Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria (32259 Views)

Why Was Part Time Programe Not Suspended In Polytechnics. / Newsflash: ASUU Strike Has Been Suspended! / Preparing for GRE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Celepope: 2:26pm On Nov 08, 2013
Afam4eva: This is very wicked of them. Why does not ETS always exaggerate like this. Is the Collegeboard still not conducting SAT successfully in Nigeria? If not for the ogbanje English that some Nigerians speak, i see no reason why Nigerian should even be writing Toefl cos those questions are for people that don't know what "Come" is in English. Any Nigerian that fails toefl deserves to be flogged.
With your English construction above you are also likely to fail an English test.

5 Likes

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 08, 2013
How is it the politian's fault in this case? Are they the organisers of the test in Nigeria? Nigerians ARE the problem of Nigeria.

Exonerated yourself,friends,brothers and sisters and blame the government?
bambuzz88: Now where are the corrupt [size=13pt]politicians[/size], Local Universititeis are still sleeping under the bed of ASUU, DV Lottery cancelled,now TOEFL and GRE suspended, Nigerians Wake up, our tyrant leaders are gradually enslaving us totally when other nations are awake
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by akereconfi: 2:30pm On Nov 08, 2013
They should just go and apply for IELTS, serve same purpose, no need to be scared
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by dolpaz: 2:31pm On Nov 08, 2013
Anoda way to put nigeria in the black list
God help us !!!
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by ziccoit: 2:32pm On Nov 08, 2013
The same way Nigeria with her enormous economy potential is exempted from payPal. USMLE is not taken in Nigeria, candidates have to travel down to Ghana.
Nigeria problem is not about the masses but the very few at the position of leadership that have "institutionalized corruption" so much that it permeates every facets of our lives. Common masses are doing well, at least U17 team members currently in Dubai are from the masses. Oduah et al are from the elites.

4 Likes

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by dolpaz: 2:34pm On Nov 08, 2013
Cele-pope:

With your English construction above you are also likely to fail an English test.
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cry cry

2 Likes

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by akereconfi: 2:38pm On Nov 08, 2013
Afam4eva: This is very wicked of them. Why does not ETS always exaggerate like this. Is the Collegeboard still not conducting SAT successfully in Nigeria? If not for the ogbanje English that some Nigerians speak, i see no reason why Nigerian should even be writing Toefl cos those questions are for people that don't know what "Come" is in English. Any Nigerian that fails toefl deserves to be flogged.

I guess you mere heard about it............. You haven't taken TOEFL or IELTS test before.

3 Likes

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by akereconfi: 2:40pm On Nov 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Toefl is just meant to test your knowledge of the English langiage and is not really used for admission. Infact, some schools can waive it if you tell them you're from Commonwealth Nigeria or they ascertain that you don't need the exam.

My friend, remember that before you apply to the school, you must have seen there entry requirement abi. If TOEFL/IELTS is a requirement for non EU students, there is nothing like waiver. Get your fact correct

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by kellyemms: 2:41pm On Nov 08, 2013
do the ukba really verify the toefl ibt result
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 08, 2013
nora544: The test from the british coucil is the same than the tofle and for all countries in europa and you can still make this test in nigeria.

I have an other question why it is so hard for nigerians to make this test because when you realy know english very good than it is no problem.

TOEFL/GRE wasn't scrapped because of you. You've got a good command of English Language already..

3 Likes

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by imperiouxx(m): 2:43pm On Nov 08, 2013
akereconfi:

My friend, remember that before you apply to the school, you must have seen there entry requirement abi. If TOEFL/IELTS is a requirement for non EU students, there is nothing like waiver. Get your fact correct

There is. They waive TOEFL for almost all graduate students and some undergrads from Nigeria in US schools. They also waive GRE in some MS programs but it's compulsory for PhD in all schools.

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Dre19: 2:43pm On Nov 08, 2013
oneangle: My. Legs re shaking- visa lottery cancelled now GRE nd Toefl.
What is chasing you from your fathers land?

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 2:43pm On Nov 08, 2013
akereconfi:

You're wrong. I've processed school admission for people and in some cases, the toefl was waived despite been stated on the school's website.

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Ruchidera(f): 2:45pm On Nov 08, 2013
some1:
For me, I think they have found out the runs that take place in our various test centers.
You're just speculating sad
They should tell us the reason for Nigeria's suspenion.

