Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,075 members, 7,818,217 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award (21521 Views)

Enyeama, Musa Shortlisted For African Footballer Of The Year Award / Asisat Oshoala Nominated For BBC world Footballer Of The Year / Vote For Vincent Enyeama As BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by naijanoni(m): 9:07am On Nov 12, 2013
nedu2000: ur a nigerian so your support for mikel obi is quite predictable,patriotic and in some ways honorable,that doesn't take away the fact that mikel is like a monkey who's more/less ugly but is loved by ony his mother grin,this 'mikel' argument is into its 4th page solely because nairaland is a nigerian site & mikel equally happens 2 b a nigerian as well.....mikel's recognition isn't beyond the shores/lips of nigeria/nigerians only,he's an average player,toure is better than him in everyway...passing,shooting,tackling,mobility,please can someone tell me who made it to the FIFA ballon'dor 23-man list & who didnt?
Yaya toure did.....mikel didn't

P.S. : before you guys misunderstand me & call me racist,I meant d pidgin adage "monkey ugly but him mama like am" in reference to mikel & wasn't reference to him as a money
And did anybody say mikel is better than yaya ?
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by elektra80: 9:10am On Nov 12, 2013
emma_best2000: NIG votes will be divided for two guys while all CIV votes will goes to one guy Yaya may win the award

You are so right. Same thing happened in BBA the chase, I knew no Nigerian would win it when 2 Nigerians made it to the top 5. Votes will be divided into 2.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by striker9(m): 9:32am On Nov 12, 2013
nedu2000: ur a nigerian so your support for mikel obi is quite predictable,patriotic and in some ways honorable,that doesn't take away the fact that mikel is like a monkey who's more/less ugly but is loved by ony his mother grin,this 'mikel' argument is into its 4th page solely because nairaland is a nigerian site & mikel equally happens 2 b a nigerian as well.....mikel's recognition isn't beyond the shores/lips of nigeria/nigerians only,he's an average player,toure is better than him in everyway...passing,shooting,tackling,mobility,please can someone tell me who made it to the FIFA ballon'dor 23-man list & who didnt?
Yaya toure did.....mikel didn't

P.S. : before you guys misunderstand me & call me racist,I meant d pidgin adage "monkey ugly but him mama like am" in reference to mikel & wasn't reference to him as a money
Even if Mikel is not a Nigerian,its obvious you will never see anything positive to say about him,you kept praising Yaya like he doesn't have his own bad day.Yaya is better than Mikel but please,Mikel has really tried for but country and club side,which eventually won him 2 trophies in the last one year.You can say his a bench warmer,but we all know what he can do when given chance to play,even mata has warm the bench more than Mikel this season and I think its all boils down to coach pattern and selection.Coming down to national level,Yaya has been poo compared to Mikel.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by babyboy3(m): 10:00am On Nov 12, 2013
Coming down to national level,Yaya has been poo compared to Mikel.

Coming down to National level, Messi has been poo compared to Suarez, C Ronaldo has been poo compared to Pedro, Torres or Busquet
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by striker9(m): 10:04am On Nov 12, 2013
baby-boy:

Coming down to National level, Messi has been poo compared to Suarez, C Ronaldo has been poo compared to Pedro, Torres or Busquet

Your call,I'm just stating the obvious between Yaya and Mikel.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by elektra80: 10:13am On Nov 12, 2013
I think we all already know who the deserved winner is, sentiments apart. If some Nigerians can agree that Yaya Toure is the deserved winner then no doubt he should win it. If u ask 10 Nigerians who should win, 6 would probably say Mikel and 2 would say Moses and 2 Yaya. That is a good point for Yaya considering its Nigeria. Now go outside Nigeria, Africa this time around and ask 10 people.. 7 would probably pick Yaya Toure and Mikel and Moses would share 3 votes. Now go out of Africa and to the rest of the world, ask 10 people and all 10 would pick Yaya Toure.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by babyboy3(m): 10:17am On Nov 12, 2013
elektra80: I think we all already know who the deserved winner is, sentiments apart. If some Nigerians can agree that Yaya Toure is the deserved winner then no doubt he should win it. If u ask 10 Nigerians who should win, 6 would probably say Mikel and 2 would say Moses and 2 Yaya. That is a good point for Yaya considering its Nigeria. Now go outside Nigeria, Africa this time around and ask 10 people.. 7 would probably pick Yaya Toure and Mikel and Moses would share 3 votes. Now go out of Africa and to the rest of the world, ask 10 people and all 10 would pick Yaya Toure.

