Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,059 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” (4943 Views)

Female Army Cadet Tortures A Man For Calling Her "Beautiful" / Bashir El-rufai Under Fire For Calling Fayose A "Vagabond" On Twitter (snapshots / Fayose Mocks Buhari For Calling INEC Independent Nigeria Electoral Commission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by bamto(m): 9:14pm On Oct 30, 2013
The Judge says Lagos is wrong to refer to itself in that way when it is just one of the states in the Nigerian federation
The trial of a teenager and three persons accused of robbing a church during a vigil was stalled on Tuesday as the judge, Ebenezer Adebajo, questioned the prosecutorial power of Lagos State after it referred to itself as “The State of Lagos”.
Justice Adebajo of a Lagos High Court ruled that “The State of Lagos” was not the same thing as Lagos state, because Lagos state exists as a part of the Nigerian federation and that using the name “The State of Lagos” suggested that the state belongs to Lagos.
The defendants, Jamiu Saka, 16; Yusuf Lateef, 19; Chukwudi Onwuharanye, 18 and David Onokpise, 19, were alleged to have on May 19, 2012, invaded Sowers Ministry International during a vigil, armed with guns and cutlasses, and robbed the General Overseer of said church, Nelson Opara, of his mobile phone and money.
The defendants were arraigned on a three-count charge, offences that are contrary to Section 295(2) (b) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State 2011, and they pleaded not guilty.
When the court proceedings commenced on Tuesday, the state counsel, Olaitan Soetan, argued with Justice Adebajo that the matter could not go on as “The State of Lagos” was used as prosecution.
The judge however countered the argument stating that “Section 3 of the Constitution is headed States of the Federation. It is by virtue of this section that a State belonging to the Federation, note the use of the word ‘of,’ is named as Lagos. Thus we have Lagos State.”
He further argued that “this application is brought against The State of Lagos. It is a State belonging to Lagos” and then asked “does Lagos own a State? Who is Lagos or what is Lagos?”
“Lagos exists by virtue of Section 3 of the Constitution and it comprises of named local government areas. To say “The State of Lagos” is to refer in my opinion to a State that belongs to Lagos.
“It is not the same thing as Lagos State. It is for this reason that I do not accept that the party against whom the application is brought exists.”
Justice Adebajo subsequently adjourned the matter to December 19 for ruling to be delivered on the prosecutorial power of Lagos State using “The State of Lagos”.
Lagos state led a host of states in the southwestern part of Nigeria by developing its own flag and coat of arms in 2011 as rights of federating states.
Bayela and Kwara states also have their own flags and anthems.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/147550-judge-faults-lagos-calling-self-state-lagos.html
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 30, 2013
cheesy cheesy cheesy
imagine the hubris of these lagos people
"The state of Lagos" my nyash. wetin man no go see for naija.

3 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by dejijohns(m): 10:06pm On Oct 30, 2013
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Zet72(m): 11:41pm On Oct 30, 2013
It was that unqualified SAN fashola who coind that word "the state of lagos"

3 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 12:12am On Oct 31, 2013
These ignorant and illiterate judges sha. What about federate entities like the US where states are labeled state of new York, state of Vermont. State of California. California's official website says state of California.

So, going by this ignorant judges reasoning, California belongs to the state of California and not part of the US?

What a tard....

4 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by etenyong(m): 1:06am On Oct 31, 2013
The state of Osun. is it d same as Osun state? Pls another judge should correct dem also. This APCs governors are enemies of d unity of dis country.

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Brimmie(m): 1:09am On Oct 31, 2013
agbameta: These ignorant and illiterate judges sha. What about federate entities like the US where states are labeled state of new York, state of Vermont. State of California. California's official website says state of California.

So, going by this ignorant judges reasoning, California belongs to the state of California and not part of the US?

What a tard....

Kpim! On-Point!
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:24am On Oct 31, 2013
agbameta: These ignorant and illiterate judges sha. What about federate entities like the US where states are labeled state of new York, state of Vermont. State of California. California's official website says state of California.

What a tard....

you are the tard.

is it called federal republic of america or united states?

Do you have united states of nigeria or federating states?

free education illiterate.

25 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by greatgod2012(f): 1:29am On Oct 31, 2013
But does that really matter, the judge left the case that was before him and focused on another unimportant issue. Na wa o.

#won fi ete sile, won npa lapalapa

2 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 1:31am On Oct 31, 2013

What a tard....

