Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria (32249 Views)

Why Was Part Time Programe Not Suspended In Polytechnics. / Newsflash: ASUU Strike Has Been Suspended! / Preparing for GRE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by InvertedHammer: 7:37pm On Nov 08, 2013
/
Chickens coming home to roost...

syphilitic parochialism!

//
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 08, 2013
cezeozue: Hey guys,

This is very unfortunate news. Please sign and share this petition to get a better explanation from ETS and to have them lift the suspension ASAP:

http://chn.ge/1gwukfs

Dubby, thank you so much for starting this petition. I was getting ready to write the GRE test this month just to see this unfortunate news. I've been preparing for it since August!

Ukiwo Anya

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by philc334: 8:31pm On Nov 08, 2013
solomon111: Why're Nigerians so corrupt?
We blame the govt,forgetting that the govt comes from among us.
Bros, the word is not corrupt. we are just doing the "needful"
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by DonaldsN(m): 8:42pm On Nov 08, 2013
bigheart2013: Poor Kids, sorry! The price of coming from a corrupt nation. However, I never had to write TOEFL when I did my post-graduate in USA. The admission office of the Uni insisted, but I went to the Dean's office and argued it out that Nigeria is an English-speaking country. I was very courteous, never raised my voice but remained adamant and passionate. During the course of my discussions she was paying attention to my use of English Language. At the end she agreed with me that I didn't need it, and sent email to the admissions officer to allow me register. Maybe I was lucky. But sometime if you can prove yourself USA administrators are very hands-on & believe in merit. You just need to prove yourself.

Well, with corruption everyone pays dearly. Another reason why you young Nigerians must stop cheering corruption and wealthy criminals. They are wasting your future, while you applaud them.
Pls, I need to talk to you. Contact me via dnnanta@gmail.com thanks
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 08, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.....Egbami oh. I dey laff in french. Guy have some empathy na...
Amefrica:

TOEFL/GRE wasn't scrapped because of you. You've got a good command of English Language already..
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 08, 2013
WHAT A CORRUPT COUNTRY AND PEOPLE!!!!
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by oc2fish: 10:43pm On Nov 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

There is. They waive TOEFL for almost all graduate students and some undergrads from Nigeria in US schools. They also waive GRE in some MS programs but it's compulsory for PhD in all schools.

If you can get prove from your lecturer that studied abroad or from your principal that you mother tongue and other studies was in English they will accept your application once your ability to pay is proven.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:32pm On Nov 08, 2013
simmit: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.....Egbami oh. I dey laff in french. Guy have some empathy na...

grin nor mind me bro, I was only doing the 'needfull'.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by imperiouxx(m): 11:36pm On Nov 08, 2013
oc2fish:

If you can get prove from your lecturer that studied abroad or from your principal that you mother tongue and other studies was in English they will accept your application once your ability to pay is proven.

Yes sure.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by kobikwelu(m): 11:41pm On Nov 08, 2013
Half o the comments on here are either half-truths or outright ignorant....

First things first...i expected that this banning would happen soon. I remember my experience writing the same exam...i read and studied..the exam was very high tension for me, because i knew what was at stake. I came out of that exam with the mindset that it was a very standard way of Judging one's abilities..honestly. Fast forward to 3 months ago, i was talking to a friend that wanted his brother to come join him in the US..i advised him to tell his brother to read with the hope of securing funding from a good school in the US....only for the guy to tell me that he will tell his brother to "Runs" it.
i looked at him shocked and said, it was not possible that that exam could be "runs-ed"..and he laughed and told me that "naaa todayyy..they don dey runs that thing since"...
I was ashamed of Nigerians immediately......

