Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,585 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims - Islam for Muslims (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims (8377 Views)

Top 12 Misconceptions About Islam / Top TEN Misconceptions About ISLAM / Ramad-amnesia, A Contagious Disease Among Muslims. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by AlBaqir(m): 8:43pm On Nov 17, 2013
beejaay:

and who asked them to spend years learning it??

if a total novice cannot pick a book and understand it to the basic then that book is as useless as it should be (and am sure the Holy Quran and the Holy Bible is not useless...)... a book that is for the whole benefit of mankind should be understandable to the most stupid among them so that they will not be brainwashed and used against the very purpose its written for

going by your logic since shekau,osama, and many more islamic terrorist went through rigorous study on Quran we can say that they are qualified to be called scholar ryt...

and pls tell me why will a Supreme God make a book He sent to his people so hard that they have to go through some form of school to understand it??

since the sunni and shia and different group scholars went through rigorous Quranic school why are they still divergent in their views and almost sees each other as enemies??( my thinking is that with there supposedly years of learning they should understand it to the fullest and the issue of sect shouldnt exist in the first place)

my sister dont get it twisted Quran, Bible is as clear as daylight and as simple, clear as anything can be...it doesnt need any special education..the word in it is clear for any one to understand and interpreters or the so called scholars are not needed

Hmmm.
I agree Qur'an has been revealed and simplify for human understanding. But wait a minute brother does every tom, dick and harry understand the same way?
Even in the class-room comprising group of students under a single teacher teaching a particular subject, do they all understand the same way?
Are our power of assimilation, and interpretation the same?
If you journey through the Qur'an, you will realize there are absolutely two categories of verses in the entire book. (Q3 vs 7). Some verses are clear (Muhkam) and understandable: these verses were made "foundation of the book (Quran).
The second category are the 'Mutashabihats'. These are allegorical verses; ambigious, having more than one meaning.
Now how do every tom, dick and harry understand this kind? Allah says the meaning of this verses is only known to Him and those who are grounded in knowledge.

There's a need for a teacher at every school of every knowledge. Reading and thinking and mediating alone will bring a rigid, vague and one sided understanding. Where your own thinking stops, others start.

Salam.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by AlBaqir(m): 9:06pm On Nov 17, 2013
beejaay:

the fact that Prophet came in human physical form means he has all the attribute and xteristics of that form which its finite..when you take on the physical form of a goat u will definitely eat grass and when its a lion u will definitely eat flesh (no other way round it)

no matter how hard you try to manipulate the verse of the Quran, it simply means what it means "HUMAN"

The sura reads:

"Say (O Muhammad): "I am only a man like you. It has been REVEALED to me..." (Q18 the very last verse).

Does every man get revelation? Only special and exceptional among "men" does. On the other hand they are called "al-Mustapha - chosen one".

Before they can be given revelation or chosen, their character, thinking and judgement among many other thing MUST be exceptional not comparable to every tom, dick and Harry.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 9:59pm On Nov 17, 2013
Mehn, Al baqir, you got it all wrong. First, you came to a thread that has nearly been forgotten whose Op was under a ban, then posted a lot of comments or questions. Then expect me to start answering several questions at a time while without pausing, u kept on asking more and more questions. In the end, there was no balance between the questioning and answering yet you accuse me of dodging you amidst the chaos.

The reason why you think i 've been dodging you is cos i don't quote you and i reply your questions as if i am addressing other persons reading the thread too. This wouldn't have been the case if you organised your questions well and stop posting a textbook whenever you comment. Also some of our arguements like "whether the original copy of Qur'an is same with today copies" are dead end arguement. Unless we both have the original copy,uthmanic copy or todays copy we can't debate much over who is right. Then some of your questions, the answers are right in the Op, i cant keep repeating myself. Am posting with a smartphone please. I addressed all your questions and queries,read between the lines please. You contradict a lot of verses i cited,how else do you want us to proceed? Maybe some other time you can open a new thread, specifically for us to discuss or debate extensively.

My stand, i accept the only teaching of God: Qur'an,no hadith or sunnah which have no authority from God. I only cite hadith to support my arguement cos traditional muslims believe more in hadith than Qur'an. Otherwise, i do not rely on any hadith, be it from sunnis or shiites.

Let us agree that chapter 80: he frowned. Is not referring to the prophet, then what about other verses like 33:37, 66:1 and 40:55.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 10:14pm On Nov 17, 2013
Al-Baqir:

The sura reads:

"Say (O Muhammad): "I am only a man like you. It has been REVEALED to me..." (Q18 the very last verse).

Does every man get revelation? Only special and exceptional among "men" does. On the other hand they are called "al-Mustapha - chosen one".

Before they can be given revelation or chosen, their character, thinking and judgement among many other thing MUST be exceptional not comparable to every tom, dick and Harry.

