Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,112 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims (8369 Views)

Top 12 Misconceptions About Islam / Top TEN Misconceptions About ISLAM / Ramad-amnesia, A Contagious Disease Among Muslims. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 2:58pm On Oct 26, 2013
babestell: shocked
@ OP, well written article. - hope you are ready for the forthcoming onslaught ie if the mods don't hide this thread. Mosy of the comments you made also apply to other religions in their own context.

Good. Babestell, thanks for the complement. Am glad you took your time with this.
There shouldn't be any hidding of thread or onslaught. My posts are not offensive to any religion.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 26, 2013
Why is this topic not in the Islamic section? U should be talking to Muslims who are misunderstanding their religion and not those who have no use of it.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:19pm On Oct 26, 2013
Mee234: Why is this topic not in the Islamic section? U should be talking to Muslims who are misunderstanding their religion and not those who have no use of it.

I thought quite as much. But from my prologue, i said this was useful for even non muslims. I believe there are just some misconceptions among muslims that some non muslims can't deal with because muslims and non muslims tend to interact, in family in friendship, in work place e.t.c.

Again, the muslims and non muslims can access the thread easier in this section than in the Islam for Muslim section.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 26, 2013
usermane:

I thought quite as much. But from my prologue, i said this was useful for even non muslims. I believe there are just some misconceptions among muslims that some non muslims can't deal with because muslims and non muslims tend to interact, in family in friendship, in work place e.t.c.

Again, the muslims and non muslims can access the thread easier in this section than in the Islam for Muslim section.

Great work wink

Are you a muslim?
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:51pm On Oct 26, 2013
Logicboy03:

Great work wink

Are you a muslim?

Aww! I have a problem with the word "muslim". U might have observed this if u read misconception 05. With the general stigma on the word; 'muslim', lets just say i am someone who accepted the Qur'an.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 26, 2013
usermane:

Don't get me wrong it is a nice work but after going through it I think the Muslims should be the ones learning about what is wrong about Islam. If Christians hold any view about ialam, it is that it is a false religion and the atheist view is even worse.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 4:15pm On Oct 26, 2013
Mee234:
Don't get me wrong it is a nice work but after going through it I think the Muslims should be the ones learning about what is wrong about Islam. If Christians hold any view about ialam, it is that it is a false religion and the atheist view is even worse.

There you are again. Most christians may say Islam is a false religion, and that is understandable considering what 'muslims' have done with Islam so far. I believe the 'muslims' are the problem with Islam. But you 'll agree with me that there are non muslims considering embracing Islam and this could be of high value to them. Regardless, this is not hidden from the muslims and they are most welcome to the thread
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 2:10am On Oct 27, 2013
One thing about the real world is that nothing is just black and white.
A lot of persons live a life of misery due to their inability to see things beyond the face value.
And the face value is never a substitute for truth. Face value is the societies' construction, the societies' preferences. Face value could be painted or rusted.
Rather,trust in the Real value.
The Real value is truth
The real value is untouchable and like iron from iron ore, it requires extraction and separation from the surrounding impurities.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by tbaba1234: 7:13am On Oct 27, 2013
Salam,

I am writing this with the hope that you are willing to listen and revert. What you have written show a lack of education in the Islamic sciences with all due respect and it is not necessarily your fault. I am writing so that you do not misinform people unknowingly.

Hopefully, with the evidence provided you will change some of these ill-advised views and i would also acknowledge the ones that are correct.

You should not be concerned about pleasing people, you must be concerned about the truth. I was going to send a private message but i think it is important for others to see this as well so please forgive me for that.

You seem to have stated your personal opinions with very little evidences.

i. ISLAMIC NAMES : mostly incorrect and i use my word very carefully. Let's start with something correct.

A convert to Islam do not have to change their names unless it has a meaning that is not good. One of my imams was named charles. I have muslim friends with names like Joel, etc...

The messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) did change the names of some new muslims in cases where the names have bad meanings.
For Instance:

i. 'Asiya (Disobedient) to Jamila (Beautiful)

Ibn 'Umar reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) changed the name of 'Asiya (Disobedient) and said: You are Jamila (i. e. good and handsome). Ahmad (one of the narrators) narrated it with a slight variation of wording. Muslim :: Book 25 : Hadith 5332

ii. Abdul-Shams (Slave of the sun) to Abdul-Rahman (Slave of the Merciful God) - Abu Hurairah

There are some other examples:

Narrated AbuWahb, Hazn ibn AbuWahb:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) asked: What is your name? He replied: Hazn (rugged). He said: You are Sahl (smooth). He said: No, smooth is trodden upon and disgraced. Sa'id said: I then thought that ruggedness would remain among us after it. AbuDawud said: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) changed the names al-'As, Aziz, Atalah, Shaytan, al-Hakam, Ghurab, Hubab, and Shihab and called him Hisham.

He changed the name Harb (war) and called him Silm (peace).

He changed the name al-Munba'ith (one who lies) and called him al-Mudtaji' (one who stands up).
He changed the name of a land Afrah (barren) and called it Khadrah (green).
He changed the name Shi'b ad-Dalalah (the mountain path of a stray), the name of a mountain path and called it Shi'b al-Huda (mountain path of guidance).
He changed the name Banu az-Zinyah (children of fornication) and called them Banu ar-Rushdah (children of those who are on the right path),
and changed the name Banu Mughwiyah (children of a woman who allures and goes astray), and called them Banu Rushdah (children of a woman who is on the right path).
AbuDawud said: I omitted the chains of these for the sake of brevity. ( Dawud :: Book 41 : Hadith 4938 )

Therefore if the names does not have a bad meaning then it doesn't matter. You do not have to change to an Arabic name but the Arabic is very important. Trust me, you have no clue what is lost in translation. Translations only give you something of the meaning. A feel of the meaning.

As regards the name Allah..

First of all, the Quran is only the Quran in Arabic... Your english translation is not your Quran.

Alif Lam Ra These are the verses of the Scripture that makes things clear––We have sent it down as an Arabic Quran [/b]so that you [people] may understand. (Surah 12:1-2)

An Arabic Quran...

[b]So We have sent down the Quran to give judgement in the Arabic language.
If you were to follow their desires, after the knowledge that has come to you, you would have no one to guard you or protect you from God. (Surah 13:37)

We have sent the Quran down in the Arabic tongue and given all kinds of warnings in it, so that they may beware or take heed– (Surah 20:113)

Truly, this Quran has been sent down by the Lord of the alamin: the Trustworthy Spirit brought it down to your heart [Prophet], so that you could bring warning in a clear Arabic tongue. (Surah 26:192-195)

I could go on and on,... Fact: the Quran is in Arabic, not in english or spanish or french...

So you might ask, but we have translations right?? Translations should do right??

Well, not quite.. Actually translations do not even begin to capture the Quran..

Just one word: Al rahman

Let's see what the translations say:

Picktall: The Beneficent
Yusuf Ali: Most Gracious
Abdul Dayabadi: The Compassionate
Dr Mohsin:The Most Gracious
Mufti Taqi Ismali: The All merciful

All of these only give you a very shallow hint but do not tell you what it means... Not really..

What does it actually mean?

Ar rahman and Ar rahim carry the attribute of mercy ; They both come from the root word ‘rahma’ which means mercy… So how did the ancient arab understand ‘rahma’.

To give us an understanding of how the ancient arab understood mercy, another word derived from rahma is rahem which means ‘womb’.

A child is in the womb of the mother:
- His rent is paid
- The food is covered
- All its needs are covered

He has no need for anything, the mum takes care of every issue. He is immersed in mercy..
- The baby kicks and punches
- The baby makes the mum puke
- The baby consumes all the food of the mum
- It invades the mother’s space..

