Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,471 members, 7,770,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:10 AM

FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death (10115 Views)

Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge / Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row / Nigeria, S’africa Diplomatic Row: Senators Want S’african Companies Sacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by butpro(m): 5:45pm On Nov 12, 2013
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Professor Viola Onwuliri
Federal Government has demanded an unreserved apology from the Indian authorities over the death of a Nigerian, Obodo Uzoma Simeon, and discriminatory attacks on Nigerians in the Asian nation.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Prof. Viola Onwuliri, disclosed this while answering questions from journalists at the pre-Commonwealth Head of Government Meeting press briefing in Abuja, Monday.

Tensions between Nigerians and Indians had escalated since Simeon was found dead in Goa, a popular tourist destination, in the country’s west region.

Simeon, according to reports, was stabbed to death on October 31 in Panaji, Goa State’s capital.

About 200 angry members of the Nigerian community were said to have blocked a highway while Simeon’s corpse was being taken to the hospital for a post-mortem examination.

Police reportedly brought the situation under control and registered cases of rioting, arson and damaging public property against 51 Nigerians and one Ghanaian.

Onwuliri, who emphasised that Nigeria would not tolerate any act of unruly behaviour from its citizens, however, said the conduct of Indian authorities was unacceptable.

She told journalists that the Acting Head of Mission of India in Nigeria had been summoned to her office to explain the rationale for the action.

She said, “Actually the growing violence around the countries should be a thing of worry for member states and for us in Nigeria too. We have continued to condemn violence especially against Nigerians in different states. The recent one in India is really a big one to worry about and I had summoned the acting head of Indian Mission to ask him about what happened to our citizens.

“The young man was coming back from lunch, they said there was a clash between two communities, he was not part of them but he was killed! We have also asked for unreserved apology from India, we have asked them to ensure that full-fledged investigations are carried out so that perpetrators of that act will be brought to book,” she added.

The minister said the Nigerian government would not hesitate to react appropriately if Nigerians were evicted from their homes in India.

“We have also heard that some of our citizens protested and were arrested and some were evicted from their homes. And we have also said while we are not supporting lawlessness, if Nigerians reacted because of extreme provocation, it should be so seen. And these Nigerians should be released and people should not be evicted from their homes, otherwise, that will also lead to a strain in the relations between the two countries and we will be forced to also react appropriately,” she maintained.

Onwuliri said Nigeria was determined to press on with the call for the abolition of visa regime among Commonwealth countries at this year’s  meeting starting  on Wednesday (tomorrow) in Colombo, Srilanka.

The country’s interim position is for the introduction of a pilot scheme which will facilitate visa free regime for holders of diplomatic and official passports from member countries.

Copyright PUNCH.http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-india-in-diplomatic-row-over-nigerians-death/
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by owobokiri(m): 7:32pm On Nov 12, 2013
Finally the Nigerian foreign affairs ministry comes alive..., next bust stop? China!
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by Orjioorji(f): 10:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
this is the first regime that always take action to protect Nigerians in diaspora. GEJ your leadership is divine.

24 Likes

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by butpro(m): 5:29am On Nov 13, 2013
@Orji, Obasanjo regime did same too. Meanwhile, i believe Olugbenga asiru would have done better, if he hadn't bn relieved of his duty.

1 Like

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by ChimaAgbalajob: 6:04am On Nov 13, 2013
butpro: @Orji, Obasanjo regime did same too. Meanwhile, i believe Olugbenga asiru would have done better, if he hadn't bn relieved of his duty.

Obasanjo did not do anything to protect Nigerians in diaspora. Indeed, Obasanjo sometimes acted like he was surprised to hear of it. Remember the xenophobic riots against Nigerians in South Africa when OBJ was President, and when OBJ was asked to comment, he brushed it aside like it was nothing?

I 1000% agree with you that Chief Olugbenga Ashiru would do a better job.
Perhaps because he had been a Nigerian living in diaspora for most of his life,he had experienced first hand how many foreigners Mal-treated Nigerians in their countries like a pile of shyt simply because our skin is black, while their citizens in Nigeria are treated like thin gods.

For starters, Nigeria should mandate the police to augment the overwhelming work of immigration officials to help check the papers of suspected illegal immigrants in Nigeria. Most countries of the world use their police as the first line of government officers to pick up suspected illegal immigrants and then hand them over to immigration officers for processing, because our immigration officers are too few to go after the vast numbers of illegal immigrants in Nigeria.

