Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,445 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking (11175 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis / ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by smileoly(f): 4:14pm On Oct 21, 2013
if nigerian students sentiments and FG succeed in stifling ASUU. In 10yrs tym,nobody will attend fed uni again cos it will be highly dilapitated
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by smileoly(f): 4:19pm On Oct 21, 2013
donphilopus: Enough Is Enough na, why are they doing this na?? I don't like this na, they should try and suspend the strike and continue with their Negotiation

Then by 2020,d negotiations will still be going on
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by smileoly(f): 4:24pm On Oct 21, 2013
Iaz93: I don tire sef!! angry undecided
No tire eh. U will 1 day tell your children that it was the ASUU strike during your days that brought about the changes they will be seeing then
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by donphilopus: 4:29pm On Oct 21, 2013
smileoly:
Then by 2020,d negotiations will still be going on
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Nobody: 4:34pm On Oct 21, 2013
My Take:
Government should honour agreement. How can anyone believe and trust a governmen that doesnt honour and respect agreement and contract. Another sign of a society that is going down the toilet.
Secondly, is govenment honestly sayiging there is no money to be used in honouring agreement made with ASUU.

It always beggers belief when the government keeps external reserve and Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF) whereas there are more important social proiorities for which such fund is needed.

No infrasturcure, no roads, no hospitals and schools and you are keeping external reserve and SWF. it is like a man without a house, shoes, books water, medicine and food having a lot of cash savings in his bank account. That is is pure stupidity!
Last time I heard the president, he said IMF, world bank and such multilateral financial institutions approve of SWF and external reserve. From History, a clear sign that a country's macro-economic policies are utterly flawed is when IMF and World Bank agree with such policies.

with wrong culture and wrong leadership, it looks like Nigeria is on a downward spirral and only God can save the country. A country without a comprehensive plan for it's youth and next generation has no future. It is so sad really. I was in Nigeria last week and my heart popped at seeing youths wasting away, some begging at the airports and young university girls in Abuja hotels loitering around, largely because there is nothing to do because schools are on strike. Do our politicians have concience? I dont know.
God have mercy!
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Sholy29ice: 4:36pm On Oct 21, 2013
PLS IN GOD NAME HELP A FELLOW
NAIRALANDER.
PLS AM IN NID OF UR VOTE.... THEY
ARE LEADING ME IN VOTE.
Pls i nid your nid your
assistance....i nid
u to vote for my SAMSUNG
1000WORDS ARTICLE..... ON "A DAY
IN
LIFE WITHOUT TECHNOLOGY
"....PLS
KINDLY FOLLOW DIS LINK TO VOTE
FOR OLUMODEJI SHOLA.....PLS
HELP A
FRIEND..... .PLS SHARE IT TO UR
FRIENDS ON WATSAPP,FACEBOOK
PAGE ND GROUPS, BBM,BLOG AND
ANY SOCIAL MEDIA NETWORK..
TNX U...
HOW TO VOTE
1)A VALID EMAIL (email u can
remember d username nd pass
words )
2)YOUR NAME
3)PHONE NUMBER
4)A MAIL WILL BE SENT TO D
EMAIL YOU USED FOR VOTING.. SO
THAT YOU CAN ACTIVATE YOUR
VOTE.
www.samsungmobileng.com/galaxytab3/samsung1000words/
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by onyxo76(m): 4:37pm On Oct 21, 2013
i was a witness to the rally organized by ASUU OAU branch which took place this morning in ile-ife. i had a chance to listen to prof olorode -a one time JACON member. he mentioned something that you all condemn this strike should think about. whether you like it or not,the govt is looking for ways to privatize tertiary education just the way primary and secondary education has become presently .
you may not realize it,but the decay and rot has become something else, students live and study under terrible conditions yet FG doesn't care.
why does cambridge uvi budget $2.3 billion for 2013 and FG plans to spend a miserable $2.1 billion for 39 fed uni, fed polys, unity schools for 2013. currently we allocate 8.5% to education when its meant to be 26%-UNESCO. i am not a lecturer but work in the system as a non academic, its just unfortunate that ASUU had to take these measures to press home its demands . we only hope the govt honors what it signed in 2009 after all they were not cajoled to sign the agreement. to buy 2 bullet proof vehicles at 255 million naira or increase lawmakers allowances happens easily but to improve our education sector is a very big deal.