Can you see the illogicality in your post was moses, jesus without revelation?? was moses and jesus not chosen was moses and jesus perfectif moses and jesus (soeone assumed to be birthed miraculously) both have revelation, chosen and not perfect why will muhammed case be different (someone with both father and mother)

bros dont get it twisted no one is without fault and no one is perfect and the verse u quoted even support that stand (am not a fan of quoting though)......u can believe what you want brother, u can twist it anyhow u wanna twist it but truth will always stand out
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 10:26pm On Nov 17, 2013
Al-Baqir:

The sura reads:

Your view is then contrary to the verse. As long as he said "a man like you",then we just have to take it the Prophet aside the revealation he got is just a man like me and you, struggling to attain perfection. I already told you to check Qur'an 22:52,53 out. That a man is a saint with exalted morals doesn't make him free of mistakes or faults. Also you said Muhammad was always a monotheist, right from birth, fine i will dig more on that.

Then mutashabihat verses are not marked in the Qur'an or can you provide us a list of all such verses? Besides, God did not point out those who are grounded in knowledge. Anybody can strive to be knowledgeable enough with due effort to uncover the true meanings of mutashabihat(multiple meaning) verses.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usisky(m): 10:28pm On Nov 17, 2013
[size=13pt]
Peace once more Mr. Al-Baqir.
[/size]

Al-Baqir:

"That the prophet Muhammad was an illiterate man"

Was that my wording? I strongly doubt it. I will appreciate you the more if you can go through my replies to Username's theories.

Here's my exact wording:

"The holy prophet (saws) was not able to write or
read (he was an Ummy which Qur'an itself testifies). One of the uniqueness about Qur'an is how it was IMPRINTED and collected into memory. "

[size=13pt]
Sorry about that. Next time i will use your exact wording and not paraphrase you.
[/size]

Al-Baqir:

1. Honestly I deliberately used the word 'cannot read or write' rather than "illiterate" in the context of this contemporary world. At least you will agree with me that inability to read or write does not necessarily mean one is foolish or unintelligent.

[size=13pt]
yes! Inability to read or write does not reflect one's level of intelligence. On the contrary, i think one who cannot read or write
is still unlettered/illiterate in the art of reading and writing. So, if indeed this was the case for Muhammad as your post suggests(he could
neither read or write), then, i think the claims of those who say he was unlettered is not far fetched. No?
[/size]

Al-Baqir:

So far (if you read and digest our conversations well) I have been battling him to prove that English translation of the holy Qur'an does not do justice to the Arabic wording of the Qur'an; thereby, studying Arabic, understanding Arabic, recitation in Arabic is the BEST (I cited an example from sura Nisa vs 1). Remember he's a type that tend to discourage Arabic.

[size=13pt]
We'll still get to this point later on. Like i said, let's go a step at a time. I will prove to you that his assertions are correct.
[/size]

Al-Baqir:

THE ARABIC WORD USED
The exact word used in the holy Qur'an is "UMMY" (pl. UMMIYIN).
Going through many English translated Qur'an, you see "illiterate" or "Unlettered" etc.

Literally that might be the meaning but not necessarily mean that and Qur'anic meaning is quite different entirely. In the Qur'an, it means "GENTILE" or "ONE WHO IS NOT PRIMARILY FAMILIAR WITH A LAW (apparently Moses's Law).

'Gentile' though non-jewish, also mean someone who is not a reader of Torah.

Ref: Edward Lanes Lexicon explain this in detail (vol. 1)

[size=13pt]
I am glad you pointed this out. That was exactly where i was driving at. This is my first time hearing ANY muslim(Sunni or Shi'ah)
agreeing on this interpretation; quite commendable, thank you. However, i think you just RESEARCHED this before responding my
post, and that is why your research contradicts your initial statement. Here:
[/size]

Your initial statement:
Al-Baqir:

Here's my exact wording:

"The holy prophet (saws) was not able to write or
read
(he was an Ummy which Qur'an itself testifies).

[size=13pt]
You state here that the word 'UMMY' as used in the quran means one who cannot read or write. Your words in parenthesis
concurs with my allusion.
[/size]

Contradiction:
Al-Baqir:

THE ARABIC WORD USED
The exact word used in the holy Qur'an is "UMMY" (pl. UMMIYIN).
Going through many English translated Qur'an, you see "illiterate" or "Unlettered" etc.

Literally that might be the meaning but not necessarily mean that and Qur'anic meaning is quite different entirely. In the Qur'an, it means "GENTILE" or "ONE WHO IS NOT PRIMARILY FAMILIAR WITH A LAW (apparently Moses's Law).

[size=13pt]
The underlined statement above suggests that you agree that in quranic terminology, the word UMMY thus refers to a gentile(one who
neither followed the Torah or Gospel). In fact, this is the true meaning of the word as intended by the author of the quran. Aside the
fact that you contradicted your initial statement, i fear in addition, you also contradict the vast majority of muslims(sunni or shi'i)
who believe the prophet was unlettered. As such, the quranic word they claim to have this connotation is UMMY. Thank you for
helping me debunk this misconception.

