Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,974 members, 7,825,039 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds (20764 Views)

Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers / Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report / AMCON Transfers Enterprise, Mainstreet Banks To New Owners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by jerryben12: 3:51am On Oct 29, 2013
As new owners set to take over physical possession of the privatised companies of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), electricity consumers in the country may soon experience increment in their tariff following moves by the new owners to generate more funds.

This will come through a review of the provisions of the Multi-Year Tariff Order (MYTO), which will see new electricity price in place.
The new owners are concerned that stipulated tariffs in the draft of interim rules and regulations spelt out by the Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), prior to their take-over of the plants, were inadequate to guarantee a healthy return on investment.
However, this position becomes conflicting because the reason behind the introduction of MYTO was to review the price upward as prospective investors in the power sector may find it difficult to review the tariff upward immediately.

Industry experts say with the volume of additional investment needed to bring the assets at a fair state to provide considerable service required by the users, it would be better for the investors to recover their monies over a period of 10 years and thereafter make profit.

In a joint petition to NERC, the companies rejected the tariffs proposed in the draft rules, accusing the commission and the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) of reneging on the terms of the power sales/purchase agreement which they collectively signed.

They threatened to seek legal redress if their grievances were not addressed by the regulatory authorities.

NERC General Manager, Marketing and Rates, Abdukadir Shettima, said the commission and the BPE would not renege on the terms of agreement reached with the new owners of the GENCOs prior to their takeover. He explained that the interim rules were proposed since the transitional electricity market was yet to take off.

“The Transitional Electricity Market (TEM) is a market where trading is done by contract. There will be rules, which would be enforced along with all the contracts that would be in play,” he said.

He added that the new rules would not be in force as the conditions preceding the Electricity Transition Market were yet to be met. He said the fear expressed by the new owners about possible losses in the proposed tariff structure were unfounded, pointing out that the baseline losses and the population in the tariff needed to determine so as to ensure that there was sufficient revenue in the entire value chain.

“We need to have a set of rules to guide the industry within this transition period when the losses will be validated. The tariff will be adjusted and the remaining few issues will be concluded,” he said.

He added that NERC had planned to commence the interim period which would be between November 1, 2013 and February 28, 2014.

After all the conditions including the ongoing settlement of PHCN workers’ benefits have been concluded, Shetimma said the Federal Government could declare the Electricity Transition Market on March 1, 2014. He added that if the commencement of the interim period was from November 1, it would coincide with the physical handover of the plants to their new owners, which is put at February 28.

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/business-package/2012-10-29-11-35-35/energy/item/25018-phcn-consumers-to-pay-more-as-new-owners-move-to-recover-funds.html
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by tundebj(m): 3:00pm On Oct 29, 2013
Let dem start first, market wl drive itself

3 Likes

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 29, 2013
Ok 2 tc

What do you expect? At least in Lagos; ikeja, VI and yaba would have constant power because they can pay... Investors would make the necessary investments in these localities. However, the people at Iju, Ikorodu, Matogun etc esp., in those areas that do not fall in the master plan of the state can continue to leave in darkness moreover, they can not pay either.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by bigx(m): 4:40pm On Oct 29, 2013
If the light is steady, No wahala

3 Likes

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by BabaAlabi: 4:41pm On Oct 29, 2013
It's only in Nigeria that subsidy is removed without any form of support for the people.
It's only in Nigeria bikes are banned without alternatives.
It's only in Nigeria electricity bills are increased without electricity being available.
#Iweepformycountry.

36 Likes

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Janko(m): 4:44pm On Oct 29, 2013
they dn start again.make them giv us light first.

1 Like

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by leksgcfr(m): 4:44pm On Oct 29, 2013
NERC please ensure that you leave up to the situation. Do not sign any agreement that will bring hardship on Nigerians.whatever you guys do, let it be in you that it is for the benefit of those who cannot afford to generate power in their homes via diesel or petrol.

2 Likes

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by OlowoB(m): 4:44pm On Oct 29, 2013
Of cos dat is going 2 be d normal thng initially but as more and more private investors come on board, d prices would go down.

All Nigerians want is steady power supply.

1 Like

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by raytony: 4:50pm On Oct 29, 2013
Ehn, shebi after dem don cut am I go go hang my wire back.

4 Likes

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by holyjossy01(m): 4:50pm On Oct 29, 2013
First, I'm taking time to appreciate all those of you that had been on fp and also dose dat are still striving to be... Without you nairaland would have been a " boredom kingdom".
Also, would lyk to thank mysef cool for being a sharp guy... Blah blah blah
I made the front page for the first tym.

