Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,700 members, 7,820,447 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers (8950 Views)

WORLD RECORD! The First Man To Be Sacked For Not Dancing To A Secular Song / Abia:56 Sacked Non-indigenes Drop Dead. / He Was Sacked For Refusing To Be Transfered To Boko State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Sagamite(m): 5:06pm On Nov 01, 2013
xarxes: NLders pls I need knowlegeable contributors pls more like medically inclined people,let's stop d idle talk pls I can't expose d company name or the victim here my NL ogas won't permit it.tanx

Why do you need medically inclined people to explain employment law or business development principles to you? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Cahmegga: 5:33pm On Nov 01, 2013
bigdiva: All of you screaming should calm down. 1. this is not the OP 's story, how do you know of he's gotten his friend's permission to go public? This is what happens when people come to nairaland to rant without thinking things through.

^If ur not married, pls.. *offers her ring*
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Cahmegga: 5:37pm On Nov 01, 2013
First off, the said person who told oga OP this story is even the most corrupt of all!! Its clear he sold those drugs at exorbitant prices and refused to "see oga"...that's why he is careful not to let the name of the company out in public...he should take heart, and find another job! Corruption is no longer a crime in Nigeria, somebody gwamandized N255m, and she is already escaping....and we are here talking of an oga asking for a few thousands! Ahh!

1 Like

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Jman06(m): 6:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
xarxes: NLders pls I need knowlegeable contributors pls more like medically inclined people,let's stop d idle talk pls I can't expose d company name or the victim here my NL ogas won't permit it.tanx
Of what use is our discussing it going to be?Especially as u refused to post d name of the company and the manager involved.Does the rep in question even have any evidence to back up d allegation?My instinct tells me that this rep was sacked simply because he could not meet his target or is too lazy to do the sales rep job only for him to start making up the bribery allegation,i understand how stressful the job can be.It's not meant for lazy bones!
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by nairaman66(m): 6:10pm On Nov 01, 2013
gazilion: I lost interest and stopped reading when the name of the pharmaceutical company isn't mentioned!
Are we really serious in our fight against corruption?
How come you write against corruption when you shield the corrupt?
COWARDS!!

Dey wait there na. Make u nor collect ur change from KEKE dey go house.. You go old!
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by InvertedHammer: 6:18pm On Nov 01, 2013
/

What a coward!

My only surprise on this issue is how the OP (even though anonymous) willingly refused to mention the company involved.

How low has Nigeria gotten that the ones crying for equity cannot even have the guts to call a spade a spade?

I believe the OP is worse than the managers he is castigating. Bad things thrive when good people keep quiet.

The company will not change the practice if they remain anonymous. And more people will continue to fall victims to

the same problem. And we are quick to blame GEJ. mtchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhew!

//

1 Like

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by chucky234(m): 6:21pm On Nov 01, 2013
otijah: She should face the consequences, how on earth can u live in this nation without bribe, what was she thinking when refusing to return bribe, does she wanna chop alone? Good for her
LMAO....
I sure say you get Ph. D for bribe matters.
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by bobofati(m): 6:30pm On Nov 01, 2013
@op, pls stop misinforming the public. a sales rep has a fixed company price for all d products and brands he markets, and is expected to sell at dat price, but bc of corruption reps in Nigeria always create artificial scarcity nd sell above d company price, sometyms they do dat in collaboration with their managers, so d managers will look d other way. That is why we dont have price control in the Nigerian pharmaceutical sector, and that is why we have what is called Onitsha business. op ur friend or whoever did wrong and is very corrupt.

2 Likes

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Reference(m): 6:40pm On Nov 01, 2013
NLC is not interested in private sector corruption. Even when it interfaces with the public sector such as the fuel subsidy saga, they choose to shield their members. To us, it is only political leadership that is corrupt. The rest of us are poor hustlers so we can be excused to destroy one another.
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 01, 2013
YOU ARE A CORRUPT INDIVIDUAL...THE TYPE THAT DESERVES TO BE KEPT IN JAIL FOR A LOOONG TIME FOR AIDING AND ABETTING FRAUD N CORRUPTION....IN FACT I SUSPECT YOU ARE ONE OF THE SUPERVISORS INVOLVED JUX WANTING TO KNOW YOUR LEVEL OF CULPABILITY!