Mercy to the ancient arab is when you are completely engulfed and taken care of from every angle, The ancient arab definition of mercy is what a mum does for her child… In the English language, we define mercy as been forgiven but this is not what the Quran is saying

So Ar rahman and Ar Rahim both have to do with mercy ..

Ar rahman has 3 main qualities…

1. It means extremely merciful, unimaginably merciful, incredibly merciful, extraordinarily merciful... I think you get the idea….

2. That extreme mercy is taking place right now…. At this very moment, that mercy is being exhibited…

To help you understand this, let me give an illustration :

If i say, my sister is kind to someone.. Does it mean she is exhibiting it right now? At this very point… Not neccessrily right now.. I just described an attribute of hers…

It is inadequate to translate Ar rahman as ‘ the extremely merciful’ because it does not incorporate the attribute of being merciful ‘right now’.

A more accurate translation of

Ar rahman – The one that is being extremely merciful (right now)

3. The third quality is the most scary quality, Ar rahman indicates transience… temporary.

I will explain, words similar to Ar rahman (carry the same quality) in the Arabic language include thirsty, angry, hungry… they are temporary..

In order to end thirst - You need water

In order to end hunger – you need food

For anger- something happens that take the anger away….

So although Allah is extremely merciful right now, We could do something that takes that mercy away… That is scary…..

Now does any english translation convey the above?
English is grossly insufficient to describe in one word.

A lesson in semetic languages

Ignorantly, you mention that the name Allah is not in the scriptures.. What you do not seem to understand is that semetic languages have similar letters and roots and that Allah is simply Elohim in hebrew without the plural 'im'.

Linguistically, the Arabic "Allah" or "Al-Ilahi'' is related to the Hebrew "El-Elohim" (Used in the Hebrew bible for God) , meaning "God of Gods" or "the God". (both semetic languages) ((A) Toombs LE (1971). B) Schonfield HJ (1967). )

The similarity between the Arabic "Al-Ilahi" and ‘El Elohim’ can be seen when one examines both languages closely. There are no vowels alphabets in both languages.

So for the English transliteration, The Arabic becomes "AI -Ilh" and the Hebrew becomes "El-Elhm" when vowels are removed. If the plural of respect is removed, the Arabic remains "AI-Ilh", while the Hebrew becomes "EI-Elh".

Finally, if one were to transliterate all Arabic "Alifs" as "a", and all Hebrew "Alifs" as "a", the Arabic becomes "AI-Alh'.' and the Hebrew becomes "AI-Alh".

This means that the only thing separating Al –Ilah (From which Allah comes) and El-Elohim is the plural of respect. (Dr Jerald Dirks,(2001))

The Quran is only in Arabic. The name Allah is that name in Arabic. That same name that has existed in what is left of previous scriptures. God was invented how many years ago?? Whilst we can use our local names for God. The name the creator chose in his Arabic revelation is Allah.

More to come if i have the time.

12 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 27, 2013
tbaba1234: Salam,

I am writing this with the hope that you are willing to listen and revert. What you have written show a lack of education in the Islamic sciences with all due respect and it is not necessarily your fault. I am writing so that you do not misinform people unknowingly.

Lol......stopped reading at bold.

Furthermore, you muslims fail to realise that people are turned of when you start telling us to understand Arabic.

Many of us that have a christian backgorund didnt need a knowledge of Hebrew or Greek to understand the message of the bible. Even my hispanic and asian friends understand the bible in their local language without Hebrew.

You seem to be selling Arab culture

5 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by tbaba1234: 7:49am On Oct 27, 2013
Logicboy03:
Lol......stopped reading at bold.

Furthermore, you muslims fail to realise that people are turned of when you start telling us to understand Arabic.

Many of us that have a christian backgorund didnt need a knowledge of Hebrew or Greek to understand the message of the bible. Even my hispanic and asian friends understand the bible in their local language without Hebrew.

