Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,224 members, 7,811,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! (3697 Views)

Uk-based Wife Disrupts Wedding Between Her Husband & New Wife - pics / My Family Is Tearing Apart Now. / My Husband Went Back To Nigeria Last Christmas To Wed A New Wife - UK Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by bigheart2013(m): 2:18am On Nov 02, 2013
My people, like many Americans I prefer scented colored candles (Red/ garden orchid scents) to oil air-fresheners in the house, which I’m allergic to. Many families in USA decorate their houses with these scented colored candles available in almost every shop. Even American ladies love them when they visit. These are the most popular air-fresheners in USA. However, my friend’s wife who recently came from Nigeria has warned him not to visit me again calling me an occultist, & secret society member because she saw burnt colored candles in my house. This is very judgmental and a display of frivolous superstition by a very ignorant woman. Is it because the candle is colored? A more than 10years+ friendship is about to end because of what I describe as a ‘self-righteous timid woman’ with unrefined prejudice (pardon my use of angry words).

My friend shared this with me confidentially as why he hasn’t been coming around because he doesn’t want to start a conflict with his new wife. He's been trying quietly to convince her to give up her several uncivilized prejudices/ superstitions from Africa, but apparently she appears to be holier than everyone else, as usual reeling out bible quotations to justify her mediocrity. I’m a Catholic, decent and educated. I feel very insulted because this is how rumors circulate in Nigeria, once she gives a bogus testimony at her church of how she delivered her husband from an occult friend, then my name and reputation will be gone. I'm angry at self-righteous, ignorant people destroying friendships and families with their prejudice.

Please how do I handle this to save this age-old friendship, and stop this woman from soiling my name before they start calling me an occultist/ wizard, and nobody will accept a gift from me back home again? Some people in Nigeria are too judgmental.
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by bellong: 2:54am On Nov 02, 2013
I don't think you have to disturb yourself too much about saving the friendship since you have not done anything negative against your friend.

He should be the one looking for ways to educate his wife than being more Catholic than the pope. Since the scented perfume is used in a lot of homes in the States, let him take his wife on a visit to as many homes with scent to disabuse her mind of her ignorance and spiritual paranoia.

You just keep being good to your friend and let the wife handle her own problem. If your friend decides to listen to his wife, let him go. Do not fret over it.

9 Likes

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by seedord247(m): 3:09am On Nov 02, 2013
Thats Nigerians for you broo. If ordinary mosquito bite them, they will say iya nkechi is behind it. Menh i aint got nothing to say bout the deranged woman but I blame your dawg for believing that sh11t in this fucccking age of technology.

There's nothing you can do to gain the trust of your friend back as long the fictitious woman is concerned. Just leggo and move on cuz your indoctrinated friend will always see his wife as a deliverer.

1 Like

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by bigtt76(f): 4:44am On Nov 02, 2013
Abeg just boone am! Na her be de occultist (sorry to say) else how would she just see colored and uncolored candles and immediately know what they stand for. Like one guy said above ....keep being a good friend and move on quietly before den begin tag you jealous friend.

2 Likes

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by Nobody: 6:41am On Nov 02, 2013

1 Like

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by Xplicit1(f): 7:12am On Nov 02, 2013
Don't blame her too much, blame d way she was brought up. When she goes to shops & find them every were, she'll get use 2 d system & start believin what u said. In no distant tym she'll kum to apologize. Give her tym.

Meanwhile, how is America?
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by bigheart2013(m): 10:22am On Nov 02, 2013
Xplicit.:
Don't blame her too much, blame d way she was brought up. When she goes to shops & find them every were, she'll get use 2 d system & start believin what u said. In no distant tym she'll kum to apologize. Give her tym. Meanwhile, how is America?

Yea, I know one day her eyes will open and she will see the 'light'. For now she's still blind. I know many born-again ladies who came to US during hot summer and swore they'd never wear trousers & makeups because they are sin. But during cold Winter they wore the thickest double jeans or risked freezing to death, and brightest color lipsticks to match. But when they travel back home they hide them to fit into their local congregation, misleading young people

It's an eye-opener really. You can imagine how many people that have been either accused or labeled wrongly by some of this vision-seeing churches in Nigeria for things they are not. How can anyone be talking about 'juju' in the USA -what do you need it for - to attract spouse, money, or protection from what abeg?
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by bellong: 11:32am On Nov 02, 2013
bigheart2013:
How can anyone be talking about 'juju' in the USA -what do you need it for - to attract spouse, money, or protection from what abeg?