Derailers where are thou?

xarxes: Clearly corruption stinks in Nigeria including our corporate world. I got wind recently of a non-conformer who was persecuted for not giving in to corruption. This concerns a certain medical sales representative in Lagos working for an indigenous local pharmaceutical company (names withheld) whose popular products include Artesunate and Vitamin c Glucose which you might know very well.

Sales reps are usually hired to market and sell their medicines to hospitals and pharmacies. Sales reps are allowed to sell above company selling price and keep whatever profits they make on the field as an incentive to them since they are generally poorly paid. But what I hear as a pharmacy owner is that this sales reps are usually mandated to give kickbacks (part of their personal profits) aka bribe to their direct supervisors or managers so as to retain their jobs and get more goods to sell so as to meet up with very high and ridiculous targets. This is usually a conspiracy or a corrupt scheme in most indigenous pharmaceutical companies which is known only to the reps and their managers excluding the most senior managers and MD.

Most reps do comply as far as I know so as to save their jobs and meet targets. But what annoys me is when it is made compulsory for them and those who don't comply are usually frustrated out of the company or blackmailed most times they are sacked unjustly and replaced without the knowledge or consent of the MD. This happens very often and has been in place in so many companies for years now. This recently happened to a pharmacist friend of mine. And I begin to ask if NLC or the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria or NAFDAC is not aware of all this schemes or if they are aware but they choose not to act or investigate it. It beats me seriously.

Please my good people of NL, your advice or inputs are needed here.

These corrupt schemes must stop. Its unprofessional and unethical.

Pls MOD pls front page pls I beg u.thanks

1 Like

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by xarxes(m): 10:51pm On Nov 01, 2013
smartchoice: YOU ARE A CORRUPT INDIVIDUAL...THE TYPE THAT DESERVES TO BE KEPT IN JAIL FOR A LOOONG TIME FOR AIDING AND ABETTING FRAUD N CORRUPTION....IN FACT I SUSPECT YOU ARE ONE OF THE SUPERVISORS INVOLVED JUX WANTING TO KNOW YOUR LEVEL OF CULPABILITY!

Derailers where are thou?

I blame ASUU u sound miserably jobless God help u
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Nobody: 3:19am On Nov 02, 2013
in your eediotic imagination abi?

xarxes: I blame ASUU u sound miserably jobless God help u

1 Like

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Nobody: 3:20am On Nov 02, 2013
is mango truly out?
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Nobody: 3:20am On Nov 02, 2013
is it true that Jonathan is not contesting come 2015?
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Marotzke(m): 7:37am On Nov 02, 2013
xarxes: bro u won't understand its not ur industry
What won't he understand? most of the M/Ds started as med reps. If it is the norm as you claim they would have known about it.

1 Like

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Nobody: 7:39am On Nov 02, 2013
don't mind him he's just a common r.ogue

Marotzke: What won't he understand? most of the M/Ds started as med reps. If it is the norm as you claim they wo have known about it.

1 Like

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Onegai(f): 9:50am On Nov 02, 2013
This has nothing to do with NLC. And you're a coward. You should have been ready to reveal all. I've done so before (named names when corruption hit my school association). Write a letter to the MD, state all this, gather your facts (get the corrupt individuals to send messages detailing this, it's easy to gather evidence in this country, FAR TOO EASY) and submit this. But you're nigerian, so you're more worried about your neck and your stomach, so you'll ignore my advise. Wanna know why the country is so bad? It's because everyone thinks of themselves only and will only fight for their own pockets, not realising the cane they use to beat Halima is the cane they has reserved for use to beat Chinwe and Bukola.

2 Likes

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Marotzke(m): 10:06am On Nov 02, 2013
It is very obvious OP is not a pharmacist, not a medical representative, not a pharmacy owner, the nearest to the profession, I suspect is being a second year student in one biological sciences in one so called university. That is why he mixes up private arrangements,with industry norms and ethical practice.

If a sales/marketing/products manager sacks a field salesman /medcal representative, for not giving him bribe, how would he meet his sales target? A sales manager is as good and versatile as his field officers . If he starts sacking because he doesn't get bribes, he would soon be sacked for non performance. This is the first exhibition of ignorance by the poster.

Secondly it is ethically and tactically wrong for managers to encourage subordinates to sell products above company prices as OP infers. A lot of factors are taken into consideration before companies arrive at a particular price for their products. To suggest that middle level managers will deliberately instigate field officers to sabotage company policies in exchange for bribes is so nonsensical that I am convinced that OP has never got a real job in his life.

