Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,424 members, 7,822,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? (24609 Views)

Pls, How Is The Job Market For Recent Geographic Information Systems (gis) Graduates / Expansion Of The Geographic Information Systems (gis) Field In Nigeria. / G.i.s Geographic Information Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 10:07am On Nov 25, 2013
For urgent inquires, I can be reached via greenlandconsult89@gmail.com or phone: 08061185492.
Think future, Think GIS

1 Like

Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by chiefinalowo: 2:56pm On Nov 25, 2013
I_am_strata: is this the same thing as merging in autocad?

Yes, it is in AutoCAD Map 3D
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Iamstrata(m): 3:11pm On Nov 25, 2013
chiefinalowo:

Yes, it is in AutoCAD Map 3D
hmmh! ok
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 9:52am On Dec 12, 2013
Introducing a new twist to GIS... Web and Mobile based GIS!!! Develop your GIS and share with the world.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by EdDave(m): 5:52am On Dec 15, 2013
So how can you use GIS to forecast the stock and forex market?
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by almaliki: 10:14pm On Dec 16, 2013
@..op....do u train on programming...python 4 scripting....to be precise.....?
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 2:35pm On Dec 17, 2013
almaliki: @..op....do u train on programming...python 4 scripting....to be precise.....?

Not really, though we offer classes on programming. GIS is very wide as it is, so the programing lessons are channeled towards enabling a web powered GIS. Thanks
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2013
EdDave: So how can you use GIS to forecast the stock and forex market?

Stock and Forex are tied to the viability of the respective company or economy as the case may be. GIS can be used to analyze the viability of a company's business plan/sales rate or a government's policy. This will by extension assist in forecasting the stock market. The explanation may not be direct, but that's a GIS approach to what you inquire.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by almaliki: 10:09am On Dec 18, 2013
PalmTree:

Not really, though we offer classes on programming. GIS is very wide as it is, so the programing lessons are channeled towards enabling a web powered GIS. Thanks

can u pls educate us a little on what programming apps u use for web mapping?
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 10:32am On Dec 18, 2013
almaliki:

can u pls educate us a little on what programming apps u use for web mapping?

Good sir, it's not webmapping! The world has gone past that. Just by putting your map in jpg or bmp format and encoding it the same way you upload your image in html format and you have already achieved web mapping. WebGIS is more advanced. In webGIS, the map does not just maintain it's spatial reference but also it's robust database and analytical capabilities. It includes that you can run a customized analytical procedure directly on your webpage. The apps we use include Dreamweaver, Netbeans IDE, Notepad++ etc. I hope I have answered your question. Thanks for the interest.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 12:48pm On Dec 23, 2013
GIS for disaster management... Coming soon.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Iamstrata(m): 1:45pm On Dec 23, 2013
PalmTree: GIS for disaster management... Coming soon.
like wat lagos state is doin in flood management?
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 2:04pm On Dec 23, 2013
I_am_strata: like wat lagos state is doin in flood management?

Yes. However disaster management involves more than flood management, we have fire outbreak assessment planing etc
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Geodiamond: 5:53pm On Dec 23, 2013
Hello, i'm a 200L student of Geology. I'm really intrested in this "GIS", but first of all, i want to know how it affects a geologist or how it can be useful for geology. Thanks
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 6:30pm On Dec 23, 2013
Geodiamond: Hello, i'm a 200L student of Geology. I'm really intrested in this "GIS", but first of all, i want to know how it affects a geologist or how it can be useful for geology. Thanks

GIS application to Geology is very wide so what I advice "newbees" to do is to pick an aspect or specialization. For instance is it mineral exploration, oil exploration, site suitability test for deep wells (boreholes) etc. You need to pick one and I'll discuss. However, you should check the thread for a post where I discussed GIS for mineral exploration. Enjoy
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Geodiamond: 11:39am On Dec 24, 2013
Tanks alot. As a beginner that want to learn GIS, what would be the first thing you would advice me to do and the type of softwares to get. And pls, do you guys have training centre in benin city?
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 1:04pm On Dec 24, 2013
Geodiamond: Tanks alot. As a beginner that want to learn GIS, what would be the first thing you would advice me to do and the type of softwares to get. And pls, do you guys have training centre in benin city?