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by akereconfi: 2:46pm On Nov 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're wrong. I've processed school admission for people and in some cases, the toefl was waived despite been stated on the school's website.

I know Manchester, Southampton and some other schools in the UK don't require IELTS or TOEFL from Nigerian students but if before you applied through UCAS, and they specified a band score for IELTS or TOEFL..............there is no Waiver. Most US schools admit without TOEFL

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by victorv12(m): 2:48pm On Nov 08, 2013
It seems like these westerners doesn't want Nigerians again in their country. We scare them! Thesame in India, Ghana, China, South Africa, Kenya and the UK. If they can suspend these Two exams, and at thesame time, the US Visa lottery, we should all be at alert! Something terrible is about to happen in this country. The signals are too glaring. Not long ago, the British goverment nearly imposed a 3000 pound visa bond on us. Our sensless rulers should wakeup from their slumber. Something terrible is being planned by the imperialist and the colonialist. It seems like they want us to die in our ignorance! Intellectual terrorism is more dangerous than the physical warfare.

3 Likes

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by sCun: 2:48pm On Nov 08, 2013
Does this affect IT certification exams too?
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by solomon111(m): 2:49pm On Nov 08, 2013
ziccoit: The same way Nigeria with her enormous economy potential is exempted from payPal. USMLE is not taken in Nigeria, candidates have to travel down to Ghana.
Nigeria problem is not about the masses but the very few at the position of leadership that have "institutionalized corruption" so much that it permeates every facets of our lives. Common masses are doing well, at least U17 team members currently in Dubai are from the masses. Oduah et al are from the elites.
Corruption is a problem of the Nigerian society.
99% of Nigerians are corrupt.
I can assure you that even if we remove all those people in power and replace them with Nigerians picked at random from the larger population,the problem will still remain.
We need massive re-orientation in this country.

3 Likes

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by lobell: 2:51pm On Nov 08, 2013
Amefrica:

TOEFL/GRE wasn't scrapped because of you. You've got a good command of English Language already..

I can see his grasp of the English language is impeccable shocked shocked shocked...I'd recommend him for a waiver of both the TOEFL and GRE.

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by solomon111(m): 2:52pm On Nov 08, 2013
Those people selling "runs" for waec and neco will also turn around and complain about corruption in the country.
Who the fucck are we deceiving?

2 Likes

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by bishop4APC: 2:56pm On Nov 08, 2013
Nigerians had to pay 3000pds before entering UK
Nigerians can no longer play US visa lottery
ETS also closed down gre and toefl centers in nigeria
Nigerian was sentenced in to life imprisoment for fake moneyin france
Nigerian clerics involved in homosexual in Germany
Nigerian this Nigerian that under the government of zoologist....

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by solomon111(m): 2:59pm On Nov 08, 2013
bishop4APC: Nigerians had to pay 3000pds before entering UK
Nigerians can no longer play US visa lottery
ETS also closed down gre and toefl centers in nigeria
Nigerian was sentenced in to life imprisoment for fake moneyin france
Nigerian clerics involved in homosexual in Germany
Nigerian this Nigerian that under the government of zoologist....

Shut up.
Corruption has been Nigeria's problem right from independence.
Buhari came,met corruption and left the corruption without dealing with it.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by bishop4APC: 3:00pm On Nov 08, 2013
solomon111: Corruption is a problem of the Nigerian society.
99% of Nigerians are corrupt.
I can assure you that even if we remove all those people in power and replace them with Nigerians picked at random from the larger population,the problem will still remain.
We need massive re-orientation in this country.
Massive re-orientation can be achieved when we give him * buhari* a chance to weep out the spirit of corruption in us.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 08, 2013
lobell:

I can see his grasp of the English language is impeccable shocked shocked shocked...I'd recommend him for a waiver of both the TOEFL and GRE.

You wicked no be small. grin grin

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Chinwem(f): 3:07pm On Nov 08, 2013
What about PLAB?? ??

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by bishop4APC: 3:09pm On Nov 08, 2013
solomon111: Shut up.
Corruption has been Nigeria's problem right from independence.
Buhari came,met corruption and left the corruption without dealing with it.
Solomon lar! Na fight?

