Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,400 members, 7,822,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” (4947 Views)

Female Army Cadet Tortures A Man For Calling Her "Beautiful" / Bashir El-rufai Under Fire For Calling Fayose A "Vagabond" On Twitter (snapshots / Fayose Mocks Buhari For Calling INEC Independent Nigeria Electoral Commission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by CROWE: 3:57pm On Oct 31, 2013
Mylove55: Why are we clamouring for true federalism,if we are not opereting like amarican

Please restate that, the above comment does not make any sense whatsoever.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 31, 2013
I am realy surprised by the immaturity displayed by some nairalanders. That someone expressed opinion contrary to yours does not necessitate curses & abuses. None of our so called 36 states was there when nigeria became a federation, so they cannot be regarded as federating states. The so called states can be split tomorrow & the given state govt cannot stop the federal govt. The federal US govt cannot split or creat any state unless requested by the people of the said state.
Part of California was one of the last states to join the US while the other part joined Mexico. If we are really literate we should endeavour to be educated or educate ourselves.
Most of us want to split Nigeria along tribal or ethnic lines but we scramble to go to the US that is the most ethnically diversified country in the world.
If we really appreciate what we are in this country we should be reminded that the different peoples in this country have attributes which combined to make us a great nation.
Kindly use these forum to build & improve this nation & not the opposite unless all the resources used to train & educate you have been for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by johndwayy(m): 4:06pm On Oct 31, 2013
Thank you bros for this clear explanation.... @agbameta has just shown how stupid and unreasonable he can be
Alfa Seltzer:

you are the tard.

is it called federal republic of america or united states?

Do you have united states of nigeria or federating states?

free education illiterate.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by CROWE: 4:25pm On Oct 31, 2013
Please explain to us what the difference is in the two, we want to know.

The United States of America (USA), commonly referred to as the United States (US), America, or simply the States, is a federal republic[10][11] consisting of 50 states, 16 territories, a federal district, and various overseas extraterritorial jurisdictions.

Nigeria Listeni/naɪˈdʒɪəriə/, officially the Federal Republic of Nigeria, is a federal constitutional republic comprising 36 states and its Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Let me state it clearly for the mugus here, America and Nigeria operate formally the EXACT same type of government. America can call itself angelic bottox of heaven, it does not matter, next time go and read a book or two before you bring your illiterate arguments here.

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by ikeyman00(m): 4:26pm On Oct 31, 2013
@@@@
obitwo
God punish you for that

Your father's land shall be called no man's land

Very soon, we shall know who owns what

Eeediot

may earthquake and amadioha run riot in your fathers' domain from now
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 6:55pm On Oct 31, 2013
@ Crowe.

Thanks for the wonderful post, resource and compound clarification.

Like I sated times uncountable, Nigeria and America shares the same brand of government from top to bottom even via derinitions and labels.

Sometimes I do understand these villagers, poorly educated illiterates and half backed Nigerians and the need to educate them accordingly, but they get carried away with their predisposed tribal idiocies and village understanding international issues.

Imagine saying the US is not a federation because they answer to united states when in fact, The US is a discription while the constitutional qualification and enshrined system of government is Federation.

The other Dullard said according to the same constition he posted, Nigeria is a federation starting from 1963 and again reasserted in the 1999 constitution, still, the Dullard argued that Nigeria is a republic as of there is the word republic discounts the fact that Nigeria is a federation.

Seriously, whose fault is this? Lack of social studies and general education or just personal retardation and foolishness?

Ignorance is of course a disease, but extra dangerous when componded with idiocy and tribalism....
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by eaglechild: 8:03pm On Oct 31, 2013
Delafruita: by virtue of the 1999 constitution,lagos and indeed every other state in nigeria belongs to anybody and everybody.that does not take a way the fact that there are aborigines in lagos as there are in every other place in nigeria
grin
ABORIGINES!
Are you saying they have quelled into insignificance?

Anyway Lagos is free for all, no man's land.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by eaglechild: 8:06pm On Oct 31, 2013
agbameta: @ Crowe.

Thanks for the wonderful post, resource and compound clarification.

Like I sated times uncountable, Nigeria and America shares the same brand of government from top to bottom even via derinitions and labels.