I was about to write almost what you just penned. I hear the State of North Carolina everyday in the local news. There is nothing wrong with saying the "State of Lagos" or State of Kano..........
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Nobody: 1:46am On Oct 31, 2013
payless:

I was about to write almost what you just penned. I hear the State of North Carolina everyday in the local news. There is nothing wrong with saying the "State of Lagos" or State of Kano..........
That's because its the 'United States', its more of a 'confederate federation' if there's anything like that, nigeria is more of a centralized federation and to a large extent the states draw their authority from the centre on most issues so the correct designation should be lagos state,

5 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by ikweremilitant: 1:53am On Oct 31, 2013
re@lchange:
cheesy cheesy cheesy
imagine the hubris of these lagos people
"The state of Lagos" my nyash. wetin man no go see for naija.
dnt mind those busy body nd i too knw pepl.sw bunch of clueles clowns

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by isalegan2: 1:59am On Oct 31, 2013
The Kingdom of Lagos. cool

Actually. . .

The Empire of Lagos! angry

Let them come and arrest me. tongue
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Zet72(m): 2:09am On Oct 31, 2013
Like some judges, like their over hyped SAN. Region of half bake .......
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Ikengawo: 3:30am On Oct 31, 2013

What a tard....

Because Nigeria is America.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Jeel: 3:40am On Oct 31, 2013
There is this imaginary perception or conception that Lagos is 'out' of Naija. Its not spoken out or written any where but its just in some Nigerians.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by bloggernaija: 4:05am On Oct 31, 2013
Let AREGBERASCAL explain to this colo judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eozgyUlDR4Y

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by fr3do(m): 5:09am On Oct 31, 2013
greatgod2012: But does that really matter, the judge left the case that was before him and focused on another unimportant issue. Na wa o.

#won fi ete sile, won npa lapalapa

Its the law na,unnecessary senrenre
But why adjourn it that far
Body dey shack the person wey write that tin(pls what do u call the plantiff's address)
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Delafruita(m): 5:50am On Oct 31, 2013

What a tard....
the scenarios are different.america is a federation of united states which willing came together to form a union while nigeria is a federation divided into states.each state is created by virtue of a decree or law hence each state belongs to the federal republic of nigeria which makes "state of lagos" or "state of osun" not just an aberration but an illegality

3 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by eaglechild: 5:53am On Oct 31, 2013

What a tard....
This is Nigeria not America.
You are the ignorant one.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by madamoringo(f): 6:05am On Oct 31, 2013
The folks on the east of the Niger are already worried - their bread and butter in Nigeria is gradually slipping away - LWKMD! Yoruba - the VERY best! We will call our lands whatever we like and you guys can burn to the ground in your jealousy and sadness - I don care fadati yin lai! grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by gramci: 6:15am On Oct 31, 2013

What a tard....

Dunce

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Ikengawo: 6:20am On Oct 31, 2013
If you guys weren't ignorant you would know that the State of California is implying that California is indeed it's own country. Before the US was united and was only 13 colonies the 13 colonies saw themselves as 13 separate countries. Thus their naming conventions reflect the United States as a UNITING of STATES (Countries). Nigeria's states weren't the uniting unites of the federation, the regions were. If the SW whats to call it's self the State of Southwest it would be more comparable to the American example, but the issue at had is that the original federating units of Nigeria, the regions, have been dissolved unlike in the US, thus comparison is impossible and misguided. Lagos State is Lagos state.

3 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by dridowu: 6:27am On Oct 31, 2013
Zet72: It was that unqualified SAN fashola who coind that word "the state of lagos"
unqualified SAN ? Wake up from ur slumber guy. Still miles away better than ur gov.
Delafruita: they're not the same.the american arrangement is somewhat similar to the USSR with the difference been cohesiveness in the american arrangement.nigeria is one single country which was first divided into regions,then states with this division been at the whims and caprices of the leader of the country at those times.america on the other hand began with the first 13 states,then other states joined the union.one or two of the states were even bought.the big difference therein is that while nigeria can further subdivide its states,america cannot do same
you are wrong bro, take ds Although there are significant differences between the United States and Nigeria, there are also many similarities:

Each nation is a former British colony that has survived a civil war
Each nation is now a federal constitutional republic with a president, senate, and House of Representatives
Each nation is made up of multiple states with a federal zone containing the nation's capital
Each nation is rich in natural resources and is one of the 10 most populous countries in the world
Each is a nation where the primary language is English but whose population is made up of multiple ethnic groups, many with their own language and culture
http://usembassynigeria..co.uk/2013/10/e-pluribus-unum-out-of-many-one.html[b]
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 6:28am On Oct 31, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

you are the tard.

is it called federal republic of america or united states?