Secondly....nobody banned Nigeria from applying for DV ...we were taken off the immigration disadvantaged list...we have joined the likes of India, China, UK...For the past 5 years, we have sent close to 50,000 people to the US (Green Card Lottery) etc....That is why...
So stop spreading half truths
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:47pm On Nov 08, 2013
akereconfi:

I guess you mere heard about it............. You haven't taken TOEFL or IELTS test before.
i just wasted my money taking Toefl when i got to the school its was no longer needed. In short they gave me their own English exam so they can see how strong my English is so i don't take basic English classes the only thing that's important is SAT and GRE.. Some schools uses the WAEC and waive SAT sometimes.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Odunharry(m): 11:52pm On Nov 08, 2013
MAYOWAAK:

I just cant shake it off my mind that Nigeria is exactly the way the majority of Nigerians want it to be, right now. I have turned it over in my mind time and again and I can clearly see that Nigerians do not innately believe in equality of man or in fair distribution of wealth. Somehow, we are opportunistic in our outlook on life and believe more in stratification, in a social echelon based not on contribution or achievement, but on privileges obtained by almost any means at all. We love a setting where hard work does not necessarily guarantee wealth but where mysterious luck ('favour') intercept the course of things and the unpredictable hands of something called destiny comes to bring sudden, unheard of riches. And it is interesting how this outlook on life has been adopted and incorporated into our standard religious liturgies. Corruption saw this weakness in our world view and snugly wriggled in.

Our society believe there are masters and there are slaves by sine divine arrangement, there are 'heads' that are destined to be great and those bound to be base. These beliefs have no logical, historical, spiritual or humane basis but a synthesis of our selfish attitude and a will to deny others by reducing their rights to mere privileges. Our ancient religions taught this and people were enjoined to court the gods in whose hands is the power to bestow wealth. Fetish practices up to the extent of human sacrifice are still the order of the day in our society all in a bid to supernaturally and unfairly gain mileage over competitors, knowing full well that such advantage could not be secured legally or in good conscience. That same mindset of winning at terrible costs to everyone else has been transplanted into our version of modern faiths and modified into saccharine-coated doctrines, paws of the devouring lions of cruel opportunism in the velvety glows of fine Sunday morning religion.

In all, the average Nigerian is not really against corruption, he is only pissed off that he is not the one who has a chance at the public treasury. Which also explains why he is longsuffering with the problem of corruption and why it is hard to expect a revolution in Nigeria: the people generally do not want the fall of the system. Why destroy a thing that promises such sudden, stupendous wealth when, wish some more patient, it can someday be your turn, even you!
chai
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by NoQualms1(f): 11:55pm On Nov 08, 2013
Amefrica:

TOEFL/GRE wasn't scrapped because of you. You've got a good command of English Language already..

hahahahaha
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Odunharry(m): 11:55pm On Nov 08, 2013
pato405:

Are you simply fascinated by this obviously plagiarised essay or you lack comprehension of the crux of this thread. There is no modicum of correlation between your post and the subject/topic. Your point lacks the needed constructive and logical link to the debate. It does not come as a suprise that Nigerians are now disenfranchised from taking the exams (TOEFL/GRE). Critical comprehension askills and analytical views to topics are always lacking. The avarage Nigerian student just cant do without 'copying and pasting', claiming to be smart when apparently, they know next to nothing. So annoying angry
u dy para o
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:06am On Nov 09, 2013
No Qualms:

hahahahaha

grin
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by thoth: 1:10am On Nov 09, 2013
Haha, they are slowly squeezing the blood out of Nigerians, it is really funny that people here don't see what is happening and they naturally find something in themselves to criticize.

Neighboring nations chasing you out,
Government employs IMF agents and they borrowing and squandering the nation to hell,
nations all over the world starting to protest over you on common things,
Now they banned you from moving out to study based on some erroneous security claims,

Brothers you are slowly being tagged a terrorist country, and when all are in place you will witness the fate of Yugoslavia.

I can see a news written somewhere describing the bad security situation in Nigeria and they will chip in a line like " last November GRE and TOEFL test were suspended due to fears of terrorist attack....." hahaha , do you know the credence such lines gives to what they were saying? do you now how it makes a foreigner who does not know about Nigeria feel about who is saying the truth ?

They did not stop tests in the North, nor the middle belt but on the whole nation. Your government does not care, the people does not care, why should anybody care.