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by MAYOWAAK: 3:09pm On Nov 08, 2013
bigheart2013: Poor Kids, sorry! The price of coming from a corrupt nation. However, I never had to write TOEFL when I did my post-graduate in USA. The admission office of the Uni insisted, but I went to the Dean's office and argued it out that Nigeria is an English-speaking country. I was very courteous, never raised my voice but remained adamant and passionate. During the course of my discussions she was paying attention to my use of English Language. At the end she agreed with me that I didn't need it, and sent email to the admissions officer to allow me register. Maybe I was lucky. But sometime if you can prove yourself USA administrators are very hands-on & believe in merit. You just need to prove yourself.

Well, with corruption everyone pays dearly. Another reason why you young Nigerians must stop cheering corruption and wealthy criminals. They are wasting your future, while you applaud them.

I just cant shake it off my mind that Nigeria is exactly the way the majority of Nigerians want it to be, right now. I have turned it over in my mind time and again and I can clearly see that Nigerians do not innately believe in equality of man or in fair distribution of wealth. Somehow, we are opportunistic in our outlook on life and believe more in stratification, in a social echelon based not on contribution or achievement, but on privileges obtained by almost any means at all. We love a setting where hard work does not necessarily guarantee wealth but where mysterious luck ('favour') intercept the course of things and the unpredictable hands of something called destiny comes to bring sudden, unheard of riches. And it is interesting how this outlook on life has been adopted and incorporated into our standard religious liturgies. Corruption saw this weakness in our world view and snugly wriggled in.

Our society believe there are masters and there are slaves by sine divine arrangement, there are 'heads' that are destined to be great and those bound to be base. These beliefs have no logical, historical, spiritual or humane basis but a synthesis of our selfish attitude and a will to deny others by reducing their rights to mere privileges. Our ancient religions taught this and people were enjoined to court the gods in whose hands is the power to bestow wealth. Fetish practices up to the extent of human sacrifice are still the order of the day in our society all in a bid to supernaturally and unfairly gain mileage over competitors, knowing full well that such advantage could not be secured legally or in good conscience. That same mindset of winning at terrible costs to everyone else has been transplanted into our version of modern faiths and modified into saccharine-coated doctrines, paws of the devouring lions of cruel opportunism in the velvety glows of fine Sunday morning religion.

In all, the average Nigerian is not really against corruption, he is only pissed off that he is not the one who has a chance at the public treasury. Which also explains why he is longsuffering with the problem of corruption and why it is hard to expect a revolution in Nigeria: the people generally do not want the fall of the system. Why destroy a thing that promises such sudden, stupendous wealth when, wish some more patient, it can someday be your turn, even you!

12 Likes

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by theripper3: 3:10pm On Nov 08, 2013
The Nigerian denizen is a reflection of its leaders. Corrupt, inept and fraudulent.

What else will be taken from us?
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 08, 2013
Look at the bright side. US admission will be easier to get. worst case you will write the exam once you get to america.

It is a win win for Visa agents like us cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 08, 2013
the_ripper3:

Not entirely true AFAM, some schools insist u get a minimum score in TOEFL for graduate or teaching assistantships. Some might waive it too if u have a stellar GRE score. So all join the complete package. E dey needful
True. Some uni's in the US and Canada don't care if the Queen of England is your aunty or grandmother. They would still want to see your English test result.

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by solomon111(m): 3:19pm On Nov 08, 2013
Amefrica:

You wicked no be small. grin grin
I am pissed.
This is a problem that is beyond political affiliations.
It's a fundamental and systemic malaise.
Most of these old men in our politics had the chance and rare priviledge to kill corruption in its infancy decades ago,and they didn't.
Now it has become a hydra-headed monster snuffing the life out of our dear country.
I believe God will ask all of us what we've done with the destiny of this potentially great country.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by adexsimply(m): 3:19pm On Nov 08, 2013
victorv12: It seems like these westerners doesn't want Nigerians again in their country. We scare them! Thesame in India, Ghana, China, South Africa, Kenya and the UK. If they can suspend these Two exams, and at thesame time, the US Visa lottery, we should all be at alert! Something terrible is about to happen in this country. The signals are too glaring. Not long ago, the British goverment nearly imposed a 3000 pound visa bond on us. Our sensless rulers should wakeup from their slumber. Something terrible is being planned by the imperialist and the colonialist. It seems like they want us to die in our ignorance! Intellectual terrorism is more dangerous that the physical warfare.
Maybe they are giving us the opportunity to develop our country??

@post, this is just... sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Kinds Of Student I Don't Like As Rooomate / Can You Solve These Quantitative Aptitude Questions? / BREAKING: Fashola Orders Reversal Of LASU Fees To Old Charges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.