Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing (22602 Views)

6 Catholic Seminarians Die In Accident - Graphic Photos / Man Crushed To Death While Crossing Road In Lagos Today (graphic) / See What Happens To Some Nigerians Who Try To Cross To Europe Via Sahara Desert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by donphilopus: 1:14am On Nov 01, 2013
Rescuers have found the bodies of 92 migrants, most of them women and children, strewn across the Sahara desert in northern Niger after their vehicles broke down and they died of thirst, authorities said yesterday.

Rescue worker Almoustapha Alhacen said the bodies – 52 children, 33 women and seven men from Niger – were found on the route from the northern mining town of Arlit to the Algerian border.

Many were in an advanced state of decomposition and had been partly devoured by animals, probably jackals, he said.

Northern Niger lies on a major corridor for illegal migration and people-trafficking from sub-Saharan African into north Africa and across the Mediterranean into Europe.

Most of those who make the perilous journey on ancient opentopped trucks are young African men in search of work. Rescuers said the doomed convoy of women and children was puzzling.

“It’s the first time I’ve seen anything like it,” Alhacen told Reuters by telephone from Arlit. “It is hard to understand what these women and children were doing there.”

Rescuers found many writing slates in the luggage, suggesting the children may have been students in a Qu’ranic school being taken to Algeria, perhaps to beg, Alhacen said.

Alhacen said 19 of the group had reached Algeria by foot and were repatriated to Niger by authorities there. Two survived after walking dozens of kilometers (miles) across the burning desert back to Arlit.

The bodies of 87 of the victims were buried on Wednesday in accordance with Islamic custom, he said.

The migrants had set off in two trucks from Arlit towards Tamanrasset in Algeria sometime between late September and mid-October, officials and rescue workers said.

After one truck broke down, the second turned back to look for help but was stranded and the passengers tried to return by foot.

“The search is still going on,” the mayor of Arlit, Maouli Abdouramane, said by telephone.

Many people flee poverty in Niger, ranked by the United Nations as the least developed country on earth. Some work in neighbouring Libya and Algeria to save money before returning home.

The networks which send trucks across the desert also attract migrants from across West Africa who dream of a more prosperous life in Europe.

More than 32,000 people have arrived in southern Europe from Africa so far this year.

A crackdown by Spanish authorities has largely closed a route from the West African coast to the Canary Islands which drew tens of thousands of migrants in the mid-2000s.

Instead, most now try to make the Mediterranean crossing from north Africa to southern Europe, many losing their lives when their rickety boats are wrecked.

More than 500 people are believed to have died in two shipwrecks off southern Italy this month.

SOURCE
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Afrocatalyst: 5:17am On Nov 01, 2013
na wa o. Me i no fit o, no matter how condition take bend crayfish.

2 Likes

Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by donphilopus: 7:50am On Nov 01, 2013
Na Poverty cause all these ones oooo...

Tufiakwa
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Nikapetrelli(f): 6:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
Rip,everybody wan Jand
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by herbeytv(m): 6:08pm On Nov 01, 2013
R.I.P or what else do you want me to say?
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 01, 2013
crazy mahfukaz. na dem sabi wetin dem dey find

3 Likes

Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Seanixking: 6:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
Nw that de r dead...there wil continue dier bleepin journey to gheto hell....wtf.
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by DankemzI(m): 6:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
R.i.p to the death, December don near sef
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by leggo: 6:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
What Is wrong with this hasty people.
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Breezy90(m): 6:13pm On Nov 01, 2013
african i hail thee!.if only our leaders can help develop their country pple wont migrate to oda countries not to talk of crossing d almighty sahara desert.

1 Like

Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Sermwell(m): 6:14pm On Nov 01, 2013
Insipte of this, iam certainly sure that many more will still die on this route! Poverty is a killer disease! RIP to the dead!
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 01, 2013
i still dont get why pipz still embark on this kinda journey..

#EARTH IS AT STAKE
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by johnwizey: 6:14pm On Nov 01, 2013
Where dem dey go na Sorry for askin d question cos i follow d rules which says comment before reading grin grin
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by theripper3: 6:15pm On Nov 01, 2013
obadiah777: crazy mahfukaz. na dem sabi wetin dem dey find

The same life u dey live for UK. Why u no stay borno or Yobe?

4 Likes

Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Nobody: 6:15pm On Nov 01, 2013
They died of ignorance and stark illiteracy.

Money does not grow on trees in europe.

You just can't see a house and go inside to sleep.
Being an illegal immigrant, one have to keep hiding and be on the run always.

