Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,212 members, 7,818,722 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? (24586 Views)

Pls, How Is The Job Market For Recent Geographic Information Systems (gis) Graduates / Expansion Of The Geographic Information Systems (gis) Field In Nigeria. / G.i.s Geographic Information Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 5:20pm On Aug 15, 2014
Think future, think GIS!
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by arcgisng: 5:38am On Aug 27, 2014
PalmTree: Think future, think GIS!

Please inform all your friends, 'practical' education and certification in Esri's leading 10.2 release is a serious career switch-on!
There is no other software mastery on the planet that can create strength and wealth for an undergraduate/graduate with such power of flexibility in the future.

Follow PalmTree. He knows better. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by kolanairaland(m): 9:28am On Aug 27, 2014
arcgisng:

Please inform all your friends, 'practical' education and certification in Esri's leading 10.2 release is a serious career switch-on!
There is no other software mastery on the planet that can create strength and wealth for an undergraduate/graduate with such power of flexibility in the future.

Follow PalmTree. He knows better. Cheers.
winkpls give me detail of opporunities in GIS. I like iT
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 10:35am On Aug 27, 2014
GIS is wide. So for starters, I'll say you should get acquainted with the basics. Then you can progress from there. Also what's your discipline or perhaps your I.T related passion?
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Nitta08(f): 8:39pm On Aug 29, 2014
@Palmtree pls i am interested in the GIS training. Please kindly send me a mail containing your training module, duration, cost and address. Thanks. nittayoungson@gmail.com
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 9:55pm On Aug 29, 2014
Nitta08: @Palmtree pls i am interested in the GIS training. Please kindly send me a mail containing your training module, duration, cost and address. Thanks. nittayoungson@gmail.com

You got mail.

1 Like

Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Nitta08(f): 12:41am On Aug 30, 2014
PalmTree:

You got mail.

Thank you, I received it
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 4:23pm On Sep 01, 2014
Think future, think GIS!
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Nobody: 6:06am On Sep 04, 2014
Please email full course details and fee for programme. I should visit your office today or tomorrow for more counseling though.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 8:40am On Sep 04, 2014
pjombo: Please email full course details and fee for programme. I should visit your office today or tomorrow for more counseling though..... pjombo@gmail.com

You got mail. Our office is at Sw9/17, Opposite Government College, Apata, Ibadan. You can also call me on 08061185492 for any other information. We will be expecting your visit. Thanks.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by princemike2005(m): 2:25pm On Sep 04, 2014
PalmTree:

Please post your mail address and I will mail you the information you require. Yes, candidates get a certificate of participation on completion of the training. This training is guaranteed to equip you to handle a standard GIS. We can also facilitate the GISCP exam so you can also be ESRI certified. NB: ESRI are the producers of ArcGIS and they account for more than 60% of the GIS industry.
Freeresearcher2014@gmail.com
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 5:10pm On Sep 04, 2014
princemike2005:
Freeresearcher2014@gmail.com

You got mail.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by burtheyseun(m): 10:54am On Sep 05, 2014
Pls I need a well training institute that offer GIS course
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 12:33pm On Sep 05, 2014
burtheyseun: Pls I need a well training institute that offer GIS course

I don't understand you. Do you mean a good institute where you can learn quality GIS, GPS and Remote Sensing (Digital Image Processing)? If that's what you need and you can make it down to my office in Ibadan. There are various training modules that you can subscribe to. Send a mail to greenlandconsult89@gmail.com or call 08061185492 for more information
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 7:19pm On Sep 10, 2014
Think future, Think GIS
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by theSpark(m): 11:01am On Sep 11, 2014
Please GiS gurus, I am working on my project and will need satellite images of a village outside minna Niger State for the years 2006, 2010, and 2014. Where do I get such images and how do I get it for free if possible.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 12:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
theSpark: Please GiS gurus, I am working on my project and will need satellite images of a village outside minna Niger State for the years 2006, 2010, and 2014. Where do I get such images and how do I get it for free if possible.