The word UMMY never meant an illiterate/unlettered. This later meaning was invented by muslim scholars years after the death
of the Prophet. This can easily be exposed in the light of the quran. If the word meant as they claimed, then it must be
used consistently in the translations. But just like you have observed, some verses that used the word UMMY would utterly
be rendered meaningless if translated as illiterate. I will use YUSUF ALI tranlation to show you this inconsistency in translation:

[2:78]And there are among them illiterates(ummyyuuna), who know not the Book, but [see therein their own] desires, and they do nothing conjecture.

[3:75].........they say, "there is no call on us [to keep faith] with these ignorant [Pagans]((ummyyeena )." but they tell a lie against Allah, and [well] they know it.

[62:2]It is He Who has sent amongst the Unlettered(ummyyeena) a messenger from among themselves, to rehearse to them His Signs..................

Why did YUSUF ALI translate 3:75 which uses same word(ummyyeena) as 62:2 to mean two different things. The distortion in obvious.
Translating 'ummy' in 3:75 as unlettered would render the verse meaningless, hence the reason ALI chose a different meaning.

Look at 62:2. Does this translation make any sense? Were the Arabs whom Muhammad was raised amongst unlettered? It's clear that this word ummy in the verse refers to gentiles(those who did not follow the Torah or Gospel).

AGAIN:

a- why do you think God appointed a man who can neither read nor write to deliver the final testament to humanity?

b-how did he ascertain that what the scribes penned down tallied with the exact words and letters revealed to him by GOD since he could
neither read or write as you claim?

c-can you adduce any evidence from the quran to support your claim?

d- what do you make of the following verse:
[25:5] They also said, "Tales from the past that he wrote down; they were dictated to him day and night."
[/size]
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 10:32pm On Nov 17, 2013
Al-Baqir:

Hmmm.
I agree Qur'an has been revealed and simplify for human understanding. But wait a minute brother does every tom, dick and harry understand the same way?
Even in the class-room comprising group of students under a single teacher teaching a particular subject, do they all understand the same way?
Are our power of assimilation, and interpretation the same?
thank god u agree to the bolded...if the bolded is true then there is nothing tom dick and harry since they will also fall within human category...who define or decide who is tom dick and harry? UU
what i have come to understand with seeking is that a seeker will always be guided...with true intention thinking and reflection Quran or Bible is clear and easy to understand (u cant learn how to think or reflect in a school or from any so called scholar)

Al-Baqir:

If you journey through the Qur'an, you will realize there are absolutely two categories of verses in the entire book. (Q3 vs 7). Some verses are clear (Muhkam) and understandable: these verses were made "foundation of the book (Quran).
The second category are the 'Mutashabihats'. These are allegorical verses; ambigious, having more than one meaning.
Now how do every tom, dick and harry understand this kind? Allah says the meaning of this verses is only known to Him and those who are grounded in knowledge.

did u also read in the Quran that it is categorized into two if there are allegory as u stated, who decipher it? and from whose authority isnt that how we got here ( sunni versus shia versus other hundreds of group around the world) the supposedly interpretation of the allegory

Al-Baqir:

There's a need for a teacher at every school of every knowledge. Reading and thinking and mediating alone will bring a rigid, vague and one sided understanding. Where your own thinking stops, others start.

Salam.

no one has still being able to answer my question... who certify the certifier who give a teacher the authority on what he teaches?? how do know the true teachers (sunni teacher or shia teacher or suffi teacher or salafi teacher or others)

an attempt to create senirot
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 10:35pm On Nov 17, 2013
usermane:

Your view is then contrary to the verse. As long as he said "a man like you",then we just have to take it the Prophet aside the revealation he got is just a man like me and you, struggling to attain perfection. I already told you to check Qur'an 22:52,53 out. That a man is a saint with exalted morals doesn't make him free of mistakes or faults. Also you said Muhammad was always a monotheist, right from birth, fine i will dig more on that.

Then mutashabihat verses are not marked in the Qur'an or can you provide us a list of all such verses? Besides, God did not point out those who are grounded in knowledge. Anybody can strive to be knowledgeable enough with due effort to uncover the true meanings of mutashabihat(multiple meaning) verses.

you are on point..i dont know where he is getting all this his big grammars from..theses things are clear as black and white, i dont know where all this complexity is coming from
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by BetaThings: 11:16pm On Nov 17, 2013
usermane: Also you said Muhammad was always a monotheist, right from birth, fine i will dig more on that.
So how do you plan to do this?

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Nobody: 12:38am On Nov 18, 2013
@beejaay; and as to perfection among man or in creation in general, God Alone can declare who is perfect, a perfection that is under The Perfection of God. Let me share something with you about The Authority of God. God is the One, Alone Who can dissolve a relation that man sees as permanent. Example; By the disobedience of the son of Prophet Noah [AS], God says that son is not from the 'family' of Noah. End of that relationship.

God made Muhammad [SA] the last of Messengers and Prophets and preserves the revelation unchanged. God says that He took An Oath from the prophets [AS] telling them that they support "The Messenger" [SA], if he comes in their prophetic time. They all were bounded under the Oath. No wonder it was stated in the Bible as {another Comforter] by Jesus, similar to what is stated in verse 6 of chapter 61 verse 6 of the Quran [Ahmad] mentioned by Isa bin Maryam [AS] to the children of Israil.