Nuff Said
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by tallfish145(m): 1:30pm On Nov 12, 2013
On individual performance,I give it to yaya toure
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by naijanoni(m): 1:38pm On Nov 12, 2013
nedu2000: Its really baffling how sentimental nigerians can be,john mikel obi is an average player,И̣̣̣̥o unique skills,И̣̣̣̥o different from neil lennon in his playing days or henderson for liverpool(the former works hard),little wonder juan mata case is being sung by d press as he's on d bench & not not mikel because he's a quality player,as for the nations' cup triumph,mikel wasn't officially & unofficially the best player,like spain the super eagles won the nations' cup due to teamwork,we had И̣̣̣̥o standout player
And let me explain to u why juan mata's case is being sung out in d media.
If an english player was playing in mata's position,i can bet that the british media wont be singing out his case as loud as they doing.
Have u heard anything about jose benching luiz for months now ??.
Nothing has been said for a long time now.Why ??.Becos 2 british players Terry and cahill play in his position.
And who is competing for places with mikel in chelsea's midfield ?.
An english player lampard.
Be sincere has lampard played well dis season compared to d few times mikel has played ??.No.
And even sincere british chelsea fans agree with this.I chat with many regularly.
Mikel's performance d few times he has played dis season has been multiple times better dan lampard.But the british media wouldnt sing out his case becos they know that mikel is a competition rival to their player in midfield.
And same goes for luiz becos Cahill and terry are playing in his position.
Majority of british people dont like mikel just becos he is mikel and not for footballing reasons.And same goes for majority of nigerian players in d EPL.Is it moses,Odemwingie,ameobi ?.
But i can tell u dat 70% of chelsea fans generally WORLDWIDE(not talking 'bout england alone) are furious that mikel isnt starting games and lampard is repeatedly chosen over him even when mikel's performance has been a lot of times better than lampard's.
These are unbias fans and not d bias british fans/media.
I belong to about 5 different chelsea blogs,consisting of chelsea fans worldwide.We discuss chelsea and majority of their views on mikel is that he shouldnt be sitting on d bench while lampard starts.I'll post a link on discussions by fans on some blogs about mikel if i can.To show u dat it isnt only nigerians that rate mikel as u're exaggerating.Even a lot of sincere british fans rate him.
In africa,outside naija too,he's got fans.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by omar22(m): 2:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
naija noni:
And let me explain to u why juan mata's case is being sung out in d media.
If an english player was playing in mata's position,i can bet that the british media wont be singing out his case as loud as they doing.
Have u heard anything about jose benching luiz for months now ??.
Nothing has been said for a long time now.Why ??.Becos 2 british players Terry and cahill play in his position.
And who is competing for places with mikel in chelsea's midfield ?.
An english player lampard.
Be sincere has lampard played well dis season compared to d few times mikel has played ??.No.
And even sincere british chelsea fans agree with this.I chat with many regularly.
Mikel's performance d few times he has played dis season has been multiple times better dan lampard.But the british media wouldnt sing out his case becos they know that mikel is a competition rival to their player in midfield.
And same goes for luiz becos Cahill and terry are playing in his position.
Majority of british people dont like mikel just becos he is mikel and not for footballing reasons.And same goes for majority of nigerian players in d EPL.Is it moses,Odemwingie,ameobi ?.
But i can tell u dat 70% of chelsea fans generally WORLDWIDE(not talking 'bout england alone) are furious that mikel isnt starting games and lampard is repeatedly chosen over him even when mikel's performance has been a lot of times better than lampard's.
These are unbias fans and not d bias british fans/media.
I belong to about 5 different chelsea blogs,consisting of chelsea fans worldwide.We discuss chelsea and majority of their views on mikel is that he shouldnt be sitting on d bench while lampard starts.I'll post a link on discussions by fans on some blogs about mikel if i can.To show u dat it isnt only nigerians that rate mikel as u're exaggerating.Even a lot of sincere british fans rate him.

Look am Chelsea fan through and through... I have sat in the stadium hearing people moan about how slow he is and he doesnt dare to take risk... Yes moving Lampard into a sitting role was wrong because Lampard cannot do Mikel's job, and yes Mikel calms the team down and it should be Mikel and Ramires playing weeking week out.