You think there are no spiritualists or juju loving people in the USA?
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by NosoChic: 12:14pm On Nov 02, 2013
Just give the friendship some time, you just need to be patient as the wife will gradually drop all the rubbish mentality soon...She plans to live abroad now and possibly work and have her kids.

It will all be converted to a big joke in the end.
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by bigheart2013(m): 1:06pm On Nov 02, 2013
bellong:

Yea you are right. Many Haitians practice voo-doo here. Few years ago they arrested an African man at the airport bringing in dried animals and fetish items into USA for spiritual purposes. I also heard that some Nigerians in the UK are way into the practice there.

But can't you see what all this group of people mentioned have in common?...they are black, or African decent, usually the poorest and the most unproductive in any community they live in, even abroad. The most successful Nigerians/ Africans abroad are usually the least religious ones.
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by bebe2(f): 1:18pm On Nov 02, 2013
bigheart2013:

Yea you are right. Many Haitians practice voo-doo here. Few years ago they arrested an African man at the airport bringing in dried animals and fetish items into USA for spiritual purposes. I also heard that some Nigerians in the UK are way into the practice there.

But can't you see what all this group of people mentioned have in common?...they are black, or African decent, usually the poorest and the most unproductive in any community they live in, even abroad. The most successful Nigerians/ Africans abroad are usually the least religious ones.

Eh eh eh park am there. Which uk? Abi u mean italy.
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by bigheart2013(m): 1:45pm On Nov 02, 2013
bebe2:

Eh eh eh park am there. Which uk? Abi u mean italy.

cheesy cheesy grin grin, my sister @bebe2 don charge grin. It's UK o. I read it in one of the online news, and watched it on Aljazeera documentary, how some people patronize a Nigerian 'witch doctor' in UK to hold innocent Nigerian girls on sex slavery there. The ring was busted some months ago?

1 Like

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by EfemenaXY: 1:54pm On Nov 02, 2013
bigheart2013: My people, like many Americans I prefer scented colored candles (Red/ garden orchid scents) to oil air-fresheners in the house, which I’m allergic to. Many families in USA decorate their houses with these scented colored candles available in almost every shop. Even American ladies love them when they visit. These are the most popular air-fresheners in USA. However, my friend’s wife who recently came from Nigeria has warned him not to visit me again calling me an occultist, & secret society member because she saw burnt colored candles in my house. This is very judgmental and a display of frivolous superstition by a very ignorant woman. Is it because the candle is colored? A more than 10years+ friendship is about to end because of what I describe as a ‘self-righteous timid woman’ with unrefined prejudice (pardon my use of angry words).

My friend shared this with me confidentially as why he hasn’t been coming around because he doesn’t want to start a conflict with his new wife. He's been trying quietly to convince her to give up her several uncivilized prejudices/ superstitions from Africa, but apparently she appears to be holier than everyone else, as usual reeling out bible quotations to justify her mediocrity. I’m a Catholic, decent and educated. I feel very insulted because this is how rumors circulate in Nigeria, once she gives a bogus testimony at her church of how she delivered her husband from an occult friend, then my name and reputation will be gone. I'm angry at self-righteous, ignorant people destroying friendships and families with their prejudice.

Please how do I handle this to save this age-old friendship, and stop this woman from soiling my name before they start calling me an occultist/ wizard, and nobody will accept a gift from me back home again? Some people in Nigeria are too judgmental.

Illiteracy is indeed a crime.

There's not much you can do about it, save encourage your friend to educate his wife. Until that happens and you see a positive change in attitude towards you from her, it's best you keep clear of the couple.

The last thing you want on your plate are accusations of you coming between a man and his wife or being labelled a 'home wrecker'. Trust me, if she's capable of accusing you of engaging in occultism, nothing stops her from saying you don't wish her marriage well / you're jealous / tying down her husband.

