Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,703 members, 7,844,318 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means (2947 Views)

Don't Know What To Do / THREAD For Those Who Don't Have A Val / Girls Who Don't Shave Their Legs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 19, 2013
De Beauvoir:

What has feminism got to do with African culture? Are you kidding me? Are you seriously not aware of all the different sexist cultures that pervade African socities?
Take marriage for example,
In Africa the woman must always be the surbodinate, before she gets married, she must have a 'bride price' paid on her head as if she is nothing but property that can be bought and sold. After marriage she has to change her name from her father's name to her husband's name because women are not allowed in African cultures to have identities of their own. They must always be under the man in their lives, whether it is their husband or their father.
When she bears children they will claim to come from the father's village or town, that is if she doesn't marry a man who comes from the same tribe she does. Her kids will say that they belong to their father's home town and not hers. They will not bear her name they will bear their father's name. No matter how much she sacrifices in raising them, their father will always have the final claim to them. Even if he is a lousy and irresponsible father, they will still bear his name and claim his village.
How can you not see the injustice in all this?
These things are not even in the Bible, there is no instruction in the Bible for women to have bride price paid on them, therer is no instruction in the Bible that says a woman must bear her husband's name so why are we still enforcing these laws?

And why is it incumbent on women to be humble and sub missive to their husbands? What is wrong with having an egalitarian marriage? Some men don't have leadership skills, they have wives who are better decision makers than they are, they have wives who are smarter than they are but inspite of all that, women are always expected to submit and be humble in marriages. It doesn't make sense for a woman to be smarter and better at making decisions than her husband but still submit to his whim and will when it comes to decision making.

These sexist norms in Africa are the cause of negative stereotypes associated with women in our society today. It is because of these things that men see women as inferior and un intelligent.
Anyway, aunty joavid, if your personal desire is to adhere to the African rules and regulations regarding gender roles then go right ahead and do so. Nobody is forcing you to accept feminist ideologies.

People like you are one of the reasons I avoid arguments on Nairaland.
did you read my post from top to bottom?? Did you even understand what i wrote??
You only picked a part you felt you can sheepishly takcle with your myopic points.
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 19, 2013
Joavid:

People like you are one of the reasons I avoid arguments on Nairaland.
did you read my post from top to bottom?? Did you even understand what i wrote??
You only picked a part you felt you can sheepishly takcle with your myopic points.

So my points were myopic?
How hilarious.
Why not counter them and show me what makes them myopic instead of making empty claims?

I addressed that part of your post because I felt that was the only part that deserved a response. I couldn't start picking every single wrong point in your post and criticizing them one by one; I don't have that time.
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Ruq: 9:00pm On Nov 19, 2013
De Beauvoir:

What has feminism got to do with African culture? Are you kidding me? Are you seriously not aware of all the different sexist cultures that pervade African socities?

Take marriage for example,

In Africa the woman must always be the surbodinate, before she gets married, she must have a 'bride price' paid on her head as if she is nothing but property that can be bought and sold. After marriage she has to change her name from her father's name to her husband's name because women are not allowed in African cultures to have identities of their own. They must always be under the man in their lives, whether it is their husband or their father.

When she bears children they will claim to come from the father's village or town, that is if she doesn't marry a man who comes from the same tribe she does. Her kids will say that they belong to their father's home town and not hers. They will not bear her name they will bear their father's name. No matter how much she sacrifices in raising them, their father will always have the final claim to them. Even if he is a lousy and irresponsible father, they will still bear his name and claim his village.

How can you not see the injustice in all this?

These things are not even in the Bible, there is no instruction in the Bible for women to have bride price paid on them, therer is no instruction in the Bible that says a woman must bear her husband's name so why are we still enforcing these laws?

And why is it incumbent on women to be humble and submissive to their husbands? What is wrong with having an egaliterean marriage? Some men don't have leadership skills, they have wives who are better decision makers than they are, they have wives who are smarter than they are but inspite of all that, women are always expected to submit and be humble in marriages. It doesn't make sense for a woman to be smarter and better at making decisions than her husband but still submit to his whim and will when it comes to decision making.

These sexist norms in Africa are the cause of negative stereotypes associated with women in our society today. It is because of these things that men see women as inferior and unintelligent.

Anyway, aunty joavid, if your personal desire is to adhere to the African rules and regulations regarding gender roles then go right ahead and do so. Nobody is forcing you to accept feminist ideologies.

Most of what you stated here is a way of life 'Culture'. Which as influenced all of us one way or the other. And this P is simple because a lot of customs and norms has been altered, modified till date to fit into today's world. Without that we would never have gotten this far, sorta far shaa. Or do you think 9yr olds would have started school, wouldn't 20yr old ladies be planning for a 3rd child ? of which some people still chose to see advantages in them. If culture is what you think is trying rob you off your freedom Dump the Fuckin thing.

And as you know the youths of today, majority of'em don't give the nibblest of hoots about culture, of which most of the culture might be facing extinction. I have never heard anyone tell me crap about women not deserving equal treatment from anyone, down to the laws and benefits of life. Am not ruling out that it doesn't exist but i can asure you that tons off peolple even men will turn up against it.

Have you ever lashed out at anyone for not treating you like a woman ?. As some women will ask you to when they feel you're are being too rigid on them or when you talk to them without compassion as men would talk to themselves at times. What would you think the woman asking to treated as woman here means ?