But beside that point we are comparing Mikel as a player to Yaya Toure! Yaya goes the extra lenght for his team, under Mancini when Man City is desperate for a goal they push Toure up by taken off a winger, When Chelsea is looking for a goal Mikel is taken off for another attacking player! Yaya is confortable on the ball in tight areas Mikel gave away possession against Juve last season that led to a costly goal that got fans sending him death threat on twitter.

Every manager prepares their team with Yaya toure in mind because he is a beast of a player, against Chelsea some manager will say keep a man on Mikel and he will make a mistake in a dangerous area.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by naijanoni(m): 2:13pm On Nov 12, 2013
omar22:

Look am Chelsea fan through and through... I have sat in the stadium hearing people moan about how slow he is and he doesnt dare to take risk... Yes moving Lampard into a sitting role was wrong because Lampard cannot do Mikel's job, and yes Mikel calms the team down and it should be Mikel and Ramires playing weeking week out.

But beside that point we are comparing Mikel as a player to Yaya Toure! Yaya goes the extra lenght for his team, under Mancini when Man City is desperate for a goal they push Toure up by taken off a winger, When Chelsea is looking for a goal Mikel is taken off for another attacking player! Yaya is confortable on the ball in tight areas Mikel gave away possession against Juve last season that led to a costly goal that got fans sending him death threat on twitter.

Every manager prepares their team with Yaya toure in mind because he is a beast of a player, against Chelsea some manager will say keep a man on Mikel and he will make a mistake in a dangerous area.
My comment was in reply to Nedum becos he claims dat it is only in nigeria they rate mikel.Which is totally false.
Did i say he is better than yaya or compare him with yaya ??.
You should read my comment well.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by naijanoni(m): 2:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
omar22:

And why do u keep mentioning d juve match ??.That happened since last year.And how many times in his whole career has mikel cost his team such.Very few.A lot of great midfielders have done worse even numerous times.But y'all keep exaggerating mikel's own.Dont know why.How many times do mikel give away possesion or makes mistakes compared to other midfielders ??.
If u talk about midfielders that give away possesion or make mistakes frequently,mikel would be among d least in d EPL.
I can list a lot of good players that have cost their team far worse even this year.
So why do u keep going back to d juve match dats more than a year now ??.
List 5 matches that mikel has given away possesion or made mistakes dat cost his team to conceed.
There are a lot of GREAT midfielders dat have done worse than dat even more than 10 times.
Talking about Composure,mikel is one of the most composed midfielders.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by naijanoni(m): 2:35pm On Nov 12, 2013
omar22:

And what is Yaya ?-A Box-to-Box Midfielder not a DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER !!!.

And what is Mikel ??-A STRICTLY DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER with positional discipline!!!.

Their play shouldnt even be compared.

Its just like comparing makelele with Yaya toure or comparing an attacking midfielder with a central forward.
Mikel carries out the role he is given to play effectively.
Yaya carries out the role he is given to play effectively.

The way they play shouldnt even be compared.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by Gabassin: 3:06pm On Nov 12, 2013
nedu2000: Mikel plays from d bench for chelsea....toure,pitropa are d favourites
Toure and pitropa won nothing last season naaa, bside mikel and moses won sumtin, afcon and earopa league.and dey are till doin fyn nw.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by naijanoni(m): 3:14pm On Nov 12, 2013
omar22:

When Chelsea is looking for a goal Mikel is taken off for another attacking player!
And in more than 3 matches dis season including d last game against westbrom where chelsea was desperately looking for a goal.
Who did mourinho take off ??.An attacking player
And who did he bring on ??
Mikel.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by babyboy3(m): 3:26pm On Nov 12, 2013
List 5 matches that mikel has given away possesion dat cost his team to conceed

(1) Chelsea v Juve (we all know that one)

(2) Chelsea v Apoel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVNVCbNqAQM

(3) Chelsea v Roma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNyRayEj_GY

(4) Chelsea Liverpool

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2011/11/20/chelsea-vs-liverpool-1-2-highlights-2011-goals-video-maxi-sturridge-johnson/

(5)

Those are the one i could think off at the moment
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by babyboy3(m): 3:29pm On Nov 12, 2013
naija noni:
And in more than 3 matches dis season including d last game against westbrom where chelsea was desperately looking for a goal.
Who did mourinho take off ??.An attacking player
And who did he bring on ??
Mikel.

