Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Please Nairalander Especially The Yorubas, I'm Trying To Find A Word - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Please Nairalander Especially The Yorubas, I'm Trying To Find A Word (606 Views)

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... / Why Don't Most Nigerian Men Especially The Igbos See Marriage As An Achievement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Nairalander Especially The Yorubas, I'm Trying To Find A Word by barezi893: 10:47pm On Nov 07, 2013
Please nairalander especially the Yorubas in this room i'm trying to find out how to translate some english word to yoruba language,please help me translate these:

To yoruba: Are you looking for a hotel or an eatery?
Re: Please Nairalander Especially The Yorubas, I'm Trying To Find A Word by barezi893: 1:16am On Nov 08, 2013
Nairalanders pls I need your help on this
Re: Please Nairalander Especially The Yorubas, I'm Trying To Find A Word by ladionline: 1:34am On Nov 08, 2013
Here is it: Se ile-itura ni e nwa ni, 'abi ile-ounje?

1 Like

Re: Please Nairalander Especially The Yorubas, I'm Trying To Find A Word by barezi893: 6:47am On Nov 08, 2013
Thanks a mil
Re: Please Nairalander Especially The Yorubas, I'm Trying To Find A Word by barezi893: 7:05am On Nov 08, 2013
@ Ladionline Someone said this means Are u looking 4 a toilet or a restaurant?
Re: Please Nairalander Especially The Yorubas, I'm Trying To Find A Word by ladionline: 11:08am On Nov 08, 2013
barezi893: @ Ladionline Someone said this means Are u looking 4 a toilet or a restaurant?
Nope, Itura is comfort, so ile itura is roughly saying 'comfort zone' or Hospitality centre. On the other hand, toilet is 'yara igbon-se' that is the 'room for issuance of press' Igbon is like ife, mo fe lo su, can be express euphemistically as igbe ngbon mi. igbe had once been euphemism as well, since 'iyagbe means 'branching off to bush' the true word for 'poopoo' is 'isu' just like issue, where it means outflow of subtance. another variant is imi, meaning breathing or shaking when considering this has to do with igbon. well hope its not much ado about shit to you? to me here is interplay of linguistics lexis. Want to do Lexicography? Its a deep thing, though, but it's only the deep that calls to the deep.
Re: Please Nairalander Especially The Yorubas, I'm Trying To Find A Word by barezi893: 1:03pm On Nov 08, 2013
Ok I understand now

(1) (Reply)

Calabar Carnival 2013 / Friday The 13th / White Man With Naija Coat Of Arms, Proud To Be Naija As Much As We Do!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.