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by EreluY(f): 1:22am On Nov 09, 2013
akereconfi: They should just go and apply for IELTS, serve same purpose, no need to be scared

Yes and No. Yes, IELTS is accepted in lieu of TOEFL. No, IELTS's score isn't a subsitite for GRE score (not even in lieu for the verbal section of the GRE test) which you need to be admitted into MA, PhD programmes in top notch Graduate Schools in the USA.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by cuteboy2: 3:14am On Nov 09, 2013
the_ripper3: So GRE get runs? choi, dat exam sha.

well, na Ghana sure pass for prospective takers. Part of the misfortunes of being a Nigerian at times

Dem cancel una for american visa lottery
dem cancel GRE
DEm cancel toefl join

Please get your facts right. Nigeria was not "canceled" from US Diversity Visa Lottery. We exhausted our quota of 50,000 visas so we were disqualified. Same thing happened to India and China years back. We did nothing wrong. It's just the rule to ensure no nation dominates.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by cuteboy2: 3:19am On Nov 09, 2013
oneangle: My. Legs re shaking- visa lottery cancelled now GRE nd Toefl.

Please get your facts right. Nigeria was not "canceled" from US Diversity Visa Lottery. We exhausted our quota of 50,000 visas so we were disqualified. Same thing happened to India and China years back. We did nothing wrong. It's just the rule to ensure no nation dominates
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by cuteboy2: 3:48am On Nov 09, 2013
solomon111: Shut up.
Corruption has been Nigeria's problem right from independence.
Buhari came,met corruption and left the corruption without dealing with it.

Gbam!!!
Is it only Buhari?
How many people did Thief-nubu prosecute for corruption as governor of lagos state? Nobody. Today the APC crowd sit on same high table with former govs of Borno & Nassarawa states, both certified thiefs.

Buhari himself was chairman of PTF (similar agency like SURE-P or NNDC) under Abacha. Can anyone point to one single project that PTF executed. He enriched a few northern contractors and frittered away all the money. Now he is strutting the landscape as Mr Clean.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Mayflowa(m): 7:27am On Nov 09, 2013
It is not enough for ETS to cite security concerns only for the suspension without going into details. That is disrespectful in my opinion.

Of a truth, indians and china cheat more in GRE using mercernaries than Nigerians but ETS seem to gain more from them because of large volume of applications from these other nations.

Besides Ghana, you can still write the exam in cotonou which is closer.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by bootlegaz: 8:09am On Nov 09, 2013
I thought it was gifted intelligence that made so many Nigerians in Nigeria wrote and pass their GRE and i never knew I was been fooled. I hope those that are in different MBA Programs here in states graduate after cheating their way through from Nigeria. I am glad the test centers were canceled.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by pjosh1(m): 9:49am On Nov 09, 2013
I sometimes regret been a Nigerian.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by honourableseyi: 11:20am On Nov 09, 2013
I think these things started since when we have refused to back down on homosexuality and lesbianism issue. If you look at it very, both UK and US threatened to stop giving us aids if we refuse to do their bidding in terms of same sex marriage. From visa lottery expulsion to 3000pounds Uk bond and now TOEFL and GRE...........
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:48pm On Nov 09, 2013
bambuzz88: Now where are the corrupt [size=13pt]politicians[/size], Local Universititeis are still sleeping under the bed of ASUU, DV Lottery cancelled,now TOEFL and GRE suspended, Nigerians Wake up, our tyrant leaders are gradually enslaving us totally when other nations are awake

Which politicians are enslaving you? Keep enslaving yourselves and be shouting Politicians... undecided
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by sawhite: 1:11pm On Nov 09, 2013

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by GSyntax(m): 6:49pm On Nov 09, 2013
The reason stated by ETS for the suspension of both the GRE and TOEFL exams is very vague and ambiguous. The TOEFL test in Nigeria is hosted by different licensed firms and holds in about ten cities in the country namely: Abuja, Kano, Kaduna, Jos, Minna, Lagos, Ibadan, Port Harcourt, Warri, and Owerri. The GRE test, on the other hand, holds only in Lagos and Abuja.

I beg to disagree that all of these centres hosting the exams in Nigeria are indulging in malpractice. ETS should investigate thoroughly and sanction only the culpable centres, and ensure testing resumes in the country pronto.

Worst case scenario, ETS/Prometric can set up centres in Nigeria that are solely manned by their staff or liaise with all the Education Advising Centres (EAC) in the US Consulate Offices in Nigeria to set up functional TOEFL and GRE centres asap.

I advice them to borrow a leaf from GMAC/Pearson VUE with respect to how they dealt with the withdrawing of rights for hosting GMAT from the previous host in Abuja and gave same to British Canadian Int’l Edu (BCIE) Abuja. I do not know the reasons behind the change, but the whole process went underground very swiftly around Jan/Feb this year, and never raised any furore!