3 Likes

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by bigheart2013(m): 2:24pm On Nov 02, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Illiteracy is indeed a crime.... Trust me, if she's capable of accusing you of engaging in occultism, nothing stops her from saying you don't wish her marriage well / you're jealous / tying down her husband.

Honestly I am more concerned about my name than the friendship. You can imagine if this craps makes rounds back home. I've seen a lady who claimed she's repented & became born-again, mount a podium in a church during 'testimony time' and spills out (confesses) what's been going on between her and her boss (where they slept, how many times, what he bought for her, what he tells her about other managers..etc), the man's career went to the drains from there.

Sometimes too I feel that most pastors should hear some testimonies/ confessions privately first like the Catholic church does, than letting people mount podium on impulse to destroy others.

1 Like

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by EfemenaXY: 2:41pm On Nov 02, 2013
^^

You do know that if that's what she intends to do, there's nothing you can do about it - yes?

So in that case, just keep away from the couple. Besides, with your friend being married (albeit to a socially 'unexposed' woman), it can't just be the two of you like in the old days - things have changed and his madam is now in the mix.

bigheart2013:

Honestly I am more concerned about my name than the friendship. You can imagine if this craps makes rounds back home. I've seen a lady who claimed she's repented & became born-again, mount a podium in a church during 'testimony time' and spills out (confesses) what's been going on between her and her boss (where they slept, how many times, what he bought for her, what he tells her about other managers..etc), the man's career went to the drains from there.

Sometimes too I feel that most pastors should hear some testimonies/ confessions privately first like the Catholic church does, than letting people mount podium on impulse to destroy others.

Re: the bolded bit... shocked shocked shocked

For real?? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by bigheart2013(m): 3:05pm On Nov 02, 2013
Efemena_xy:

You do know that if that's what she intends to do, there's nothing you can do about it - yes?

Re: the bolded bit... shocked shocked shocked For real?? undecided

Real and live! People hailed, clapped, shouted praise, but someone's life was ruined forever. Sometimes it's better to stay way from certain types of people. All they bring is bad news in your life..

1 Like

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by Nobody: 2:52pm On Nov 03, 2013
Leave ur friend biko.

And about juju not being native to US, abeg wisdom there. Na Africans teach Us Halloween? Check the real origins of it na serious fear of witch start am.

Or is it the popularity of mediums and clairvoyants? They have left gypsy fairs and crystal balls they now chat with Oprah, de 'posess' houses and syndicated shows on mainstream tv.
The aim is still the same human being talking to a spirit to get knowledge for someone else, and that someone pays money for it.
The only difference na say oyinbo babalawo get washing machine and pays tax.
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by bigheart2013(m): 1:20pm On Nov 04, 2013
salsera:

And about juju not being native to US, abeg wisdom there. Na Africans teach Us Halloween? Check the real origins of it na serious fear of witch start am.

The aim is still the same human being talking to a spirit to get knowledge for someone else, and that someone pays money for it.
The only difference na say oyinbo babalawo get washing machine and pays tax.

You said it all in your last paragraph!! Halloween is a celebration of an age-long believe that witches & wizards make an outing in the night. Apart from having fun and make jokes of witches/wizards people don't take it serious and nobody accuses another of witchcraft in USA. USA is a conglomeration of cultures from different parts of the world.

The difference in Nigeria is that people believe it and believe in it. They take it serious, even churches in Nigeria form beliefs and instill fear around witches/ wizards and make money out of it. So while calling someone a wizard in USA will only attract laughter, in Nigeria it's taken seriously because people believe it. I know many ladies in Nigeria who believe that spirits and witchcraft by their colleagues, rather than their bad attitude, are behind their not getting married. Even some Nig men believe witchcraft, rather than their habitual dishonesty, is behind their hardships.

2 Likes

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by pickabeau1: 1:24pm On Nov 04, 2013
bigheart2013:

Real and live! People hailed, clapped, shouted praise, but someone's life was ruined forever. Sometimes it's better to stay way from certain types of people. All they bring is bad news in your life..

People clapped when someone confessed she slept with a married man..?

church is showbiz
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by RoyalRoy(m): 1:49pm On Nov 04, 2013
pickabeau1:

People clapped when someone confessed she slept with a married man..?

church is showbiz

Big time showbiz.