1 Like

Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by smileoly(f): 4:49pm On Oct 21, 2013
I heard that the strike is only affecting the teaching capacity of their job. Am a PG student&since dis strike commenced in june,i &all my classmates hv been well supervised by our lecturers,work is goin on in our labs nd dy r readin&editing our write-ups
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Boll2010: 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2013
Sunny_bobo: This people are obviously living in the stone age. Here in the UK, you don't get paid for any hour you are on strike.
cuz uk aint rich......the country depends on tax......so I dnt see dem payn
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 21, 2013
Uncle joe, please END this strike problem in the shortest possible TIME so that the unwholesome THINGS happening around us will stop... biko naa
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by viktuur(m): 5:27pm On Oct 21, 2013
Hmm 70% of them are just THEORETICAL lrepeaters,- We have the 1st prof of Agriculture in africa= yet we cant produce seedless watermelon
1st prof of Chemical engineering= Nothing to show, No malaria drug ordinary Dogoyaro hasnt being processed into drugs, Ordinary Herbal 'prof' self they produce something. They must be productive!
Same lecture notes used in 1980s are still in use, How many of them have transcripted their notes to soft copies to distribute to students via emails?
Every year 'SMALL" monies are sent to schools for maintanance who they chop am? is it ZERO allocation that UNIVERSITIES GET?
Ok ASUU want 800billion FG is offering 400billion, start with that one is it in one year that ASUU will finish 800billion.
I don tired for this thing o
FG 'Semi PRIVATISE" the Universities Joo, Handover Management to others, ANY STUDENT That get over 200 in Jamb and get admitted, FG automatically pays the school fees. After all FG claims to spend N250,000/student excluding salaries.

Demdem: Kudos to ASUU. am really proud of them.
They shouldnt bother themselves with the no work no pay shyte.
Govt will still pay them and the years of allownaces being owned them not yet paid.
Those that were not paid for years in Unilorin were eventually paid in a day making them multi-millionaires even though they were teaching in other Unis.
No work no pay no matter how honourable it is isnt the solution, the solution is the implementation of signed agreement. its honourable on the part of govt to honour her part of the agreement and let ASUU also honor hers
A labourer is entitled to his wage. let Govt Pay ASUU what is being owned them in allowances over the years and see ASUU get back to classes. Failure to do that, i dont expect them in there.
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Demdem(m): 5:46pm On Oct 21, 2013
onyxo76: i was a witness to the rally organized by ASUU OAU branch which took place this morning in ile-ife. i had a chance to listen to prof olorode -a one time JACON member. he mentioned something that you all condemn this strike should think about. whether you like it or not,the govt is looking for ways to privatize tertiary education just the way primary and secondary education has become presently .
you may not realize it,but the decay and rot has become something else, students live and study under terrible conditions yet FG doesn't care.
why does cambridge uvi budget $2.3 billion for 2013 and FG plans to spend a miserable $2.1 billion for 39 fed uni, fed polys, unity schools for 2013. currently we allocate 8.5% to education when its meant to be 26%-UNESCO. i am not a lecturer but work in the system as a non academic, its just unfortunate that ASUU had to take these measures to press home its demands . we only hope the govt honors what it signed in 2009 after all they were not cajoled to sign the agreement. to buy 2 bullet proof vehicles at 255 million naira or increase lawmakers allowances happens easily but to improve our education sector is a very big deal.

8.5% to education is simply too meagre. Our starting point should be 20%.
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by nas00(m): 6:59pm On Oct 21, 2013
I sincerely do not expect no work no pay to be an issue for ASUU.

Firstly, they did not work. Naturally, they should not be paid for such periods.

