Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,893 members, 7,814,015 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business (15996 Views)

Top 10 College Drop Outs Who Made It Big In Business / Integrity And Ethics: Foundations For Sucess In Business / Partnership in business - Your Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by berryldilty(f): 2:28am On Nov 04, 2013
FrenchyL: Et moi, je parle le francais grin
tres bien wink
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Nobody: 5:07am On Nov 04, 2013
I speak a little bit of *Spanglish*
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Remmyode(m): 5:20am On Nov 04, 2013
Idrismusty97: 10. Portuguese
Brazil recently overtook the United Kingdom as the
world's sixth-largest economy, and with the
football World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics
just around the corner, all eyes will be on this
Portuguese-speaking "Bric" nation.
--
These rankings are based on a survey carried out
for the CBI Education & skills survey 2012, in
which 542 UK firm managers were asked which
languages are useful to their business.

9. Japanese
Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt's love of the
lambada may have earned him more ridicule than
respect, but his proficiency in Japanese – he spent
two years teaching English in Japan – is held in
high esteem among his parliamentary colleagues,
and came in useful on a recent trade mission to
Japan.

8. Russian
Relations with Russia haven't exactly been warm
since the end of the Cold War – from the
Litvinenko poisoning to the infamous Moscow "spy
rock" – but according to the Government's Trade
& Investment website, Russia is the UK's fastest-
growing major export market.

7. Cantonese
The majority of the UK's Cantonese speakers have
ties to Hong Kong, where it is the official language.
But Cantonese is spoken much more widely
around the world, with nearly 70 million native
speakers.

6. Arabic
Any who doubts the importance of Arabic-speaking
business to the United Kingdom's economy should
take a look at The Shard – the tallest building in
Western Europe was largely made possible by
Qatari investment. Or they could just ask a
Manchester City fan.

5. Polish
Polish makes the top five, with 19 per cent of UK
managers rating it as useful for their organisations.
Large-scale Polish migration to the UK after the
country's admission to the European Union made
the headlines, but as the largest consumer market
of the new EU member states and the only EU
country to avoid recession since the downturn
began, business ties with Poland extend
considerably further.

4. Mandarin
The official language of China – the world's most
populous and economically dynamic nation –
features highly in managers' preferences. In 2006
Brighton College became the first school in the
United Kingdom to made studying Mandarin
compulsory for all 13 year-olds.

3. Spanish
Valued as a major European language but also as
the leading language of fast-growing Latin
American economies – as well as its continued
rise to prominence in the United States – Spanish
is rated as useful by 37 per cent of the employers
surveyed.

2. French
It may be in seemingly terminal decline as a
subject of study in our secondary education
system, but proficiency in French remains a highly
sought-after skill among UK employers, with 49
per cent rating it as useful for their organisations.

1. German
Germany remains the largest single export market
for British goods outside of the USA, and Europe's
largest economy – with a GDP of more than €2.4
trillion – continues to defy the eurozone downturn .
So it's no surprise that UK companies want to hire
employees who know their umlauts from their
eszetts.

source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9487434/Graduate-jobs-Best-languages-to-study.html?frame=2314788#?frame=2314790

I speak the first two languages and it's clearly stated on my cv and I can't get a job in Nigeria when I was searching for job. The only language that can help your business is WHOM YOU KNOW. This not for Nigeria sha.
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Morgan1092(m): 5:59am On Nov 04, 2013
Phder: I speak a little bit of *Spanglish*
But nt gud in English
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by justi4jesu(f): 6:07am On Nov 04, 2013
Je parle francais..

Am also learning Arabic,swahili and filipino.

Most of my colleagues in the office either speak Arabic, swahili or filipino, so I learn from them.
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by justi4jesu(f): 6:10am On Nov 04, 2013
bluerange: Already proficient in italian, right now am doing a course that requires l do a foreign language alongside it, so German is it. am also pickin up Swahili as l am in Kenya.

Mambo?
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Nobody: 6:20am On Nov 04, 2013
russianmob27: I speak russian fluently...good for me i guess cheesy cheesy
hey man how are you? I would love to get in contact with you because I have almost forgotten every aspect of russian. Can we hookup? I need a friend I can interact with so I do not forget. I speak intermediate russian, I was in language school but withouth practise I am beginning to forget a lot. My pin is 2a598eab. Call me on 08166348962. Thanks man.
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Nobody: 6:38am On Nov 04, 2013
wman: Guten Nacht
Ich heibe wman
Ich spreche Deutsch, Anglish Englisch unt Yoruba
Ich wohne in Lagos
Ich bin ledig

Thank God I used the first month of the ASUU strike to learn German.
Unlike the stupid ones who sit at home watching movies, doing irrelevant things and blame ASUU for all their life woes.

