Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,488 members, 7,954,885 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:42 AM

Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business (16095 Views)

Top 10 College Drop Outs Who Made It Big In Business / Integrity And Ethics: Foundations For Sucess In Business / Partnership in business - Your Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Idrismusty97(m): 7:59pm On Nov 03, 2013
10. Portuguese
Brazil recently overtook the United Kingdom as the
world's sixth-largest economy, and with the
football World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics
just around the corner, all eyes will be on this
Portuguese-speaking "Bric" nation.
--
These rankings are based on a survey carried out
for the CBI Education & skills survey 2012, in
which 542 UK firm managers were asked which
languages are useful to their business.

9. Japanese
Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt's love of the
lambada may have earned him more ridicule than
respect, but his proficiency in Japanese – he spent
two years teaching English in Japan – is held in
high esteem among his parliamentary colleagues,
and came in useful on a recent trade mission to
Japan.

8. Russian
Relations with Russia haven't exactly been warm
since the end of the Cold War – from the
Litvinenko poisoning to the infamous Moscow "spy
rock" – but according to the Government's Trade
& Investment website, Russia is the UK's fastest-
growing major export market.

7. Cantonese
The majority of the UK's Cantonese speakers have
ties to Hong Kong, where it is the official language.
But Cantonese is spoken much more widely
around the world, with nearly 70 million native
speakers.

6. Arabic
Any who doubts the importance of Arabic-speaking
business to the United Kingdom's economy should
take a look at The Shard – the tallest building in
Western Europe was largely made possible by
Qatari investment. Or they could just ask a
Manchester City fan.

5. Polish
Polish makes the top five, with 19 per cent of UK
managers rating it as useful for their organisations.
Large-scale Polish migration to the UK after the
country's admission to the European Union made
the headlines, but as the largest consumer market
of the new EU member states and the only EU
country to avoid recession since the downturn
began, business ties with Poland extend
considerably further.

4. Mandarin
The official language of China – the world's most
populous and economically dynamic nation –
features highly in managers' preferences. In 2006
Brighton College became the first school in the
United Kingdom to made studying Mandarin
compulsory for all 13 year-olds.

3. Spanish
Valued as a major European language but also as
the leading language of fast-growing Latin
American economies – as well as its continued
rise to prominence in the United States – Spanish
is rated as useful by 37 per cent of the employers
surveyed.

2. French
It may be in seemingly terminal decline as a
subject of study in our secondary education
system, but proficiency in French remains a highly
sought-after skill among UK employers, with 49
per cent rating it as useful for their organisations.

1. German
Germany remains the largest single export market
for British goods outside of the USA, and Europe's
largest economy – with a GDP of more than €2.4
trillion – continues to defy the eurozone downturn .
So it's no surprise that UK companies want to hire
employees who know their umlauts from their
eszetts.

source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9487434/Graduate-jobs-Best-languages-to-study.html?frame=2314788#?frame=2314790

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Robinson3d: 8:53pm On Nov 03, 2013
this is great.But that is if you want to do business outside the borders of Nigeria. If you are in Naija, you need to know igbo, Yoruba, pidgin and warri

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Big4wig(m): 8:53pm On Nov 03, 2013
Abuja gals be lyk..."baby wat d u get 4 me 4 ECLIPSE".

9 Likes

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by UNLEASHED(m): 8:53pm On Nov 03, 2013
Where's any Nigerian language

1 Like

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by charlsecy(m): 8:53pm On Nov 03, 2013
I want to learn Chinese and French.

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Antell95(m): 8:53pm On Nov 03, 2013
Ok.. Good
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by tunshe: 8:55pm On Nov 03, 2013
Thank you, very timely for me to decide my priority between French and Spanish.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by pelhurmy(m): 8:55pm On Nov 03, 2013
french,chinese n German will do....
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by philusaau(f): 8:56pm On Nov 03, 2013
Estoy feliz de que puedo hablar muy bien el español
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by NotNairalandi(m): 8:56pm On Nov 03, 2013
Abro,! Why u no write Igbo Language! Are u a learner? Onitsha Main market things on my mind........

