Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,599 members, 7,827,259 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means (2946 Views)

Don't Know What To Do / THREAD For Those Who Don't Have A Val / Girls Who Don't Shave Their Legs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 3:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
Feminism has an image problem, that much is obvious. Much of that image problem comes from wannabe feminists with a platform putting forth thoughts and ideas without critical examination, and more of it comes from misinformation given on websites and other news outlets.

Feminism
Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women.
Wikipedia

The basic axiom of feminism is ensuring women's freedom and equality of opportunity in all spheres of life and eliminating gender discrimination of BOTH SEXES for assuming roles that are not stereotypically associated for whatever gender they were born as.
Feminism does not preach hatred of men, or of masculinity. It challenges the consensus view and asks people to be reflective about their beliefs.
It activists campaign for women's rights such as in contract law, property, and voting while also promoting bodily integrity, autonomy.

Feminism is not about putting men down. It is about equality for women AND men. Nobody should be left out in this equation. As much as feminism wants women to have equal opportunity, freedom and agency as men, we also want men to be able to participate in some activities commonly associated with femininity and not be criticized or shamed for it. That’s another way feminists want to level the playing field, and no, it’s not discriminatory. For many feminists, paternity leave and maternity leave are things we fight for. It’s also common for many feminists to want men to be able to seek out mental health treatment without stigma, or to be able to more open with their emotions and feelings and not be criticized for it.

Using a gendered term (ie 'feminist' which is derived from the word female) to express a desire for universal equality does, at first glance, appear to miss the point entirely. However, due to the historical systemic gender discrimination women have suffered under and continue to suffer under, I think the movement has to be about and for female equality. Feminism is a push against patriarchy (another gendered term no one ever seems to argue against). Until the playing field is level, truly level, the gendered moniker for the movement should stick.

Socially, there is a lot that feminism is trying to change. For example, society should stop using the word "girly" in negative ways while "manly" is a complement. I'm a girl, it's plain wrong if and when a female acts strong, independent and tough she's described as "manly" and when she wears cute dresses and invites her friends over for tea she's being a "girly" and weak.

These ways of thinking. ie that 'girly behaviour' is inferior and should be mocked, negatively affects the image of females in society. The value of women has been put down below that of men (instead of at the same level as men's) and women have basically been reduced to second class citizens.
Some examples of how negative connotations of female behaviour affect women is reflected on the views of the populace on whether women are as deserving of the same privileges as men are.
A Pew survey conducted in Nigeria in 2010 showed that up to half of the populace still doesn't think university education is as essential for women as it is for men;
[img]http://filipspagnoli.files./2008/08/university-degree-is-more-important-for-a-boy-than-for-a-girl.png?w=696[/img]

University education is actually equally important for males and females so that is just one example of how discrimination of women affects women negatively.

Finally, one reason why feminism is trying to provide equal opportunities for men and women is due to the fact that boxing males and females into gender roles that they are expected to always stick to is counter productive to societal development and it is an infringement on human rights.
Individuals should be given opportunities to chose what they want to become in life, they might decide take up roles that are not typically associated with their gender because they are drawn toward those roles and because they are naturally good at doing those things; for instance a man who is naturally compassionate/caring might be drawn towards being a nurse in a hospital and would want to get a nursing degree from the university but he would most likely not pursue that dream because nursing is seen as a typically "female role" and because men are expected to be tough and contained. What happens in that scenario is that the talents of the man in question goes to waste because of the societal expectations placed on him for being born male.
Another example is a woman who does not have the desire to stay at home taking care of children because she wants to dedicate her life to researching and making scientific discoveries in the lab because she is good at such things. That woman would most likely not be able to exercise her talents to her full abilities because of the societal expectation on her to get married, have kids and spend the rest of her life taking care of them. In the end, the talents and aptitudes of that woman goes to waste just like that of the man because they were both expected to restrict themselves to their stereotypical gender roles.
If men and women are restricted to specific gender roles then we would be disregarding the needs of the men and women that don't want to take up the role assigned to their gender because they were not born with the skills for it or because they have no love for that role.
We would be disregarding men who do not want to do physical or strength consuming tasks because they prefer a gentle and easy way of life, we would be disregarding men who do not want to be chivalrous knights in shiny armour, we would be disregarding men who do not like outward displays of aggression that is expected from males.
Same goes for women that have no desire to be emotional or to be led/ruled over by men.
So equal rights should be provided for both genders and discrimination of people who do not desire to conform to typical gender roles should be eradicated because it is a tenet of human rights that individuals should be able to do whatever makes them happy as long as they are not harming anyone in the process.