Sometimes I do understand these villagers, poorly educated illiterates and half backed Nigerians and the need to educate them accordingly, but they get carried away with their predisposed tribal idiocies and village understanding international issues.

Imagine saying the US is not a federation because they answer to united states when in fact, The US is a discription while the constitutional qualification and enshrined system of government is Federation.

The other Dullard said according to the same constition he posted, Nigeria is a federation starting from 1963 and again reasserted in the 1999 constitution, still, the Dullard argued that Nigeria is a republic as of there is the word republic discounts the fact that Nigeria is a federation.

Seriously, whose fault is this? Lack of social studies and general education or just personal retardation and foolishness?

Ignorance is of course a disease, but extra dangerous when componded with idiocy and tribalism....

That feeling you get when you are reading crap and the writer knows he wrote crap.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by eaglechild: 8:08pm On Oct 31, 2013
CROWÉ: Please explain to us what the difference is in the two, we want to know.

The United States of America (USA), commonly referred to as the United States (US), America, or simply the States, is a federal republic[10][11] consisting of 50 states, 16 territories, a federal district, and various overseas extraterritorial jurisdictions.

Nigeria Listeni/naɪˈdʒɪəriə/, officially the Federal Republic of Nigeria, is a federal constitutional republic comprising 36 states and its Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Let me state it clearly for the mugus here, America and Nigeria operate formally the EXACT same type of government. America can call itself angelic bottox of heaven, it does not matter, next time go and read a book or two before you bring your illiterate arguments here.
I heard we also share the same constitution.

Even you know how incredibly fooooolish your write up is.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 8:15pm On Oct 31, 2013
eaglechild:
That feeling you get when you are reading crap and the writer knows he wrote crap.

Stop stressing your meager brain and lousy capabilities, this is beyond your village level of education and worldly exposure.

Stick to the usual village square late night Biafra stories over pami and grasscutter...
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 8:26pm On Oct 31, 2013
eaglechild:

Village illiterate, what's constitution in your country and the US got to do with the fact that your country is a federation as prescribed and recognized by the Nigerian constitution just as equally stated by the American constitution?

Instead of your idiotic and redundant constitution ignorance, why not just go ahead and tell is your country is not a federation?

What a Dullard.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by eaglechild: 8:35pm On Oct 31, 2013
agbameta:

Village illiterate, what's constitution in your country and the US got to do with the fact that your country is a federation as prescribed and recognized by the Nigerian constitution just as equally stated by the American constitution?

Instead of your idiotic and redundant constitution ignorance, why not just go ahead and tell is your country is not a federation?

What a Dullard.
From your write ups, it will be self degrading to engage you in an argument, judging by your level of intelligence.

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 8:38pm On Oct 31, 2013
Billyonaire: Admit that you are wrong, when you are wrong and learn from those who have time to correct you. Did you notice that those that corrected you, did so in utmost humility without cursing ? It means that intelligence comes without ego, but ignorance comes with curses and egotistic tendencies.

After a thread where you messed up by displaying how deep your ignorance is for not knowing the meaning of sovereignty and how it is applied, I expected you not to ever engage in or be found around any debate on NL especially in the politics section.

If possible delete your handle and start over.

2 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 9:22pm On Oct 31, 2013
eaglechild:
From your write ups, it will be self degrading to engage you in an argument, judging by your level of intelligence.

Expecting a village isi ewu Dullard like you to engage raised points and even adequately defend your idiotic and ignorant assertions was like asking you to perform and excels beyond your installed meager village illiterate capacity.

Refusing to tell us point blank if your country is a federation and instead dodging your way out with the usual retardeddd excuse was comical and village like...

STFU sometimes instead of boring me and threads with your shallow and diseased presence.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Rad1cal: 9:30pm On Oct 31, 2013
eaglechild:

The rude pig is a confirmed psychopathic idiott.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by CROWE: 9:36pm On Oct 31, 2013
eaglechild:

There is no saving some of you.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 31, 2013
9jacrip:

After a thread where you messed up by displaying how deep your ignorance is for not knowing the meaning of sovereignty and how it is applied, I expected you not to ever engage in or be found around any debate on NL especially in the politics section.