So he came on from the BENCH
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by naijanoni(m): 3:42pm On Nov 12, 2013
baby-boy:

(1) Chelsea v Juve (we all know that one)

(2) Chelsea v Apoel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVNVCbNqAQM

(3) Chelsea v Roma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNyRayEj_GY

(4) Chelsea Liverpool

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2011/11/20/chelsea-vs-liverpool-1-2-highlights-2011-goals-video-maxi-sturridge-johnson/

(5)

Those are the one i could think off at the moment

more dan 5 i said.You listed 4.List more than five.Meanwhile I'll have to watch these videos first to confirm.
And even,making those kind of mistakes ONLY 5times in SEVEN GOOD YEARS of his chelsea career is superb.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by elektra80: 4:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
Gabassin: Toure and pitropa won nothing last season naaa, bside mikel and moses won sumtin, afcon and earopa league.and dey are till doin fyn nw.

i cant remember adebayor winning anything in 2007, or asamoah gyan winning anything in 2010. Also J. J Okocha did not win anything in 2003-2004. These are few of the players that have won the bbc African player of the year without winning any silverware. So bro, it is called player of the year and not team of the year. It is meant to pick the best individual player in the continent and not based on team. Right now the most outstanding player Africa got is yaya toure
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by naijanoni(m): 4:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
Na wa for some people oh.
Some of dem have even gone as far as lying,twisting facts and exaggerating just to make mikel look worse.
Wether they begged mikel for money and mikel didnt give dem or wether they begged mikel to take photos with them and he snubbed dem,i dont just know.I tire for some people o !.Lmao.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by striker9(m): 5:12pm On Nov 12, 2013
naija noni:
more dan 5 i said.You listed 4.List more than five.Meanwhile I'll have to watch these videos first to confirm.
And even,making those kind of mistakes ONLY 5times in SEVEN GOOD YEARS of his chelsea career is superb.
Don't mind them jare,I said it earlier,they only comment on negative stuff about Mikel.It was easy for him to dug out Mikel's mistakes and but not when his on top of his game.Terry has committed more blunder than Mikel,but no one is talking about it,Ashley,Cech,Iva,Romeu and Luiz have all made mistakes that cost chelsea,but nobody will say shit about it.Juventus beat chelsea 3 0,was it Mikel's fault too.They are always ready to attack the guy at any given opportunity,nobody is talking about the brilliant performance he had in some games for chelsea.Let them continue to attack him based on his previous mistakes,nobody his perfect,and the lad is repping anyday anytime.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by striker9(m): 5:15pm On Nov 12, 2013
naija noni:
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by striker9(m): 5:33pm On Nov 12, 2013
naija noni: Na wa for some people oh.
Some of dem have even gone as far as lying,twisting facts and exaggerating just to make mikel look worse.
Wether they begged mikel for money and mikel didnt give dem or wether they begged mikel to take photos with them and he snubbed dem,i dont just know.I tire for some people o !.Lmao.
That's Nigerians for you,I remember its used to be Alex Song vs Mikel,na wa for some people ooooooo.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by naijanoni(m): 5:47pm On Nov 12, 2013
striker9: Don't mind them jare,I said it earlier,they only comment on negative stuff about Mikel.It was easy for him to dug out Mikel's mistakes and but not when his on top of his game.Terry has committed more blunder than Mikel,but no one is talking about it,Ashley,Cech,Iva,Romeu and Luiz have all made mistakes that cost chelsea,but nobody will say shit about it.Juventus beat chelsea 3 0,was it Mikel's fault too.They are always ready to attack the guy at any given opportunity,nobody is talking about the brilliant performance he had in some games for chelsea.Let them continue to attack him based on his previous mistakes,nobody his perfect,and the lad is repping anyday anytime.
I tire 4 dem o.Hatred don blind their eyes to see d positive things.And d worst thing is dat mikel's case was only in d 1st match of d group stage against Juve dat ended in a 2-2 draw(which is not really a bad result).But Some fools are blaming him for chelsea's exit in d champions league when Chelsea still had 5 matches 2 play after dat to still qualify out of d group-stage.

