Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. (639658 Views)

Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Lists Of 371 Tribes In Nigeria, Which One Is Yours? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Wizdray: 3:21pm On Nov 09, 2013
Nigerian movie: What of iya Bambo?
Baba oloriburuku?
iya alamala?
Baba oloshi?
iya oloti?
omo elemu?
I hear these names always
Lmao! You heard th0se names in m0vie just like ur m0niker

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Gbadsman(m): 3:23pm On Nov 09, 2013
OP, thanks for this compilation. I have a proposal for you! We can work together to monetise this. send a PM to me with your emails.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Wizdray: 3:23pm On Nov 09, 2013
Oluwadamilare - God Exonerates/Acquits me. Dont knw d mini tho bt gonna check my dico wen i get h0me
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Mintayo(m): 3:24pm On Nov 09, 2013
freestuv: Awww!!! You omitted my name cryAwww!!! You omitted my name 'Abisoye'
oops,sorry abt that dear[b]Abisoye=Born into wealth/honour,crowncheesy[/b].
Front page,Wow,dancing...cheesy
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by boniflex(m): 3:25pm On Nov 09, 2013
geeez:

Ojukwu means face of death in Yoruba

Igbo means grass in Yoruba

Better now?
obasanjo means full of ugliness grin

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by toluxa1(m): 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2013
My name no dey ooo, Tolulade - The crown belongs to God. (Very rare name among the Tolus)
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Mickey7(m): 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2013
Blackheritage: I am proud my name and culture.... Its really a black heritage.

Upon all d years of colonianism, 90% of yorubas still maintain their status quo (names) and not name there wards in oyinbo names like some other tribes of dis country. Infact, I make jest of some of youruba friends that bears williams, George, Salvage n rest... I tell them that them grand papas na oyinbo slaves, them oyinbo give new name
wts wrong with bearing an english name illiterate
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by GSKing: 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2013
geeez:

Ojukwu means face of death in Yoruba

Igbo means grass in Yoruba

Better now?
No!

OLANIYI is a Yoruba name, but in my language it means = it spoilt, it went to ruin or it dilapidated
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia1: 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2013
Was this list compiled from facebook?

I saw something that made me wonder if it was.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by isalegan2: 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2013
dimples*:
I asked som1 to give me a yoruba name, he said itunu!

I know it means somtyn about peace! But it sounds like a curse word to me.

E.g look at this girl, itunu like you embarassed

Pls I need a sweeter name,ejo

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy

How about Morenikeji? Your friends can call you Nike, or Nikky or Renny (Rihanna). cheesy wink

It means, I have found a friend. Or, I have found my better half. Or, more contemporarily, "You complete me!" grin

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Mintayo(m): 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2013
Nicepoker: op are you working in a maternity home?
:/
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by boniflex(m): 3:27pm On Nov 09, 2013
Ms Nas:
Olohun ngbo, Ori e o pe!
what??
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by mildteddy(m): 3:27pm On Nov 09, 2013
Good Job. Must be tough tasking your memory to remember all these. You omitted Oyetade and Funmilayo though (oh I love that name, though I don't know the meaning, lol). Good Job, good Job.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 09, 2013
GSKing:
No!

OLANIYI is a Yoruba name, but in my language it means = it spoilt, it went to ruin or it dilapidated
grin grin grin grin IGBOS are MEAN! grin

#TeamGOM
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by wengerjay(m): 3:28pm On Nov 09, 2013
@OP,what about these names;
Aina
Ojo
Ajayi
Ige
Ilori
Alaba
Idowu

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by mykh01(m): 3:29pm On Nov 09, 2013
i love dis, am a proud yoruba man.our ideology is d best an african man can posses.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by boniflex(m): 3:29pm On Nov 09, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
Yipee! I saw my name -o∂υηaчo™

Please someone should tell me the meaning of my surname "Ikuborije."
in my language it means tohtoh come journey

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 09, 2013
boniflex: obasanjo means full of ugliness grin
*faints*

grin

#TeamGOM
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by lirusehn(m): 3:30pm On Nov 09, 2013
Ms Nas:
Your Nemesis wink
nemesis?? As in?
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Mintayo(m): 3:31pm On Nov 09, 2013
Guys pls this thread was not created to cause Tribal wars o,we are all ONE,i just want ppl to see the beauty in naming their children indigenous names instead of the usual 'English' names...biko!wink

2 Likes

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by kola639: 3:32pm On Nov 09, 2013
lol my name 'KOLA' or in full 'KOLAWOLE' is not on the list.

But i dont worry cos my name is still d most popular Yoruba name. Dont argue wit me. Just go thru ur textbooks, movies, novels, story books etc. Kudos to d person who copied & pasted these names!

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 3:32pm On Nov 09, 2013
wengerjay: @OP,what about these names;
Aina
Ojo
Ajayi
Ige
Ilori
Alaba
Idowu
These are Igbo names undecided

#TeamGOM
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 3:33pm On Nov 09, 2013
boniflex: in my language it means tohtoh come journey
You are wucked! grin

#TeamGOM
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Larrey(f): 3:34pm On Nov 09, 2013
omolara -children are family smiley grin
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:34pm On Nov 09, 2013
tpia@:

Calm down, the list is not a comprehensive one, just a compilation from the op and his or her crew.

Common[b] yoruba names like balogun were also left out.[/b]

Obasanjo sef no dey there.

EXACTLY MY POINT!

THE OP IS BIASED!

ANY NAMES WHICH HAVE TO DO WITH YORUBA RELIGION WAS LEFT OUT! AND THOSE NAMES ARE VERY COMMON ONES!

STOP BEHAVING OTHERWISE TPIA! WE KNOW YOU ARE A XTIAN AGENT WHO LIKE TO KISS OYINBO NYASH!

I mean, whats the point of all this emancipation of names when you cant change your mentality.

I do not respect people like this OP. ALL double standard , 2-faced agents.

first chnge your mentality. then talk big things. angry

2 Likes

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by lirusehn(m): 3:34pm On Nov 09, 2013
Amefrica:

The most civilized, educated and down-to-earth people..
hearing dis 4 d ist tym. Neva knew we have qualities as such atttributed 2 any of d tribes in Nigeria.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 3:34pm On Nov 09, 2013
what about AYENI...wht's d meaning?
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Mintayo(m): 3:36pm On Nov 09, 2013
Aina
Ojo
Ajayi
Ige
Ilori
Alaba
Idowu
these are names given to 'special' people,e.g Idowu is given to a child that comes after a twin.
Alaba: a child that comes after Idowu.
Ojo: i think a child that comes with a supposed 'six ' finger, etc and etc...cheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 09, 2013
What is the full name of Mukina first? grin

#TeamGOM
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by simdam500(m): 3:37pm On Nov 09, 2013
lirusehn: who ar d YORUBAs ?

The richest People in TOWN
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by lirusehn(m): 3:38pm On Nov 09, 2013
toluxa1: My name no dey ooo, Tolulade - The crown belongs to God. (Very rare name among the Tolus)
Olu means God huh?
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Idowuogbo(f): 3:38pm On Nov 09, 2013
Aina
Ojo
Ajayi
Ige
Ilori
Alaba
Idowu
U called? cheesy

Idowu= Esu leyin ibeji wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.