Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,852 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) (2859 Views)

The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft / Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 7:46am On Oct 15, 2013
We learn something new everyday. Today, I learnt that even atheists can be silly about atheism.

Can you believe that an atheist made the comment that it is dishonest to describe atheism as a lack of belief in God?

aManFromMars:
@bold: I didn't notice that. I'm not aware of Oprah's beliefs anyways, so let's leave it at that.

@textInRed: Plaetton describes himself as pantheistic atheist. I strongly believe that God does not exist. [size=18pt]I'm atheist. It's dishonest to describe atheism as a lack of belief in God. You could as well say 'oh well, he exists but I don't believe in him'[/size] wink

Morning, bro. grin
https://www.nairaland.com/1448901/atheist-hangout-update-oprah-atheists/6#18826329

Atheism can be defined as a disbelief in God. Isnt a disbelief a lack of belief? A lack of faith in something? I am interested to see how Amanfrommars reached this conclusion

Just even look at the second sentence that follows in his comment- You could as well say "oh well, he exists but I don't believe in him"
. If I say that I lack a belief in something, does that automatically mean that I am saying that the something exists but I dont believe in it?
The fact is that I can say that I lack a belief in the toothfairy and that wouldnt mean that I am saying that the toothfairy exists but I dont believe in it.

It is hardly surprising that it is Muskeeto/Amanfrommars that made this comment. This is someone who was an agnostic to please christians before and now as an atheist, tries so hard to act the part of a considerate atheist that cares about christians. The fails of being a Judas. Mtchew

1 Like

Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:02am On Oct 15, 2013
Personally, I think it is a misunderstanding of atheism. Here is a scale to help

Number 1 and 7 are irrational. You cant 100% prove it either way

6 is default atheism

2 is default theism.

I dont know why it is so hard.
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Joshthefirst(m): 8:04am On Oct 15, 2013
grin

I have nothing to say.
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 15, 2013
Joshthefirst: grin

I have nothing to say.

Then shut up cheesy

<<<< to the xtian chat box

But you seem to be number 1 on the scale grin grin
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Joshthefirst(m): 8:06am On Oct 15, 2013
Logicboy03: Personally, I think it is a misunderstanding of atheism. Here is a scale to help

Number 1 and 7 are irrational. You cant 100% prove it either way

6 is default atheism

2 is default theism.

I dont know why it is so hard.
so what number are you?
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:07am On Oct 15, 2013
Joshthefirst: so what number are you?

Number 6........
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Joshthefirst(m): 8:08am On Oct 15, 2013
Logicboy03:

Then shut up cheesy

<<<< to the xtian chat box

But you seem to be number 1 on the scale grin grin
;DI'm proudly number 1
I'm not foolish
All others are irrational
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 15, 2013
Joshthefirst: I'm proudly number 1
I'm not foolish
All others are irrational

Some christians are number 2.....
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Joshthefirst(m): 8:11am On Oct 15, 2013
Logicboy03:

Some christians are number 2.....
those one's might just be religious people. I can't doubt the existence of my wife man...cuz I know her. It'll be foolish to doubt her existence.
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:12am On Oct 15, 2013
Joshthefirst: those one's might just be religious people. I can't doubt the existence of my wife man...cuz I know her. It'll be foolish to doubt her existence.

You can see your wife....you cant see God.
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:15am On Oct 15, 2013
I don't even get what he meant by you can say he exists but you don't believe in him. How can you know and perhaps be sure he exists yet you won't believe in him.

Seems there's something I'm not getting.
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:17am On Oct 15, 2013
rationalmind: I don't even get what he meant by you can say he exists but you don't believe in him. How can you know and perhaps be sure he exists yet you won't believe in him.

Seems there's something I'm not getting.

I also wonder what he meant.....maybe he can explain it himself...
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Joshthefirst(m): 8:17am On Oct 15, 2013
Logicboy03:

You can see your wife....you cant see God.
oh man. Just because I can't see him doesn't mean he doesn't exist. I know him and he has influence in my life. He saved me from sin and God's wrath.

John 8:23-24 Jesus said, "You're tied down to the mundane; I'm in touch with what is beyond your horizons. You live in terms of what you see and touch. I'm living on other terms. I told you that you were missing God in all this. You're at a dead end. If you won't believe I am who I say I am, you're at the dead end of sins. You're missing God in your lives."

Bet you didn't know that was in the bible did you?
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 15, 2013
Joshthefirst: oh man. Just because I can't see him doesn't mean he doesn't exist. I know him and he has influence in my life. He saved me from sin and God's wrath.

John 8:23-24 Jesus said, "You're tied down to the mundane; I'm in touch with what is beyond your horizons. You live in terms of what you see and touch. I'm living on other terms. I told you that you were missing God in all this. You're at a dead end. If you won't believe I am who I say I am, you're at the dead end of sins. You're missing God in your lives."

Bet you didn't know that was in the bible did you?

How can you know God? You have seen him or felt him or talked to him......
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Joshthefirst(m): 8:20am On Oct 15, 2013
Logicboy03:

I also wonder what he meant.....maybe he can explain it himself...

Maybe he just doesn't trust him or accept him. Maybe he thinks he's unjust or something. Smh.