Compare dat to ivanovic's double blunder in d capital one cup KNOCK-OUT STAGES,d worstest blunders i've seen in a while.Chelsea lost 2-0 becos of ivanovic and crashed out instantly 4rm d capital one cup.And yet they didnt threaten him or racially abuse him on twitter.

Or Asheley cole's double blunder against westham in d EPL.Chelsea lost 3-1 and asheley cole was d cause of d two goals chelsea conceeded.They could have as well blamed ashley cole for chelsea's failure to win d EPL last season.
David Luiz was d cause a lot of goals chelsea conceeded last season,even 4rm d midfield position.They could have as well blamed Luiz for chelsea's failure to win d EPL.
Hazard's misplaced passes twice led to chelsea conceeding on two occasions last season,One against everton(2-1) and anoda.

Even ramires too,very few chelsea regulars didnt commit blunders last season,from goal-keeper to striker.

But its only in Mikel's case that it would be different.And its only his case they would single out.

Some people are just unbelievable !!!.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by elektra80: 5:49pm On Nov 12, 2013
striker9: That's Nigerians for you,I remember its used to be Alex Song vs Mikel,na wa for some people ooooooo.

Nobody is saying Mikel is a bad player. I don't know about those analysing his mistakes, every player makes mistakes. But let's not run away from the truth here, Yaya is a better player . I wish for Mikel to win it, but if Yaya was a Nigerian and the award goes to Mikel (assuming Mikel is not a Nigerian), how would u folks feel? Mikel is a very good player, but Yaya is superior. Yaya would walk into the first 11 of any team, u can't say that for Mikel.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by safarigirl(f): 5:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
striker9: That's Nigerians for you,I remember its used to be Alex Song vs Mikel,na wa for some people ooooooo.
the thing sef tire me. I've said it, outside of West Africa, if you're not playing for Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barca or Liverpool, an Orlando Pirates player has more claim to fame than you. Those are the clubs people know, Mikel has a larger fanbase in Africa than Yaya, even Drogba would outshine him despite the fact that he hasn't been in any of those teams cuz he peaked at Chelsea. A lot of people don't care for Man City and even in Europe, Chelsea has more fans than City so if voting was on who has a larger fanbase, Mikel would TRUMP Yaya. It's only Nigerians that hate on their own, these people would rather vote a goat than Mikel, this isn't about Yaya, this is about Nigerians always bringing down their own.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by naijanoni(m): 5:59pm On Nov 12, 2013
elektra80:

Nobody is saying Mikel is a bad player. I don't know about those analysing his mistakes, every player makes mistakes. But let's not run away from the truth here, Yaya is a better player . I wish for Mikel to win it, but if Yaya was a Nigerian and the award goes to Mikel (assuming Mikel is not a Nigerian), how would u folks feel? Mikel is a very good player, but Yaya is superior. Yaya would walk into the first 11 of any team, u can't say that for Mikel.
And nobody ever said mikel is better than Yaya toure.
Yaya toure is better than Mikel.
But is that what we talkin 'bout here ?
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by naijanoni(m): 6:10pm On Nov 12, 2013
elektra80:

I wish for Mikel to win it, but if Yaya was a Nigerian and the award goes to Mikel (assuming Mikel is not a Nigerian), how would u folks feel? .
Lol.
Mikel performed far better dan Yaya in d national team side.Not talking 'bout afcon alone.I'm talking 'bout All the national team mathces played dis year.
Yaya performed far better than Mikel on club level.
They never said d award is judged based on club performance,neither did dey say d award is judged based on national team performance.
So "Who deserves d award" is arguable.
If u think it should be on who performed best at club level,First of all go and complain to BBC about d past awards before u preach about "if yaya was a nigerian" or "How will u feel":-

2012:-Who was d most outstanding player at club level??.Yaya toure.
But who won it ??.Katongo
2011:-Who was d most outstanding player at club level??.Yaya toure
Who won it ??.Andre Ayew.
2010:-Who was the most outstanding player at club level??.Samuel etoo
Who won it ??.Asamoah Gyan.
You should 1st of all go and complain 2 BBC that these players didnt deserve to win it.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by striker9(m): 6:15pm On Nov 12, 2013
elektra80:

