Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,467 members, 7,854,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 10:02 AM

The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years (13755 Views)

How To Determine The Age Of A Car Tire (Photos) / How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? / What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by Justicemy: 6:37pm On Nov 06, 2013
I've been using mine 4 six years now, yet it's still okay
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by ronnyfam(f): 6:38pm On Nov 06, 2013
anytexy: how do I know the expiring date and how do I destroy it. Op Answer please!

Minus 4yrs from the manufacturing date.
Next time you are buying your tyre,make sure you buy recently manufactured tyre,avoid 1yr or 2yrs old tyre as it's closer to expiring date
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by ayztech(f): 6:38pm On Nov 06, 2013
uzeba: naija road whereby u cant douge pothole, but u choose the one to enter...

lol
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by Okijajuju1(m): 6:44pm On Nov 06, 2013
Especially on Nigerian roads.

I drove my car from PH to lagos and now my tires (front) look like someone used a knife and jaggedly cut it. Sad part is that these tyres are barely 2 years old. Now i have to fork out over 100k to change all 4 as i have swapped them (front to back) after the first year..

Ask for cutting up tyres, thats imposiible, however i understand what the article was trying to achieve as some Nigerian auto dealers have started re grooving tyres to sell as second hand to naive buyers.

Also buy known and trusted brands from known and trustworthy dealers that have few imitations as some people have had their brand new tyres explode before due to fake and substandard tyres. And note that some dealers import tyres that have had their expiration dates changed.
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by Aderupoko2: 6:45pm On Nov 06, 2013
@KA24DETT, thank you for letting us know you stay in Canada. We clap for you.

1 Like

Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by bouncino(m): 6:45pm On Nov 06, 2013
KA24DETT:

Stop posting wrong information. Is this information based on manufacturer date or based on when u bought it.
In US and canada. All tires are required DOT number which shows the week and year of manufacture e.g ( 35-12). It is advisable not to buy or use tires that are more than 6 years from the date of manufacture. This increases the risk of tire failure and disintegration.
About alignment , Where did you pull the 6 months crap from? .
There is no way you can cut a steel belted tire into pieces. Here in canada, no one cuts their tires. You dispose of it properly. Try cutting a run flat tire.
How did this make front page? The mods should do a better job and stop spreading misinformation.

This is more important than what Tonte is wearing. It is good to educate people on the importance of the safety and otherwise of fit for purpose tires.
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by CircleOfWilis: 6:51pm On Nov 06, 2013
chibabe3: .................. NAIJA can do anything for money.
any country can do anytin for money

1 Like

Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by Chinwem(f): 6:54pm On Nov 06, 2013
Is it me or this is the new spelling of tyre?

And no I m not an English professor, just curious undecided

1 Like

Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by CircleOfWilis: 6:58pm On Nov 06, 2013
Chinwem: Is it me or this is the new spelling of tyre?

tire=american, tyre=british

2 Likes

Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by Nobody: 7:00pm On Nov 06, 2013
^^^ Chinwe, tyre and tire are both correct spellings. Canada and The Americas spell it as "tire", which is as correct as the British spelling "tyre".

1 Like

Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by oladapoa1(m): 7:00pm On Nov 06, 2013
the manufacturing date of the tire is actually inscribed on it. Buts its wk/year insted of mnth/year
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by bencorie(m): 7:01pm On Nov 06, 2013
To know if ur tyre has expired. Look for an engraved 4 digit numbers. Eg (4011) , 40 represents 40wks while 11 represents Year. It simply means that the tyre was manufactured in the 40th week of the Year 2011.

1 Like

Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by pobosky20(m): 7:04pm On Nov 06, 2013
Hmm,that means my brand new spare tyre will last 8yrs because its yet to b used(since march 2013)
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by Chinwem(f): 7:09pm On Nov 06, 2013
Thanks guys
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by Ask4bigneyo(m): 7:18pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jez passing bye...
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by femi4: 7:28pm On Nov 06, 2013
devigblegble: Pls nl I need help, I have a Audi A6 2005 model, my wheel is locked and the gear won't move, I've tried all I could do to unlock the wheel, called some mechanics they couldn't make it move too, I need ur help on what to do

Note op I'm sorry for the interruption I'm just pissed off now
Hit the four discs with hammer
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by vislabraye(m): 7:33pm On Nov 06, 2013
Lovetinz: Cut the the tire up with what?
(tires are not cut-friendly, especially with nylon and steel liners inside them)

Destroy the pieces of cut-up tire, how?

