Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival (19190 Views)

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story / OONI-- Seven Day Curfew Begins In Ife / Restriction Of Movement In Ikorodu Tomorrow Due To Ritual Rites (eluku & Oro). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Mynd44: 2:36pm On Nov 01, 2013
It is not illegal to drive around there within that time frame. No once cares. If you feel you have a right to express your rights, take a walk or drive through there.

Afterall, we are in a democracy, and you have freedom of movement
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 01, 2013
Some flat-headed-akpu-chopping goons who have no regard for the culture of their host will soon be deported. I dare you to go to kano and tell ado bayero to stop the durbar festival or go to birnin kebbi and tell them to stop the argungu festival because it disturbs your business activity

15 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by oduaboy1: 2:54pm On Nov 01, 2013
lakhadimar: Some flat-headed-akpu-chopping goons who have no regard for the culture of their host will soon be deported. I dare you to go to kano and tell ado bayero to stop the durbar festival or go to birnin kebbi and tell them to stop the argungu festival because it disturbs your business activity
Are you minding them,am very sure the loudmouthed pro01 who wants to exercise his legal right will cower under his wife's wrapper if he hears the sound of oro.
The flatheaded goon yet comes to nairaland and start forming rambo.

12 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Afolabs101: 2:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
@ify - My landlord owns my property and is an Oniru family member, there is no where in my rental contract that states they will observe Oro festival. Other residents have expressed the same. Last year around this time they did not restrict movement. The point is they have never restricted movement in Oniru because of Oro festival, which is why there was nothing to warn people about in the past.

@Mynd-44 - I wish I had a Benz AMG, a G63 or the new S65 V12 would be nice cheesy But firstly, not everyone who lives in Oniru lives in multi-million naira houses/flats. There are parts of Oniru where you find low cost properties, so while you're imagining some spoiled "big boy" complaining that he can't go popping champagne in the clubs for a week, you're completely missing the point. This is about our basic rights being infringed upon. We live in a democracy where we elected a government. We are no longer ruled by a monarchy. Again, another important note is that these people are almost forcing their religious beliefs on others. Has any Orthodox Church, Pentecostal or any Mosque ordered people to be under house arrest because they are doing special prayers Why can't they do their rituals and prayers in the Oba's Palace

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Ralphlauren(m): 3:01pm On Nov 01, 2013
odua boy: Omo ibo it's not to late to exercise your rights,just go to oniru between the selected time frame for the oro festival and see if you would live to tell the story.
Oun ti oju e bari ,oun ni ko fi ara mo.
You came all the way from alaigbo to tell the indeginious people how to run their culture,you must be sick in the head.

1000+ likes. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Mynd44: 3:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
Afolabs101:
@Mynd-44 - I wish I had a Benz AMG, a G63 or the new S65 V12 would be nice cheesy But firstly, not everyone who lives in Oniru lives in multi-million naira houses/flats. There are parts of Oniru where you find low cost properties, so while you're imagining some spoiled "big boy" complaining that he can't go popping champagne in the clubs for a week, you're completely missing the point. This is about our basic rights being infringed upon. We live in a democracy where we elected a government. We are no longer ruled by a monarchy. Again, another important note is that these people are almost forcing their religious beliefs on others. Has any Orthodox Church, Pentecostal or any Mosque ordered people to be under house arrest because they are doing special prayers Why can't they do their rituals and prayers in the Oba's Palace
You are missing the point here sir, no one is making it compulsory you stay at home na. The Oba does not have the legal rights to enforce a curfew as that will be a violation of your rights.

They are just telling you that if you believe in the spiritual and that you can be hexed, stay away from certain areas for a week. It is more like an advice.

You can decide to take the advice or you can decide to go anywhere you like which you have the right to. The warning if for your own good but they cannot force you so please do as you wish

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Afolabs101: 3:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
Mynd_44:
You are missing the point here sir, no one is making it compulsory you stay at home na. The Oba does not have the legal rights to enforce a curfew as that will be a violation of your rights.

They are just telling you that if you believe in the spiritual and that you can be hexed, stay away from certain areas for a week. It is more like an advice.

You can decide to take the advice or you can decide to go anywhere you like which you have the right to. The warning if for your own good but they cannot force you so please do as you wish

Your points are valid but there is the threat of violence/death for anyone who flouts the curfew. While I concede that this threat is not clearly spelt out in the notice it has been made known to us by the Oniru family members living among us.