Allah says some prophets [AS] He honors [elevated] above others. People of knowledge say the one honored in the story of the old told to Muhammad [SA] was [Enoch] Idris [AS] on the 3rd heaven, whose soul was taken in heaven, while [Jesus] Isa bin Maryam [AS] is in 2nd heaven with his cousin [John] Yahya bin Zakariaya [AS].

@usermane and those responding to him, in support or otherwise; "Frowning and turning away" his face from a blind man who couldn't see it is not offensive to the blind man. After all, he couldn't see the 'speech'. If he [AS] had verbalized it, that will be another matter. A deaf man who you speak with anger to with a "grin" on your face may just laugh with you since he can only read your voice but can't hear you. it is the same blind man [RA] the prophet [SA] says by his interaction my Lord remembers me [Although he is the one revelation is coming to day and night, the one Allah mentions his excellent quality to the angels so much so the angel of the mountain commends his not allowing him to destroy Taif, the same prophet [SA] who appointed the blind companion [RA] a governor of a major city]. I remember a friend saying as long as his wife shows 'happiness' in honoring him in his presence, whatever she says of "yinmu" behind him, he is not aware of it.

Allah {SWT} used the Prophet [SA] to teach us, correcting us by what you think are faults of the Messenger [SA]. as illustration of what i mean, correction of mistakes in salat upon making it up, is 2 prostrations before you teslim out. I hope you practice this sunnah?

you seem to criticize the Messenger [SA] and by extension, you might have criticized The One Who sent him [SA]. May Allah help us all and forgive us. Amin.

33:37: Malaika Jibril [as] already told Muhammad [SA] about the event of him marrying Zaynab [RA], his cousin he married to his adopted son, Zayd [RA]. everyone can understand what a situation he is dealing with; the opinion of the public since adoption was still in effect, meaning there is father and son relationship between them. it is misunderstanding to assume that the prophet [SA] harbors, secretly desire for Zaynab, who if he wanted could have married her when she was a virgin and not marry her to Zayd, paying the dowry as father of the groom. Allah dissolved adoption by the event in the household of the prophet, similar to how Allah made interest forbidden by using the Uncle of the prophet, Abass [RA] who was into lending money. it his interest taking that the prophet said its under my foot to mean he can not receive it if you owe him. you pay only what you owe. In this case, if the prophet's uncle can't receive interest, automatically, it covers everyone. in dissolving adoption by the marriage of Zaynab [RA], no adoption is valid. And God says in 33.38 that the messenger [SA] is not to be in DISCOMFORT by what Allah IMPOSED upon him. And in 33.40 that Muhammad [SA] is not the father of any of the 'men'.

40;55; I didn't see any wrong committed, unless you can point out the wrongs for us?. And Allah has the absolute Right to tell His Messenger to seek forgiveness, in spite of no sin committed, so that it is example to us that we should not be tired or weary of seeking forgiveness. Obedience is worship. When commanded, the slaves obey, willingly. And the chief slave [SA] is the first to obey so that all of us are not arrogant. When Allah says is 33 verse 1 that the Prophet [SA] should fear/be God conscious, it does not mean he was not the one that is most firm on it. He was our example and his obedience is sure pattern for us to follow, with complaining like [but i did not commit any sin and i am God conscious, already. . .].

66:1: is this a sin in your eyes? made lawful simply means you can do it. it does not mean, up to that point that you must do it. additional command must come to make it not just lawful but duty bound that you must do it, now. i dont eat ikokore, tuwo, gbegiri, lamb, turkey and some other. i just dont eat them, while they are not forbidden. this is not sinful. However, if it is made compulsory, then refusing is sinful.

how do you arrive at 2 rakat for salatul subh, since you dont have sunnah, hadith as part of your belief? what do you think Allah means by accept what Muhammad [SA] gives you? if you love Allah follow Muhammad [SA]? You have an excellent example in Muhammad [SA]?

the Quran in arabic is the Quran. Allah says it, in the Quran itself. The prophet [SA] demonstrated it. The companions [RA] followed it. The 2 generations that came after the companions [ra] it. Everyone, in Islam remains and kept this tradition; the nuclear engieers, the doctors, the lawyers, the philosophers, arabs or no arabs. You can't recite Quran in salat in other language. The order is the order. It is binding on all muslims. Besides, it is easy to memorize if the heart is in it.

