Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,150 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival (19199 Views)

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story / OONI-- Seven Day Curfew Begins In Ife / Restriction Of Movement In Ikorodu Tomorrow Due To Ritual Rites (eluku & Oro). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 01, 2013
Sweetlemon:

FYI I am far from being a yoruba girl. VERY far. Cos I know that's what's running around your tribalistic skull which is what prevented you from reading and comprehending my first post.

I don't care where you're from, I don't care what you think, but its better to not that keyboard than display sincere ignorance.

Freedom of speech ain't the same as freedom of stupidity.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 01, 2013
Yoruba_Jesus:
The people know where to get the divine milk when they need it.

You are blessed my son but you dont have to go under my blossoms to be protected. Roll with me and you will be saved. wink

Darn!! I've been touched by an angel and I can feel it in my body, spirit and soul. The anointing is all over me, right about now.

Defo taking a ride with you to see what they don't want us to see. tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtSDWq6HsJE
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by DnigerianPrince: 4:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx: You definitely can't disrespect the culture/tradition of the land and tell people what they've been doing to centuries has to stop because it doesn't agree with your thought-process. It's a free world, if you don't like it, move to an area that's more suitable to you.

There are people out there who don't like how Churches disturb the peace of everywhere on Sundays (a day for people to rest), but you can't stop people from doing their own thing. Same for those who don't agree with Muslims and whatever they do.

It's a free world.

You've got to be kidding me. That only applies if the region is being ruled by the Oba. As far as the constitution is concerned, there's a local government for a reason.

Even at that, a federal laws overrides that so as long as you're not violating the laws of Nigeria, this is totally wrong especially if it involves a threat to my safety.

Churches practice their religion in peace, Moslems do the same and if the traditionalists were to do same, no problem since everyone is entitled to that freedom as long as you're not going about threatening people which is what this is.

Agreed some parts of Lagos practise dependent monarchy which is allowed by the constitution but it is limited and restrictions of movement isn't one of them. They need to be checked but I don't expect that to happen, after all it's Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by larride(m): 4:39pm On Nov 01, 2013
God is good cool
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 01, 2013
rubbish!!!
similar to my landlord telling me not to come out of my flat btw the hours of x and x.
even if there is an emergency..

well like some slow ppl just said, it is tradition and must be respected.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by oduaboy1: 4:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
If omo nna cant abide with the traditions of the land,he can as well carry his manshion on his Igbo and march with it to alaigbo
End of discussion.

3 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Adex097: 4:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
This is for all the Anti-orĂ²

"There is freedom of
speech, but I cannot guarantee freedom after
speech" Idi Amin.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by whitecat007: 4:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
It's our tradition y'all!!!

So deal with it or get the eff out!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx:

Darn!! I've been touched by an angel and I can feel it in my body, spirit and soul. The anointing is all over me, right about now.

Defo taking a ride with you to see what they don't want us to see. tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtSDWq6HsJE

You are gonna be playing that kinda songs if you are riding with boy. Put on some marvin gaye, jill scott or anything soul. Maybe some gospel songs too. Amazinggggg grace, how sweet that sounds.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by specialzobo(m): 4:49pm On Nov 01, 2013
Polio:

I am sorry for you.

Should i even be? Hell naw ... Dare them, wide-mouthed like Zangief! Dare them
. guy relax notin dey happen..you think they would go free if they kill somebody because of dis oro festival..may be you have 4goten what happend in 1999 when dey killed an hausa woman cause she saw them..be like say you no knw say craze man get people...you go kill person go free cos of oro, I laugh in chinese..
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:50pm On Nov 01, 2013
DnigerianPrince:
You've got to be kidding me. That only applies if the region is being ruled by the Oba. As far as the constitution is concerned, there's a local government for a reason.

Even at that, a federal law overrides that so as long as you're not violating the law of Nigeria, this is totally wrong especially if it involves a threat to my safety.

Churches practice their religion in peace, Moslems do the same and if the traditionalists were to do same, no problem since everyone is entitled to that freedom as long as you're not going about threatening people which is what this is.

Agreed some parts of Lagos practise dependent monarchy which is allowed by the constitution but it is limited and restrictions of movement isn't one of them. They need to be checked but I don't expect that to happen, after all it's Nigeria

I think you're missing the point here, brother. I believe there's provision for customary laws in the constitution and the customs of the land represents the identity of the people.

Also, I don't know how you define freedom-of-movement. However, from what I read - I didn't see anything about movement being barred. It's more or less a warning to the people for their own safety.

Some of you pseudo-modernists need to understand the concept mutual relationship and tradition. And as far as Iru land is concerned, the Oniru owns the land - and whatever he chooses to do with it, or on it, is no one's business.

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Moukafoam(f): 4:51pm On Nov 01, 2013
lakhadimar: Do the needful, go back to your village

That shit won't work and it is not working cheesy grin

The issue of go back to your village is an absolute rubbish talk undecided

The men around Oniru are not average Nigerians, they are big shots grin

Oniru loves money so they have created "pass" for us tongue
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by gurnam: 4:51pm On Nov 01, 2013
Oro...a reality check for those noise makers from across the Niger.