You seem to be selling Arab culture

All muslims do not have to learn arabic that is not feasible but those who learn the book are the ones qualified to teach.

Translations do offer the general message as well. Most muslims are not arabic speakers.

3 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by texbaba1: 7:57am On Oct 27, 2013
Being a christian, I like ur post. U see thers a lot of indoctrination in islam nd dats why thers extremism. Just like early catholism, indoctrination was rife but thanks to pple like luther, christianity is now more liberal nd accomodating. Ur post should enligthen muslims, deindoctrinate them nd free their minds from dogmas that is anti peaceful coexistence. Kudos to u.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Nobody: 7:58am On Oct 27, 2013
tbaba1234:

All muslims do not have to learn arabic that is not feasible but those who learn the book are the ones qualified to teach.

Translations do offer the general message as well. Most muslims are not arabic speakers.

Good.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Akindarchi(m): 9:01am On Oct 27, 2013
@Tbaba1234....very nice inputs, I only hope that the op is genuine and humble enough to reflect on your posts.
For those complaining about the no of rules in islam, that's just mercy from the Rabb(lord amongst other tins) that He made known to us what the limits are in EVERY thing we do to make us live a good life.
AS a similitude, if we were constantly aware of how many rules our bodies av just to keep us walking on two legs we wud realise ow important rules are. Sure engineers try to build robots to walk, but none can attain the fluidity of motion and grace of a human being... kissexcept its cyrax septor them them from mortal combat.... Allah knows best

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 9:37am On Oct 27, 2013
Akin d archi: @Tbaba1234....very nice inputs, I only hope that the op is genuine and humble enough to reflect on your posts.
For those complaining about the no of rules in islam, that's just mercy from the Rabb(lord amongst other tins) that He made known to us what the limits are in EVERY thing we do to make us live a good life.
AS a similitude, if we were constantly aware of how many rules our bodies av just to keep us walking on two legs we wud realise ow important rules are. Sure engineers try to build robots to walk, but none can attain the fluidity of motion and grace of a human being... kissexcept its cyrax septor them them from mortal combat.... Allah knows best

u guys are very funny... why cant you be genuine and humble enough to reflect on the op? no one has monopoly of knowledge and that exactly what op is trying to point us to... mayb u should relax and reflect from the beginning and u will see the hidden mystery.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 9:41am On Oct 27, 2013
usermane: 10.
ISLAMIC NAMES

Minor? But significant. To be fair and square, most muslims believe there is a terminology known as Islamic Names. Most times, you see parent giving their giving their babies such Musa, Amina e.t.c and feeling like a million. Convert to Islam are pressed to changed their original name to the so called Islamic names for better, for worse. Additionally they insist that the name of the Almighty Creator is "ALLAH" and "GOD, JEHOVAH OR LORD" musn't be used to replace "ALLAH", for any reason. If you are from missouri, you won't accept this dogma, be you muslim or not.

First and foremost, there is no such thing as Islamic names, and what most muslims are referring to are arabic names and not all arabic names have beautiful meanings. Let us flesh out the last sentence. For instance, the names of persons like messengers in the Qur'an does not refer to the original names but the names by which such persons were referred to by Arabs before Qur'an revealations. For instance Moses was called Moshes by GOD in the Torah,just as the isrealites know him. Jesus was called Yeshua by GOD in the Gospel, the name by which the isrealites knew him. Nowhere in GOD 's previous scriptures did HE call Moses or Jesus as Musa or Isa. So which ones is the Islamic names, the original hebrew names or the derived arabic names? Your answer should be non, no such thing as Islamic names.

Long before Qur'an, arab pagans,christians and Jews had such names as Aisha, Muhammad,Mustapha, Halimah e.t.c. Some of then embranced Islam without changing their names. Even today arab non Muslims still give themselves such names. There are fine non arabic names like Elizabeth(GOD is satisfaction) or Lois(Holy), with respectful meaning. Yet muslims reject them.