finally, Quran in arabic is loosely similar to speech when you are giving lecture, when other forms of communication [like writing on a chalk board when there is none, but a good audio system [mic and speakers are set up for it], is inadequate. Obedience goes a long way. When the obedience is 'willingly', thats the faith.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Akindarchi(m): 6:17am On Nov 18, 2013
For the qUestion about the wisdom behind Sending an unlettered prophet with the message........something I have heard some scholarS say that if he had been able to read pple up till this day wud be doubting his credibilty, thinking he was reading the things he said from a past scripture. Allah knows best
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 7:01am On Nov 18, 2013
RoyPCain:
@usermane and those responding to him, in support or otherwise; "Frowning and turning away" his face from a blind man who couldn't see it is not offensive to the blind man. After all, he couldn't see the 'speech'. If he [AS] had verbalized it, that will be another matter. A deaf man who you speak with anger to with a "grin" on your face may just laugh with you since he can only read your voice but can't hear you. it is the same blind man [RA] the prophet [SA] says by his interaction my Lord remembers me [Although he is the one revelation is coming to day and night, the one Allah mentions his excellent quality to the angels so much so the angel of the mountain commends his not allowing him to destroy Taif, the same prophet [SA] who appointed the blind companion [RA] a governor of a major city]. I remember a friend saying as long as his wife shows 'happiness' in honoring him in his presence, whatever she says of "yinmu" behind him, he is not aware of it.
c'mon bros bros read your post above again and tell me thats not hypocrisy (can you tell us the meaning of hypocrisy bros plss)... so if i talk bad thing at your back am not doing the wrong thing since am not saying it in your front (according to your logic undecided cry cry)....so since the blind man cant see it is acceptable to have different form of negative body disposition towards him abi? kei what kind of backward reasoning is this my god

***NO ONE IS TALKING DOWN THE GREATNESS OF THE PROPHET, WHAT WE ARE SAYING IS THAT HE IS BUT A MAN AND NOT PERFECT...ONLY GOD IS PERFECT(WHAT AM I TALKING SEF PERFECTION IS HUMAN LANGUAGE, GOD IS BEYOUND PERFECTION AND IMPERFECTION)

RoyPCain:
Allah {SWT} used the Prophet [SA] to teach us, correcting us by what you think are faults of the Messenger [SA]. as illustration of what i mean, correction of mistakes in salat upon making it up, is 2 prostrations before you teslim out. I hope you practice this sunnah?

you seem to criticize the Messenger [SA] and by extension, you might have criticized The One Who sent him [SA]. May Allah help us all and forgive us. Amin.

no one is criticizing Him, we are simply upholding what is already in the Quran, it is you and your type that is criticizing the Duran and god by bringing in your own interpretation very far different what the Book says so u could satisfy your big man ego of our prophet is totally perfect and without fault (it nothing more than EGO PUMPING on your part)
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usisky(m): 7:13am On Nov 18, 2013
Akin d archi: For the qUestion about the wisdom behind Sending an unlettered prophet with the message........something I have heard some scholarS say that if he had been able to read pple up till this day wud be doubting his credibilty, thinking he was reading the things he said from a past scripture. Allah knows best

[size=13pt]
Peace Sir.

If this were the wisdom/logic, one might then ask why God did not appoint illiterate prophets to convey His earlier scriptures
so that the same rule will apply?

You see, if you follow the teachings of scholars, you'll end up a sheep unable to think for himself. Like i said to Al-Baqir, the scholars
invented this idea to make it seem the prophet couldn't possibly have invented the quran when people started questioning the
veracity of the quran years after the death of the prophet.

The word UMMY, which they incorrectly translate as unlettered in the quran simply means a gentile(one who neither followed the
Torah or Gospel). Take a look at the following difference between YUSUF ALI translation and that of PICKHTALL of verse 3:75.

[3:75]........That is because they say: We have no duty to the Gentiles(ummyyeena). They speak a lie concerning Allah
knowingly.[Pickhtall]

[3:75].........they say, "there is no call on us [to keep faith] with these ignorant [Pagans](ummyyeena)." but they tell a lie against Allah, and [well] they know it.

Can you spot the difference? Pickhtall translates the verse correctly on this occasion because it wouldn't make any sense translating it
as unlettered/illiterate. while in other instances, pickhtall translates same word as illiterate. why? As for yusuf ali, his translation exposes
a clear distortion if we contrast it with his other translations of same word.
[/size]
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 7:55am On Nov 18, 2013
usisky:

[size=13pt]
Peace Sir.

If this were the wisdom/logic, one might then ask why God did not appoint illiterate prophets to convey His earlier scriptures
so that the same rule will apply?

You see, if you follow the teachings of scholars, you'll end up a sheep unable to think for himself. Like i said to Al-Baqir, the scholars
invented this idea to make it seem the prophet couldn't possibly have invented the quran when people started questioning the
veracity of the quran years after the death of the prophet.

The word UMMY, which they incorrectly translate as unlettered in the quran simply means a gentile(one who neither followed the
Torah or Gospel). Take a look at the following difference between YUSUF ALI translation and that of PICKHTALL of verse 3:75.

[3:75]........That is because they say: We have no duty to the Gentiles(ummyyeena). They speak a lie concerning Allah
knowingly.[Pickhtall]

[3:75].........they say, "there is no call on us [to keep faith] with these ignorant [Pagans](ummyyeena)." but they tell a lie against Allah, and [well] they know it.

