Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,100 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Traditional Belief Systems - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Traditional Belief Systems (1682 Views)

6 Religion/belief Systems With Many Brilliant And Intelligent Follower/adherents / It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) / Simple Problem Why Belief In Hell And Souls Is Not Only Wrong But Nonsensical (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Belief Systems by Glamrock(f): 5:43am On Oct 27, 2013
Hi everyone I'm curious to know some of religious/spiritual belief systems in Africa. I live in America and I was born and raised in the Christian faith but honestly I'm a more spiritual person rather than religious I believe bits and pieces from several different religions (please don't judge) I kind of have my own beliefs kind of like my own religion So I'll just leave it as spiritual. Anyway I just would like to know what some of your religions are and what you believe. I know of Islam, Buddhism, Mormon ect. But I would like to study some traditional african beliefs

1 Like

Re: Traditional Belief Systems by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:43am On Oct 27, 2013

1 Like

Re: Traditional Belief Systems by Glamrock(f): 2:31pm On Oct 27, 2013
Re: Traditional Belief Systems by Ghost01(m): 12:56pm On Jan 02, 2014
Try and google 'The Yoruba Traditional Belief System' to learn about the traditional beliefs and practices of the Yorubas (You'll find enough literature on it online, I believe). The traditional belief system of the Yorubas revolves around Ifa - the Yoruba divination system. The Yorubas too have their own account of creation which, like the Adam and Eve story, is to an objective mind a myth. The Yoruba Traditional Belief System (YTBS), just like the Greek mythology, is plainly polytheistic in nature, seeing as the Yorubas belives that there are (at least) 400 gods, called Orishas. I can go on and on but I believe you'll get enough materials on the internet.

PS: 'Yoruba' is just one of the over 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria, and each of these ethnic groups have their own traditional belief system. I believe you'll likely find more materials details YTBS online than most of the rest.
Re: Traditional Belief Systems by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:48pm On Jan 02, 2014
Ghost01: Try and google 'The Yoruba Traditional Belief System' to learn about the traditional beliefs and practices of the Yorubas (You'll find enough literature on it online, I believe). The traditional belief system of the Yorubas revolves around Ifa - the Yoruba divination system. The Yorubas too have their own account of creation which, like the Adam and Eve story, is to an objective mind a myth. The Yoruba Traditional Belief System (YTBS), just like the Greek mythology, is plainly polytheistic in nature, seeing as the Yorubas belives that there are (at least) 400 gods, called Orishas. I can go on and on but I believe you'll get enough materials on the internet.

PS: 'Yoruba' is just one of the over 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria, and each of these ethnic groups have their own traditional belief system. I believe you'll likely find more materials details YTBS online than most of the rest.

As par the bold, I will ask you to shut the hell up.

Adam and Eve story is metaphoric and not myth.

Yoruba traditional belief is symbolical briefing and not concorted tale.

You guys should stop doing the bad job

1 Like

Re: Traditional Belief Systems by macof(m): 5:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
Glamrock. You should seek an Ifa priest to put u through the basics

But probably before that you might want to know about the Ori concept, Olodumare and the universe, The Irunmole and Orisha.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Belief Systems by Glamrock(f): 8:51pm On Oct 21, 2014
Hi, I actually have contacted an ifa priest from Nigeria via facebook. his name is Babalawo Awo . I've learned a lot from his page but unfortunately I don't have the funds right now to be taught. But I seek a lot of info via facebook and YouTube.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Belief Systems by Nobody: 8:53pm On Oct 21, 2014

(1) (Reply)

When Was Jesus Born ? / Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? / Who Is The Real Founder Of Christianity???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.