Google translate at work. Stop deceiving yourself. German is a very difficult language to learn and it took my brother 2 years of living in Germany to master and command the language. 2 month is not even enough to learn the complicated consonants, not to talk of the whole language!

Abeg, Park well joor.
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 04, 2013
Morgan1092: But nt gud in English
Not good in English?
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Nobody: 6:52am On Nov 04, 2013
gbosaa:

Nigerians also...not just Asians..ignore igbo at your own peril,it will prevent some awkward moments at alaba mkt,ladipo,onitsha,aba etc.

I know, but Igbo is a local Lang in Nigeria not a foreign one.
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by ONWARDBABA: 8:30am On Nov 04, 2013
PLEASE PEEPS I NEED A LANGUAGE SCH HOW CAN I GET ONE
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by hardbody: 8:37am On Nov 04, 2013
Idrismusty97: 10. Portuguese
Brazil recently overtook the United Kingdom as the
world's sixth-largest economy, and with the
football World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics
just around the corner, all eyes will be on this
Portuguese-speaking "Bric" nation.
--
These rankings are based on a survey carried out
for the CBI Education & skills survey 2012, in
which 542 UK firm managers were asked which
languages are useful to their business.

9. Japanese
Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt's love of the
lambada may have earned him more ridicule than
respect, but his proficiency in Japanese – he spent
two years teaching English in Japan – is held in
high esteem among his parliamentary colleagues,
and came in useful on a recent trade mission to
Japan.

8. Russian
Relations with Russia haven't exactly been warm
since the end of the Cold War – from the
Litvinenko poisoning to the infamous Moscow "spy
rock" – but according to the Government's Trade
& Investment website, Russia is the UK's fastest-
growing major export market.

7. Cantonese
The majority of the UK's Cantonese speakers have
ties to Hong Kong, where it is the official language.
But Cantonese is spoken much more widely
around the world, with nearly 70 million native
speakers.

6. Arabic
Any who doubts the importance of Arabic-speaking
business to the United Kingdom's economy should
take a look at The Shard – the tallest building in
Western Europe was largely made possible by
Qatari investment. Or they could just ask a
Manchester City fan.

5. Polish
Polish makes the top five, with 19 per cent of UK
managers rating it as useful for their organisations.
Large-scale Polish migration to the UK after the
country's admission to the European Union made
the headlines, but as the largest consumer market
of the new EU member states and the only EU
country to avoid recession since the downturn
began, business ties with Poland extend
considerably further.

4. Mandarin
The official language of China – the world's most
populous and economically dynamic nation –
features highly in managers' preferences. In 2006
Brighton College became the first school in the
United Kingdom to made studying Mandarin
compulsory for all 13 year-olds.

3. Spanish
Valued as a major European language but also as
the leading language of fast-growing Latin
American economies – as well as its continued
rise to prominence in the United States – Spanish
is rated as useful by 37 per cent of the employers
surveyed.

2. French
It may be in seemingly terminal decline as a
subject of study in our secondary education
system, but proficiency in French remains a highly
sought-after skill among UK employers, with 49
per cent rating it as useful for their organisations.

1. German
Germany remains the largest single export market
for British goods outside of the USA, and Europe's
largest economy – with a GDP of more than €2.4
trillion – continues to defy the eurozone downturn .
So it's no surprise that UK companies want to hire
employees who know their umlauts from their
eszetts.

source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9487434/Graduate-jobs-Best-languages-to-study.html?frame=2314788#?frame=2314790

You forgot the prime places in the language slots and the benefits derivable internationally if you can communicate with any or all of Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba. The sky will be your limit. Ask Segun Arinze and Bisi Olatilo amongst other international stars....
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by dnawah(m): 9:15am On Nov 04, 2013
I bit my tongue,when trying to learn chinese.then i gave it up.the french and english are ok.(in basket mouth voice"how many Dangote the speak?money speaks louder and faster than languagses"