Like ASUU has explained often, I believe they (ASUU) are fighting for a honourable cause. If it means no work no pay for some months until the FG bows to their demands, ASUU should take it as a necessary sacrifice on their own part towards the sustenance of quality education in nigeria.
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 21, 2013
Demdem: Kudos to ASUU. am really proud of them.
They shouldnt bother themselves with the no work no pay shyte.
Govt will still pay them and the years of allownaces being owned them not yet paid.
Those that were not paid for years in Unilorin were eventually paid in a day making them multi-millionaires even though they were teaching in other Unis.
No work no pay no matter how honourable it is isnt the solution, the solution is the implementation of signed agreement. its honourable on the part of govt to honour her part of the agreement and let ASUU also honor hers
A labourer is entitled to his wage. let Govt Pay ASUU what is being owned them in allowances over the years and see ASUU get back to classes. Failure to do that, i dont expect them in there.
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 21, 2013
Actually....It would gladden my soul if they were given 'mass lay off', like they did with striking federal Doctors years back! Heartless and hypocritical lots.

Affairs of the students indeed!
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Forester45(m): 7:59pm On Oct 21, 2013
Idi Amin: I had wanted to rebuke you but a second look at your last paragraph stopped me. Those foools need to go back to job market. Only then will they realize the effect of their stupidity and selfishness on the future leaders of Nigeria. They don't work but they expect salaries. Idiioots undecided
keep blaming ASUU and live the irresponsible gov dat will not honor agreement they signed.
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Hearme(m): 9:19pm On Oct 21, 2013
Promhize: God punish this idiots. I was almost supporting them but on a second thought, this guys are greedy old men, destroying students lives with no sense of regret.

Why can't they just sue the FG since it was an agreement, wait let me guess, they don't want to spend their money, but they can waste students lives without twitching an eye.
We always blame FG, but these lecturers are as worse as the politicians themselves, I can bet that over 40% (esp Professors, Dr) are not in Nigeria as we are speaking, we complain that our politicians children aren't schooling in Nigeria but these greedy men are not different, even the son of Ondo state's deputy governor schools at OAU - tell me why he would want to send any of his child to FG universities later.

I just don't understand, this idiots are fighting for their pockets - for bigger offices, ac fitted - not students. I school in OAU and I'm not complaining, in-fact, no student is complaining. OAU increased Acceptance fee from 2000naira to 20,000naira, a whooping 1000% increase, when we students protested they advised us to stop and called us all sorts.

No lecturer supported students. For Pre-degree programme, the fee is over 150thousand naira, to write post utme, you'd have to pay over 3000naira, to check you'd have to pay over 3000naira, pls where do you think all these money is going to. Its not like we are given free food or learning materials.

This lecturers sit in AC tight offices, travel anyhow even during school semesters all in the name of research, the same lecturers fighting for students will come back from trips in the middle of semesters and give students only course outline and ask us to go learn ourselves.

Same lecturers demanded more than once that their retirement age be extended when millions of graduates are out of work. They want allowance because they are teaching more than 1 course, these same men and women of no reputable standard went to school on scholarship, with free food, books, and so on.

Damn ASUU and their sympathisers. They sit in AC tight offices with numerous gadgets when ordinary ceiling fans in students room aren't working.

They collect hundreds of millions in different fees but must new classrooms in OAU are built by Private companies and individuals such as first bank.

BSc 2004; MSc 2007; PhD 2012. Did this qualifications not suffer ASUU Strike, is this fellow also an old fool, did this fellow enjoy automatic work after graduation, Do you think this fellow was sponsored by government. Can you spend 2-3million on a PhD research? (no be car you go first go buy)? Is it not wise for government to retain a talent like this before he moves to Ghana, Tanzania, Botswana, US and other European countries in search for good living and working conditions