Can you spot the difference? Pickhtall translates the verse correctly on this occasion because it wouldn't make any sense translating it
as unlettered/illiterate. while in other instances, pickhtall translates same word as illiterate. why? As for yusuf ali, his translation exposes
a clear distortion if we contrast it with his other translations of same word.
[/size]

bros dont mind them...any averagely intelligent being will know that Prophet is no where being an illiterate (i dont need any quote to figure that out...the intellect bestowed on me by god is enough to do that job for me)... someone is an illiterate yet he handled businesses for a woman who was business guru (to the extent that she later handed over everything to him), someone is called an illustrate yet he was tagged the righteous one by the very people that called him illiterate (isnt that oxymoron)...it eventually begged the question "what is the definition of illiteracy".....
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by lafex: 8:07am On Nov 18, 2013
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Akindarchi(m): 9:55am On Nov 18, 2013
Well I think no matter what the prophet's qualities were people like u guys wud complain, u might as well have asked y Allah had to make him an orphan. What Allah does is His business, we can only with our limited intellect try to see reason in it
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by AlBaqir(m): 11:07am On Nov 18, 2013
usisky: [size=13pt]
Peace once more Mr. Al-Baqir.
[/size]

[size=13pt]
Sorry about that. Next time i will use your exact wording and not paraphrase you.
[/size]

[size=13pt]
yes! Inability to read or write does not reflect one's level of intelligence. On the contrary, i think one who cannot read or write
is still unlettered/illiterate in the art of reading and writing. So, if indeed this was the case for Muhammad as your post suggests(he could
neither read or write), then, i think the claims of those who say he was unlettered is not far fetched. No?
[/size]

[size=13pt]
We'll still get to this point later on. Like i said, let's go a step at a time. I will prove to you that his assertions are correct.
[/size]

[size=13pt]
I am glad you pointed this out. That was exactly where i was driving at. This is my first time hearing ANY muslim(Sunni or Shi'ah)
agreeing on this interpretation; quite commendable, thank you. However, i think you just RESEARCHED this before responding my
post, and that is why your research contradicts your initial statement. Here:
[/size]

Your initial statement:

[size=13pt]
You state here that the word 'UMMY' as used in the quran means one who cannot read or write. Your words in parenthesis
concurs with my allusion.
[/size]

Contradiction:

[size=13pt]
The underlined statement above suggests that you agree that in quranic terminology, the word UMMY thus refers to a gentile(one who
neither followed the Torah or Gospel). In fact, this is the true meaning of the word as intended by the author of the quran. Aside the
fact that you contradicted your initial statement, i fear in addition, you also contradict the vast majority of muslims(sunni or shi'i)
who believe the prophet was unlettered. As such, the quranic word they claim to have this connotation is UMMY. Thank you for
helping me debunk this misconception.

The word UMMY never meant an illiterate/unlettered. This later meaning was invented by muslim scholars years after the death
of the Prophet. This can easily be exposed in the light of the quran. If the word meant as they claimed, then it must be
used consistently in the translations. But just like you have observed, some verses that used the word UMMY would utterly
be rendered meaningless if translated as illiterate. I will use YUSUF ALI tranlation to show you this inconsistency in translation:

[2:78]And there are among them illiterates(ummyyuuna), who know not the Book, but [see therein their own] desires, and they do nothing conjecture.

[3:75].........they say, "there is no call on us [to keep faith] with these ignorant [Pagans]((ummyyeena )." but they tell a lie against Allah, and [well] they know it.

[62:2]It is He Who has sent amongst the Unlettered(ummyyeena) a messenger from among themselves, to rehearse to them His Signs..................

Why did YUSUF ALI translate 3:75 which uses same word(ummyyeena) as 62:2 to mean two different things. The distortion in obvious.
Translating 'ummy' in 3:75 as unlettered would render the verse meaningless, hence the reason ALI chose a different meaning.

Look at 62:2. Does this translation make any sense? Were the Arabs whom Muhammad was raised amongst unlettered? It's clear that this word ummy in the verse refers to gentiles(those who did not follow the Torah or Gospel).

AGAIN:

a- why do you think God appointed a man who can neither read nor write to deliver the final testament to humanity?

b-how did he ascertain that what the scribes penned down tallied with the exact words and letters revealed to him by GOD since he could
neither read or write as you claim?

c-can you adduce any evidence from the quran to support your claim?

d- what do you make of the following verse:
[25:5] They also said, "Tales from the past that he wrote down; they were dictated to him day and night."
[/size]

Dear brother,
Honestly I admire your philosophical way of reasoning.

"Illiteracy": inability to Read or write. In a conventional sense, people believe (as you are) that kind of a person is a 'fool or unintelligent or ignorant'. But that's not necessarily so. The first person to write was Idris (Enoch). How many intellectually sound prophets or individuals have passed before him who does not display reading or writing! Reading or writing does not depict intelligence. Contemplation, deep thinking, et al are the foundation of intelligence.

Writing is just the product of one's thought.

Qur'an talks about Adam's high level of intelligence and knowledge that even surpass that of the angels but there's no single evidence that he wrote not to mention of reading.

NB: God is the bestower of Knowledge and He taught the use of pen (writing) and reading (sura Alaq).