2 Likes

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 25, 2013
Instead of clamouring for gender equality which is wrong,destructive and deceptive,the feminist shoud be concerned with equal basic opportunity for the both gender which is more productive and safer to human well being,the perceived weakness of the female gender is sometimes a smokescreen created to hide their sometimes bullish strenght.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
^^^^How is gender equality wrong,destructive and deceptive ?

2 Likes

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Fulaman198(m): 8:21pm On Oct 31, 2013
De Beauvoir are you some kind of Belgian feminist or something?

Equality of Genders is fine, but men and women still need to recognise that they are different physically and emotionally. There are many ways to achieve equality. But for example, you would not let a woman do heavy duty construction work right? I mean one that partakes in heavy lifting of objects. Women naturally do not have the brawn for that. There are other things women are better at than men.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 31, 2013
Fulaman198: De Beauvoir are you some kind of Belgian feminist or something?

Equality of Genders is fine, but men and women still need to recognise that they are different physically and emotionally. There are many ways to achieve equality. But for example, you would not let a woman do heavy duty construction work right? I mean one that partakes in heavy lifting of objects. Women naturally do not have the brawn for that. There are other things women are better at than men.

@bold, Good.
that is all I am interested in.
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by zaziakoni(f): 12:23pm On Nov 18, 2013
Fulaman198: De Beauvoir are you some kind of Belgian feminist or something?

who told you women cant do heavy duty consruction works, there are women who are far stronger than men, and thereis nothing a man has a brain to do that a woman has no brain for.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Ruq: 1:40pm On Nov 18, 2013
zazi akoni: who told you women cant do heavy duty consruction works, there are women who are far stronger than men, and thereis nothing a man has a brain to do that a woman has no brain for.

See that's the ish the nigga didn't even say anything about brains.

They should do that research based on the youths of today and they will find a friendlier result. The thing is no one is really against feminism it's just that way some women feel inferior towards their male counterpart. And this i'll blame on their upbringing or their own perception not agreeing to change, while i was growing up none of my parents attached any importance on me despite being the only male among 3 sisters. we were brought up equally. So far i have no p with feminism except that sometimes it just seems like they try to attach too much importance on females, just like males do a times.

Only a myopic person would say the female child should not be granted equal rights and freedom as it is to the male child. I as a person know that women are a very important part of our lives no matter on which card you want to play them, they are as important as men. And we know that even before feminism became a word somethings have been attached to a particular gender which still tells till date. Which is what i think feminism is trying to change.

Another thing i hate a times is that, they go over the edge while asking for gender equality, all in the name of feminism some women feel they produce enough testosterone which makes some of them think they have a diick growing between them. In cases like that i ask them if you want total equality and you expect me to pull your chair, act like a gentle man while still treating you as an equal you've have no fuckin meaning what equality is because i wouldn't do that for a bruva.

Meanwhile Good luck to feminist.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 18, 2013
De Beauvoir:

Don't mind that dafara chewing fulani mallam. Banging his head on the floor five times a day for his foolish Isamic prayers has made his brain turn upside down.

That was harsh. It's obvious you're an atheist and well-known feminist on here, but at least respect other people's religion. The line you've just towed if reciprocated by other people on you will see you crying blue murder. You shouldn't derail your thread with insults cos if he replies you harshly, this thread will be derailed.