. Who should be patriotic, is it the person who struggled to attain this educational height with his money or the person who sends his children to the UK with commonwealth scholarships because he or she is in power? Think well before you talk. A worker is worthy of his wages (arrears from July 2009-to date Oct 2013).
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by pacido: 9:48pm On Oct 21, 2013
Am really fed up with this ASUU nonsense. The ASUU president is not even affected by the no work no pay action of the FG,after all his political mentor and the governor of kano state whose interest he is protecting by keeping our children @ home just for d sake of scoring cheap political points is there to oil his pocket. I just pity the southern university lecturers who are in solidarity with them bc northerners are never serious when it comes to education and from the day the kano state man emerged as ASUU president I knew there was going to be problems
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 21, 2013
Why isn't ASUU asking for privatization of Universities? After all, the 'world class standard' they say they want to achieve is the standard of the Ivy Towers in the US and Europe. Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton, Johns Hopkins, Stanford, etc are all Private Institutions. A private University would be fully committed to acquiring state of the art facilities since they want to ensure patronage and subsequent profit. I'm sure some of the private schools in Nigeria are well stocked out, has anyone cared to compare their products with graduates of Public Schools? Just so we know what needs to be emulated. Anyway, Harvard is expensive. Even America, in all its glory, cannot afford to send all its students to Harvard-type schools for 'almost free' in comparison to the true worth. When proffering solutions, we should ensure sustainability over long periods of time. Crude Oil is not cultivated season in and out, when the wells are dry what wealth will keep up the policies we make today?

The world over, Public schools (Govt funded schools) typically aren't comparable with Private schools in terms of infrastructure. Not only because Govt needs to deal with a long list of issues and shifting priorities, but because funds for Govt institutions are often mismanaged and the facilities aren't maintained properly by custodians. It's no-man's-land.

If the federal Government were to relinquish control of Universities to private ownership: the facilities would be better maintained, the fees would be crazy but that's the quality you bargained for. Moreover, it's a sustainable solution because it's capitalist. Government petroleum trust funds (such as PTDF) can then save the billions spent on dubious university upgrade schemes and, instead, give scholarship to deserving students. Of course, there still would be the state owned Universities to absorb students who cannot afford the alternative. Since each state typically has one or two Universities, a small focus like that makes neglect less likely (as is already evident in our situation).

Assuming ASUU's intentions are honorable, which at this point is highly in doubt, they ought to rethink strategy.

Unfortunately, our heavily flawed constitution supports this criminal waste of resources: where thousands are going to get paid for doing zero work over four months! what's the incentive for going back to work then? Who wants to stress over something that can be had for free, they would rather put their energy to their private enterprise and optimize their 'earning' potential. Do the law makers even know the ramifications of equating zero productivity to X Naira? what's the value of the Naira then? There is so much emphasis on this 'agreement' that was entered into free of duress. When Lecturers embark on an indefinite strike until their list of demands are met, when students are sitting at home indefinitely and the Govt 'caves' to sign a document promising to commit to said demands with the motive of ending the strike, then there was duress. That agreement was signed due to strike action.