You can start with Quantum GIS, its open source. But I usually advice that people go for hands on customized trainings so that you can grasp it. Although most GIS software are user friendly, you can easily encounter problems when you use them. We don't have a training centre in benin city. Thanks
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Geodiamond: 1:56pm On Dec 24, 2013
Pls oo, i would have really love you guys to open centres in other cities ( like benin, ph, Enugu etc.). I know it's not easy oo. But, can I get the software in open market.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 2:04pm On Dec 24, 2013
Geodiamond: Pls oo, i would have really love you guys to open centres in other cities ( like benin, ph, Enugu etc.). I know it's not easy oo. But, can I get the software in open market.

You can download QGIS online... Its free though not as powerful as ArcGIS and Erdas. Where do you school? If you can arrange for more people with yourself, I can make an arrangement for a 2wks customized training session in Benin city. Thanks
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by umaryusuf(m): 3:34pm On Dec 24, 2013
@ PalmTree,
Permit me to add here that Quantum GIS (aka QGIS) Free lessons can be found here: https://www.nairaland.com/1564029/geographic-information-system-gis-tutorial

With third party python plugins QGIS can compete favorably with most of the commercial GIS software out there.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Geodiamond: 3:37pm On Dec 24, 2013
I'm a student of uniben, jt email me (gluck4all@gmail.com) the cost of the tutorial for one person, two persons, three persons, four persons and five persons in benin
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 4:28pm On Dec 24, 2013
umaryusuf: @ PalmTree,
Permit me to add here that Quantum GIS (aka QGIS) Free lessons can be found here: https://www.nairaland.com/1564029/geographic-information-system-gis-tutorial

With third party python plugins QGIS can compete favorably with most of the commercial GIS software out there.

Alright boss, I will explore the third party plugins. I mainly use QGIS as an extension on my ArcGIS. We have work to do as GIS persons to intoduce QGIS to the Nigerian market, although its free, ESRI and MapInfo have captured the Nigerian market with their VERY expensive software. I will download your tutorial and introduce to people. Do you work with web powered GIS?
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by umaryusuf(m): 7:21pm On Dec 24, 2013
^ Abeg join the QGIS community it is growing in popularity and functionality – I don’t work with web powered GIS. I don't really understood what you mean by web powered GIS? Is it a Company or application/software?

Most Nigerian GIS users are sightless by the popularity and marketing strategy of the commercial software. On the other hand, OPEN SOURCE GIS software like QGIS hardly publish popularity adverts, don’t engage in expensive GIS events etc which are some few reasons for their low popularity in Nigeria market.

This is one of the motivating factors that lead me to start TUTORIAL on QGIS. At least people (students) should be able to perform geospatial (or GIS) tasks with little or no money.

On a personal note, I still use the commercial GIS software (e.g. GlobalMapper, ArcGIS etc), but I strongly recommend QGIS and other free GIS software to anyone beginning in GIS.

Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 7:49pm On Dec 24, 2013
You are right, but with cracked versions of ArcGIS flooding the market, people still get it for free. Web powered GIS is a GIS that can be published online for people to use for analysis without having any software. Its like uploading your full GIS database to your clients website while still maintaining its analytical functions.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by umaryusuf(m): 7:40am On Dec 25, 2013
PalmTree: You are right, but with cracked versions of ArcGIS flooding the market, people still get it for free. Web powered GIS is a GIS that can be published online for people to use for analysis without having any software. Its like uploading your full GIS database to your clients website while still maintaining its analytical functions.

With cracked software, you are limited to what you can do especially if you will need to use GIS servers on net.
So I don’t usually encourage cracked software. It is a blunder for any instructor to stand before students (young mind) to encourage the use of cracked software.

As per Web powered GIS?
Do you mean integrating/customizing WMS – Web Mapping Services API like google maps, zhuk maps, yahoo maps, map quest etc to deliver or serve georeferenced predefined GIS data over the Internet that are generated by a map server using data from a GIS database?
With knowledge of GIS combed with Web programming stuffs like that can be done.

Recently I used zhuk maps API to show wedding venue on a website, see it HERE ON THIS LINK. I attached screen shot below as well.
I have also used similar concepts to show Geo-location of website visitor depending on their IP address.

May be you have something different in mind? We can discuss it further.

Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 10:16am On Dec 25, 2013
I understand your interest in QGIS but like I said earlier, other than the fact that QGIS and ILWIS are open source, the ArcGIS is still ahead. I have been using QGIS as an extension on my ArcGIS for sometime and its great for some particular analysis, but the ArcGIS is an all rounder and that is why most organizations and institutions still prefer it despite its cost. For most of my clients what I do is to develop a customized GIS on their intranet so that all their staff can use it for analysis and information based on their different security levels (the org doesn't need to have more than a single license GIS software; I just make my database to communicate with their IT database). I concur with you on the issue of cracked software, I have toured several schools and I was disturbed to see Universities installing cracked versions of ArcGIS for students even at postgraduate level, I will try to introduce the QGIS to them as the cracked versions are illegal.
I will explore the QGIS third party pluggins and if they come in handy with most of the jobs I do, I'll adopt it. Trust me the cost of the Acresso license on ArcGIS is too expensive. The ArcGIS server goes for about $21,000 annually, although the technical support is second to none.
Futhermore, please can you post a screen shot on how to use extensions on the QGIS because I have some toolsets I developed that I might want to integrate.
The screenshot you posted looks like a place tag on a QuickBird imagery... am I right? I mean the kind that you integrate a navigational system to. Although your explanation of WebGIS aligns with Webmapping. I use Postgre and PostGis for my uploads using the Apache server. I am currently working on a prototype for an online tenement rate system that can be used in most state town planing departments... I hope to use the QGIS. Thank you
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by umaryusuf(m): 2:25pm On Dec 25, 2013
PalmTree: ....

Futhermore, please can you post a screen shot on how to use extensions on the QGIS because I have some toolsets I developed that I might want to integrate.
The screenshot you posted looks like a place tag on a QuickBird imagery... am I right? I mean the kind that you integrate a navigational system to. Although your explanation of WebGIS aligns with Webmapping. I use Postgre and PostGis for my uploads using the Apache server. I am currently working on a prototype for an online tenement rate system that can be used in most state town planing departments... I hope to use the QGIS. Thank you

I have about 20minutes video lesson on QGIS 1.8 and AcrGIS 9.3 plugins and extension respectively, but unfortunately it is not yet online (will soon upload it sha). However, I talked a bit about QGIS 1.8 plugins in this video below (you may skip to 6:00min on the timeline) to start part about QGIS 1.8 plugins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dj5SAu8wjo

The basic navigation is to go from ur qgis “plugins” menu and select “Fetch Python Plugins” if you want to install a new plugin or “Manage Plugin” if you want to enable a plugin.

That is Google Earth imagery and not QuickBird imagery made available by zhuk maps. Navigational system is there, maybe you didn’t open the link provided (Here Is The Link Again).
Web base GIS is similar to Web Mapping but with an emphasis on analysis, and processing. In fact you can talk about one without talking about the other; the border between them is shadowy.

Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 3:02pm On Dec 25, 2013
Ok, but the Google earth imagery is one of the many types of the QuickBird campaign commissioned by the US department of defense. That is why I wanted to confirm, I also use the google earth imagery directly or by converting them to KML format. As for the definitions, there are various school of thoughts but that isn't necessary here. Continue the good work, I might add certain things in the Remote Sensing aspect using ILWIS another open source.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by umaryusuf(m): 5:28pm On Dec 25, 2013
Sure, I wanted to point out that is a free imagery "GoogleEarth". When QuickBird is mentioned, what first comes to one mind is a high-resolution commercial satellite image.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by ideology(m): 5:12am On Jan 05, 2014
PalmTree:

Hello, this thread is one of my firm's CSR outreach to enlighten and sensitize people on GIS, so I won't want to introduce any kind of advertisement on it. Post your e-mail address here, so I can send you our course module, duration and cost. Thanks
pls I would love to know more send details to hopeman4all@yahoo.com, thanks.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 2:31pm On Jan 05, 2014
Happy new year! It has come to my notice that some unscrupulous elements have been sending mails to some emails posted here. To stop this I will ask that you send your inquires to greenlandconsult89@gmail.com. That is the mail I use in sending mails. Thanks
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 4:47pm On Jul 01, 2014
Think future, think GIS!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Yay!! Push Cv Just Congratulated Me!!! / The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In Nigeria / Am Thinking Of Quitting My Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.