Do you have united states of nigeria or federating states?

free education illiterate.

Oponu villager, US is a federal entity just like Nigeria. They call the US government Feds for a reason you dummy. Even your own constitutional federal government is based on the US system of government from top to bottom.

I studied US government and history including my own Nigerian history and social studies. I wonder why you dumm skull didn't google that fact before proving to me how shallow and ignorant you are about your own country. Why even bother to say anything about another country with such empty and disgraceful knowledge about your country?

US is a federation just like Nigeria with the same system of government.

3 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 6:32am On Oct 31, 2013
gramci:

Dunce

Must you village illiterate share with what you and your household see in the mirror everyday.?

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 6:41am On Oct 31, 2013
Ikengawo: If you guys weren't ignorant you would know that the State of California is implying that California is indeed it's own country. Before the US was united and was only 13 colonies the 13 colonies saw themselves as 13 separate countries. Thus their naming conventions reflect the United States as a UNITING of STATES (Countries). Nigeria's states weren't the uniting unites of the federation, the regions were. If the SW whats to call it's self the State of Southwest it would be more comparable to the American example, but the issue at had is that the original federating units of Nigeria, the regions, have been dissolved unlike in the US, thus comparison is impossible and misguided. Lagos State is Lagos state.

I was going to laugh, but the. I felt sorry for you because what ever was spent educating you sounds like a huge waste.

Btw, do you know the history of California and the other 49 states? Do they all call themselves because they were all separate countries?

The US is a federation and they call their central government Federal Governmemt for a reason.

1 Like

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by ba7man(m): 6:41am On Oct 31, 2013
Na dat one dey vex d judge?? What if they had included "Las-Gidi State of Mind"??

2 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Ikengawo: 6:43am On Oct 31, 2013
agbameta:

I was going to laugh, but the. I felt sorry for you because what ever was spent educating you sounds like a huge waste.

Btw, do you know the history of California and the other 49 states? Do they all call themselves because they were all separate countries?

The US is a federation and they call their central government Federal Governmemt for a reason.

the naming convention was set before the creation of both the united states and california as explained in my previous post. The 13 colonies are 13 states or countries. If the federating unit they create is called "the United States" it would be senseless of them not to follow this naming convention for the rest of the states they will later incorporate. Get it?

2 Likes

Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by drnoel: 6:44am On Oct 31, 2013

What a tard....
I wonder who the ignoramus is, a qualified judge tells u his mind and u are arguing. If my geography serves me, is there no new york in new York and carlifonia in carlifonia. Thats why those states can use those terms. I think the judge is right. Besides thats his own opinion.
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by Delafruita(m): 6:45am On Oct 31, 2013
agbameta:

Oponu villager, US is a federal entity just like Nigeria. They call the US government Feds for a reason you dummy. Even your own constitutional federal government is based on the US system of government from top to bottom.

I studied US government and history including my own Nigerian history and social studies. I wonder why you dumm skull didn't google that fact before proving to me how shallow and ignorant you are about your own country. Why even bother to say anything about another country with such empty and disgraceful knowledge about your country?

US is a federation just like Nigeria with the same system of government.
they're not the same.the american arrangement is somewhat similar to the USSR with the difference been cohesiveness in the american arrangement.nigeria is one single country which was first divided into regions,then states with this division been at the whims and caprices of the leader of the country at those times.america on the other hand began with the first 13 states,then other states joined the union.one or two of the states were even bought.the big difference therein is that while nigeria can further subdivide its states,america cannot do same
Re: Judge Faults Lagos For Calling Self “the State Of Lagos” by agbameta: 6:46am On Oct 31, 2013
eaglechild:
This is Nigeria not America.
You are the ignorant one.

The fact that the US is not Nigeria means the US is not a federation just like Nigeria? Looks like they feed you villagers dummy and illiterate water to drink everyday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See What Was Found In This Keke's Driver Ride (photo) / Hilarious Photo Of Nigerians Leaving The Country Because Of Buhari Adminstration / Biafra : India Government Invites IPOB Coordinator For Talk-pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.