With or without all these assertion, I DO NOT believe or subscribe as A SHI'A muslim that the holy prophet (saws) could not read or write although major historian argue he did not display such act publicly therefore, "they thought and concluded he cannot". In fact to the contrary I believe he can read and write (according to many shi'i narration, he can read and write in different languages. Such is the blessing he received from his Lord).

Many scholars used to argue with this verse to support their view that he (saws) was an "illiterate":

"And you did not READ any books before this nor could you WRITE it with your hands. If it were so, the follower of falsehood would have doubted you"~Sura Ankabut vs 48

To me this verse is only proving the absolute that Qur'an is not Muhammad's formulation. And doesnot meant that he cannot read or write.

For a glimpse of Shi'a believe in the literacy of the holy prophet (saws), you can read this page (though I intended to give you a link of Syed Ammar Nakhshawani's lecture on this subject. Unfortunately I couldn't):

ahlubait./2010/02/01/was-holy-prophet-asws-illiterate/

I have so many bag-logs of controversial issues already with many Sunni on this forum. Adding this which is actually alien to them might result into criticism and abuse. I remember I challenged MacLatunji one time when he assert the holy prophet was an illiterate but he could not go further on it. (www.nairaland.com/1474192/significance-eid-ul-kabir/2)

As per Abdullah Yusuf Ali, I admire his translation a lot but its not an hallmark. I compare different translations because each individual translate according to his best usage of the language and many a times each belief of the translator reflect in his translation.

Lastly, there's no need of going through your questions again.

Thanks for your time.

Salam
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Nobody: 2:52pm On Nov 18, 2013
@beejaay:
by beejaay: 7:01am

RoyPCain:

c'mon bros bros read your post above again and tell me thats not hypocrisy (can you tell us the meaning of hypocrisy bros plss)... so if i talk bad thing at your back am not doing the wrong thing since am not saying it in your front (according to your logic undecided cry cry)....so since the blind man cant see it is acceptable to have different form of negative body disposition towards him abi? kei what kind of backward reasoning is this my god

***NO ONE IS TALKING DOWN THE GREATNESS OF THE PROPHET, WHAT WE ARE SAYING IS THAT HE IS BUT A MAN AND NOT PERFECT...ONLY GOD IS PERFECT(WHAT AM I TALKING SEF PERFECTION IS HUMAN LANGUAGE, GOD IS BEYOUND PERFECTION AND IMPERFECTION)
are you muslim? i thought about what i wrote, before i did, during my writing it and after it was posted. i though about it hard and long and i reread it many times, today. I do not find any exaggeration of the position of the prophet [SA] and their is no reason for me, personally to diminish his status, too. again, there is no hypocrisy if i am busy in the next room and i do not answer you when you called me. If I decide to close my eyes when i hear your footsteps coming to check on me, i am within my personal right of expressing that i am not tolerating your nuisance saying it in words because of my not talking, by sight because you my eyes closed when you approached where i was. this is decency, super civility. There is no hypocrisy in it but i know that I am on a very important mission and you may not know it and that you must wait till i accomplished my objective. i didnt insult you by my action so there is no insult on your person from me. i could finish and then attend to you. Allah decide to effectuate the change of objective of the prophet [SA] by immediately making him attend to the blind companion [RA]. that is not because the prophet was sinful by it, but Order of Allah and His Decision must be accomplished, on time. You can say you submitted to the Decision of Allah about Quran, yet criticize the one He gave the Quran to.

RoyPCain:

no one is criticizing Him, we are simply upholding what is already in the Quran, it is you and your type that is criticizing the Duran and god by bringing in your own interpretation very far different what the Book says so u could satisfy your big man ego of our prophet is totally perfect and without fault (it nothing more than EGO PUMPING on your part)
criticizing the Duran? Whats that? i have no ego. at least, not when i come to Islam. Allah says in the Quran that people must think. I have looked at the the situation of the "He frowned and turn away" and i have concluded that since Allah did not make it a sinful act, there is a lesson for me in it. One of the lessons is not to assume. My wife corrected me about that too, last evening. the thoughts in the heart of humans, Only God knows it. no one denies that the prophet [SA] is a human. we all know that. Allah describe Jesus [AS] as 'faultless'. I am aware of a grave 'fault' of the prophet {SA} except that Allah uses it to teach us a lesson.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Nobody: 9:59pm On Nov 18, 2013
@ al baqir are you telling me that there is hidden knowledge in islam. What abt the verse in Q5 vs 3. Prophet muhammad statement that Allah bear witness that he has delivered the message. By the way, tafsir and ta'wel are used interchangably by early scholars but were used wrongly by devaint sects to promote their ideas
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by AbuuUthaymeen(m): 10:39am On Aug 03, 2014
vedaxcool: The op was used and now has been dumped, the same people who tolerated his thread for this long did so not because they are interested in learning anything about Islam but simply because it mainly conveys what they want to hear, had this thread been about why you should be a muslim or Muhammad pbuh , this thread would have been thrown within few seconds of its arrival, why? Allah says,

They intend to put out the Light of Allaah (i.e. the religion of Islam, this Qur’aan, and Prophet Muhammad) with their mouths. But Allaah will bring His Light to perfection even though the disbelievers hate (it).