Our names are reflection of our different backgrounds and languages/tribes which is among GOD 's awesome sign(Qur'an 30:22). So why try mask GOD 's sign by discriminating against non arabic names or insisting all muslim chose arabic names
imagine people telling abubakar is better that opeyemi because abubakar is arabic... i was named rabiu (meaning four) when my middle name is abolaji (if not ignorance why will anyone name his/her child rabiu "four" when there are beautiful yoruba/hausa/igbo name over some arabic mumbo jumbo)...

this name issue was truely one of my first insight into the politics of the world religions

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 9:42am On Oct 27, 2013
usermane:

ISLAMIC CALENDAR

As if it has any Islamic or divine origin, some people call it Islamic calendar. The appropriate name is "arab lunar calendar". Ancient pagans, moon worshippers, and Jews used this calendar long before Qur'an revealation. The arab muslims didn't invent it. Even the month names have no divine or Islamic meaning. For instance "Muharram" mean "forbidden","Safar" mean "empty". These months were named after the weather or seasons of arabs at that time. History also imply that the ancient arabs even before Prophet Muhammad may have used the lunar or lunisolar calendars with the same month names as today arabs do.

Those who still insist that the current arab lunar calendar is GOD only 's chosen calendar should beware. The word "month" occured 12 times in the Qur'an and the word "day" occured 365 times. The arab and gregorian calendar have 12 months. The gregorian calendar has 365 days!This is a sign for the intelligent, this is not mere coincidence. The arab calendar, however has 354 days.

Some muslims will still call the arabic lunar calendar, the best or most accurate. This again has no justification. Moon sighting is a delicate process prone to errors.

u couldnt have said it any better
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 9:46am On Oct 27, 2013
usermane:
PROPHET MUHAMMAD WAS INFALLIBLE AND PERFECT

I hope you are not one of those who believe Prophet Muhammad was perfect,sinnless and had knowledge of the future beyond the Final testament. Else this post is yours. An educated acknowledger of GOD shouldn't follow such an erroneous conception. To compound the problem, there are those who even consider all his sahabas(friends/companions) as perfect infallible surbodinates who should be emulated,who learned and delivered accurately the truth, who the the prophet guaranteed success in Hereafter even before their death. Yet, according to Qur'an,there were bad eggs among these companions whose identity were never exposed. (Qur'an 9:101, 63:1,33:60)

We hear numerous things about the prophet. Like many muslim said he was sinnless,he didn't make mistakes in action or decision,all his deeds were divinely inspired, even his personal opinions were divine,binding upon all muslims. According to some, he smelt like perfume, he didn't have shadow, he had instant healing powers, he could bless or curse anyone.
Look at all these. Can these be true? We 'll soon know. In as much as GOD wants mankind, to obey HIS messenger, HE is fully aware that mankind have the tendency to cross the limit, setting the messenger as an idol. That is why GOD left down verses in HIS Book to guide.

this is nothing but plain truth but dont say this outside cos u might get ur arms twisted smiley we are all finite thats why we are humans, no one is infallible and no one cant make mistakes. it was after reading the Quran for the 3rd time that i finally figured this out. it is well documented in the Quran but i wonder how people dont see it even the so called mallams and alfas

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 9:47am On Oct 27, 2013
usermane:

Yes, Muhammad delivered a magnificient Book,the Final testament all alone to the whole of mankind. It was an enormous mission. GOD however did not exalt him over other messengers. Unike Muhammad :
Adam, GOD created without parents,GOD asked all the angels to prostrate before him(Qur'an 15:28-30). Yet GOD did not exalt him.
Abraham, GOD called HIS "Friend"(Qur'an 4:125),who was never an idolator(Qur'an 16:123). Yet GOD did not exalt Abraham.
Moses, GOD "spoke directly" to(Qur'an 4:164). Yet GOD didn't exalt him above others.
Jesus, GOD supported with extraordinary miracles, talk about his "birth",his life and even his "death" was miraculous(Qur'an 5:110-113). Again GOD never exalted Jesus above any messenger.