To suggest that M/Ds and top management staff do not know what goes on at the front lines is an indication that OP is ignorant of what corporate governance is. MDs and EDs were once field officers and middle managers. If it is a situation where the MD inherited the company, what happened to office gossip? That is a veritable instrument for viable information.

What I suspect that really happened is that OPs friend or even the OP himsef played a fast one on his bosses and was promptly fired. Every body in the company , even the M/D knows about it.

This is what i suspect to have happened; There are certain products that are referred to as fast lines. These products sell themselves and most times demands, outstrip supply. To sell these kinds of products require little or no marketing skills and the transactions are mostly cash and carry. A lot of pressure are usually mounted on company executives, even the Oga at the Top, by pharmacy Owners , Hospital Administrators, Doctors etc to get allocations.

Now when allocations become privileges and not rights, prices are slightly adjusted above company prices. This is strictly the product managers call. The M/D might know, but choose to ignore as long as his university roomate who is a distributor or his wife's elder brother , who is medical doctor get their allocation.

Now the only person in the organisation authorised to make deliveries and collect payments (here cash) is the med rep. So Op, your immediate boss adjusts prices at his own risk, sends you on an errand, you complete the deal, pocket the balance and calmly remind him of what the company's official price list states eh? Now, that they have cut your malformed tail, you rush to Nairaland de halla corruption. Were, Dan iska kowei. Anuofia!

3 Likes

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Sagamite(m): 10:16am On Nov 02, 2013
^^^^

Nigga, good write up but try and learn to break your posts into a few paragraphs.
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by xarxes(m): 12:35pm On Nov 02, 2013
Marotzke: It is very obvious OP is not a pharmacist, not a medical representative, not a pharmacy owner, the nearest to the profession, I suspect is being a second year student in one biological sciences in one so called university. That is why he mixes up private arrangements,with industry norms and ethical practice.

If a sales/marketing/products manager sacks a field salesman /medcal representative, for not giving him bribe, how would he meet his sales target? A sales manager is as good and versatile as his field officers . If he starts sacking because he doesn't get bribes, he would soon be sacked for non performance. This is the first exhibition of ignorance by the poster.

Secondly it is ethically and tactically wrong for managers to encourage subordinates to sell products above company prices as OP infers. A lot of factors are taken into consideration before companies arrive at a particular price for their products. To suggest that middle level managers will deliberately instigate field officers to sabotage company policies in exchange for bribes is so nonsensical that I am convinced that OP has never got a real job in his life.

To suggest that M/Ds and top management staff do not know what goes on at the front lines is an indication that OP is ignorant of what corporate governance is. MDs and EDs were once field officers and middle managers. If it is a situation where the MD inherited the company, what happened to office gossip? That is a veritable instrument for viable information.

What I suspect that really happened is that OPs friend or even the OP himsef played a fast one on his bosses and was promptly fired. Every body in the company , even the M/D knows about it.

This is what i suspect to have happened; There are certain products that are referred to as fast lines. These products sell themselves and most times demands, outstrip supply. To sell these kinds of products require little or no marketing skills and the transactions are mostly cash and carry. A lot of pressure are usually mounted on company executives, even the Oga at the Top, by pharmacy Owners , Hospital Administrators, Doctors etc to get allocations.

Now when allocations become privileges and not rights, prices are slightly adjusted above company prices. This is strictly the product managers call. The M/D might know, but choose to ignore as long as his university roomate who is a distributor or his wife's elder brother , who is medical doctor get their allocation.

Now the only person in the organisation authorised to make deliveries and collect payments (here cash) is the med rep. So Op, your immediate boss adjusts prices at his own risk, sends you on an errand, you complete the deal, pocket the balance and calmly remind him of what the company's official price list states eh? Now, that they have cut your malformed tail, you rush to Nairaland de halla corruption. Were, Dan iska kowei. Anuofia!

Ignoramus nigger
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by xarxes(m): 12:37pm On Nov 02, 2013
Onegai: This has nothing to do with NLC. And you're a coward. You should have been ready to reveal all. I've done so before (named names when corruption hit my school association). Write a letter to the MD, state all this, gather your facts (get the corrupt individuals to send messages detailing this, it's easy to gather evidence in this country, FAR TOO EASY) and submit this. But you're nigerian, so you're more worried about your neck and your stomach, so you'll ignore my advise. Wanna know why the country is so bad? It's because everyone thinks of themselves only and will only fight for their own pockets, not realising the cane they use to beat Halima is the cane they has reserved for use to beat Chinwe and Bukola.