1 Like

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by MzteejaY(f): 9:25am On Nov 04, 2013
Mamacita007: Me yamo mamacita - spanish
its me llamo(pronouced yamo tho bt spelled llamo)
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by dodo77: 9:28am On Nov 04, 2013
English is the most spoken language in the world followed by french. in order of importance i would list english language as number 1, french as number 2.
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by arrester: 9:37am On Nov 04, 2013
I implore our satellite station providers like dstv, startimes,gotv etc to include foreign languages tv stations like aljazeera arabic france 24 in their popular bouquet to assist. Nigerian learners of foreign languages,
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by owoyale1: 10:07am On Nov 04, 2013
But seriously you can get some freelance jobs on (jolancer. com)
since it is Nigerian freelancers network website
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by fbabs(m): 10:31am On Nov 04, 2013
Ich heibe wman
Ich spreche Deutsch, Anglish unt Yoruba
Ich wohne in Lagos
Ich bin ledig

Unlike the stupid ones who sit at home watching movies, doing irrelevant things and blame ASUU for all their life woes.
Must U flaunt ur ID ? wetin Person wey learn more than U do .
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Chinaimporter: 11:30am On Nov 04, 2013
justi4jesu: Je parle francais..

Am also learning Arabic,swahili and Philippines.

Most of my colleagues in the office either speak Arabic, swahili or philipines, so I learn from them.

[size=17pt]then u must be an illiterate farm worker or illegal junkie in the uk since u tink philipines is a language.my friend filipinos speak tagalog.nicompool.learning a language u dont even know the namw[/size]
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by olupentane(m): 11:37am On Nov 04, 2013
Ich heibe wman
Ich spreche Deutsch, Anglish unt Yoruba
Ich wohne in Lagos
Ich bin ledig

And you really think you've achieved more than those watching film, and that gave you the gut to call anybody stupid.
please always mind your own biz, and for those watching film "it's their life"

1 Like

Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by olupentane(m): 11:45am On Nov 04, 2013
Chinaimporter:

[size=17pt]then u must be an illiterate farm worker or illegal junkie in the uk since u tink philipines is a language.my friend filipinos speak tagalog.nicompool.learning a language u dont even know the namw[/size]

Who will help Nigeria? people can be disrespectful ooooo
FYI poster dey UAE.
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Inyanga(m): 11:56am On Nov 04, 2013
Once you learn how to speak Calabar, you don't need to learn Chinese anymore cause they are similar.... But why isn't English No 1?
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by psalm68(m): 12:17pm On Nov 04, 2013
knightsamsong: deutschland deutschland über alles, über alles in der welt...germany germany, above everything, above all in this world!
[color=#990000][/color]

ja,das stimmt
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by chukxie(m): 12:25pm On Nov 04, 2013
sage_: Is Chinese learnable?

Of course it is! Every language is learnable. Its learnability depends on the learner's interest to become learned in that language. If i could learn Mandarin (Chinese) by myself and speak it the way i do now, i believe anyone with half a brain can learn and speak it as well. Ni hao !
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by chukxie(m): 12:56pm On Nov 04, 2013
Chinaimporter:

You should've learnt how to spell 'nincompoop' correctly before calling someone an illiterate. Don't you think?
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 04, 2013
dodo77: English is the most spoken language in the world followed by french. in order of importance i would list english language as number 1, french as number 2.

Actually Chinese Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world in terms of population, English is a close second, followed by Spanish. I don't think French even made the top 5...I could be wrong, though.
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Nobody: 1:26pm On Nov 04, 2013
justi4jesu: Je parle francais..

Am also learning Arabic,swahili and Philippines.

Most of my colleagues in the office either speak Arabic, swahili or philipines, so I learn from them.

My, my... PHILIPPINES?? Is that even a language? Some people self no sabi lie wella...
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Nobody: 1:28pm On Nov 04, 2013
chukxie:

You should've learnt how to spell 'nincompoop' correctly before calling someone an illiterate. Don't you think?

LoL... A case of pot calling kettle black.
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by Nobody: 1:36pm On Nov 04, 2013
Phder: I speak a little bit of *Spanglish*

An informal language of Belize, a tiny central American nation.
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by justi4jesu(f): 1:52pm On Nov 04, 2013
Chinaimporter:

Well you can write whatever you wish on a faceless forum, but for your information it is either called filipino or tagalog, they also have cebu, ilokano etc.

And also check your dictionary for correct spellings if you intend to use vocabularies. Get schooled.
Re: Foreign Languages That May Help You In Business by justi4jesu(f): 1:56pm On Nov 04, 2013
FrostyZonn:

My, my... PHILIPPINES?? Is that even a language? Some people self no sabi lie wella...

Its filipino or tagalog. Some informations you read here on Nairaland are not just for commenting but informative. So learn while you read people's comments.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can You Really Make Money Online On Autopilot? / Binance: Whistleblowers Cry Out Over Threat To Life, Seek Fg’s Protection / 1.2million Nigerians To Get Soft Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.