Depends on the type of imagery you want to utilize. The type of imagery also depends on what the project is all about which I'm guessing is about Urban Sprawl or Land Use. Low resolution imagery (LandSat Tm or Etm) could be downloaded on global land cover website but the problem is its technicalities. The landsat has about 7 bands each with it's own function. However, you can get a high resolution imagery for free if you download the google earth software and connect to the internet.

Hope I have been able to assist. Do not hesitate to ask for more clarification. Regards.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by theSpark(m): 4:32pm On Sep 11, 2014
PalmTree:

Depends on the type of imagery you want to utilize. The type of imagery also depends on what the project is all about which I'm guessing is about Urban Sprawl or Land Use. Low resolution imagery (LandSat Tm or Etm) could be downloaded on global land cover website but the problem is its technicalities. The landsat has about 7 bands each with it's own function. However, you can get a high resolution imagery for free if you download the google earth software and connect to the internet.

Hope I have been able to assist. Do not hesitate to ask for more clarification. Regards.

Thanks sir. The project is about urban growth eating up agricultural land. I have tried Google Earth, the problem I encountered were:
The images were not up to date
The images dated 2006 were not as old as that

I don't know if there are any other options. I will check out the global land cover website. Thanks sir. I will email you for further consultations as I progress.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by mohit247(m): 6:19pm On Sep 11, 2014
@PalmTree..
can a graduate of geophysics branch off into GIS? And if that is possible,what are the career opportunities?
send detailed info of training.
Thanks.
laba_one@yahoo.com
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 7:06pm On Sep 11, 2014
mohit247: @PalmTree..
can a graduate of geophysics branch off into GIS? And if that is possible,what are the career opportunities?
send detailed info of training.
Thanks.
laba_one@yahoo.com

Opportunities abound! But my professional advice is not to branch off but introduce GIS to your specialization. It takes a lot to be a GIS expert (Structured knowledge and years of technical experience in several fields) I will send you our basic GIS module with the option of Remote Sensing.
You got mail.

Thanks
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 7:24pm On Sep 11, 2014
theSpark:

Thanks sir. The project is about urban growth eating up agricultural land. I have tried Google Earth, the problem I encountered were:
The images were not up to date
The images dated 2006 were not as old as that

I don't know if there are any other options. I will check out the global land cover website. Thanks sir. I will email you for further consultations as I progress.

Feel free please. You can still use google earth imagery but you might need some guidance. You should mail me if you get stuck anytime.

Regards
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Liamm(m): 11:47pm On Sep 11, 2014
PalmTree: Hello, fellow Nairalanders. It is no longer news that GIS is being used to enhance decision making in several industries. Now, for those who have some knowledge of the technology and others who don't, feel free to post your questions and I will do my best to answer your queries.
Can GIS be studied as an undergraduate course?
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 12:15am On Sep 12, 2014
Liamm: Can GIS be studied as an undergraduate course?

Not in a Nigerian University for now. The closest you can get is Surveying and Geoinformatics. But GIS can be a minor in any of the environmental sciences.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 1:27pm On Sep 12, 2014
Think future, Think GIS
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 12:01am On Sep 16, 2014
GIS, GPS and Digital Image Processing!
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 12:38pm On Sep 16, 2014
GIS Application to disaster management. Flood risk mapping. Image acquisition and processing. Desert encroachment rate mapping. GIS basic module.

Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by arcgisng: 3:07am On Sep 17, 2014
kolanairaland: winkpls give me detail of opporunities in GIS. I like iT

For a rich information on learning ArcGIS and career opportunities, you might want to see this unique GIS thread in Nairaland. www.nairaland.com/1031070/arcgis-certifications-training-career-dollars

Cheers everyone.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by sgd: 7:04pm On Sep 18, 2014
I need IT placement, is there space in your firm
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by sgd: 7:05pm On Sep 18, 2014
Sir, I'm a URP student.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 8:58pm On Sep 18, 2014
sgd: Sir, I'm a URP student.

I'm sorry but not at the moment.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Boss May Be Hiding Something / Things You Should Never Share At Work / Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.