If possible delete your handle and start over.

Hhahaha the day PovertyBillionaire exposed himself as not knowing what Sovereignty meant was the day I vowed never to engage the illiterate clown again.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 10:05pm On Oct 31, 2013
kingoflag:

Hhahaha the day PovertyBillionaire exposed himself as not knowing what Sovereignty meant was the day I vowed never to engage the illiterate clown again.

LOL!
The way he latched on to his ignorance was epic! He defended it vehemently, it was so funny but at the same time annoying.

This is the same way some people on this thread have chosen to go the way of Billyonaire, despite the fact that it has been pointed out that Nigeria built its constitution using that of USA. I cannot wait for them to bow in disgrace so I can bookmark this page for reference in the future

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Delafruita(m): 11:36pm On Oct 31, 2013
9jacrip:

LOL!
The way he latched on to his ignorance was epic! He defended it vehemently, it was so funny but at the same time annoying.

This is the same way some people on this thread have chosen to go the way of Billyonaire, despite the fact that it has been pointed out that Nigeria built its constitution using that of USA. I cannot wait for them to bow in disgrace so I can bookmark this page for reference in the future
please dont lose sight of the purpose of the thread which the position states occupy in the nigerian system vis a vis the american system.do states in nigeria share the same status as states in america?is it appropiate to tag a state in nigeria as "state of osun" bearing in mind the fact that the state belongs to the federal republic of nigeria
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by eaglechild: 12:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
Delafruita: please dont lose sight of the purpose of the thread which the position states occupy in the nigerian system vis a vis the american system.do states in nigeria share the same status as states in america?is it appropiate to tag a state in nigeria as "state of osun" bearing in mind the fact that the state belongs to the federal republic of nigeria
Don't mind those ignorant peeps.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by oilsuop: 1:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
madam_oringo:

LMAO...you dey mind them?? ibos WILL BE THE BIGGEST LOSER IN THE WORLD when Nigeria breaks because they will be made to live in their biafra! That is why they are scared or worried about what Yorubas call their lands! In the whole Nigeria and the world, the only people who think Lagos is iboland is ibos, so don't sweat it! I know their LOSS this time will be 100000000000 times that of 1967!
yyyyibos must leave yorubaland now sad
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 2:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
Delafruita: please dont lose sight of the purpose of the thread which the position states occupy in the nigerian system vis a vis the american system.do states in nigeria share the same status as states in america?is it appropiate to tag a state in nigeria as "state of osun" bearing in mind the fact that the state belongs to the federal republic of nigeria

The fact that we practice federalism differently because of our crooked, tribal and incompetent ways has nothing to do with the fact that Nigeria is a federation just like the us including the fact that we modeled our system of government based on the American system of government.

You can not substitute constitutional facts with your own ignorant opinion and sentiments..
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Samxiulee: 2:58pm On Nov 01, 2013
CROWÉ: Okay let me clarify, a country can be both a federation and a republic at the same.

A country is a federation if it is a union of multiple self governing states, that is why America calls itself the united states, Germany is also the united states because they were separate kingdoms before they joined together in 1870 and became the German empire, India is also the united states. Meanwhile a country is a republic if its government is a public one rather the private affairs of a chosen nobility for example. So you can see that republicanism and federalism are two different concepts, you can use both of them together. I will give you guys a few examples of federal republics:

Argentine Federation
Republic of Austria
Federative Republic of Brazil
Federal Republic of Germany
Republic of India
United Mexican States
Federal Republic of Nigeria (we call ourselves federal but we practice unitarism because our leaders are idiots)
Russian Federation
United States of America

So don't confuse it, a country doesn't have to call itself a federal republic before you know it is one. America and Mexico were the most naturally created federal republics, they were states that combined to form those countries while most of the others saw their system of government and decided they liked it.

Hopefully this clarifies things.
are you aware that UK and UAE are federation?one is a constitutional and the other absolute monarchy,Nigeria was a federation but not a republic until 1963,Nigeria then was like Canada,Australia and co,so please don't confuse federation with republic.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 3:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
Sam xiu lee: are you aware that UK and UAE are federation?one is a constitutional and the other absolute monarchy,Nigeria was a federation but not a republic until 1963,Nigeria then was like Canada,Australia and co,so please don't confuse federation with republic.