@topic, no comment. This kinda thread usually ends with insults and too much emotions, I better watch from the sidelines cool

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 2:49pm On Nov 18, 2013
Has anyone read "The Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else?". If you're interested in knowing [more] about why power imbalance is terrible for an economy and the important roles women and men play in shaping it, read it.
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by sarutobie(m): 3:08pm On Nov 18, 2013
lalaosky:

That's was harsh. It's obvious you're an atheist and well-known feminist on here, but at least respect other people's religion. The line you've just towed if reciprocated by other people on you will see you crying blue murder. You shouldn't derail your thread with insults cos if he replies you harshly, this thread will be derailed.

@topic, no comment. This kinda thread usually ends with insults and too much emotions, I better watch from the sidelines cool
To think she is the type demanding for equality,with such an uncouth attitude..notice how her emotions got the better of her...very typical.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 18, 2013
sarutobie and lalaosky, mind your business please, what I do on Nairaland is not your concern and if you have anything related to the topic to write then write it and be on your way.
I was harsh with fulaman because he insulted me before on another thread.
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by UyiIredia(m): 4:31pm On Nov 18, 2013
There isn't anything wrong per se in assigning women into tradutiinal gender roles. Where it becomes a problem is if such roles are asserted to their detriment and those of their children. That said equality can only go so far. Right from the get-go men and women ARE NOT born (created or evolved if you will) equal. They each have their unique physiology and believe it or not mentality. Aside from that, one doesn't need emphasize biological differences. Umm ! Will De Beauviour campaign for women to be granted equality in dressing with men. Especially where such a lady is androgynous and so can easily pass off for the other $€x. I would grant feminism though, only inasmuch as it isn't to the detriment of men. Case in point: setting a quota for female bank managers in the country. Silly since despite the quota many women haven't taken advantage of it. Men are the ones who typically take such roles. Or say, a feminist group, advocates a space in engineering must be allocated to women How silly ! Fact is women tend to match the no. of men who go for suvh courses. Males OVERWHEMINGLY sign on for eng. courses much more than women so such a quota woild be inane from the get-go. Peace !

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 18, 2013
Uyi Iredia: There isn't anything wrong per se in assigning women into tradutiinal gender roles. Where it becomes a problem is if such roles are asserted to their detriment and those of their children.
All females are not the same and all males are not the same either. How can you box people in specific roles based on their genders when people have differing tastes and abilities and intellects?
Women and men should be free to choose what they want to become in life, roles shouldn't be assigned to them by virtue of what sexual organs they were born with.

That said equality can only go so far. Right from the get-go men and women ARE NOT born (created or evolved if you will) equal. They each have their unique physiology and believe it or not mentality. Aside from that, one doesn't need emphasize biological differences.
Equal oppotunities and equal rights should be granted to men and women, like I said before all women are not the same and all men are not the same. There are women who are more aggresive than men and there are men who are more soft hearted than women, there is no clear cut line dividing both genders and a lot of the time, you see the behaviours which are typically attributed to on gender being exhibited by another gender. An example of this is seen in homosexuality.

I would grant feminism though, only inasmuch as it isn't to the detriment of men. Case in point: setting a quota for female bank managers in the country. Silly since despite the quota many women haven't taken advantage of it. Men are the ones who typically take such roles. Or say, a feminist group, advocates a space in engineering must be allocated to women How silly ! Fact is women tend to match the no. of men who go for suvh courses. Males OVERWHEMINGLY sign on for eng. courses much more than women so such a quota woild be inane from the get-go. Peace !
Has it occurred to you that maybe women are not found in such positions because there is pressure on them to get married and take care of their children? Or that they are not found in such positions because they have been conditioned by society to believe that such roles are exclusively reserved for men or that women cannot handle the rigors of engineering and top managerial positions?
Feminism tries to eliminate that mentality in people so hopefully, with time its aim would be achieved and more women will take up the roles you mentioned.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Ruq: 4:51pm On Nov 18, 2013
@ OP may i ask what made you a strong supporter for feminism ?
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 18, 2013
De Beauvoir: sarutobie and lalaosky, mind your business please, what I do on Nairaland is not your concern and if you have anything related to the topic to write then write it and be on your way.