In India,it is the Police that will make the first arrest,then the case is transferred to the immigration department.

5 Likes

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by bloggernaija: 9:12am On Nov 13, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob:

Obasanjo did not do anything to protect Nigerians in diaspora. Indeed, Obasanjo sometimes acted like he was surprised to hear of it. Remember the xenophobic riots against Nigerians in South Africa when OBJ was President, and when OBJ was asked to comment, he brushed it aside like it was nothing?

I 1000% agree with you that Chief Olugbenga Ashiru would do a better job.
Perhaps because he had been a Nigerian living in diaspora for most of his life,he had experienced first hand how many foreigners Mal-treated Nigerians in their countries like a pile of shyt simply because our skin is black, while their citizens in Nigeria are treated like thin gods.

For starters, Nigeria should mandate the police to augment the overwhelming work of immigration officials to help check the papers of suspected illegal immigrants in Nigeria. Most countries of the world use their police as the first line of government officers to pick up suspected illegal immigrants and then hand them over to immigration officers for processing, because our immigration officers are too few to go after the vast numbers of illegal immigrants in Nigeria.

In India,it is the Police that will make the first arrest,then the case is transferred to the immigration department.

Obasanjo's diplomacy allowed a new wave of nigerians to get out of that shithole.
For that, I will be forever grateful.
I know that most of my childhood friends got out.
All are doing fine now and living the dream.
From canada,uk,USA all the way to Australia
By the way, India does not operate at Nigeria's level.
For example, there are more skilled Indian at my workplace than you find in a typical nigerian university.
They will probably play it safe because for any intelligent,well governed country(nigeria is not one),even the little of little opportunity matters.
But if it really gets down to it, Nigeria is expendable .

5 Likes

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by Vicjay1(m): 9:41am On Nov 13, 2013
operation Indians must go

1 Like

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by femogbangba: 9:45am On Nov 13, 2013
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by Lilimax(f): 9:46am On Nov 13, 2013
butpro: And these Nigerians should be released and people should not be evicted from their homes, otherwise, that will also lead to a strain in the relations between the two countries and we will be forced to also react appropriately,” she maintained.
Good one from the minister!
Seems that *Operation Indians must go* is looming undecided

5 Likes

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by joanpinkie(f): 9:46am On Nov 13, 2013
Kudos to this regime!

2 Likes

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by braine(m): 9:48am On Nov 13, 2013
And you see dem Indians living large in tussh environment and sending their kids to top schools here in Nigeria• We'll pounce on them soon• They can be as brutal as they are in their movies

1 Like

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by Fogman(m): 9:49am On Nov 13, 2013
Following....
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by iterator25: 9:50am On Nov 13, 2013
GEJ thingz
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 13, 2013
Even Americans hate them more than we do, they deserve no sympathy from us. They are a beastly people angry

1 Like

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by BrightCar: 9:54am On Nov 13, 2013
MORE OF SUCH BOLD ACTIONS FROM NAIJA GOVERNMENT
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by AreaFada2: 9:55am On Nov 13, 2013
[quote author=bloggernaija]

1 Like

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by AreaFada2: 9:56am On Nov 13, 2013
bloggernaija:

Obasanjo's diplomacy allowed a new wave of nigerians to get out of that shithole.
For example, there are more skilled Indian at my workplace than you find in a typical nigerian university.
They will probably play it safe because for any intelligent,well governed country(nigeria is not one),even the little of little opportunity matters.

Expendable yet almost 1m Indians live in Naija. Indians have always been many in Naija. Back in the day I had them as teachers, our doctors in nearby hospital etc. Naija has been extremely welcoming to them. Despite our woes as a country, we hold our own well compared to Indians. I should know because I work with them. They also acknowledge that Naija got the skills.

As for Obj, his diplomacy achieved little considering amount of time he spent gallivanting abroad. It is all on record.
It is normal for travel opportunities to increase during democracy post brutal dictatorship a la Abacha.

I and most of my friends left home around halfway through IBB's regime. Trouble travelling only began during Abacha's regime.