They will end up doing what would not even think of doing for survival here in Nigeria.

They forget that most people in diaspora don't always get as much sleep as most people at home do, they end up working in two or three places, just to be up and doing.

Apart from good roads, steady power supply, security, pipe borne water, fast internet services and cooking gas of which you still have pay bills for, there's not much better things.

In coming winter season, will cause much health problems to those who does not have heater in their homes.

Most of them will end up in refugee camps and may even die of malnutrition or harsh treatment.

Most of them will end up been repatriated back home in a shameful way.

Such a huge shame that their loved ones will/may not be able to see their dead bodies before they re given mass burial.

6 Likes

Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 01, 2013
Who send dem message?
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Nobody: 6:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
the_ripper3:

The same life u dey live for UK. Why u no stay borno or Yobe?
uk ? bros i dey for agidingbi dey manage myself o jare grin grin

1 Like

Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by kwajahafiz(m): 6:19pm On Nov 01, 2013
Sub saharan Africa remains a scourge for the rest of the world....Though it is clear that even if Niger has limited resources, which is doubtfull, It should still be able to afford for its citizenry with an astute and inteligence management, which sadly all sub saharan African countries lack.....Countries that fail should be able to hire successfull countries to come in and manage them for a stipulated contracted period...call it recolonization if you want. This is dire and has gone critical.

4 Likes

Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by theripper3: 6:19pm On Nov 01, 2013
obadiah777: uk ? bros i dey for agidingbi dey manage myself o jare grin grin

Obadiah777, our very own Ubert Angel, swear say u dey Agidingbi.
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by johnwizey: 6:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
Sermwell: T
Hope dey are aware at home
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by meforyou1(m): 6:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
Extreme hunger and poverty in nothern nigeria and sahel savannah. Yet the citizens of those place don't want to go to school saying it is haram
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Dannylux: 6:25pm On Nov 01, 2013
I love my country but wouldn't say I'm proud of what It's become cry
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 01, 2013
me_for_you: Extreme hunger and poverty in nothern nigeria and sahel savannah. Yet the citizens of those place don't want to go to school saying it is haram

Those people were most likely iboz...

After all, we saw the video of the 1st set that undertook the journey, where the sole survivor was running commentary in IBo.

1 Like

Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by johnwizey: 6:26pm On Nov 01, 2013
kwajahafiz: Sub saharan Africa remains a scourge for the rest of the world....Though it is clear that even if Niger has limited resources, which is doubtfull, It should still be able to afford for its citizenry with an astute and inteligence management, which sadly all sub saharan African countries lack.....Countries that fail should be able to hire successfull countries to come in and manage them for a stipulated contracted period...call it recolonization if you want. This is dire and has gone critical.
SECONDED
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by coogar: 6:26pm On Nov 01, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzEmwtYZ4Wc

i never knew sandstorm could do this to humans. nigerians would never learn - always choosing the most difficult option to get to europe.
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by nerodenero: 6:26pm On Nov 01, 2013
At times, I wonder how God will judge men at the end of times. African leaders, stop looting, develop Africa and safe lives. RIP to the dead.

3 Likes

Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Davo93(m): 6:27pm On Nov 01, 2013
ile sanmi dun joye lo...
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Aromas: 6:27pm On Nov 01, 2013
me_for_you: Extreme hunger and poverty in nothern nigeria and sahel savannah. Yet the citizens of those place don't want to go to school saying it is haram

I Dey Come o
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by nora544: 6:30pm On Nov 01, 2013
That is not new, i saw a documentation here in Austria about the people who go thru the dessert for a better future and the point was that only 50% who start this journey stay alive.

That is not the only way there are many other ways.

It is sad but this will only change when you have real leaders not the one you have at the moment. All what they can do is waist money.

It will also change when no so called great man of God fly with his own private jet.
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by donphilopus: 6:30pm On Nov 01, 2013
johnwizey: Hope dey are aware at home
That he has MP??
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Polio: 6:31pm On Nov 01, 2013
Tragic... Life goes on! undecided
Re: 92 Migrants Die In Sahara Desert After Failed Crossing by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 01, 2013
the_ripper3:

Obadiah777, our very own Ubert Angel, swear say u dey Agidingbi.
grin grin you need signed affidavit too ? smdh cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Suggestions,i Wan Denied Of My Us Visa Can I Reapply Immediately? / Trailer Crushes 8 To Death Including Students In Abuja / Flood Takes Over Some Parts Of Uyo, Akwa Ibom (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.