Some people are confused shaa
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:22am On Oct 15, 2013
Joshthefirst: Maybe he just doesn't trust him or accept him. Maybe he thinks he's unjust or something. Smh.

lol
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Joshthefirst(m): 8:25am On Oct 15, 2013
Logicboy03:

How can you know God? You have seen him or felt him or talked to him......
I've told you I feel God and talk with him everyday. There're things beyond the physical. It's a spiritual thing. And it's just as real. Almost even more real. I speak with God and communicate with him through the holy spirit. I keep understanding his word through the holy spirit

Not just that, the creation itself is a proof of what is written in God's word. Times of ignorance are long gone.
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:28am On Oct 15, 2013
Joshthefirst: I've told you I feel God and talk with him everyday. There're things beyond the physical. It's a spiritual thing. And it's just as real. Almost even more real. I speak with God and communicate with him through the holy spirit. I keep understanding his word through the holy spirit

Not just that, the creation itself is a proof of what is written in God's word. Times of ignorance are long gone.

It is neither physical or spiritual....it is mental....you are talking to yourself... wink

What does God's voice sound like? Yoruba accent?
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by UyiIredia(m): 8:30am On Oct 15, 2013
If anyone is silly it's the OP who stated and I quote '. . . Atheism is not the belief that God does not exist.'
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Joshthefirst(m): 8:34am On Oct 15, 2013
Logicboy03:

It is neither physical or spiritual....it is mental....you are talking to yourself... wink

I hear.
Is divine healing a mental thing?
Or power to live above sin?
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Avicenna: 8:37am On Oct 15, 2013
Man, this sallah meat na die ooooo.......
Back to being a muslim just for this splendid meat....choi

@topic
I sort of agree with muskeeto( dis tin cracks me up anytime) ........
Some may interprete the statement to mean you disbelieve in something that exist. Like its a personal opinion which may not be grounded in reality.
With muskeeto( hahahaha) method, you avoid ridiculous arguments and accusation of bias.
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 15, 2013
Joshthefirst: Maybe he just doesn't trust him or accept him. Maybe he thinks he's unjust or something. Smh.

You r the one who is confused. If truly this is what he means, he is more of a deist than an atheist.

This is what we are asking, how can an ATHEIST claim he knows God exists but doesn't believe in him. The very fact that he's an atheist negates his claim to know he exists. If he knows he exists, he isn't an atheist.
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 15, 2013
Uyi Iredia: If anyone is silly it's the OP who stated and I quote '. . . Atheism is not the belief that God does not exist.'

Look at the scale.....number 6
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 15, 2013
Avicenna: Man, this sallah meat na die ooooo.......
Back to being a muslim just for this splendid meat....choi

@topic
I sort of agree with muskeeto( dis tin cracks me up anytime) ........
Some may interprete the statement to mean you disbelieve in something that exist. Like its a personal opinion which may not be grounded in reality.
With muskeeto( hahahaha) method, you avoid ridiculous arguments and accusation of bias.

@ bold That is a misinterpration which muskeeto did....

Sha...i understand
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 15, 2013
Joshthefirst: I hear.

Divine healing is a lie
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 15, 2013
Joshthefirst: I've told you I feel God and talk with him everyday. There're things beyond the physical. It's a spiritual thing. And it's just as real. Almost even more real. I speak with God and communicate with him through the holy spirit. I keep understanding his word through the holy spirit

I know and talk to Allah everyday. He tells me christians are misled. He told me mohammed is his true prophet. How am I wrong and you r right?

1 Like

Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by texanomaly(f): 8:42am On Oct 15, 2013
Uyi Iredia: If anyone is silly it's the OP who stated and I quote '. . . Atheism is not the belief that God does not exist.'
Technically he's right isn't he? I thought Atheism was supposed to be based on facts and logic. Sure knowledge is not belief it is what they consider fact or truth. Isn't it?
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 15, 2013
Logicboy03:

Lol
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 15, 2013
Joshthefirst: I hear.

Why not just say a little prayer for all those living with HIV/AIDS. That shouldn't be hard to do. Let's test the veracity of that divine healing.
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:47am On Oct 15, 2013
texanomaly:
Technically he's right isn't he? I thought Atheism was supposed to be based on facts and logic. Sure knowledge is not belief it is what they consider fact or truth. Isn't it?

Atheism is based on logic.

I cant say that god doesnt exist 100% but I am free to disbelieve in God.

Why?

No evidence or reason to believe in God

Imagine if I said that there is a tea cup floating behind pluto. Would you believe it? No. But then you cant 100% disprove it.

A disbelief until evidence shows up
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by Nobody: 8:47am On Oct 15, 2013
rationalmind:

Why not just say a little prayer for all those living with HIV/AIDS. That shouldn't be hard to do. Let's test the veracity of that divine healing.

you read my mind.

There wouldnt be aids patient in TB Joshua's church if divine healing was true
Re: It Is Dishonest To Describe Atheism As A Lack Of Belief In God (silly Atheism) by texanomaly(f): 8:50am On Oct 15, 2013
Logicboy03:

Atheism is based on logic.

I cant say that god doesnt exist 100% but I am free cool to disbelieve in God.

Why?

No evidence or reason to believe in God

Imagine if I said that there is a tea cup floating behind pluto. Would you believe it? No. But then you cant 100% disprove it.

A disbelief until evidence shows up

Ok. I stand corrected.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims / Where Hell Is Located Revealed / If Ladies Wearing Trouser To Church Is A Sin - Christians Check This Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.