Ignore him.
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 18, 2013
Ruq: @ OP may i ask what made you a strong supporter for feminism ?
Because I'm for equal treatment, freedom, responsibility and an end to negative discrimination in general whether it is Race, Sex, Sexuality etc.

That, among other reasons.
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 18, 2013
De Beauvoir: sarutobie and lalaosky, mind your business please, what I do on Nairaland is not your concern and if you have anything related to the topic to write then write it and be on your way.

You make me laugh. What I say is also none of your business. This an open forum where people can quote you be quoted in return. The reason I told you not to insult was to avoid your thread being derailed with insults because I remember when you and other feminists had a face-off with a moniker in one of the feminists thread, when the ladies insulted the guy, he retaliated, you guys cried foul and the essence of the topic was destroyed. If you wanna keep insulting, go ahead. That's your biz but if I wanna post my opinion, I'll do.

2 Likes

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 5:29pm On Nov 18, 2013
^^^Okay.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 18, 2013
lalaosky:

You make me laugh. What I say is also none of your business. This an open forum where people can quote you be quoted in return. The reason I told you not to insult was to avoid your thread being derailed with insults because I remember when you and other feminists had a face-off with a moniker in one of the feminists thread, when the ladies insulted the guy, he retaliated, you guys cried foul and the essence of the topic was destroyed. If you wanna keep insulting, go ahead. That's your biz but if I wanna post my opinion, I'll do.

Why do I have this nagging feeling that you are the same person as carujmonella...........?

I don't see why you'd still have that very old thread in mind, up till now, when you weren't one of the participants on the thread.

Hmmmmm......suspicious..... grin
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 18, 2013
De Beauvoir:

Why do I have this nagging feeling that you are the same person as carujmonella...........?

I don't see why you'd still have that very old thread in mind, up till now, when you weren't one of the participants on the thread.

Hmmmmm......suspicious..... grin

How about a reader/viewer of that thread?. Does it qualify me to have that thread in mind till now? wink. Well, I know you well on here as a passionate feminist/atheist and all the threads about feminism has been filled with slurs and since you really want people to get educated about feminism, I just feel you shouldn't throw insult. Or attack his religious beliefs cos if the moniker replies, it might lead to hidden posts and eventual deletion of the thread. But if you feel you wanna repay him for his previous attack for you, feel free grin wink
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 18, 2013
lalaosky:

How about a reader/viewer of that thread?. Does it qualify me to have that thread in mind till now? wink. Well, I know you well on here as a passionate feminist/atheist and all the threads about feminism has been filled with slurs and since you really want people to get educated about feminism, I just feel you shouldn't throw insult. Or attack his religious beliefs cos if the moniker replies, it might lead to hidden posts and eventual deletion of the thread. But if you feel you wanna repay him for his previous attack for you, feel free grin wink

Alright thanks for your advice carujmonella smiley
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by sarutobie(m): 7:54pm On Nov 18, 2013
lalaosky:

She an atheist? No wonder she was also advocating for freedom on sexuality(and if possible bestiality)..wrong thread for me..ce la vie!
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 18, 2013
sarutobie:
She an atheist? No wonder she was also advocating for freedom on sexuality(and if possible bestiality)..wrong thread for me..ce la vie!

What I said was I want equal rights, equal freedom and equal responsibilities. I don't know what part of the thread you saw me advocating 'freedom on sexuality' (whatever that means) or bestiality.

Na wa o. I jus tire for all these alt account users and the endless grudges they bear against me grin
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by troy20(m): 11:41pm On Nov 18, 2013
confused women.i never knew a thing with more identity crises.why dont you all just wear it like a tag now so we know whom is and who is'nt.nature might not have been perfect but i think the gender placement of male and female roles and the way it all turned out was the best balance it could achieve.you want to be treated as men,then you forfiet your rights to be seen as women.since you are now men.countries with high feminist rates are paying a certain price for it already.their men go out to other countries to find real women.i believe you dont support gay marriages but your movement is no different.the most feminist countries denmark,norway,sweden have the highest divorce rates.and i read an artical about how their men are becoming feminised; lacking the assured confidence of men.those countries, though amonsgt the most developed and stable, will head downhill intime.Afterall whats a society without STEEL
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 12:12am On Nov 19, 2013
troy20: confused women.i never knew a thing with more identity crises.why dont you all just wear it like a tag now so we know whom is and who is'nt.becarefull what you wish for.