Lagos has tradition and culture...

Lagos is a traditional and cultural city..

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 01, 2013
madam_oringo:

Now you know LAGOS has ORIGINAL OWNERS?? grin grin I dare you to go and walk around the affected area at 12 am, and tell them it is no man's land! LMAO...we will surely be rid of the empty liability that is you in Nigeria. Go back to your village / region because whether you like it or not, we know ourselves and one day, you will surely leave our lands! grin grin angry angry
Slowly, yet surely, another Nazi Germany (supremacy of the Aryan race), another Rwandan genocide (humans were likened to roaches) is in the making!!!
I wonder if you have Igbo friends, if you hang out with them, if you've helped one of them before, or if you have received help from any one of them, no matter how small.
I fear greatly for this Nation! Even if she breaks up along regional lines, I still fear, the hate, and the propaganda, the lies that will continue!
This Igbo, Yoruba "thing" scares me! I regret choosing this Country as my first!

*@topic, mutual respect is what is needed!
For those who think no sane person should be outdoors from 10pm to 4am, y'all need a serious re-education. FYI, not all jobs are 9-5, emergencies also abound!

I was even looking forward to have someone de-mystify the Oro festival! Educate us!!
Where is maturity when it is needed most?

3 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 01, 2013
Yoruba_Jesus:

You are gonna be playing that kinda songs if you are riding with boy. Put on some marvin gaye, jill scott or anything soul. Maybe some gospel songs too. Amazinggggg grace, how sweet that sounds.

Marvin Gaye? - that's for bedtime prayers when the lights are about to go off, Yoruba_Jesus. tongue
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Moukafoam(f): 4:54pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx:

I think you're missing the point here, brother. I believe there's provision for customary laws in the constitution and the customs of the land represents the identity of the people.

Also, I don't know how you define freedom-of-movement. However, from what I read - I didn't see anything about movement being barred. It's more or less a warning to the people for their own safety.

Some of you pseudo-modernists need to understand the concept mutual relationship and tradition. And as far as Iru land is concerned, the Oniru owns the land - and whatever he chooses to do with it, or on it, is no one's business.

That is what I want to hear not some children saying people should go back to their village. wink
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by gurnam: 4:55pm On Nov 01, 2013
special_zobo: . guy relax notin dey happen..you think they would go free if they kill somebody because of dis oro festival..may be you have 4goten what happend in 1999 when dey killed an hausa woman cause she saw them..be like say you no knw say craze man get people...you go kill person go free cos of oro, I laugh in chinese..

Yes what happened? The Hausas tried to make noise...they were mercilessy dealt with in Shagamu ...but the govt came in to rescue them as usual.

Hausas can't do shytee without the backing of the FG

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Sweetlemon(f): 4:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
Promhize:

I don't care where you're from, I don't care what you think, but its better to not that keyboard than display sincere ignorance.

Freedom of speech ain't the same as freedom of stupidity.

I think YOU need that lecture, and before you go for lessons, take a tall glass of chilled lemonade to cool yourself.
Cheers!
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 5:01pm On Nov 01, 2013
kaeyame:
Slowly, yet surely, another Nazi Germany (supremacy of the Aryan race), another Rwandan genocide (humans were likened to roaches) is in the making!!!
I wonder if you have Igbo friends, if you hang out with them, if you've helped one of them before, or if you have received help from any one of them, no matter how small.
I fear greatly for this Nation! Even if she breaks up along regional lines, I still fear, the hate, and the propaganda, the lies that will continue!
This Igbo, Yoruba "thing" scares me! I regret choosing this Country as my first!

*@topic, mutual respect is what is needed!
For those who think no sane person should be outdoors from 10pm to 4am, y'all need a serious re-education. FYI, not all jobs are 9-5, emergencies also abound!

I was even looking forward to have someone de-mystify the Oro festival! Educate us!!
Where is maturity when it is needed most?
Take your sermon to chinu achebe, i thought he said you ibos wiped the yorubas off with one fantastic burst of energy(sic). For your information the yorubas would not forfeit their cultural practices just to make some ungrateful visitors convenient

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Rhino5dm: 5:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
special_zobo: . guy relax notin dey happen..you think they would go free if they kill somebody because of dis oro festival..may be you have 4goten what happend in 1999 when dey killed an hausa woman cause she saw them..be like say you no knw say craze man get people...you go kill person go free cos of oro, I laugh in chinese..

See this toad. Here in PH I personally saw two headless bodies of stubborn grasshoppers like you after the last weeklong events by the native ikwerre people. They warned everybody to stay indoors.

What happened afterward? nothing.

You can keep mouthing as long as you are doing it behind your keyboard.

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Orikinla(m): 5:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
I ignored their primitive native nonsense once and they came to my windows at midnight trying to frighten me. grin
Me?
I guess they were ignorant of my backgrounds.

