Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,426 members, 7,822,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” (4948 Views)

Female Army Cadet Tortures A Man For Calling Her "Beautiful" / Bashir El-rufai Under Fire For Calling Fayose A "Vagabond" On Twitter (snapshots / Fayose Mocks Buhari For Calling INEC Independent Nigeria Electoral Commission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by CROWE: 6:39am On Nov 02, 2013
Ikengawo:

History dictates nomenclature. The naming conventions of all countries comes from their history, not their form of government. For example, Canada is a Federal Republic, but it has provinces, not states. Even in America, not every state is a state, Virginia for example is technically a Commonwealth and it's name is the Commonwealth of Virginia

I stand by my point that Nigeria's history or going from East Colony -> Eastern Region -> to Eastern Central State ,-> to Imo State and Abia State is the reason for our specific nomenclature and we have every right in the world to express our unique history through out own naming conventions. It's sad that when Nigerias see something Nigerians are doing and something whites are doing different, we automatically assume they're right and we're wrong.

Lagos State used to be Lagos Colony. Not Colony of Lagos. So when it stopped being a colony and started being a state it's going to be Lagos State not State of Lagos

Who told you that Virginia is not a state? commonwealth means absolutely nothing. Its just the official name. As far as the nation is concerned they are just states, the difference is in America nobody cares whether you call yourself commonwealth or not but in Nigeria everything is impudent and secessionist.

This designation, which has no legal impact, emphasizes that they have a "government based on the common consent of the people"[5] as opposed to one legitimized through their earlier royal colony status that was derived from the monarch of Great Britain. The word commonwealth in this context refers to the common "wealth", or welfare, of the public[6] and is derived from a loose translation of the Latin term res publica (cf. the 17th-century Commonwealth of England).

NO. LEGAL. IMPACT. In other words, its just a fanciable name, its like saying "I ate rice yesterday" or "yesterday, I ate rice". State of Lagos or Lagos state has no bearing on its status in thus nation. Nigeria has gotten paranoid with this whole sovereign thing. Do you know that in Germany they don't only say the state of, they say the FREE state of. I should convince our governor to try it LOL.

Also Canada is a Federal Monarchy not a Federal Republic, the queen is the sovereign of Canada.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Lower Niger Congress! Have A Feel Of It! / https://www.nairaland.com/2728524/efcc-arrests-abuja-civil-servant / Breaking: Donald Trump Warns Nigerians : “if I Win, You Leave”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.