Notwithstanding, our obligation should be towards national interest and this hullabaloo has become counter productive bordering on treason. ASUU obviously has all the constitutional power in our system of ' faux democracy' - striking at any discomfort with the added incentive of 'paid leave', dictating demands and insisting they should be met at the penalty of shutting down the sector. It's do or be damned and that's an element of a dictatorship. If the Government cannot fund the Universities to the 'required' standard and a middle ground is not possible, why not urge privatization and be done with this hassle?
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by jonuel1(m): 10:01pm On Oct 21, 2013
Make una abuse lecturers small small nah cus this 'no work no pay rule' follow affect ♍ε̲̣̣ o! But thank God Fø̲̣̣я̅ His mercies aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ other sources of income #teammultiplestreamsofincom#
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Danmas: 10:12pm On Oct 21, 2013
Agreement is agreement. FG should honour it as its very feasible considering our economic stance. Its only in Nig. that cost of running govt. is neva an issue, while paying the masses benefit is always a problem. If the FG wants to cut cost or manage resources, they should start by shading weights in cost of governance and also takle corruption. I am a final yr student, but i thnk its better for ASUU to fight until they acheive ther aim.
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Danmas: 10:36pm On Oct 21, 2013
PeeDaVinci: afaik, No Work No Pay Rule is the rule in the western countries, so, i guess they are barbaric. imo, you should only be paid for the number of days you work. i am aware that this gives the govt some undue privileges, but i believe fair is fair, you dont work, you dont eat.
the fight to save the university should not be fought in collaboration with all the stakeholders in university education- students, nasu, parents, even industries. and in case they are not really willing to be part of the fight, there are ways that ASUU can use to force them to join in this fight without going on strike "technically" e.g. delaying exams indefinitely because of some course modules that can not be taught given the current funding, not releasing exam results, slowing down the curriculum, giving students assignments that cant be solve because of university funding, not graduating students etc.
a no see sence, abeg say somtng na?
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Danmas: 10:36pm On Oct 21, 2013
PeeDaVinci: afaik, No Work No Pay Rule is the rule in the western countries, so, i guess they are barbaric. imo, you should only be paid for the number of days you work. i am aware that this gives the govt some undue privileges, but i believe fair is fair, you dont work, you dont eat.
the fight to save the university should not be fought in collaboration with all the stakeholders in university education- students, nasu, parents, even industries. and in case they are not really willing to be part of the fight, there are ways that ASUU can use to force them to join in this fight without going on strike "technically" e.g. delaying exams indefinitely because of some course modules that can not be taught given the current funding, not releasing exam results, slowing down the curriculum, giving students assignments that cant be solve because of university funding, not graduating students etc.
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by isoboyea(m): 1:05am On Oct 22, 2013
The guy has mentioned sme gud points,in life agreement is agreement honour it and people respect you for that.
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by thonyokun(m): 3:42am On Oct 22, 2013
The fact still remains that nigerians always shy away from the truth, stop criticising president Jonathan for any reason. If u think it's easy to rule over a hundred million people go n join a political party but a ticket and contest for a post then u will understand me better. Don't forget that jonathan was one of the best governors in his own time. Do u expect him 2perform magic overnight in a country that has been eaten deep by corruption for over 30 yrs? Please let's be reasonable, if ASUU refuses to go back to work I don't think they should expect payment. If they're tired of the job let them resign. We have millions of jobless graduates out there. Thanks.°˚˚˚°°˚˚˚°
GD ♍ƦϞĭήǤ
°˚˚˚°°˚˚˚°
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Gbenge77(m): 4:59am On Oct 22, 2013
Idoko solomon: ASUU should know that they are suffering students of public Universities.They should have a rethink for the seek of Nigeria students.
for the seek?
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Sakes: 2:18pm On Oct 22, 2013
wesley80:
You know there's a problem when savages are accusing others of barbarism! Intellectuals indeed.

Apparently.....
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by jeffoe(m): 2:39pm On Oct 22, 2013
Idi Amin: I had wanted to rebuke you but a second look at your last paragraph stopped me. Those foools need to go back to job market. Only then will they realize the effect of their stupidity and selfishness on the future leaders of Nigeria. They don't work but they expect salaries. Idiioots undecided
lecturers are being paid not only because they lecture only there salary also covers research and community work which most still do mind you am also a student
Re: ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking by Sakes: 2:58pm On Oct 22, 2013
the views here tend to appear anything other than constrictive. apparently, it can't be otherwise, as majority are possibly students(the victims ).the issue requires constructive appreciation, solution not complaints. This is my view: the problem is the government, :lecturer's incompetence sprouts from the frustration they feel from govt apathy.Many research recommendations are hardly utilized by govt. Education in this nation's just a ceremony. this is the existing reality. If they resolve to fight for change. that's good. let them adopt any means necessary. this require sacrifice... their salary may be the compromise as the govt should suffer. more. Students should more be interested in ensuring these sacrifice s are worth the risk. this should partain to where it concerns us. the infrastructure. how will the fund be utilized. the lecturers can bid their interest in so far that of students is not jeopardised. otherwise, the major problem is yet to come . we should the corrupt govt wrestle its workers to our advantage & fight when that benefit is less assured. Here,we should bid our opportunity. this is the only possoble way the fight will come.we should not be apathetic or meddlesome. there will be time enough for these grudges to explode....that is our watch....and loins.we shall be ready for the ed stampede.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Will Make Chima Igwe's PhD Scandal Report Public - ICPC / Nnpc/chevron 2011/2012 Undergraduate Scholarship For Nigerians / Ambrose Ali University Aspirant(aau) Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.