Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,203 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” (4962 Views)

Female Army Cadet Tortures A Man For Calling Her "Beautiful" / Bashir El-rufai Under Fire For Calling Fayose A "Vagabond" On Twitter (snapshots / Fayose Mocks Buhari For Calling INEC Independent Nigeria Electoral Commission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Ikengawo: 6:49am On Oct 31, 2013
why are you angry?
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by gramci: 6:53am On Oct 31, 2013
agbameta:

The fact that the US is not Nigeria means the US is not a federation just like Nigeria? Looks like they feed you villagers dummy and illiterate water to drink everyday.

agbamental you need help, you never hesitate to expose your ignorance

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 6:58am On Oct 31, 2013
Delafruita: they're not the same.the american arrangement is somewhat similar to the USSR with the difference been cohesiveness in the american arrangement.nigeria is one single country which was first divided into regions,then states with this division been at the whims and caprices of the leader of the country at those times.america on the other hand began with the first 13 states,then other states joined the union.one or two of the states were even bought.the big difference therein is that while nigeria can further subdivide its states,america cannot do same

What's your pointless and disjointed essay got to do with the fact that federation means federation and both countries are not only federations, but also run the same system of government?

Please stop derailing the thread with your silly and irrelevant rubbish.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 7:00am On Oct 31, 2013
gramci:

agbamental you need help, you never hesitate to expose your ignorance

Please STFU if you have no valid and sensible inputs you dumb and clueless troll.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 7:03am On Oct 31, 2013
Ikengawo: why are you angry?

Schooling you is what you people call angry now?
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Rhino5dm: 7:13am On Oct 31, 2013
Ikengawo: why are you angry?

I thought you dummies have been clamoring for separation?

Read between the lines, Nigeria was amalgamated and was never a country. By 2015 this forced marriage SHALL be dissolved.

GOD BLESS ODUA REPUBLIC

2 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 7:21am On Oct 31, 2013
agbameta: These ignorant and illiterate judges sha. What about federate entities like the US where states are labeled state of new York, state of Vermont. State of California. California's official website says state of California.

So, going by this ignorant judges reasoning, California belongs to the state of California and not part of the US?

What a tard....

You know this was how I looked when I first read the article:

shocked
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 7:23am On Oct 31, 2013
drnoel:
I wonder who the ignoramus is, a qualified judge tells u his mind and u are arguing. If my geography serves me, is there no new york in new York and carlifonia in carlifonia. Thats why those states can use those terms. I think the judge is right. Besides thats his own opinion.

lmao at there is no NY in NY. There is not onlyNY in NY, there is even the city of NY.

You are either insulting the word geography or talking about your own warped village geography.

By the way, Los Angeles calls itself city of LA, doesn't it mean LA is a separate state of country?

This is just another display of gross lack of common sense, sophistication and inability to interpret the law based on the same federal understanding.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 31, 2013
drnoel:
I wonder who the ignoramus is, a qualified judge tells u his mind and u are arguing. If my geography serves me, is there no new york in new York and carlifonia in carlifonia. Thats why those states can use those terms. I think the judge is right. Besides thats his own opinion.
Why dont you just stick to what you know?
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Delafruita(m): 7:25am On Oct 31, 2013
agbameta:

What's your pointless and disjointed essay got to do with the fact that federation means federation and both countries are not only federations, but also run the same system of government?

seems you lack basic comprehension skills
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 31, 2013
Ikengawo:

the naming convention was set before the creation of both the united states and california as explained in my previous post. The 13 colonies are 13 states or countries. If the federating unit they create is called "the United States" it would be senseless of them not to follow this naming convention for the rest of the states they will later incorporate. Get it?

Mr.American Historian,

Ummm... how about Hawaii, Missouri and Alaska?

Sincerely,

ShuttDaFunxckUp!
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 31, 2013
agbameta:

Admit that you are wrong, when you are wrong and learn from those who have time to correct you. Did you notice that those that corrected you, did so in utmost humility without cursing ? It means that intelligence comes without ego, but ignorance comes with curses and egotistic tendencies.

5 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Delafruita(m): 7:29am On Oct 31, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

I thought you dummies have been clamoring for separation?

Read between the lines, Nigeria was amalgamated and was never a country. By 2015 this forced marriage SHALL be dissolved.

