Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,980 members, 7,835,277 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? (5338 Views)

Every Church-Goer Is Automatically A Child Of God. How True Is This Statement? / Awesome God, How Great Thou Art: / Do Any Atheists Argue That Atheism Is Science? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by NoProphecy: 4:28pm On Oct 26, 2013
MEILYN: how does this answer the op?
It shows that the Moses character was a brutal, murderous, immoral, savage tyrant. The meeting with a "god" was just a lie to provide justification for his sick, evil deeds. Did these savages wear belt buckles that said "Gott Mitt Uns?"
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by MEILYN(m): 4:59pm On Oct 26, 2013
NoProphecy:
It shows that the Moses character was a brutal, murderous, immoral, savage tyrant. The meeting with a "god" was just a lie to provide justification for his sick, evil deeds. Did these savages wear belt buckles that said "Gott Mitt Uns?"
lmao. Ona don scatter my thread...
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by Ndipe(m): 11:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
I think it was Jesus Christ prior to His Incarnation.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by Nobody: 1:22am On Nov 02, 2013
MEILYN: Today someone and i were talking, she started making much emphasis that Moses saw God Face to Face, she also gave me a Bible verse.

"Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel: And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness." (Exodus 24:9-10).

"And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink." (Exodus 24:11).

Here we see that Moses and others saw God with their own eyes.

But later, Moses was not allowed to see God's face.

"And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy." (Exodus 33:18-19).

"And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:" (Exodus 33:20-21).

"And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen." (Exodus 33:22-23).

And this says it all.

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him." (John 1:18).

I showed her those verses but she kept arguing. Can someone elaborate on this please?. Tanks in advance.

When people are told that the word God doesnt always refer to the almighty, they argue it. In the past when angels came send a message, the faithful men of old refer to them as God or Jehovah. why? because they represented the almighty God.

We can also say that some who saw these angels never knew they were angels. they thought they saw God almighty.

So what Moses and others saw was representatives of God, angels. No human eyes have ever seen the Almighty God before.

2 Likes

Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by macof(m): 11:09am On Nov 02, 2013
JMAN05:

When people are told that the word God doesnt always refer to the almighty, they argue it. In the past when angels came send a message, the faithful men of old refer to them as God or Jehovah. why? because they represented the almighty God.

We can also say that some who saw these angels never knew they were angels. they thought they saw God almighty.

So what Moses and others saw was representatives of God, angels. No human eyes have ever seen the Almighty God before.

So the men who claimed to see God in the Bible are liars?
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 03, 2013
macof:

So the men who claimed to see God in the Bible are liars?

Read the comment very well.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by Boss13: 4:42pm On Nov 03, 2013
Goshen360: Today we keep bastardizing scriptures without careful investigation\study and allow the Holy Spirit to help our understand and\or interpretation. How do we treat scriptures that looks contradictory? One thing I know is, scriptures don't contradict themselves except for the fact that we are too lazy to study\investigate to allow perfect interpretations. Now, read this,

King James Bible
And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy. And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. Exodus 33:18-20

Question: What did Moses asked to see?
Answer: God's GLORY

Question: What did God said Moses cannot see?
Answer: God's FACE

What is the interpretation?
God's glory if seen or experience is as though God's face is seen. We need to begin to pay careful attention to details and context plus follow conversation in our study.

Otherwise, God Himself will be lying and these scriptures will also be lying - John 1:18, John 6:46. Moses never saw God face-to-face though the expression is literal but it was God's glory seen as though God's face seen demonstrated through the 'angel of God's presence' (Isaiah 63:9). When he, Moses received the law, it was God speaking face-to-face with him via His glory through the angel of God's presence.

New Living Translation
Why, then, was the law given? It was given alongside the promise to show people their sins. But the law was designed to last only until the coming of the child who was promised. God gave his law through angels to Moses, who was the mediator between God and the people. Galatians 3:19

Stop reading to please yourself. This is a book written a thousand years ago.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by khowman(m): 10:10pm On Dec 24, 2013
MEILYN: Today someone and i were talking, she started making much emphasis that Moses saw God Face to Face, she also gave me a Bible verse.

"Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel: And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness." (Exodus 24:9-10).

"And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink." (Exodus 24:11).

Here we see that Moses and others saw God with their own eyes.

But later, Moses was not allowed to see God's face.

"And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy." (Exodus 33:18-19).

"And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:" (Exodus 33:20-21).

"And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen." (Exodus 33:22-23).

And this says it all.

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him." (John 1:18).