3 Likes

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by butpro(m): 9:57am On Nov 13, 2013
;DJoin •̸Ϟﻉ t̲̣̣̥O̶̲̥̅̊ celebrate D̶̲̥̅̊IƧ̷̜̌̋ achievement of front page after 5years  nairaland..... Playing Orlando owoh while sipping blackwood. grin
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by AlphaMaximus(m): 10:01am On Nov 13, 2013

2 Likes

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by bhidex007: 10:02am On Nov 13, 2013
An eye for an eye. Nigerians must be respected by fire by force
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by gboso1ne(m): 10:02am On Nov 13, 2013
K
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 13, 2013
bloggernaija:

What BS is this guy saying

6 Likes

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by ichidodo: 10:16am On Nov 13, 2013
Yes bring them to heel, india stand to lose so much in this battle of wills.I am beginning to be proud of being a Nigerian

1 Like

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by Nobody: 10:16am On Nov 13, 2013
ABEGIII

ichidodo: Yes bring them to heel, india stand to lose so much in this battle of wills.I am beginning to be proud of being a Nigerian

INDIA should DEPORT any nigerian found with ILLEGAL papers fast using the enugu international airport. Also anyone involved in DRUGS should be punished accordingly. Thanks

Nigerians will behave in a rubish way abroad and when they are about to be deported they will now start shouting and crying and also start running after the foreign MINISTRY. Smh.

Incase you don't know INDIA has ICBMs and NUCLEAR WEAPONS greater Influence and a LARGER POPULATION. Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by OgologoDimkpa: 10:17am On Nov 13, 2013
Alpha Maximus: RIP to the slain person. But the main question is: 'what will the FG do about it if India doesn't apologise?' That's what's so comical about this Nigerian Government, always dishing out empty warnings to their elders!!! I remember a few years back when they gave the US government a one-week 'ultimatum' to apologise for a particular derogatory comment made in the highest-grossing movie in history 'Avatar'. In the movie, a general was asked if he would survive in the new hostile planet of Pandora and he replied by saying something like : 'well I managed to survive in Nigeria so this shouldn't be any worse'. The FG should elevate this country and make it a force to be reckoned with rather than making an international ridicule of themselves!!!! If this happened in the US and the US government was hostile, would the FG attack? One nuclear bomb drop like the Hiroshima and Nagasaki disaster and Aso Rock would be blown to kingdom come!! Rubbish!! angry
So you call Indians our elders? I'm highly disappointed...
Only if your assumed threat will come to reality so as to serve as a deterrants to other
potential nations that want to mess around with us.
If nothing is done in this case, the next day you'll hear that Somalian's or
Togo are making a derogatory statements about us.

Nigeria is not a work over!

2 Likes

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by bayulll01(m): 10:18am On Nov 13, 2013
Orji o orji: this is the first regime that always take action to protect Nigerians in diaspora. GEJ your leadership is divine.
orji why are u so stuuupidd,or stupiidity is synonymous to orji,u remember orji that said
ibo ownes lagos and hes house was shut so that he can carry he's house to the dry deserted cascaded village in abia
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by OgologoDimkpa: 10:20am On Nov 13, 2013
bayulll01:
orji why are u so stuuupidd,or stupiidity is synonymous to orji,u remember orji that said ibo ownes lagos and hes house was shut so that he can carry his earth to the dry deserted cascaded village in abia
You're already tribalizing this thread.
Shame on youangry!
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by 5alive(m): 10:20am On Nov 13, 2013
Nigeria cannot handle lagos talkless of India

2 Likes

Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by ichidodo: 10:23am On Nov 13, 2013
bayulll01:
orji why are u so stuuupidd,or stupiidity is synonymous to orji,u remember orji that said
ibo ownes lagos and hes house was shut so that he can carry he's house to the dry deserted cascaded village in abia
Look at this Deepshiite Coke head, instead of tribalizing this thread, why don't you go f**k yourself?!
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by bayulll01(m): 10:24am On Nov 13, 2013
ogologodimkpa: You're already tribalizing this thread.
Shame on youangry!
are u daft dint u see or u cant decipher orji words
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 13, 2013
5alive: Nigeria cannot handle lagos talkless of India

TRUE!
Re: FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death by bayulll01(m): 10:26am On Nov 13, 2013
ichidodo: Look at this Deepshiite Coke head, instead of tribalizing this thread, why don't you go f**k yourself?!
go bleep ur mama heard u guys has no regards for elders,pathetic fooool why dont u talk to ur broda orji

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Former Aid To Peter Obi Exposes Him...you Bought Everything!!! / FG Won’t Provide Updates On Buhari’s Health, Treatment – Punch / INEC To Issue Fresh Modalities For Edo, Ondo Governorship Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.