GOD BLESS ODUA REPUBLIC

it became a federation in 1963
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 7:30am On Oct 31, 2013
Billyonaire: Admit that you are wrong, when you are wrong and learn from those who have time to correct you. Did you notice that those that corrected you, did so in utmost humility without cursing ? It means that intelligence comes without ego, but ignorance comes with curses and egotistic tendencies.

Village ignorants corrected me. lmao. Even you dumb billygoat sounds more rretarded than the other villagers.

3 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 7:35am On Oct 31, 2013
Delafruita: seems you lack basic comprehension skills

Must you get mad or force me to comprehend your shallow and ignorant rubbish?
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Delafruita(m): 7:35am On Oct 31, 2013
agbameta:

Village ignorants corrected me. lmao. Even you dumb billygoat sounds more rretarded than the other villagers.
more than anything else,its important to be able to honourably disagree on issues.name-calling is the stuff ignoramuses are made of.doesnt suit you very much

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Ikengawo: 7:37am On Oct 31, 2013
do you understand what I meant when I said "naming convention"

A naming convention is a convention for naming things. The intent is to allow useful information to be deduced from the names based on regularities. For instance, in Manhattan, streets are numbered; with East-West streets called "Streets" and North-South streets called "Avenues".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_convention

Ok, now that we're there, i'll continue. The naming convention for american states was established during the 13 colonies period, when the 13 colonies were in all respects 13 different countries.

Nigeria's naming convention was established upon independence, when states were simply names of geographic regions (North east west)

so the naming convention reflected Northern Region, Eastern Region, Western Region

When the regions were broken down further, the convention carried, only because Nigeria was determined to abolish 'regions' they changed the world region to state. "East-Central State" "Midwest State" "Rivers State" etc etc. As nigeria broke it's states down more and more, we were left with the same naming convention with more states. Abia state, Osun State, Sokoto State.

so. As you see the history of America and the history of Nigeria are different. America developed it's naming convention for states based on the fact that it was 13 counties uniting. Nigeria developed its naming convention of states because it was a single entity with regions based on partitions of that single entity.

As America grew, being that it's a naming convention, it kept the naming structure based on it's history
As Nigeria partitioned, being that it's a naming convention, it kept the naming structure based on it's history.

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Ikengawo: 7:40am On Oct 31, 2013
kingoflag:

Mr.American Historian,

Ummm... how about Hawaii, Missouri and Alaska?

Sincerely,

ShuttDaFunxckUp!

mature

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 7:46am On Oct 31, 2013
Ikengawo: do you understand what I meant when I said "naming convention"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_convention

Ok, now that we're there, i'll continue. The naming convention for american states was established during the 13 colonies period, when the 13 colonies were in all respects 13 different countries.

Nigeria's naming convention was established upon independence, when states were simply names of geographic regions (North east west)

so the naming convention reflected Northern Region, Eastern Region, Western Region

When the regions were broken down further, the convention carried, only because Nigeria was determined to abolish 'regions' they changed the world region to state. "East-Central State" "Midwest State" "Rivers State" etc etc. As nigeria broke it's states down more and more, we were left with the same naming convention with more states. Abia state, Osun State, Sokoto State.

so. As you see the history of America and the history of Nigeria are different. America developed it's naming convention for states based on the fact that it was 13 counties uniting. Nigeria developed its naming convention of states because it was a single entity with regions based on partitions of that single entity.

As America grew, being that it's a naming convention, it kept the naming structure based on it's history
As Nigeria partitioned, being that it's a naming convention, it kept the naming structure based on it's history.

We are talking about states and you are parading with street names and some irrelevant wiki nonsense....