This indefinite suspension adjudication is grossly unacceptable to us!
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 09, 2013
Cele-pope:

With your English construction above you are also likely to fail an English test.
Lol
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by PHEMMHYY(m): 8:27pm On Nov 09, 2013
Sorry to say this, majority of we Nigerians have brain but we A̶̲̥̅я̲̅ε̲̣ too lazy to make use of it
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by adgbadebo1: 9:02am On Nov 10, 2013
If you are interested in Registering and Testing your GRE or TOEFL in Ghana or any other Neighboring countries of Nigeria @ affordable registration fee call 07086833330. Suspension of Testing in Nigeria cannot stop you so utilize this available opportunity now as testing spaces are limited and admission deadlines are close.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by adgbadebo1: 10:02am On Nov 10, 2013
My ambitious Naijas, let us understand that Education Testing Services (ETS) only suspended not stopped testing in Nigeria (for the reason given which can obviously be interpreted to bad examination supervision ethics in the two testing centers for GRE and many others for TOEFL or moral bridge in download of the actual tests by the Nigerian exam's administrator in the centers). However, the good news is that Nigerians can still do the test abroad till we put our house in order.

Meanwhile, you can join other Nigerians to sign the petition on http://chn.ge/1gwukfs but pending when our signed petition will be given attention and possible consideration, since deadlines are closed, an alternative measure is to test abroad. So, if you are still interested in Registering and Testing your GRE or TOEFL in Ghana or any other Neighboring countries of Nigeria at affordable registration fee call 07086833330 or 08174724261. They helped me registered mine last year in WAEC office in Accra when an agent in Nigeria messed me up.

My 'Naija-rians' Suspension of Testing in Nigeria cannot stop us so let us utilize this available opportunity now as testing spaces are limited and admission deadlines are close. Available testing dates are:

TOEFL AVAILABLE TESTING DATES

Friday, November 22, 2013 08:00 AM
Friday, December 06, 2013 08:00 AM
Saturday, December 07, 2013 08:00 AM
Saturday, December 14, 2013 09:00 AM
Friday, December 20, 2013

GRE AVAILABLE TESTING DATES
NOVEMBER 2013. 19, 20, 25, 26,
DECEMBER 2013 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18

Numbers to call again are: 07086833330 or 08174724261
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by adgbadebo1: 10:14am On Nov 10, 2013
My ambitious Naijas, let us understand that Education Testing Services (ETS) only suspended not stopped testing in Nigeria (for the reason given which can obviously be interpreted to bad examination supervision ethics in the two testing centers for GRE and many others for TOEFL or moral bridge in download of the actual tests by the Nigerian exam's administrator in the centers). However, the good news is that Nigerians can still do the test abroad till we put our house in order.

Meanwhile, you can join other Nigerians to sign the petition on http://chn.ge/1gwukfs but pending when our signed petition will be given attention and possible consideration, since deadlines are closed, an alternative measure is to test abroad. So, if you are still interested in Registering and Testing your GRE or TOEFL in Ghana or any other Neighboring countries of Nigeria at affordable registration fee call 07086833330 or 08174724261. They helped me registered mine last year in WAEC office in Accra when an agent in Nigeria messed me up.

My 'Naija-rians' the suspension of testing in Nigeria cannot stop us so let us utilize this available opportunity now as testing spaces are limited and admission deadlines are close. Available testing dates are:

TOEFL AVAILABLE TESTING DATES

Friday, November 22, 2013 08:00 AM
Friday, December 06, 2013 08:00 AM
Saturday, December 07, 2013 08:00 AM
Saturday, December 14, 2013 09:00 AM
Friday, December 20, 2013

GRE AVAILABLE TESTING DATES
NOVEMBER 2013. 19, 20, 25, 26,
DECEMBER 2013 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18

Numbers to call again are: 07086833330 or 08174724261

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BREAKING: Fashola Orders Reversal Of LASU Fees To Old Charges / Adio Igboro: 80-Year-Old Graduates From LASU MSc Degree, International Relations / See How A UNILORIN Student Returned Money To The University Purse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.