Noted #betterperson
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Sagamite(m): 12:39pm On Nov 02, 2013
xarxes:
Ignoramus nigger

That is your response?

You have no intellect to say anything intelligent?

1 Like

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 02, 2013
except in practice of roguery angry

Sagamite:

That is your response?

You have no intellect to say anything intelligent?

1 Like

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by phraoh(m): 8:13pm On Nov 02, 2013
xarxes: Clearly corruption stinks in Nigeria including our corporate world. I got wind recently of a non-conformer who was persecuted for not giving in to corruption. This concerns a certain medical sales representative in Lagos working for an indigenous local pharmaceutical company (names withheld) whose popular products include Artesunate and Vitamin c Glucose which you might know very well.

Sales reps are usually hired to market and sell their medicines to hospitals and pharmacies. Sales reps are allowed to sell above company selling price and keep whatever profits they make on the field as an incentive to them since they are generally poorly paid. But what I hear as a pharmacy owner is that this sales reps are usually mandated to give kickbacks (part of their personal profits) aka bribe to their direct supervisors or managers so as to retain their jobs and get more goods to sell so as to meet up with very high and ridiculous targets. This is usually a conspiracy or a corrupt scheme in most indigenous pharmaceutical companies which is known only to the reps and their managers excluding the most senior managers and MD.

Most reps do comply as far as I know so as to save their jobs and meet targets. But what annoys me is when it is made compulsory for them and those who don't comply are usually frustrated out of the company or blackmailed most times they are sacked unjustly and replaced without the knowledge or consent of the MD. This happens very often and has been in place in so many companies for years now. This recently happened to a pharmacist friend of mine. And I begin to ask if NLC or the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria or NAFDAC is not aware of all this schemes or if they are aware but they choose not to act or investigate it. It beats me seriously.

Please my good people of NL, your advice or inputs are needed here.

These corrupt schemes must stop. Its unprofessional and unethical.

Pls MOD pls front page pls I beg u.thanks

@ OP, you have exhibited crass ignorance in this case. Have you bothered to ask your doctor medical rep friend what he did that has warranted his being disciplined, except you are the medical rep who has come to tarnish the reputable image of the undisclosed firm?

Marotzke: It is very obvious OP is not a pharmacist, not a medical representative, not a pharmacy owner, the nearest to the profession, I suspect is being a second year student in one biological sciences in one so called university. That is why he mixes up private arrangements,with industry norms and ethical practice.

You are very right mate.
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by rman: 9:59am On Nov 03, 2013
xarxes:

Ignoramus nigger

This response to his analysis clearly shows you lied as he claimed. Shame on you!

3 Likes

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Jman06(m): 12:00pm On Nov 06, 2013
I'm sure OP is one of the mediocre Pharmacists we have in Nigeria that leave their responsibilities in Hospitals and private Pharmacies to interfer in people's businesses.A Pharmacist that knows his onions will not be busy poke nosing into people's private businesses.
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by xarxes(m): 12:19pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jman06: I'm sure OP is one of the mediocre Pharmacists we have in Nigeria that leave their responsibilities in Hospitals and private Pharmacies to interfer in people's businesses.A Pharmacist that knows his onions will not be busy poke nosing into people's private businesses.
person shut ur trap dis thread is closed go get a life #iblameASUU
Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by Jman06(m): 4:52pm On Nov 06, 2013
xarxes:
You are so daft!

2 Likes

Re: Sales Rep Sacked For Not Bribing His Managers by hischoice(m): 7:56pm On Nov 06, 2013
xarxes:

You are a funny piece of man.
You come online, BEGGING people to contribute to a thread you started.

Inputs start rolling in, and you come back to tell them thread is closed because they are not saying things you would have loved to hear; calling them names. Remember you begged to have them talk.

Basic public etiquette - zero.
I wish I could help.

Quote me and call me names. Please, don't disappoint.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Glaxosmithkline (GSK) Latest Job Vacancies / Npower: Resolution Of All Payment Issues Resumes Today / Afrinvest Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.