actions. Nigeria needs 2 discuss and decide if 2 stick together or simply disintegrate. a country where citizens r deported cos they're nat indegenes, a country where tribalism and nepotism is practised in all sectors (education inclusive), a country where foreigners r favourably given beta jobs/wages as against their nigerian counterparts, a country where d opressors that killed my fore fathers in d un civil war, still dare me to do some thing abt it, a country that i'm sincere to , but she's nat sincere wit me, why should i keep pretending we are one?.. let all regions decide wat they want and only then can there be true federalism.. LONG LIVE THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF..... Wat EVa! cry

28 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by Idrismusty97(m): 12:08am On Oct 19, 2013
None of my business. by the way,who get big mouth charger for nokia?

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by JMOI: 12:08am On Oct 19, 2013
All this long grammar can be summarised in one sentence: Oshiomole is a pure sadist.

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by obailala(m): 12:15am On Oct 19, 2013
I have asked this same question countless times... What is this whole sovereign national conference all about??... it doesn't take much more than common sense to know that an SNC will simply end in a brawl.. and afterwards, a committee will be set-up to review the findings of the SNC committee indefinitely

I think all GEJ needs to do is to arrest and lock up some top shots for corruption and that will automatically instill fear in other leaders... Nigeria simply needs to nip impunity in the bud and everything else will fly on autopilot

10 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by kloe121(f): 12:16am On Oct 19, 2013
Action speaks louder than words,how does this national conference affect ASUU strike?

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by PapaBrowne(m): 12:18am On Oct 19, 2013
Oshiomole is my Governor and I respect his efforts at road construction in Edo State.

But I am here wondering why he hasn't set up his own conference on youth unemployment. Edo State is riddled with a massive amount of unemployed youth doing little or nothing despite the fact that the state is blessed with so much potential in various areas.

Edo State has about the highest amount of Nigerians in Diaspora per capita in Nigeria.
Oshiomole should be holding/organizing in Milan, Frankfurt, Atlanta, Montreal, London, Houston and the other cities populated by Edo globally to see how they can come back home and set up factories that would employ the teeming youth.

Oshiomole should be organizing to see how the huge agricultural opportunities in his state are harnessed to create jobs for the huge swaths of unemployed.

Oshiomole should be organizing to see how IT hubs could be started in Benin City so the youths can replace their crave for yahoo yahoo and replace it with a crave for coding/programming.

Oshiomole should focus on his own enclave and allow other people work on theirs. The way he spoke you'll think the unemployment rate in Edo state is amongst the best in the world. Edo has so much competitive advantage with regards to economic development that havent been harnessed.

38 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by prov1029(m): 12:19am On Oct 19, 2013
Jonathan is laying ground work for 2015. Politicians are early strategizers. This is what happens when a man has no plan

6 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by checkdate(m): 12:20am On Oct 19, 2013
OK
Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by 9jahubcom(m): 12:21am On Oct 19, 2013
sesanrota: Good Point by the comrade Governor himself, its high time the presidency realizes they are most Nigerian youth are graduating each year with little or no Job....its a time bomb.
better self

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by Iceman296: 12:22am On Oct 19, 2013
..Wont the Youth unemployment Ish Not Be Addressed In the SNC?

I am Really Suprised At Oshiomole's Comment, The APC Has Turned him to a Visionless Politician!

SNC is Long Overdue.

6 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by Nobody: 12:27am On Oct 19, 2013
According to Oshiomole, "our problem is not talking. Our problem is that we talk too much"...........so far wat has Jonathan said publicly about ASUU strike??
Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by BANKS4U2NV: 12:29am On Oct 19, 2013
Shey una get Nairaland Alert?chiooooo .mehn most people don't sleep at all ⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣ to ASUU.
Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by BANKS4U2NV: 12:31am On Oct 19, 2013
Shey una get Nairaland Alert?chiooooo .mehn most people don't sleep at all ⌣ »̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣ to ASUU.Nice one Comrade kiss kiss
Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by Uyi168: 12:39am On Oct 19, 2013
Must i comment?jux asking tho....,
Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by jiggalone(m): 12:47am On Oct 19, 2013
jst passin...xcuse...xcuse...ah tnx!
Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by chukwumafabian(m): 12:50am On Oct 19, 2013
Talk is cheap,how many jobs has oshiomole created in edo state n how many industries has he built? Or u tink job creation is d exclusive duty of d d fedral govt. Mtewwwwww

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by Tunmich: 12:53am On Oct 19, 2013
Where is the report of cttee on subsidy removal. Cttee here cttee there without any + outcome. May God help naija o

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 19, 2013
Mtcheew! How i wish this post above will change the fact that the guy that repaired my computer, didn't backup my numerous files before formating it.
Re: Oshiomhole To Jonathan: Forget About National Conference by priscasmart(f): 1:07am On Oct 19, 2013
The National Confab isn't such a bad idea

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Sold His Personal Property To Send His Chilren To School / Osinbajo, Sanwo-Olu, Ambode At The Lagos State University Convocation Today / Bayelsa Election Tribunal Ruling : Seriake Dickson Urges For Calm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.