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Olugbenger(m): 8:56pm On Nov 03, 2013
Op, this ur list is rotten and fails to be comprehensive enough.
Where is our Best seller; pidgin english?
angry angry angry angry
It is very popular here and i need not explain the size of Nigeria's Market and state what my country exports.

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by GSKing: 8:56pm On Nov 03, 2013
I know Spanish and a lil Portuguesegrin
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Nobody: 8:57pm On Nov 03, 2013
11. IGBO.
Not for Nigerians but Asians

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by dheaven: 8:58pm On Nov 03, 2013
But you are suppose to list English as No.1 Germany 2 and so on instead of listing German as No. 1
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by AjanleKoko: 8:58pm On Nov 03, 2013
Okay, this is for the UK.
Though I stand corrected, but I'd have thought English alone was sufficient to function in that market. An advanced, highly-diversified economy like Britain is not overly dependent on other markets per se.

For Nigeria, I'd say working proficiency in French, and maybe Chinese, is very important, specifically for business and technology graduates.

Many educated Francophone West Africans speak English, giving them a distinct advantage for multinational jobs in West and Central Africa. When the Oyinbo companies come calling, they want people who are bilingual and can cover both Anglophone and Francophone markets.

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by everyday: 8:59pm On Nov 03, 2013
where can i learn these languages
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Mamacita007(f): 8:59pm On Nov 03, 2013
Me yamo mamacita - spanish
Afa m bu mamacita - igbo

Let's do business grin grin spanish is the most valuable in America

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:59pm On Nov 03, 2013
Honestly, I v shotlisted these languages to study them.
I observed last year that they are the leading languages in the world.
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Nobody: 8:59pm On Nov 03, 2013
This article is obviously for a British audience.

What Nigerians need to learn are French (for our Francophone neighbours) and Mandarin (for our Igbo traders who go to Guangzhou for business).

6 Likes

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Gifted4all(m): 9:01pm On Nov 03, 2013
Nna maka y u forget to put igbo for der,dats d language we use for importer nd exporter. Chinekeeeeee uwa di egwu

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 03, 2013
Am fluent in German and French. Thank You!
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by BlackHuman(m): 9:05pm On Nov 03, 2013
"Foreign" languages that can help you in business HERE IN NIGERIA
-Yoruba
-Hausa
-Igbo (WAZOBIA)

1 Like

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by ifebosco: 9:07pm On Nov 03, 2013
philusaau: Estoy feliz de que puedo hablar muy bien el español
ya somos dos hermaño
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Tayeni(m): 9:08pm On Nov 03, 2013
Mandarin and French for me
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by God2man(m): 9:11pm On Nov 03, 2013
Great thread. I am really interested in various foreign languages.

God2man.
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by hammedkola(m): 9:11pm On Nov 03, 2013
That's why I want to add Arabic n Spanish to my memory hard disk
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Dannylux: 9:11pm On Nov 03, 2013
Mandarin, French and Arabic - with these you can almost go around the world language-barrier-free (taking English to be known already)

They are the ones I admire smiley
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by ProfessorPP(m): 9:11pm On Nov 03, 2013
Why did U exclude ISOKO, URHOBO, IJESA & IJEBU. grin
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by 3Dimension: 9:11pm On Nov 03, 2013
I laff in swahili. U no put igbo language. When be say na 1/3 pound road aba. Be the main thing.

U no put yoruba wey be say 128 nnamdi azikwe street idumota is the cbd of lagos.

U no put afrikaans (abi na wetin dem dey speak for zimbabwe sef) wey be say na dir the end time newspaper they see enuf news. Abeg change ur report joor

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by millhouse: 9:13pm On Nov 03, 2013
Ijaw
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by AbuMikey(m): 9:15pm On Nov 03, 2013

I'm actually learning how to speak Spanish!! cool

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by russianmob27: 9:17pm On Nov 03, 2013
I speak russian fluently...good for me i guess cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Business Can A 19 Year Old University Student Do To Earn A Living? / 5 Banks Earn N15.7bn On Account Maintenance Charges In Q1 2019 / Judge Issues Arrest Warrant For Exxonmobil's Richard Laing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.