Infact GOD spoke about all his messengers in equal light. Why then do some muslims chose to exalt or give more distinction to Muhammad.

thank you bros, i have even gone beyound this level to know that no human being is better or greater than the other. we are equal in the sight of God

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 9:52am On Oct 27, 2013
usermane:
ONLY 'MUSLIMS' WILL INHERIT PARADISE

The definition that; Anyone who claim to believe in Qur'an is a Muslim is wrong. And the notion that ; 'only muslims will inherit Paradise' more wrong in the context of most speakers.
According to GOD, those who believe without setting up partners and are righteous the true muslims who will enter paradise.

Qur'an 2:62, 5:69
"Those who believe, and those who are Jews and Christians, who believes in GOD and ressurection and work righteousness, on them shall be no fear or grief".
This is the minimum requirement to inherit paradise.

The name 'muslim' is not restricted to those who accepted Qur'an. And that one accepted Qur'an doesn't automatically make him a 'muslim'. Before Abraham there were muslims among the people of Noah, Ad or Thalmud, they believed in GOD 's messengers but did not perform salat,zakat,fasting or pilgrimage, as they were not asked to. Some of them existed during the era of Abraham without performing the islamic rite because they were unable to confirm Abraham 's messengership. Such people who simply believe and are righteous, though un able to confirm other messages of GOD may still not be extinct. GOD is pleased with them all.
As with the above verses, even during Qur'an revealation GOD informs us that there existed Jews & Christians then who did not accept the Qur'an but were righteous monotheists. Yes, they might not have performed the Islamic rites because their forefathers had lost them but they are not disbelievers. Even today such Jews or Christians could still be found. All of them, GOD guarantee eternal life.

this is the greates misconception of all and there are verses in the Quran that clearly clear this issue, again i wonder why people dont see it.... the word "righteousness" is mentioned countless times in the Quran and how this set of people are the real muslims and righteousness has nothing to do with pillars of Islam unless the word righteousness means something else... the pillars are only a guide and help towards becoming righteous, the ultimate goal is righteousness and not the so called pillars (thats why its said that the only religion accepted in the sight of God is Islam) and what is Islam " Acquiring peace by surrendering to the will of God". what is the will of God "to become righteous"

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 9:54am On Oct 27, 2013
usermane:
MUSLIMS SHOULD BETTER SUPPLICATE IN ARABIC.

Most muslims pray to GOD in arabic,thinking arabic is the ideal language to get GOD 's quickest response. Some ask GOD for their need in their dialet then recite some verses(most without any relevance to supplication to GOD) of Arabic Qur'an or other arabic words[(du'as)(heedless of the meanings)]. Such du'as can be found in several books indicating specific arabic du'as for specific wants,that muslims in one sitting recite hundred to thousand times. Some muslim wrongly believe these du'as are 'magic words', GOD prefer and instantly respond to. Some muslims even write on slate, Qur'an verses or those arabic du'as, wash the ink in a container and consume to heal them of illness.

This huge misconception discourages one from supplicating to GOD in one 's language,words or manners. At times it doesn't make sense. Read the meaning of Chapter 112, for instance, which muslims love to recite in their supplication. You will observe that it has nothing to do with supplication to GOD.

Somehow, this whole 'prayer' must better be in arabic is an illusion. And there are no such thing as 'special magic words' or specific du'as that exclusively guarantees instant grant of one request.

the funniest thing is people just recite things that they dont understand and they will even cram it.. what is the use of saying something u dont understand, of what benefit is it??