2 Likes

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Sike(m): 4:51pm On Oct 29, 2013
*In Phyno's Voice* Yaaay!
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by vizboy(m): 4:51pm On Oct 29, 2013
na make we get light be the thing
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Polio: 4:52pm On Oct 29, 2013
“We need to have a set of rules to guide the industry within this transition period when the losses will be validated. The tariff will be adjusted and the remaining few issues will be concluded,”

The excerpt above culled from the report, is absolutely imperative. the rules and a platform to guide the transition period and a proper tariff structure.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by bionicdude(m): 4:53pm On Oct 29, 2013
we know they will increase it.my only concern is dat they won't use it to exploit us like the telecommunication companies do by charging a high price with very poor service delivery
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by drdams: 4:53pm On Oct 29, 2013
Where is the Power? We are ready to pay..

Streak of Paper Tigers!!
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:54pm On Oct 29, 2013
How does any of this make sense?

you will increase tariffs for estimated bills?

u will just straight up legit be bringing gargantuan sums of money for light i didnt use or see?

smh.

1 Like

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by 2rutalk1: 4:55pm On Oct 29, 2013
The main issue is constant power supply. Privatization always comes with hike in prices in the short-run. However, competition will certainly bring down the prices in the long-run, a case study of what happened in the Telecom industry at the post-privatization era. My only annoyance is total lack of power supply in Satellite Town, Lagos. Ever since I moved to this area 4yrs ago, there has been perennial power problem till date. Even when others are celebrating 20hrs/24hrs power supply in some quarters, Satellite town can not boast of 1hr power supply in a day. Worstill, you have to stay in darkness from Monday to Sunday. It is so pathetic here in Satellite Town. And it appears there is no end in sight to this malady.

4 Likes

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by simplynola(m): 4:57pm On Oct 29, 2013
Your Economic Principle is wrong. This is not like Telecommunications where competition will drive down price. More investors mean more profit sharing. How can they share profit when cost goes down. The purpose of investment is to make more money
OlowoB: Of cos dat is going 2 be d normal thng initially but as more and more private investors come on board, d prices would go down.

All Nigerians want is steady power supply.

2 Likes

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by habex050: 4:59pm On Oct 29, 2013
whichwayforwardnigeria

1 Like

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Goldenheart(m): 4:59pm On Oct 29, 2013
Okay... I never see any bill o
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Jayses(m): 4:59pm On Oct 29, 2013
If de bill becomes too much we shall have no other choice than to go back to I PASS MY NEIGHBOR And otherwise

2 Likes

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by skyscraperTM(m): 5:02pm On Oct 29, 2013
When i was young i used to be afraid of the dark but now that i'm matured when i see my electricity bills i'm afraid of the light.

22 Likes

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by talktrue1(m): 5:02pm On Oct 29, 2013
This is the way MTN milk our money when the issue of GSM started. Selling SIM card for N25,000 and some yrs later it was N100 and now buy 1 get 4 free with free credit inside.
I thought it was a long term project, why should they recover their money in a short period of time

4 Likes

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:03pm On Oct 29, 2013
O ga o!
40% of the FP topics are bad news. Wetin sef?
PHCN is a small leach.
Their new owner is a very big leach.
Imagine them charging metre maintainance monthly. Yet, when your metre gets fault, na one road side electrician you go call. If you call PHCN people, dem no go answer you or better still charge you like armed robbers.

2 Likes

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by airclipse(m): 5:08pm On Oct 29, 2013
Its like they've started it already.... The recent bill we were given was 9K frm the initial 6K ...In my area I can tell u тнє number of times we had light WiтЂin last month yet the bill has been increased...

1 Like

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Pvin: 5:08pm On Oct 29, 2013
I saw this coming. Pls I use this medium to plead to Emeka Offor not to show the true colour of Igbo's by makin d cost high yet, because he will definitly recover what he invested in no time.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by emmawiz: 5:09pm On Oct 29, 2013
Yuck! So what?
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Oyiboman69: 5:10pm On Oct 29, 2013
Dem Wan Gather Money 4 Our Hand,d One Wen Dem Don Dey Cheat Us Since Na?,who Wan Pay 4 Those Ones?,abi because We No Wan Answer Dem Abi?,arm Robbers
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by yankyone(m): 5:12pm On Oct 29, 2013
If d light wl be there for us.....no problem
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by pomporiking: 5:16pm On Oct 29, 2013
So why unit don already expensive undecided
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by simpleseyi: 5:16pm On Oct 29, 2013
Pls be reminded that the new owners of NEPA (becos I dont know PHCN) did not invest a single kobo so there should be no talk of getting any investment back. Obasanjo and Abdulsalami bought Lagos and Ikeja distribution zones with our oyel money which they looted, or can their lifetime salaries as millitary or as president be enough to buy NEPA? Same for buyers of other distribution zones. Let anyone prove me wrong.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Akin Alabi: Don’t Start A Print Magazine Business, This Is 2019 / Innoson Reacts: Bench Warrant Against Me Is An Abuse Of Process Taken Too Far / Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.