I showed her those verses but she kept arguing. Can someone elaborate on this please?. Tanks in advance.
According to the Quran (the islam's book) the Moses insist to see Allah (God) Allah said you can't see me the power you have been giver is not enough to see me, but Moses still insisted the Allah (God ) say to Moses to look at hill of toor, Allah (God) apeared a smallest of his light on hill the hill started distorying by the power of light (jalwa) Moses become frightend and become unconcious.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by macof(m): 11:18pm On Dec 24, 2013
khowman:
According to the Quran (the islam's book) the Moses insist to see Allah (God) Allah said you can't see me the power you have been giver is not enough to see me, but Moses still insisted the Allah (God ) say to Moses to look at hill of toor, Allah (God) apeared a smallest of his light on hill the hill started distorying by the power of light (jalwa) Moses become frightend and become unconcious.

Sweet fairy tales grin
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by MEILYN(m): 8:23am On Dec 25, 2013
macof:

Sweet fairy tales grin
Hahaha. grin
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by oyeludef(m): 8:49am On Dec 25, 2013
MEILYN: is John 1:18 wrong?
didnt adam see God or wasnt he a man? av u tried reading d whole chaptr instead of quotin a verse out of context?
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by MEILYN(m): 9:00am On Dec 25, 2013
oyelude f: didnt adam see God or wasnt he a man? av u tried reading d whole chaptr instead of quotin a verse out of context?
This is what i dislike about Christians. Why dont you bring the whole chapter here and explain it to us in context?

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him." (John 1:18). i wonder what is out of context here.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by oyeludef(m): 9:19am On Dec 25, 2013
MEILYN: This is what i dislike about Christians. Why dont you bring the whole chapter here and explain it to us in context?

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him." (John 1:18). i wonder what is out of context here.
you already sound silly. is it logical to you to extract jst a sentence out of even a paragraph to get a reasonable conclusion?
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by MEILYN(m): 9:36am On Dec 25, 2013
oyelude f: you already sound silly. is it logical to you to extract jst a sentence out of even a paragraph to get a reasonable conclusion?
Okay bro. Get all the chapter and give us the reasonable conclusion. Thats all i ask. Give us the reasonable conclusion.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by oyeludef(m): 9:44am On Dec 25, 2013
MEILYN: Okay bro. Get the all the chapter and give us the reasonable conclusion. Thats all i ask. Give us the reasonable conclusion.
ok. ill do dat b4 d end of today. i cant lay my hands on my bible n commentaries right now. but on dis thread alone there r more premises dat supports d conclusion dat people saw him rather dan against.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by MEILYN(m): 10:45am On Dec 25, 2013
oyelude f: ok. ill do dat b4 d end of today. i cant lay my hands on my bible n commentaries right now. but on dis thread alone there r more premises dat supports d conclusion dat people saw him rather dan against.
Hmmmm. What a world. grin
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by oyeludef(m): 11:39am On Dec 25, 2013
read , digest nd try to get d message being passed. [b12 But some people did accept
him. They believed in him, and
he gave them the right to
become children of God. 13 They
became God’s children, but not
in the way babies are usually
born. It was not because of any
human desire or plan. They were
born from God himself.
14 The Word became a man and
lived among us. We saw his
divine greatness—the greatness
that belongs to the only Son of
the Father. The Word was full of
grace and truth. 15 John told
people about him. He said loudly,
“This is the one I was talking
about when I said, ‘The one who
is coming after me is greater
than I am, because he was living
before I was even born.’”
16 Yes, the Word was full of
grace and truth, and from him
we all received one blessing after
another. [d] 17 That is, the law
was given to us through Moses,
but grace and truth came
through Jesus Christ. 18 No one
has ever seen God. The only Son
is the one who has shown us
what God is like. He is himself
God and is very close to the
Father. [e][/b] BTW dis is EASY TO READ VERSION usualy given to new converts during reinhard bonke's crusade.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by oyeludef(m): 11:40am On Dec 25, 2013
read , digest nd try to get d message being passed. [b]b12 But some people did accept
born from God himself.
but grace and truth came
Father. [e][/b] BTW dis is EASY TO READ VERSION usualy given to new converts during reinhard bonke's crusade.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by MEILYN(m): 11:52am On Dec 25, 2013
oyelude f: read , digest nd try to get d message being passed. [b12 But some people did accept
born from God himself.
but grace and truth came
Which translation is this? Why dont you quote the scriptures without adding your own explanation?

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him." (John 1:18).<< different from what your bible is saying. So you mean God came to earth in flesh? Okay now.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by oyeludef(m): 12:14pm On Dec 25, 2013
MEILYN: Which translation is this? Why dont you quote the scriptures without adding your own explanation?