Nigeria is a federal republic

United states is a federal republic

The poster was right about the above.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by CROWE: 4:25pm On Nov 01, 2013
Sam xiu lee: are you aware that UK and UAE are federation?one is a constitutional and the other absolute monarchy,Nigeria was a federation but not a republic until 1963,Nigeria then was like Canada,Australia and co,so please don't confuse federation with republic.

Firstly, you have not made a pint here, I cannot see what you are trying to say and secondly, the UK is not a federation, It is a unitary state, I would like for you to find one, any documents where it is written that the UK is a federation.

Please, before any stupid idiot comes and argues with me about what the fvck a government is or what not do some god damned research, arseholes. Lemme help you, read these pages for Christ's sake.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitary_state
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Alxmyr(m): 6:13pm On Nov 01, 2013
Except another judge rule otherwise, State of Lagos or State of Osun is unconstitutional. Every right thinking government in a democracy should subscrbe to rule of law and Lagos and Osun should revert back to their former name. Or appeal the decision of the judge.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Samxiulee: 6:47pm On Nov 01, 2013
CROWÉ:

Firstly, you have not made a pint here, I cannot see what you are trying to say and secondly, the UK is not a federation, It is a unitary state, I would like for you to find one, any documents where it is written that the UK is a federation.

Please, before any stupid idiot comes and argues with me about what the fvck a government is or what not do some god damned research, arseholes. Lemme help you, read these pages for Christ's sake.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitary_state
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation
mybad,I was reading with my phone in the office,I thought I saw in your statement that a country can not be a federation and a republic at the same time,my apology jare.
Btw lagos state state of lagos is the same jare.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Ikengawo: 7:43pm On Nov 01, 2013
It doesn't matter that the US and Nigeria are both federations.

Russia is also a Federal Republic, and it has provinces

These naming conventions are based on history as much as government structure.
Again. Nigeria started with Regions and ended with States. The regions weren't called Region of the East Region of the North and Region of the West, it was Western Region, Northern Region, Eastern Region.

The Regions broke into smaller sub regions when the Regions idea was abolished, but the naming convention created by our history remained.
East-Central State, Bendel State. The word region was simply replaced by state and the naming convention of structuring it as if it was a region remained.

The truth is the Nigeria's states aren't states, they're still regions. Kano is the Region region, Lagos is the Lagos region, Anambra is the Anambra region. In America each state functions as it's own country. The smallest least imporant states still have their own budget for science and research, policing, every little possible thing. They even have armies (national guard). This isn't what happens in Nigeria and it doesn't happen that was for a reason.

Nigerian history simply changed the word region into state, but politically they still function as the regions did. There's no such a thing as State of Osun because it implies that Osun is it's own country that joined a union of 36 other countries, it's not.

2 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 8:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
^^^. So, if den ask you for exam if Nigeria is a federation with state, you go just insult and embarrass yourself by answering with this ignorant nonsense about region instead of federation with states as stated by your own constitution?

Must you village illiterates always substitute enshrined constitutional facts with your ignorant, warped and personal opinion?
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by CROWE: 3:46am On Nov 02, 2013
Ikengawo: It doesn't matter that the US and Nigeria are both federations.

Russia is also a Federal Republic, and it has provinces

These naming conventions are based on history as much as government structure.
Again. Nigeria started with Regions and ended with States. The regions weren't called Region of the East Region of the North and Region of the West, it was Western Region, Northern Region, Eastern Region.

The Regions broke into smaller sub regions when the Regions idea was abolished, but the naming convention created by our history remained.
East-Central State, Bendel State. The word region was simply replaced by state and the naming convention of structuring it as if it was a region remained.

The truth is the Nigeria's states aren't states, they're still regions. Kano is the Region region, Lagos is the Lagos region, Anambra is the Anambra region. In America each state functions as it's own country. The smallest least imporant states still have their own budget for science and research, policing, every little possible thing. They even have armies (national guard). This isn't what happens in Nigeria and it doesn't happen that was for a reason.