I tell you mehn if Eve had a feminist ideology as you do, we'd all be fuckin homos by now.
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 10:59pm On Nov 19, 2013
Ruq:

Most of what you stated here is a way of life 'Culture'. Which as influenced all of us one way or the other. And this P is simple because a lot of customs and norms has been altered, modified till date to fit into today's world. Without that we would never have gotten this far, sorta far shaa. Or do you think 9yr olds would have started school, wouldn't 20yr old ladies be planning for a 3rd child ? of which some people still chose to see advantages in them. If culture is what you think is trying rob you off your freedom Dump the Fuckin thing.

And as you know the youths of today, majority of'em don't give the nibblest of hoots about culture, of which most of the culture might be facing extinction. I have never heard anyone tell me crap about women not deserving equal treatment from anyone, down to the laws and benefits of life. Am not ruling out that it doesn't exist but i can asure you that tons off peolple even men will turn up against it.

Have you ever lashed out at anyone for not treating you like a woman ?. As some women will ask you to when they feel you're are being too rigid on them or when you talk to them without compassion as men would talk to themselves at times. What would you think the woman asking to treated as woman here means ?

I tell you mehn if Eve had a feminist ideology as you do, we'd all be fuckin homos by now.

Jesus.....

What on earth are you going on about?
I don't understand what you are trying to say

Why do you think we'd all be homos if Eve had been a feminist? I am curious....
Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by nipeks001(m): 10:44am On Nov 20, 2013
Feminist-lousy group of women with imbalanced view(no offence meant)
They only see the CONS of being a woman and the PROS of being a man.
If you think a society that makes it mandatory for men to go through the rigours of wooing a woman(self esteem is at stake here),pay for dates,paying her bride price,buying you a ring,financing their wedding in most cases in exchange for women/children to bear the man's name is injustice to woman,then i guess i'm 99% right about my first paragraph.
That was how this same op when trying to undermine man's physical prowess gave an example that why is man the most advanced animal and not Lion but will not be able to explain why Lion is the king of the jungle and not Monkey.
My own take is that as joavid said you can advocate for MORE rights(which as actually been achieved) and not EQUAL rights cos we are not SAME.
And i will like you to check martin luther king day in your oxford dictionary-It is the remembarance of MLK day who advocated for MORE rights for blacks.
Note the word MORE,he would have been foolish to be advocating for more black governors or a black president just because they want one or they feel oppressed but today obama became president not coz is black but on merit.
So there feminist before you start advocating for children to start bearing women's surname,pls make sure first that women are the one's wooing us,buying us diamond rings,financing the wedding,paying bride price,paying for dinner dates.
If you want female tennis player to earn as much as their male counterparts,make sure that they play the same number of sets.
Hoping a feminist will understand your view and make a logical arguement is like hoping a Iroko tree will start dancing azonto,so therefore pls,feminists,don't try quoting me.

4 Likes

Re: For Those Who Don't Know What Feminism Means by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 20, 2013
nipeks001: Feminist-lousy group of women with imbalanced view(no offence meant)
They only see the CONS of being a woman and the PROS of being a man.
If you think a society that makes it mandatory for men to go through the rigours of wooing a woman(self esteem is at stake here),pay for dates,paying her bride price,buying you a ring,financing their wedding in most cases in exchange for women/children to bear the man's name is injustice to woman,then i guess i'm 99% right about my first paragraph.
That was how this same op when trying to undermine man's physical prowess gave an example that why is man the most advanced animal and not Lion but will not be able to explain why Lion is the king of the jungle and not Monkey.
My own take is that as joavid said you can advocate for MORE rights(which as actually been achieved) and not EQUAL rights cos we are not SAME.
And i will like you to check martin luther king day in your oxford dictionary-It is the remembarance of MLK day who advocated for MORE rights for blacks.
Note the word MORE,he would have been foolish to be advocating for more black governors or a black president just because they want one or they feel oppressed but today obama became president not coz is black but on merit.
So there feminist before you start advocating for children to start bearing women's surname,pls make sure first that women are the one's wooing us,buying us diamond rings,financing the wedding,paying bride price,paying for dinner dates.
If you want female tennis player to earn as much as their male counterparts,make sure that they play the same number of sets.
Hoping a feminist will understand your view and make a logical arguement is like hoping a Iroko tree will start dancing azonto,[size=13pt]so therefore pls,feminists,don't try quoting me[/size].

I wasn't going to reply this comment before but I saw the part in bold and decided I would quote you just to see what you are going to do about it.

@the rest of your post;
Feminism is not responsible for men wooing women, if you don't want to woo women because you think it's unfair then by all means don't do it. Feminism didn't say only men should pay for dates, it didn't say only men should buy rings, solely finance a wedding etc, women are also encouraged to do these things. Feminism doesn't believe that men should pay bride price because that is backward thing to do and makes women look like properties that can be bought and sold.

We should advocate for equal rights because everyone ought to get a chance to do what they think they are good at instead of being restricted because of gender, if they fail then so be it, if they succeed then well and good. What is important is giving everyone equal rights and opportunities.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Must I Remain single Even After Am Done With School? / Breaking: New Fruit Descovered By Scientist / Hilarious: If This Lady Should Be Your Future Wife Appointed By God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.