U have to destroy so someone else won't sell it to you.
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by anytexy: 7:41pm On Nov 06, 2013
bencorie: To know if ur tyre has expired. Look for an engraved 4 digit numbers. Eg (4011) , 40 represents 40wks while 11 represents Year. It simply means that the tyre was manufactured in the 40th week of the Year 2011.
Ben, you are a good teacher ok. Thanks a lot. Am now now informed and not deformed.
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by Nobody: 7:44pm On Nov 06, 2013
Chinwem: Is it me or this is the new spelling of tyre?

all this local girls sef

1 Like

Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by Mubby4luv(m): 8:00pm On Nov 06, 2013
Ma tire digits reads 2801 which means 28th week ov 2001 buh dey look new and their threads are in shape. As a matter ov fact I bought complete set ov tires a year ago wen I saw the expiring date buh had to change back to ma old ones Cos dey new ones got worn out lyk I ve been using them since I waz born. #God go protect me and ma expired tire

2 Likes

Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by abbeymighty(m): 8:06pm On Nov 06, 2013
anytexy: how do I know the expiring date and how do I destroy it. Op Answer please!
check the side of tyre there is 4digit in s circle, d first 2 is d weeks of manufactured in the yr while d last 2 is d yr of manufactured. example 1213 this means 12th week in 2013 ie last week in march 2013. now it will expire 4yrs after that date.
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by PehaKaso: 8:14pm On Nov 06, 2013
Pls wen do we start countin? Is is 4rm d date of manufacture or d day we hit d road wit d tires? shockedshocked
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by bransye: 8:17pm On Nov 06, 2013
Do you need a realiable investment that is reliable and one that will give you peace of mind? check .. m c d a v e i n
ve s t (dot) c o m
fufill your dreams
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by Mubby4luv(m): 8:17pm On Nov 06, 2013
PehaKaso: Pls wen do we start countin? Is is 4rm d date of manufacture or d day we hit d road wit d tires? shockedshocked
Date of manufacture ov cause.
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by dieold: 8:23pm On Nov 06, 2013
i rode tire at a tender age. If the owner of dat tire had destroyed it, i wonder what would have been my fate then. BTW, We need tires to burn those robbers that disturbs the peace of the society. #TEAM DON'T DESTROY UR TIRES#

2 Likes

Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by gospel11: 8:38pm On Nov 06, 2013
Mubby4luv: Ma tire digits reads 2801 which means 28th week ov 2001 buh dey look new and their threads are in shape. As a matter ov fact I bought complete set ov tires a year ago wen I saw the expiring date buh had to change back to ma old ones Cos dey new ones got worn out lyk I ve been using them since I waz born. #God go protect me and ma expired tire

Ignorance!
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by gospel11: 8:42pm On Nov 06, 2013
Mubby4luv: Ma tire digits reads 2801 which means 28th week ov 2001 buh dey look new and their threads are in shape. As a matter ov fact I bought complete set ov tires a year ago wen I saw the expiring date buh had to change back to ma old ones Cos dey new ones got worn out lyk I ve been using them since I waz born. #God go protect me and ma expired tire

Ignorance!

Ignorance!

Ignorance! Plsss Bro.. BRING OUT MONEY AND CHANGE THOSE TIRES BEFORE THEY WILL CHANGE YOU. THNKS
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by Nobody: 8:51pm On Nov 06, 2013
ceysaga: Informative. Not everyone knows that a car deserves attention just like humans do. They regular checkup to remain at optimum condition. I learnt that when I got my car. The better I treated it, the better it perfoms and never disappoints me

Oh, you meant our car?
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by Mubby4luv(m): 9:07pm On Nov 06, 2013
gospel11:

Ignorance!

Ignorance!

Ignorance! Plsss Bro.. BRING OUT MONEY AND CHANGE THOSE TIRES BEFORE THEY WILL CHANGE YOU. THNKS

Tanks man, am thinking January by gods grace. Ground no level nw
Re: The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years by klas(m): 9:14pm On Nov 06, 2013
Siena: ^^^ Chinwe, tyre and tire are both correct spellings. Canada and The Americas spell it as "tire", which is as correct as the British spelling "tyre".

Is Nigerian spelling -"taya" not acceptable?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Warning: Please Check Your Fire Extinguisher, You May Be Shocked It Is Empty / Why Don't Passengers At The Back Seat Use Seatbelts? / 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.