Nigerian history simply changed the word region into state, but politically they still function as the regions did. There's no such a thing as State of Osun because it implies that Osun is it's own country that joined a union of 36 other countries, it's not.

Federation means autonomous units, it has nothing to do with armies. Different federations have different levels of autonomy. In America they may have 54 different national guards for all their separate states but they have one unified education system while in Australia they don't even have national guards but they do have separate education systems for each state. Federalism is a fundamental idea, not a specific set of laws, so the exact manifestation can differ from country to country but as long as the base concept is still there a country is still considered a federal state.

Let me tell you the major difference between federal states and unitary state, in a unitary state, the administrative divisions, you can call them region, prefecture it does not matter, they are given their power by the centre and they answer to the centre but in a federal state their power is guaranteed by the constitution and the center is not their boss, he cannot control them or order them around, that is the difference. I stated it previously that even though Nigeria is not technically a federal state because our state governments are the bichettes of the federal government, we just call ourselves federal.

This conversation is going off topic. Given that Nigeria is officialy a federal state, by definition our states should be allowed to refer to themselves as the state of xx. The only issue here is that we claim to practice federalism but we have no idea wtf federalism is so when someone tries to do something that is in line with federalism, the stupid federal government comes out and opens its dirty mouth stopping them. The federal government is the problem in Nigeria, it is a powerful monster that is afraid that her children will run away from her so it shelters them, even to the point of denying them a chance at success.

P.S. Don't use Russia as a benchmark/example for anything, nobody needs to be looking toward that prison for anything.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Ikengawo: 4:36am On Nov 02, 2013
CROWÉ:

Federation means autonomous units, it has nothing to do with armies. Different federations have different levels of autonomy. In America they may have 54 different national guards for all their separate states but they have one unified education system while in Australia they don't even have national guards but they do have separate education systems for each state. Federalism is a fundamental idea, not a specific set of laws, so the exact manifestation can differ from country to country but as long as the base concept is still there a country is still considered a federal state.

Let me tell you the major difference between federal states and unitary state, in a unitary state, the administrative divisions, you can call them region, prefecture it does not matter, they are given their power by the centre and they answer to the centre but in a federal state their power is guaranteed by the constitution and the center is not their boss, he cannot control them or order them around, that is the difference. I stated it previously that even though Nigeria is not technically a federal state because our state governments are the bichettes of the federal government, we just call ourselves federal.

This conversation is going off topic. Given that Nigeria is officialy a federal state, by definition our states should be allowed to refer to themselves as the state of xx. The only issue here is that we claim to practice federalism but we have no idea wtf federalism is so when someone tries to do something that is in line with federalism, the stupid federal government comes out and opens its dirty mouth stopping them. The federal government is the problem in Nigeria, it is a powerful monster that is afraid that her children will run away from her so it shelters them, even to the point of denying them a chance at success.

P.S. Don't use Russia as a benchmark/example for anything, nobody needs to be looking toward that prison for anything.

History dictates nomenclature. The naming conventions of all countries comes from their history, not their form of government. For example, Canada is a Federal Republic, but it has provinces, not states. Even in America, not every state is a state, Virginia for example is technically a Commonwealth and it's name is the Commonwealth of Virginia

I stand by my point that Nigeria's history or going from East Colony -> Eastern Region -> to Eastern Central State ,-> to Imo State and Abia State is the reason for our specific nomenclature and we have every right in the world to express our unique history through out own naming conventions. It's sad that when Nigerias see something Nigerians are doing and something whites are doing different, we automatically assume they're right and we're wrong.

Lagos State used to be Lagos Colony. Not Colony of Lagos. So when it stopped being a colony and started being a state it's going to be Lagos State not State of Lagos

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 5:01am On Nov 02, 2013
^^^^^^ you can confuse yourself with your ribbish and ignorance as mich as you want, but Nigeria is a federation with states just like the US.

Nigeria is also a federation with states according to your own country's constitution.

The Nigerian constitution determines what we are as a nation, not your own ignorant and personal opinion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EXPOSED: Judge Paid N2billion To Disqualify Buhari; / As Nigerians Rush Abroad, Foreign Tourists Storm Nigeria (pics) / Disturbing Photos Of A Man Who Turned Into Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.