Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,537 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

E-learning Folks In Nigeria & Abroad: Let Add Value To Nigeria Education. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / E-learning Folks In Nigeria & Abroad: Let Add Value To Nigeria Education. (867 Views)

17 Things Covenant University Folks Can Easily Relate With (photos) / Always Add Value To Yourself / Nursing/medicine Study Here In Nigeria & Abroad: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

E-learning Folks In Nigeria & Abroad: Let Add Value To Nigeria Education. by showemimoade: 9:06am On Nov 07, 2013
Hi Nairalanders,

I'm kinda new here but I'll love to share something with you guys.

For the benefits of the Nairalanders out there who do not understand what e-learning is? I will start by giving a brief description of what is e-learning and highlight the benefits of e-learning and mention some samples of e-learning innovations in Nigeria. However, the tenet of this write-up is to invite Nairalanders who are interested in e-learning or who wants to learn about e-learning and apply the solutions to solve Nigeria Educational Problems.

What is e-learning?
From Wikipedia "E-learning refers to the use of electronic media and information and communication technologies (ICT) in education. E-learning is broadly inclusive of all forms of educational technology in learning and teaching. E-learning is inclusive of, and is broadly synonymous with multimedia learning, technology-enhanced learning (TEL), computer-based instruction (CBI), computer-based training (CBT), computer-assisted instruction or computer-aided instruction (CAI), internet-based training (IBT), web-based training (WBT), online education, virtual education, virtual learning environments (VLE) (which are also called learning platforms), m-learning, and digital educational collaboration. These alternative names emphasize a particular aspect, component or delivery method."

From this definition e-learning is electronic learning, in which the learner uses a computer to learn a task, skill, or process. It is also referred to as computer-based training, web-based training, and online learning.

I will not be discussing different types of e-learning today. Let look at the benefits of e-learning, e-learning provides a lot of benefits in today technology driven society, e-learning provides a platform to integrate information communication technology to educational systems. Some of the benefits of e-learning includes: Lower costs, Faster delivery, More effective learning and Lower environmental impact. In other words, the benefits of e-learning are:

e-Learning is student centered. The learner is the core of any e-Learning system. Materials and activities are designed with the needs and interests of the learner in mind. Students assume control of their learning experience and use it to suit their own specific needs.

e-Learning is self-directed and self-paced. [/b]Learners control the amount of time they spend on any particular topic. This allows learners to spend additional time on difficult items before moving on or to skip material they already understand. This “individualized” approach usually allows learners to complete their education and training faster than in traditional courses.

[b]e-Learning is interactive and hands-on.
The use of a variety of multimedia in e-Learning increases student involvement and reinforces the learning experience. This leads to increased retention and a stronger grasp of the subject at hand.
e-Learning is flexible. Learning can take place anytime and anywhere, as long as the necessary equipment is accessible. The logistics and expense of face-to-face education and training can be extremely limiting when students are separated by distance. e-Learning also allows physically or otherwise challenged students to more fully participate.

e-Learning provides consistent and effective training. All of the target learners can participate simultaneously and receive the same information, reducing the variability introduced through multiple sessions in different locations.

What are examples of e-learning in Nigeria?

Brainfriendonline (brainfriendonline.com)
Opon Ipon by Osun State Government (opon-imo.com)
Efiko: an android app (www.efiko.com.ng)
Okadabooks an android app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.okadabooks)
Jamb Tutor an android app (http://www.appbrain.com/app/jamb-tutor/air.com.JambTutor)

let just mention few here, these examples are just not full representations of what e-learning can do. However, the examples are samples of e-learning technology.

So, if you are interested in e-learning let discuss, how to apply this technology to solve Nigeria educational problems. Before I close this write, I will like to share a demo I personally created for a friend recently.

check here http://studentsbuddy.2enigeria.com/DemoTwo/story.html

(1) (Reply)

Kano State University Of Science And Technology Post Ume Date!! / Please Guys...help ME!!! / Student’s Tips To Saving Money On Campus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.