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 10:02am On Oct 27, 2013
usermane:
The ummayads and abbasids who took over the Islamic state after the prophet 's death were more concerned with power and wealth than the Islam. Islam during that period wasn't saved of ill innovations, and spiralled downward. Centuries, later a call was made to reconcile and redefine Islam as GOD revealed it. But then, with the centuries long gap between then to the era of the prophet, there was hardly any good that could be done. Thus, today Islam, as practiced by majority have very little if anything to do with the Islam of the Prophet 's era.

Ummayads and abbaids changed the face of the Islamic religion over centuries for their selfish gain... i am convinced that 70% of what is practiced today is not what existed during the Prophet time.

and about the Caliph, its on record that they all took arms against theirself after the death of the prophet just for sake of control... its even on record that Aisha prophet wife took arm and formed a group of warriors against Ali before she was defeated (and yet they call her the mother of the believer smiley )... its also on record that Kabbah was destroyed by the so called caliph during one of their wars... Uthman was killed, Ali was killed (all this happened just within a decade or two of prophet demise and yet we say they are the best caliph.. and these are the same set of people that compilled the Quran,they are the same set of people that handed down the mode of practise)

God will bless you for this wonderful piece... i wish am good in writing and articulate in bringing out my point, i would have cos there are proofs abound everywhere both within the Quran and hadith and 3rd parties narrators, even within the fold narrations also

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 27, 2013
It is rare that I praise a muslim but....good work from the op! I like the op and the discussion that has come from it
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 10:08am On Oct 27, 2013
usermane:

02. MUSLIMS SHOULD BETTER RECITE QUR'AN IN ARABIC

This is an elephant in the room. Even non muslims know there is something wrong with reciting Qur'an in a language you understand not. They know getting meaning should be the concern. The prophet was not chosen to deliver the final testament because it message was in Arabic. The message had to in arabic because the final testament was to be delivered by a man whose mother tongue happened to be arabic. Had GOD chosen an English man, the Qur'an would have been revealed in English. GOD can express HIMSELF well in any language.
Qur'an 41:44, 42:7

Due to this misconception, many non arabs turn away from translated Qur'an that delivers them the message to arabic Qur'an which they mostly recite even though they don't know what they are reciting. To these guys they 'd rather read the direct arabic words as uttered by the prophet than the translation. What! how does GOD reward one for reading the scripture in a language he doesn't understand. If only they had utilised their several hours of reciting several chapters in arabic, with fast and song-like tone for studying one chapter of a translated Qur'an, it would have been better for 'em. While some of them claim the Qur'an is difficult to understand without other books or preachers. The Qur'an however reject their claims(Qur'an 54:17).

the funniest thing is you will c people making a boast that they have finished 10 recitation of Quran in a month especially during ramadan (i used to do this a lot during my ignorant times, looking back now i just laughed at my gullibilty but give thanks nonetheless for the critical mind to ask and ask and ask.... i have come to know that no true seeker can be led astray)... whats the point in reciting what u dont know or understand multiple times when u can easily take a single verse or chapter and meditate on it for hours, days or even years.... this is also stated clearly in the Quran that the whole of the Quran is in similitude (which means its our job to decipher the similitude)

i will sure bookmark this you wonderful piece or even print it for keep.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 10:12am On Oct 27, 2013
,Thanks a lot Beejaay and Logicbwoy. I am happy at least a few persons appreciate GOD.
As for tbaba,babylolaroy,akin di archi, i am not seeking attention or here to mislead, and yes, i took my time to cook this. If i see things going contrary to Islam, i have to comment, doubting thomas will learn. I am not here to shove my findings down anybody 's throat. The truth is what i seek and those who take this thread professionaly will have no issue.

I welcome criticisms or insults from those who take things personal. Insult won't hurt me. I am glad a few persons, even non muslims have learnt a thing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Story Of Prophet Luut / Prohibitions That Are Taken Too Lightly / Recommended Dua On Laylatul Qodr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.