Still, what's this got to do with the word federation and the fact that both countries runs the same system of government and federal entities?
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by CROWE: 7:49am On Oct 31, 2013
I weep for Nigeria, a nation over flowing with compound mugus.

on a more serious note.
emk4lif:
That's because its the 'United States', its more of a 'confederate federation' if there's anything like that, nigeria is more of a centralized federation and to a large extent the states draw their authority from the centre on most issues so the correct designation should be lagos state,

The problem with your argument is that by that definition Nigeria is not a federation, we just identify ourselves as such. You see, in a federation, the federal government exists solely to glue the AUTONOMOUS states together and participate in relations with outside entities, the states govern and rule over themselves, that is the operative part of a what makes it a federation, as long as the centre is were power is derived we become what is called a Unitary republic. , do you know that in Australia every state has its own SSCE? They don't just maintain their own schools, they also have their own exam standards, unlike in Nigeria were if you want to so much as have your own electrical source they will claim you want to secede. By the way, German states are referred to as "the free state of X", anybody dream of adding free in Nigeria and Aso rock will have a heart attack.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by justhelp(m): 7:54am On Oct 31, 2013
etenyong: The state of Osun. is it d same as Osun state? Pls another judge should correct dem also. This APCs governors are enemies of d unity of dis country.
Mumu do you think SW gov did not know what they are doing? Don't worry you will soon understand, we are not fools like your tribe. If you can't figure out my point kill your self.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 31, 2013
Ikengawo:

mature

Whatever, just answer my question.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 7:58am On Oct 31, 2013
agbameta:

We are talking about states and you are parading with street names and some irrelevant wiki nonsense....

Still, what's this got to do with the word federation and the fact that both countries runs the same system of government and federal entities?

Just ask him about Hawaii, Alaska and co abeg.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 31, 2013
Ikengawo: America developed it's naming convention for states based on the fact that it was 13 counties uniting.

Lmaoooo
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Ikengawo: 8:02am On Oct 31, 2013
very mature
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by justhelp(m): 8:14am On Oct 31, 2013
Jeel: There is this imaginary perception or conception that Lagos is 'out' of Naija. Its not spoken out or written any where but its just in some Nigerians.
not only Lagos for your info, but you are on point.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 8:15am On Oct 31, 2013
kingoflag:

Just ask him about Hawaii, Alaska and co abeg.

Actually, I did, he just didn't answer and instead lashed on to some irrelevant street naming nonsense.

They dont have worldly understanding of such realities. They don't even know anything about their own country and Its system of government.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 8:20am On Oct 31, 2013
kingoflag:

Lmaoooo

I missed that huge joke. lmao.

We should have educated him per the meaning of counties...

This is what you get when village folks try to sound funky.....lmao.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Delafruita(m): 8:30am On Oct 31, 2013
CROWÉ: I weep for Nigeria, a nation over flowing with compound mugus.

on a more serious note.

The problem with your argument is that by that definition Nigeria is not a federation, we just identify ourselves as such. You see, in a federation, the federal government exists solely to glue the AUTONOMOUS states together and participate in relations with outside entities, the states govern and rule over themselves, that is the operative part of a what makes it a federation, as long as the centre is were power is derived we become what is called a Unitary republic. , do you know that in Australia every state has its own SSCE? They don't just maintain their own schools, they also have their own exam standards, unlike in Nigeria were if you want to so much as have your own electrical source they will claim you want to secede. By the way, German states are referred to as "the free state of X", anybody dream of adding free in Nigeria and Aso rock will have a heart attack.
i hope it can now be understood from this post that nigeria is not a federation,its a republic.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 31, 2013
Interesting!
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 8:45am On Oct 31, 2013
Delafruita: i hope it can now be understood from this post that nigeria is not a federation,its a republic.

This is how people fail WAEC. So if den ask you for WAEC, na republic you go answer instead of federation. ?

The fact that your leaders are incapable of practicing true federalism even like this dumb judge because of greed and other social vices doesn't mean your system of government is not federal, federation or federalism.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Delafruita(m): 8:54am On Oct 31, 2013
agbameta:

first,Nigeria is not a federation,its a republic.been tagged a federation in name doesnt always translate to been a federation in practise.section 2(2) of the 1999 constitution regards nigeria as a "federation consisting of states and a federal capital territory".please note the number of states were not specified section 3(1) goes ahead to list the 36 states in nigeria.the same constitution then goes ahead in item 14 of the exclusive legislative list of the second schedule to grant the powers to create states to the national assembly of the federal republic of nigeria.the laws of nigeria are designed in such a way that the center almost reigns supreme.states are considered creation of the republic and the republic can create more if it so desires.its not the same as a union.states in nigeria are the property of the republic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3 Nigerians Make Top 10 Richest Black In The World / Warning To Ndigbo In The Niger Delta; / Thread For My Yoruba Brothers Only (on the benue massacre)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.