It would be nice if I was brave enough (both spiritually and physically) to flout the rule, but I'm only a small boy so I have to obey. But at least I can come here and vent my annoyance angry

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Mynd44: 3:26pm On Nov 01, 2013
Afolabs101:

Your points are valid but there is the threat of violence/death for anyone who flouts the curfew. While I concede that this threat is not clearly spelt out in the notice it has been made known to us by the Oniru family members living among us.

It would be nice if I was brave enough (both spiritually and physically) to flout the rule, but I'm only a small boy so I have to obey. But at least I can come here and vent my annoyance angry
have fun

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:31pm On Nov 01, 2013
Afolabs101: @ify - My landlord owns my property and is an Oniru family member, there is no where in my rental contract that states they will observe Oro festival. Other residents have expressed the same. Last year around this time they did not restrict movement. The point is they have never restricted movement in Oniru because of Oro festival, which is why there was nothing to warn people about in the past.

Agidi e ti po. Nobody is forcing you to stay indoors, you may choose to be roaming the street during the said period. You are on your own. I once peeped through the louvres to look at an oro masquerade. While doing this, I knew it was dangerous.

3 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by nedu666: 3:37pm On Nov 01, 2013
i am lost abeg no be this same oba they attend church on sunday abi its is a different oba. truly i thank BABA GOD for been slow to anger and being patient

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 3:46pm On Nov 01, 2013
asha 80: comply or go back to your village.

Oga o.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by coogar: 3:49pm On Nov 01, 2013
what is this new oro all about?
i thought men are free to roam & it only restricts women from watching it. has the tradition changed?
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 01, 2013
odua boy: Omo ibo it's not to late to exercise your rights,just go to oniru between the selected time frame for the oro festival and see if you would live to tell the story.
You came all the way from alaigbo to tell the indeginious people how to run their culture,you must be sick in the head.

Oga o, did u have to bring in igbo to this issue?
I'm beginning to hate this stupid forum sef, mtchew

Its an estate, it depends on the agreement they signed, if there are no provisions for this, then he knows what to do if it affects him so much.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Polio: 3:51pm On Nov 01, 2013
Afolabs101: What if someone has a medical emergency and needs to go to hospital, also some people like bankers are still working by 9-10pm. And anyway, whats wrong with being out at 10 or 11pm?

Stay out late and find out.

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 01, 2013
proO1:

Is this not the joke of the century? Imagine the audacity of these silly bàstards! So, after forking out not less than N60m to buy an overpriced property in Oniru, one clown that calls himself Oba, who has ZERO constitutional recognition or authority whatsoever, and into whose pocket most of the millions I paid would enter, would suddenly have the audacity to "direct" me to stay indoors in my best interest? Not even plead, not even request, but DIRECT? Imagine the arrogant language, like say dem dash me free land or free house. Are you mad?

Too bad I am not a resident of that water-logged estate. I would have certainly exercised my full rights as a law-abiding night crawler, and then see how these buffoons would react to that. Arrant nonsense.
my friend' I lauf in Chinese grin , try it okay.....

3 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by nerodenero: 3:52pm On Nov 01, 2013
grin grin grin but you shouldn't have attached "omo ibo" now. It is not fair.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by madamoringo(f): 3:54pm On Nov 01, 2013
Promhize:

Oga o, did u have to bring in igbo to this issue?
I'm beginning to hate this stupid forum sef, mtchew

Its an estate, it depends on the agreement they signed, if there are no provisions for this, then he knows what to do if it affects him so much.

Now you know LAGOS has ORIGINAL OWNERS?? grin grin I dare you to go and walk around the affected area at 12 am, and tell them it is no man's land! LMAO...we will surely be rid of the empty liability that is you in Nigeria. Go back to your village / region because whether you like it or not, we know ourselves and one day, you will surely leave our lands! grin grin angry angry

7 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ola def2: my friend' I lauf in Chinese grin , try it okay.....

WTF are u saying, I can't believe people are still scared of all these nonsense in 21st century, will they kill me, they won't dare. No wonder Nigeria is still so backwards, gawd! I hate this MTFing country!

An agreement is an agreement, if there is no provision for this in such agreement, nothing will happen. Continue living ur life in hostility.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Hayoola1(m): 3:55pm On Nov 01, 2013
Adhere to the warning or go against it. The choice is yours. But remember that you have been warned!