Go through all my posts,I never for once said Mikel is better,but we need to encourage him more so that he can even get better.He has been trying so far for the national team,the least we guys could do is support him when he needs us.Essien has been on the bench all this while,yet Ghanians are still supporting him,not digging out some stewpid mistakes he made some yrs ago.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by striker9(m): 6:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
naija noni:
Lol.
Mikel performed far better dan Yaya in d national team side.Not talking 'bout afcon alone.I'm talking 'bout All the national team mathces played dis year.
They never said d award is judged based on club performance,neither did dey say d award is judged based on national team performance.
If u think it should be on who performed best at club level,First of all go and complain to BBC about d past awards before u preach about "if yaya was a nigerian" or "How will u feel":-

You should 1st of all go and complain 2 BBC that these players didnt deserve to win it.
So on point bro!
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by elektra80: 7:13pm On Nov 12, 2013
naija noni:
Lol.

Glad u realize its not only based on trophies won like most folks here believe. Most people here will tell u Mikel deserve to win it because he won AFCON. Like I said in my earlier posts, Asamoah Gyan won it in 2010 without winning any trophy for his team (club or country). Also Adebayor and Okocha won it without winning any trophy.

The BBC award normally goes in favor of a player that performs exceptionally outstanding in AFCON if the award is given in an AFCON year. Note me using the word exceptionally outstanding. But they also consider when a player is equally outstanding in top club football. This Justifies Jay Jay Okocha winning it in 2003 and 2004 (I know Nigeria came out as 3rd).

As for Kotongo, he was the captain of the Zambia national team in AFCON 2012 and he scored 2 vital goals for them, he was outstanding during the 2012 nations cup, he was named player of the tournament. I mean there was no other player that really matched him and Yaya was not that outstanding in club football like he is now. Is Mikel our outstanding player in AFCON 2013? I don't think so, it was a team effort and if I was to pick a player that was really outstanding it was Emenike.

As for Andre Ayew, he scored 13 goals for Marseile in 2010/11 season helping them to 2nd place. He then continued that form in 2011/2012 scoring 16 goals. ( U can't deny that goals win u games and when u score goals u definitely get more points).

As for Gyan, Ghana lost to Egypt in AFCON final but Gyan was the player of the tournament. He scored 3 out of Ghana's 4 goals, he carried Ghana to the final. He continued that in the world cup scoring 3 goals. (Goals really does matter). He was the player of the tournament in 2010 AFCON, so a deserved winner. He also scored 13 goals for Sunderland in 2010/11 season.

This year, Yaya didn't perform well in AFCON, but Mikel was not the player of the tournament either and he scored 0 goals. Based on club performance, Yaya scored 9 goals in 42 appearance for man city from midfield in 2011/12. This season he has already scored 7 in 14 appearance. Ok maybe its not fair to judge them by goals scored. Based on gameplay and importance to the team, Yaya murders Mikel because Yaya is a vital player in Man city (Would play in any top team) while Mikel is a squad player in Chelsea.

Now based on votes, more reason Mikel will not win it. Votes are counted based on country and Nigeria having 2 candidates will do Mikel more harm than good. Lets say in Nigeria 40% votes Mikel, 30% Moses and 20% Yaya and the remaining 10% shared by the rest, then Mikel wins Nigeria which will be counted as 1 point. Now voting in Ghana, lets say Mikel wins 30%, Moses 20%, Yaya 40%, rest 10%. Clearly Yaya wins, if Nigeria had only Mikel then Mikel would probably get 50% instead if 30. That is how the voting is done, so having 2 candidates from Nigeria is really not a good thing.
Re: Mikel And Victor Moses Nominated For BBC African Footballer Of The Year Award by elektra80: 7:15pm On Nov 12, 2013
striker9: Go through all my posts,I never for once said Mikel is better,but we need to encourage him more so that he can even get better.He has been trying so far for the national team,the least we guys could do is support him when he needs us.Essien has been on the bench all this while,yet Ghanians are still supporting him,not digging out some stewpid mistakes he made some yrs ago.

Ok bro, I support Mikel really and he has improved his game especially when playing for the national team. Now he plays with all his heart, things he didn't do in the past. I respect him for that. But if I'm a manager of a team and I have to choose one between Mikel and Yaya, I will choose Yaya without blinking.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Rivers United Best Nigerian Club In 2017, Rank Higher Than Crystal Palace, / World Cup-bound Referee, Facundo Tello Shows 10 Red Cards In Argentina Cup Final / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.