What with all these jerry curling and bling-bling wearing pastors.

I will advice you keep away from your friend and his wife until he is able to convince her otherwise.

As for her being capable of tarnishing your image, let this thread and maybe some of your mutual friends who know about the situation when anything of such arises.

Illiteracy is truly a disease.
Can't imagine what home in the U.S that doesn't have at least a pack of scented candles.

1 Like

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by pickabeau1: 2:58pm On Nov 04, 2013
^^^na so we see am...

Dont forget they are now in the jet set wining and dining with the high n mighty

1 Like

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by veave(f): 9:06pm On Nov 04, 2013
sowie dear... you can be my fwend if you're lonely... @least am not scared of red or yellow candles... so long as its not the 'black' one... smiley
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by Nobody: 10:45pm On Nov 04, 2013
bigheart2013:

You said it all in your last paragraph!! Halloween is a celebration of an age-long believe that witches & wizards make an outing in the night. Apart from having fun and make jokes of witches/wizards people don't take it serious and nobody accuses another of witchcraft in USA. USA is a conglomeration of cultures from different parts of the world.

The difference in Nigeria is that people believe it and believe in it. They take it serious, even churches in Nigeria form beliefs and instill fear around witches/ wizards and make money out of it. So while calling someone a wizard in USA will only attract laughter, in Nigeria it's taken seriously because people believe it. I know many ladies in Nigeria who believe that spirits and witchcraft by their colleagues, rather than their bad attitude, are behind their not getting married. Even some Nig men believe witchcraft, rather than their habitual dishonesty, is behind their hardships.

Don't get me wrong - my point is it is not a nigerian thing, americans believe in spirits and consulting the dead for info about the present.
mediums,clairvoyants and even wicca is common and people pay to get this service and those who do believe in it.
I believe evil exists however it is not an excuse for human's personal behaviour or character.

Leave your friends wife - your friend should be able to vouch for your character.
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by Sunglow: 12:47pm On Nov 05, 2013
I can imagine how you feel.She needs to be educated.Like someone posted, the Huby should take her to other family/friends home so that she can see for herself that most homes in American use scented candles and for them its a way to beautify their homes and give it a pleasant fragrance. She can as well Lear more about secentd candles on the internet.

1 Like

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by soulglo: 8:07pm On Nov 05, 2013
bigheart2013: My people, like many Americans I prefer scented colored candles (Red/ garden orchid scents) to oil air-fresheners in the house, which I’m allergic to. Many families in USA decorate their houses with these scented colored candles available in almost every shop. Even American ladies love them when they visit. These are the most popular air-fresheners in USA. However, my friend’s wife who recently came from Nigeria has warned him not to visit me again calling me an occultist, & secret society member because she saw burnt colored candles in my house. This is very judgmental and a display of frivolous superstition by a very ignorant woman. Is it because the candle is colored? A more than 10years+ friendship is about to end because of what I describe as a ‘self-righteous timid woman’ with unrefined prejudice (pardon my use of angry words).

Your friend is an ass for telling you that it is because of his wife he is not spending time with you. That was the dumbest thing he could have done. Also I don't believe him either. He just simply does not want to come over. It is not that complicated to explain the issue of candles. He could walk into any store in the US even Walmart and show her scented candles. I am sorry but I feel that you are either out to get her or he is just too much of a punk to tell you that he is too busy enjoying his new wife because he knows you might be offended. This happens all the time with people when they first start a relationship or in this case were they have been living apart and now merging their lives together. They sometimes drop friendships or just don't dedicate as much time to older friendships. After they get over the euphoria they will remember that there is a need for relationships outside their spouse. This "phenomenon" did not start today. You will see your friend less and less and when they start having kids probably even less.
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by xtassie: 7:32pm On Nov 06, 2013
bellong:

. The guy is a full blown nigerian forming american citizen he even used pidgin english sef 'abeg'
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by bigheart2013(m): 11:54pm On Nov 06, 2013
xtassie: . The guy is a full blown nigerian forming american citizen he even used pidgin english sef 'abeg'

So Nigerians abroad don't speak Pidgin English? That's a bit myopic! Because one went abroad he'll now change his accent, behave like Oyibo?..I SMH! That's not the topic please.