He it is Who has sent His Messenger (Muhammad) with guidance and the religion of truth (Islamic Monotheism) to make it victorious over all (other) religions even though the Mushrikoon (polytheists, pagans, idolaters, and disbelievers in the Oneness of Allaah and in His Messenger Muhammad) hate (it)
”[al-Saff :8-9]
1000+likes

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Empiree: 12:19pm On Aug 03, 2014
golpen: usermane

He's a confused fellow. Tricky, trying to be smart guy. I was taking my time to study exactly what he's really up to. I just came across this thread where i notice his post saying he detest the tag "Muslim". But in Sura Hajj vs 78 Allah named us Muslims. He sounds like one of those ibn Shaitan. Clearly from his latest activities, he has problem with Muslims, Arabs, Arabic Quran etc
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 6:54am On Aug 06, 2014
Empiree:
Clearly from his latest activities, he has problem with Muslims, Arabs, Arabic Quran etc
Wrong fella, you have a problem with critics or reformists.

It is you who call me names
Empiree: He sounds like one of those ibn Shaitan.

It is you who have been picking my words out of context.
Empiree:
I just came across this thread where i notice his post saying he detest the tag "Muslim".

And calling on your ummah against me.

Empiree: He's a confused fellow. Tricky, trying to be smart guy.

Fella, i used to be an orthodox muslim, not so hardcore but often taking steps to keep the "sunnah" untill my life too a drastic turn last year.

Fella, if being a muslim or keeping the sunnah entails:

1. Killing apostates and blasphemers.
2. Seeking intercession of Muhammad.
3. Freely preaching 'Islam' in Secular states while prohibiting preaching of other faiths in Sharia states.
4. Barring mixed gender relations while condoning marriages of Grandpas to prepubscent girls.
5. And so many baseless and anti Quranic doctrines, philosophies or ideals that have bound most muslims in self righteous backwardness;

Then i throw in the towel.

Fella, if you don't know me now, you might never do. Remember, based on certain criteria, i still term myself as "muslim" except that am no longer orthodox anymore.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Empiree: 10:31am On Aug 06, 2014
usermane:
you have a problem with critics or reformists.

[s]It is you who have been picking my words out of context.[/s]

And calling on your ummah against me. So?

Fella, i used to be an orthodox muslim, not so hardcore but often taking steps to keep the "sunnah" untill my life too a drastic turn last year.
Fella, if being a muslim or keeping the sunnah entails:

[s]1. Killing apostates and blasphemers.
2. Seeking intercession of Muhammad.
3. Freely preaching 'Islam' in Secular states while prohibiting preaching of other faiths in Sharia states.
4. Barring mixed gender relations while condoning marriages of Grandpas to prepubscent girls.
5. And so many baseless and anti Quranic doctrines, philosophies or ideals that have bound most muslims in self righteous backwardness;[/s]

Fella, if you don't know me now, you might never do. Remember, based on certain criteria, i still term myself as "muslim" except that am no longer orthodox anymore.

Sorry, my post was not meant for you. but since you chose to reply, i will be brief. I intended to detail but changed my mind.

You already broke my heart. I have tested you but you failed. At this point, it's safe to say frosbel is better than you. If i want to have a friend with someone or people(online or offline), i test them with Palestinian plights to see how they react. You failed. So why should i talk to you. I do not fraternize with anyone who support rogue State. It's haram to make friendly ties with fasiq. And since you dont recognize oppression in the Holy Land, what's the point of talking to you. Like i said, i was going to detail everything i know about you, how you got it wrong and what you need to do but you sure have problems but you perceived it not.

Your #1 solution is METHODOLOGY. You lack that. That's why you go on loose rant. When i notice changes in you i will respond appropriately.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by vedaxcool(m): 8:19am On Aug 07, 2014
^
He recently, immediately after NL blackout claimed he is neither a muslim nor christians, in the complaint but unfortunately it was hidden. In suratul barqara the unbelievers asked. . . Shall we believe as the fools did? Allah says "of surety they are the fools, but they do not know. In essence this sort of behavior isn't new, when one wants to fool people he might succeed but at the end he remains the biggest of fool because he is fooling himself!

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by freshp(m): 11:14pm On Aug 09, 2014
vedaxcool: ^
He recently, immediately after NL blackout claimed he is neither a muslim nor christians, in the complaint but unfortunately it was hidden. In suratul barqara the unbelievers asked. . . Shall we believe as the fools did? Allah says "of surety they are the fools, but they do not know. In essence this sort of behavior isn't new, when one wants to fool people he might succeed but at the end he remains the biggest of fool because he is fooling himself!
How do you mean please.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ruling On Trading In Currencies / Has Any Muslim Had A Journey From Islam To Atheism And Back To Islam? / In Times Of Calamity, People Divide Into Four Levels – Shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.