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him." (John 1:18).<< different from what your bible is saying. So you mean God came to earth in flesh? Okay now.
so u dnt even knw what john had been sayin frm verse 1 n u claim to understand verse 18? wat do u understand by verse 14 BTW
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by oyeludef(m): 12:19pm On Dec 25, 2013
ERV version was where i quoted frm
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by MEILYN(m): 12:46pm On Dec 25, 2013
oyelude f: ERV version was where i quoted frm
I can explain the whole chapter for you if you want..... But bro, there was something in your post that made me give up. I give up bro. You are right in your mind. Stick with it.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by oyeludef(m): 1:20pm On Dec 25, 2013
MEILYN: I can explain the whole chapter for you if you want..... But bro, there was something in your post that made me give up. I give up bro. You are right in your mind. Stick with it.
yes give up so as not to sound illogical. u cant get other parts of d bible to support ur john 1 :18 but want to build a doctrine out of it .smh
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by khowman(m): 5:34pm On Dec 25, 2013
macof:

Sweet fairy tales grin
your this argument is something meaningless and has no effect on any thing, if effct it is on your own soul not eny one els.
but it is not a falt at all, because you including other christions and jews have not completed the God's mission in the middle. we muslim belive all prophets including moses jesus jecub and all others, as well as............ we belive all divine books including bibel, torah.... so muslim come to the conclusion of God's mission, we never be a good muslim untill we believe said prophets and divine books as islam teach us, the holy book quran is not some thing different and islam itself is not some different these are all conclusion of previous books and teaching of phophets. it is what you are avoiding to know and never trying to understand and making it a joke........ :-(
macof:

Sweet fairy tales grin
your this argument is something meaningless and has no effect on any thing, if effct it is on your own soul not eny one els.
but it is not a falt at all, because you including other christions and jews have not completed the God's mission in the middle. we muslim belive all prophets including moses jesus jecub and all others, as well as............ we belive all divine books including bibel, torah.... so muslim come to the conclusion of God's mission, we never be a good muslim untill we believe said prophets and divine books as islam teach us, the holy book quran is not some thing different and islam itself is not some different these are all conclusion of previous books and teaching of phophets. it is what you are avoiding to know and never trying to understand and making it a joke........ :-(
macof:

Sweet fairy tales grin
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by noblefada: 6:10pm On Dec 25, 2013
oyelude f: didnt adam see God or wasnt he a man? av u tried reading d whole chaptr instead of quotin a verse out of context?
The mistake most Christians make is to use the OT to explain the NT, it should be the other way round, for the fact Jesus said it twice should have settled the issue. Again no one has ever seen God, not Adam not even the angels, the closest they saw of the physical attributes of God was Christ Jesus, 1Ti 3:16 KJV* And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels , preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by Goshen360(m): 6:23pm On Dec 25, 2013
noblefada:
The mistake most Christians make is to use the OT to explain the NT, it should be the other way round, for the fact Jesus said it twice should have settled the issue. Again no one has ever seen God, not Adam not even the angels, the closest they saw of the physical attributes of God was Christ Jesus, 1Ti 3:16 KJV* And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels , preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Heaven also endorse your message and so do I.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by noblefada: 7:02pm On Dec 25, 2013
Goshen360:

Heaven also endorse your message and so do I.
Thanks
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by cold(m): 9:01pm On Dec 25, 2013
Lol..please make up your minds. Has anyone seen or not seen the face of God? Because this is frustrating

Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by Ndipe(m): 9:30pm On Dec 25, 2013
noblefada:

Read Matthew 18:10
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by noblefada: 10:13pm On Dec 25, 2013
cold: Lol..please make up your minds. Has anyone seen or not seen the face of God? Because this is frustrating
No one, not even the angels up till now have seen God the Father, the closest they have is to see Christ Jesus.
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by oyeludef(m): 6:47am On Dec 27, 2013
noblefada:
No one, not even the angels up till now have seen God the Father, the closest they have is to see Christ Jesus.
luke 1:19
Re: People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? by RikoduoSennin(m): 7:47am On Dec 27, 2013
Not to derail off thread: Moses and No human (flesh and blood before and after Moses) have seen the Father/Yahweh (God Almighty).

1) The Father is always Found/Located in Heaven, The Lord's Prayer, the account of Job, the revelation of Jeremiah, Isaiah and John in Revelation are few prove of that fact.

2) The earth is like a fool stool to him, I really don't See how he could fit in to the extent any man can see him within a fixed location.

3) The throne of the Father is not, and has never been Vacant- Not once.

4) God is Spirit- That is why physical beings with physical eyes have not seen him. Even in the Visions given to bible writers-only his likeness was seen. In fact, Jesus (God's firstborn son) was seen when he became flesh (physical being).
NB: Spirit is different from Ghost!

5)Gen 32:24-30; Jacob wrestle with an angel yet he said" ...I have seen God face to face...", proving that some mistaken Angels as God. Reading through the bible you will find out, that he is not along in such thought.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The True Meaning Of Jesus' Baptism / The Truth Concerning Temptation / What Makes You Go To Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.