1 Like

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by Mamacita007(f): 3:43am On Nov 07, 2013
bigheart2013: my friend’s wife who recently came from Nigeria has warned him not to visit me again calling me an occultist, & secret society member because she saw burnt colored candles in my house. This is very judgmental and a display of frivolous superstition by a very ignorant woman. Is it because the candle is colored? A more than 10years+ friendship is about to end because of what I describe as a ‘self-righteous timid woman’ with unrefined prejudice (pardon my use of angry words).

Some people in Nigeria are too judgmental.

You have a bad impression of her wat do u expect? i prefer scented candles even in the summer that my former roommates used to complain. i dont believe ur story one bit becos scented candles are usually in a nice container & even the single coloured ones dont look like the type they use in naija movies for prayers. my sister balways buys scented candles from UK & they rush it back home. even if she's ignorant, why dont you jokingly explain that you love candles in front of your friend & make her understand becos maybe you dont know but you sound judgmental too. she's ignorant means she doesn't know.

1 Like

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by bigheart2013(m): 4:28am On Nov 07, 2013
Mamacita007:

You have a bad impression of her wat do u expect? i prefer scented candles even in the summer that my former roommates used to complain. i dont believe ur story one bit becos scented candles are usually in a nice container & even the single coloured ones dont look like the type they use in naija movies for prayers. my sister always buys scented candles from UK & they rush it back home. even if she's ignorant, why dont you jokingly explain that you love candles in front of your friend & make her understand becos maybe you dont know but you sound judgmental too. she's ignorant means she doesn't know.

1. No please! Not all candles (scented or unscented) are in containers, otherwise walmart and other deco shops won't be selling candle holders. If you haven't seen one before ask questions.
2. On making joke with her, please no smart man get's into a direct communication with his friend's wife if you have respect for your friend. If you see anyone doing that, please caution him, it's unethical and can breed trust issues. A decent man communicates with his friend's wife through his friend (her husband). It's a mark of respect for the family. Eg. If your friend's wife dressed beautifully you don't admire her directly, you tell your friend that his wife is looking beautiful. Moreover, you cannot explain to someone who didn't ask you. She didn't talk to me, she spoke with her husband. Whom should I tell her told me?

Now you can see you rush to conclusions.

3 Likes

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by soulglo: 4:44am On Nov 07, 2013
bigheart2013:

1. No please! Not all candles (scented or unscented) are in containers, otherwise walmart and other deco shops won't be selling candle holders. If you haven't seen one before ask questions.
2. On making joke with her, please no smart man get's into a direct communication with his friend's wife if you have respect for your friend. If you see anyone doing that, please caution him, it's unethical and can breed trust issues. A decent man communicates with his friend's wife through his friend (her husband). It's a mark of respect for the family. Eg. If your friend's wife dressed beautifully you don't admire her directly, you tell your friend that his wife is looking beautiful. Moreover, you cannot explain to someone who didn't ask you. She didn't talk to me, she spoke with her husband. Whom should I tell her told me?

Now you can see you rush to conclusions.

You have got to be kidding? I think you have woman issues. No offense
Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by RoyalRoy(m): 5:44am On Nov 07, 2013
soul_glo:

You have got to be kidding? I think you have woman issues. No offense

No he doesn't have woman issues.
He is very right.

A responsible man doesn't go yapping along with another man's wife behind His back.

These are just basic simple etiquettes of human relationship.

3 Likes

Re: Advise Please! My Friend's New Wife From Nigeria Is Tearing Us Apart! by EfemenaXY: 7:03am On Nov 07, 2013
Royal Roy:

Big time showbiz.

What with all these jerry curling and bling-bling wearing pastors.

I nearly choked on my morning coffee just reading that bit in red! grin grin

So, you saying that many of these 'pastors' in their bid to become American-ized have adopted the '80s look? grin grin

veave: sowie dear... you can be my fwend if you're lonely... @least am not scared of red or yellow candles... so long as its not the 'black' one... smiley

Really, you lot are hilarious! cheesy cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

'Dear God, Send Me A Husband' / I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.