Gender equality is here to stay. Your accepting or rejecting it will not change that fact.
Look at you, you have even gone as low as calling women 'things'. Do you have a mother? Sisters? Daughter etc? Because when you refer to women as things you are also saying that your mother/sister/daughter etc are nothing but things.
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by troy20(m): 12:21am On Nov 19, 2013
De Beauvoir:

Gender equality is here to stay. Your accepting or rejecting it will not change that fact.
Look at you, you have even gone as low as calling women 'things'. Do you have a mother? Sisters? Daughter etc? Because when you refer to women as things you are also saying that your mother/sister/daughter etc are nothing but things.
i was refering to your movement...whatever it is as the "thing".the gender is equal but where naturally assigned different roles.you dont want to be identified with these roles anymore.feminism is breeding suspicion,distrust, hate among genders already in those feminist countries, go read up.you dont know what you are asking for.there has been gender unrests historicaly no doubt.feminism is just faning the flames now.i hope you win.and your tongue might not be enough
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Fulaman198(m): 12:28am On Nov 19, 2013
Anyone who thinks that men and women are capable of the same physical feats is completely and obviously in denial. It's ok to want equality for both genders, however it is not ok for peoples brains to stop working. Physically stronger does not mean better, a man is and will always be physically stronger than a woman, there is no disputing that. Men are built for strength.

Wonder Woman does not exist. There are some men who have the capability of benchpressing 500 lbs. There is a reason testosterone and estrogen exists. Let us not be in denial here.
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Fulaman198(m): 12:30am On Nov 19, 2013
zazi akoni: who told you women cant do heavy duty consruction works, there are women who are far stronger than men, and thereis nothing a man has a brain to do that a woman has no brain for.

Show me a women who can lift 140 kgs and I will say sure why not. We must accept the fact that women and men have different physiques.
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Fulaman198(m): 12:32am On Nov 19, 2013
sarutobie:
To think she is the type demanding for equality,with such an uncouth attitude..notice how her emotions got the better of her...very typical.

I don't even let what she says affect me personally, If she wants to be in denial about men and women not being of different physiologies then fine. God created men and women to be that way.

No one here said that women and men are not equal in intelligence, because that would be a lie. But in physical strength, yes men are physically stronger. It does not mean a man is better.
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Fulaman198(m): 12:34am On Nov 19, 2013
Uyi Iredia: There isn't anything wrong per se in assigning women into tradutiinal gender roles. Where it becomes a problem is if such roles are asserted to their detriment and those of their children. That said equality can only go so far. Right from the get-go men and women ARE NOT born (created or evolved if you will) equal. They each have their unique physiology and believe it or not mentality. Aside from that, one doesn't need emphasize biological differences. Umm ! Will De Beauviour campaign for women to be granted equality in dressing with men. Especially where such a lady is androgynous and so can easily pass off for the other $€x. I would grant feminism though, only inasmuch as it isn't to the detriment of men. Case in point: setting a quota for female bank managers in the country. Silly since despite the quota many women haven't taken advantage of it. Men are the ones who typically take such roles. Or say, a feminist group, advocates a space in engineering must be allocated to women How silly ! Fact is women tend to match the no. of men who go for suvh courses. Males OVERWHEMINGLY sign on for eng. courses much more than women so such a quota woild be inane from the get-go. Peace !

Absolutely true Iredia
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 12:43am On Nov 19, 2013
Jesus are we still on this feminism shiit

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

She Wants A Godfearing Man (pix) / Why Do Unattractive Girls Have Feelins For Fine Guys? / CRAZY Sexual Fanatasy Of My EXs...Wanting to come back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.