All these fetish rubbish have only done more harm than good to our culture and nature and should be banned.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by ethicalUser(m): 5:10pm On Nov 01, 2013
lakhadimar: Dont mind him. Later when they deport them back to there village they would start screaming victimisation. I dont know why they find it difficult to respect the culture of their host. moreso what would a responsible individual be doing outdoors during the hours of 10pm and 4am, the said time the oro rituals would be performed
you must be a daft for this comment you made. Aren't you aware of the traffic situation in lagos. some people get stocked in traffic till very late hours. Ejigbo,Ikotun are good examples if you care to know.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by DnigerianPrince: 5:10pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx:

Well that's what I meant, it's simply another way to say go out at this time and your safety isn't guaranteed. That's an indirect way of saying the police (government) can't protect you, the rule of law doesn't stand at this point. That's completely wrong and.unacceptable

Right, he owns the land and can do whatever he wants on it until he infringes on the rights of the citizens, there's a line there bro. There are rules on how far below and above you can go when it comes to land rights.

I'm not surprised all of these is happening, Nigerians do not respect the rule of law and would rather bribe their way through it all. Even those screaming injustices are mostly for self gains, just as bad as the violators. Everyone is guilty and my advice is for you guys around the area to do anything to protect yourself and your family even if it involves following the absurd rule
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Orikinla(m): 5:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
lakhadimar: Dont mind him. Later when they deport them back to there village they would start screaming victimisation. I dont know why they find it difficult to respect the culture of their host. moreso what would a responsible individual be doing outdoors during the hours of 10pm and 4am, the said time the oro rituals would be performed

That is why Nigeria is still largely uncivilized.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by specialzobo(m): 5:16pm On Nov 01, 2013
gurnam:

Yes what happened? The Hausas tried to make noise...they were mercilessy dealt with in Shagamu ...but the govt came in to rescue them as usual.

Hausas can't do shytee without the backing of the FG
. Boy stop spewing trash,did the riot happen in shagamu alone..or you 4got what they did to the yorubas in kano..
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
Orikinla: I ignored their primitive native nonsense once and they came to my windows at midnight trying to frighten me. grin
Me?
I guess they were ignorant of my backgrounds.

All these fetish rubbish have only done more harm than good to our culture and nature and should be banned.

And what stops you from banning it and you might as well change your handle while you're at it. Call it primitive or whatever you want to call it, but those who engineered the culture imperialism that induced your thought-process, have also moved on from the medieval belief-system, they left behind for you to hold on to. Perhaps, we can call also label your own belief-system medieval as well, nah?

Suffice to say, you're just as primitive as they're. grin

6 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Orikinla(m): 5:18pm On Nov 01, 2013
These ritual cultists must be arrested.
They don't have any constitutional right to make their own laws in Nigeria.
Will they stop police and military patrol at night?

When white people are using their own juju to invent internet and other awesome inventions to advance human civilization, primitive black people are using their own juju for witchcraft. And some people here are giving them thumbs up?
No wonder many people here still prefer to live in darkness and backwardness in the 21st century.

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 01, 2013
ethicalUser:
you must be a daft for this comment you made. Aren't you aware of the traffic situation in lagos. some people get stocked in traffic till very late hours. Ejigbo,Ikotun are good examples if you care to know.
A maggot is wiser than you. Go and tell the obi of onitsha that the ofala festival is disturbig business activities
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Larufa(m): 5:21pm On Nov 01, 2013
What about the Redeemee Church, Deeper life, Mountain of Fire, Nasfat etc, all having the programs on the every busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway??
and obstructing vechicular movement to other parts of Nigeria. The Oro festival organiser are even better in informing residents about the do's and dont's during the duration of their activities.

3 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by specialzobo(m): 5:24pm On Nov 01, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

See this toad. Here in PH I personally saw two headless bodies of stubborn grasshoppers like you after the last weeklong events by the native ikwerre people. They warned everybody to stay indoors.

What happened afterward? nothing.

You can keep mouthing as long as you are doing it behind your keyboard.
..lol which ikwerre festival are you talking abt?you saw two headless bodies and conclude dat dey were killed because dey were sturborn...pls come up with something better...
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Acidosis(m): 5:28pm On Nov 01, 2013
Lol

No wonder grin
The capital of Nigeria was moved to Abuja grin

What tha fck are ediotaz doing wit a fckn traditionally fckin idol?

Within the last 4years, over 5 Royal Majesties in Ekiti state have barred every fckin useless youth from parading as masquerades while their counterparts in China are busy building and schooling grin

I still remember one particular incidence (about 8years ago), when I nearly chop off the left arm of a useless masquerade along Omuo-Ikole road grin
How can I be travelling along a Federal/State road only for a useless personality to disrupt my peaceful movement all in the name of a useless fa. g.ot!

Meanwhile, its not a western or Yoruba thing... even in South South, Middle Belt.. etc.. We all witness this ill treatment...

I'm not against anyone serving whatever, for all I care, you can chop off your blo.kos and bow down in worship to "it"...
My only problem is disrupting my own agenda with your worship...
Na all this kind thing they make people they kill one another...

Thank God for my state capital - Lokoja...

All these kain useless things no dey exist...

Infact, you'll be locked up somewhere at the barrack if you dare...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Receives Miss Tourism Nigeria Contestants At His Palace. PICS / The Burial Arrangement For The Olubadan Oba Samuel Odulana Odugade 1 / Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.