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
Aunty Stella pls borrowing me one of your armoured BMW. I want to take a drive n see what they dont want me to see

3 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 01, 2013
madam_oringo:

Now you know LAGOS has ORIGINAL OWNERS?? grin grin I dare you to go and walk around the affected area at 12 am, and tell them it is no man's land! LMAO...we will surely be rid of the empty liability that is you in Nigeria. Go back to your village / region because whether you like it or not, we know ourselves and one day, you will surely leave our lands! grin grin angry angry

How much do you and your whole lineage worth?

This has nothing to do with Yoruba or Igbo, I have lots of yoruba friends.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
Make I close window? I dey go buy gun wey I go use defend myself
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Mynd44: 4:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
Yoruba_Jesus: Aunty Stella pls borrowing me one of your armoured BMW. I want to take a drive n see what they dont want me to see

Make sure it is jazz proof first oooo
gringringrin

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by amiskurie(m): 4:01pm On Nov 01, 2013
lakhadimar: @op what sort of outdoor business activity do you want to engage in at 10pm to 4am?
clubbing ofcourse!
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by chiboy1928(m): 4:01pm On Nov 01, 2013
ifyalways: Did you just move in to Oniru undecided Did you sublet or rented directly from a landlord and/or an agent?
Please check your agreement paper again.

Landlords inform propective tenants before payment . . .unless you met a dubious one. undecided

Like I said,I think Oniru belongs to those who observe their own Oro once a year,others do once every ten days or so. Sorry if you're just knowing,there's little or nothing you can do now than to stay safe. If strong head carry you come outside them jam you,you are O.Y.O.
but u don't live on the island while quoting laws and phrase u no notin about madam

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 01, 2013
O my God,what a perfect tym 4 binding and casting... ATR is the worst thing that happened to Africa.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Polio: 4:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
This thread reeks of tribalism and bigotry.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by josite: 4:06pm On Nov 01, 2013
if they don't challenge it in court now, the residents will regret it.they can do oro in their own area not within an estate gotten for valuable consideration unless it is part of the conditions accepted by the residents. Such oro cries permanent got etched into a young dog's memory and whenever your dog hears a siren it starts crying. I had to do away with the lovely dog turned nuisance courtesies of oro cries.

oro is traditionally used to get cleanse the land ,to get rid of thieves and criminals in native Yoruba society and now fashola cant even deport an ibo so why disturb other for nothing sake as you the oro cannot be used to send away the most hardened criminal resident who has fully bought or rent a place within the estate.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Seriousbusiness: 4:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
proO1:

Is this not the joke of the century? Imagine the audacity of these silly bàstards! So, after forking out not less than N60m to buy an overpriced property in Oniru, one clown that calls himself Oba, who has ZERO constitutional recognition or authority whatsoever, and into whose pocket most of the millions I paid would enter, would suddenly have the audacity to "direct" me to stay indoors in my best interest? Not even plead, not even request, but DIRECT? Imagine the arrogant language, like say dem dash me free land or free house. Are you mad?

Too bad I am not a resident of that water-logged estate. I would have certainly exercised my full rights as a law-abiding night crawler, and then see how these buffoons would react to that. Arrant nonsense.

SCAPEGOAT!!!

4 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by theripper3: 4:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
U better stay in your house in your own interest or this fiendish demons go use ur head appease one Yoruba god with insatiable lust for blood.

P.S Bullet no dey kill this pple o, i don watch dem one day as dem dey deflect bullet from soldiers. them strong pass THOR o.

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Sweetlemon(f): 4:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
lol! Are you guys minding the people coming here to form "rights"?
Don't you know 90% of active NLers are introverts? These people don't even go out at all except to school, work (for those who actually have jobs or businesses), or church/mosque. Some are even too addicted to the internet they attend church on NL Sunday mornings!
So where do you expect them to get the liver from??

3 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 01, 2013
ifyalways: Any body renting an accomodation in the Island,I'm sure the agents/landlord would inform him or her before hand if they observe Oro within the vicinity. Ikate,Ajiran and some places observe theirs every ten days.

You cannot come to someone's house and ask him to stop his culture or religious inclinations. If it doesnt suit you,simply don't go there or park out. smiley

Only harmless traditions should be allowed to continue IMO. The consequence of being caught in this is death. I have never heard of the Oro people taking anyone caught to the police. They will kill you there. Such practice should be discontinued. The government should look into this.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Burial Arrangement For The Olubadan Oba Samuel Odulana Odugade 1 / "DURO" Na Yoruba Be Dis ??? / Etsu Nupe Marks Birthday Today Ahead Of 20th Anniversary On Throne This Weekend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.