Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,505 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport (38293 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport / Jonathan Transforms Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by skeletine(m): 3:19pm On Nov 13, 2013
sCun: Then you are one of the mediocre people the writer talked about. Simple!
Guy, You seem to lack simple comprehension skills. You also obviously are very corrupt and posses a warped mind. Kindly engage the lady in a decent argument and stop twisting logic. Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by dbride: 3:48pm On Nov 13, 2013
@ theoctopus, you trying so hard to derail this thread, trying to make it a tribal, APC PDP issue. The white, Indian, Igbo, Yoruba, Urhobo, Hausa man/woman flying in and out of MMIA has been charged a certain amount of money (embedded in the air ticket) for good services in MMIA and if bad services exist instead, then they are entitled to complain and all tax paying Nigerians equally have the right to ask questions. This has nothing to do with Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, Ibibio, Fashola; we are simply asking the people in charge to give good services for which they charged us.

With ignorant people like you, the world will never move forward. Please, I repeat, desist from showing your ignorance, stop commenting on this subject, it is way to Biiiiggggggg for you. You think, eat, walk, sleep and dream PDP, APC, TRIBE and how much gain there is in there for you!!!!!! You have ceased from being a normal human being and I am sure you have never used any airport in your life to know you have the right to question any lapses.

One advice: you even brought up the issue of separation for SS and SE. Have you ever bothered to ask questions or investigate to find out whether SS are really ready to go with SE when the chips are down? You are so naïve. Have you ever been used and dumped? This is why I say you are naïve. Think about it, if your very good SS business friend is ALWAYS for his tribe for good and for bad at your expense, would you desire to go the whole hog with him, would you truly trust him to become one with you? Your attitude now is giving you out and you may just be used and dumped.....this is a testing period and every good and bad trait is either being revealed or confirmed for future purposes. May God give you understanding of my drift because this is deep for your shallow mind. Read it over and over!

2 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by youngbilly1: 4:20pm On Nov 13, 2013
its bull shit, while i was going to south africa, the opened my bag saw some alomo telling me bullshit that i need to pay, while in front of me there's a billboard showing.." dont give bribe ". i just had to drop one alomo and they allowed me, its so disappointing...the other time i was coming back to nigeria i was wearing a leather top, on getting to the port of entry in nigeria the heat which was killing me from inside i had to pull off my clothe and walk around with my white sleeveless, no shame in that because i was so hot mehn. God have mercy...
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by haibe(m): 4:22pm On Nov 13, 2013
youngbilly1: its bull shit, while i was going to south africa, the opened my bag saw some alomo telling me bullshit that i need to pay, while in front of me there's a billboard showing.." dont give bribe ". i just had to drop one alomo and they allowed me, its so disappointing...the other time i was coming back to nigeria i was wearing a leather top, on getting to the port of entry in nigeria the heat which was killing me from inside i had to pull off my clothe and walk around with my white sleeveless, no shame in that because i was so hot mehn. God have mercy...

lol wetin u won use alomo go do sef?

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Smooyis(m): 5:03pm On Nov 13, 2013
Our leaders are indeed shameless. If they do not travel out of this country, they will not be guilty of our criticisms. But having seen better facilities in countries that are less endowered and now pretend as if all is well is the greatest deceit any leader can show to his people. Imagine, look at the road to the MMIA which is the busiest airport not only in Nigeria but West Africa. All i can say is that our leaders are indeed shameless. May God deal severely with leaders who are not ready to have a change of heart towards the development of this nation.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 13, 2013
django1:

Small girl, stop looking for trouble. Bad as e bad, ibadan still better pass everywhere for south east.

Lwkmd!
which part of SE pls?
Rodfl.
Una no get shame seriously
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 13, 2013
Ammanda :
All these airports have management
Money is been allocated annually for maintenance and upgrade but they siphon
These money and don nothing about the mess
The management of the airport should be queried

Don't mind them
Ndi ori

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by yomilike(m): 6:08pm On Nov 13, 2013
bigtt76: Hmmm ...writer get time shaaaaa! Anyway ...grabbed my seat grin let the fun begin
Who b dis one So make him no get time to talk am as e dey pain abi . Mtchewwwww
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by youngbilly1: 6:20pm On Nov 13, 2013
haibe:

lol wetin u won use alomo go do sef?

haha my brother i gotta take alomo when am going, jedi on dey there SA mehn, na so so sugar sugar full here and i gotta pleasee the women you know hehe smiley naija manpower!.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by pj5(f): 6:22pm On Nov 13, 2013
@pink, in Halifax, Canada trolleys aren't paid for. In most countries where trolleys are paid for, monies paid for it are refunded or returned if you place the trolleys back in the trolley roll where you pick them.

2 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 13, 2013
Every time they put their filthy hands inside my luggage I cringe. Who's to say they won't plant something in there?
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 6:33pm On Nov 13, 2013
The new international terminal will come on stream in 2015. I hope most parts of the current terminal would be demolished, leaving the baggage claim area-which would have additional 3 baggage carousels.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by PetroDolla2: 6:50pm On Nov 13, 2013
sCun: I have been there and it is nothing to wirte home about
it depends on what you define as 'nothing to write home about' huh? can you be more specific as to what and what did not work for you at Accra airport- that works better in Lagos? and is lagos airport anything to write home about? next time you go through Accra airport, try and remove your anti-Ghana lenses and look at things more objectively,huh?

the critical ingredients in defining an airport facility is whether facilities work or not. I can say while things may not work 100%, there is a great chance facilities work better at the Accra airport than Lagos. I go through the Accra airport regularly and see facilities work efficiently , much more than than I have seen at the Lagos airport or any other airport in your country.

I recall going through Abuja airport a few years ago, and the customs officials wanted to physically search my hand luggage. I protested and asked the head of the team why they did not have scanners. He said they had broken down and asked whether I can buy one for them. I told him I didn't mind buying one for them but thought it was a big disgrace that a country like nigeria cannot afford to replace a faulty scanner. So you see, even your own airports are nothing to write home about,huh? grin the lagos airport is like oshodi motor park cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by PetroDolla2: 6:50pm On Nov 13, 2013
sCun: I have been there and it is nothing to wirte home about
it depends on what you define as 'nothing to write home about' huh? can you be more specific as to what and what did not work for you at Accra airport- that works better in Lagos? and is lagos airport anything to write home about? next time you go through Accra airport, try and remove your anti-Ghana lenses and look at things more objectively,huh?

the critical ingredients in defining an airport facility is whether facilities work or not. I can say while things may not work 100%, there is a great chance facilities work better at the Accra airport than Lagos. I go through the Accra airport regularly and see facilities work efficiently , much more than than I have seen at the Lagos airport or any other airport in your country.

I recall going through Abuja airport a few years ago, and the customs officials wanted to physically search my hand luggage. I protested and asked the head of the team why they did not have scanners. He said they had broken down and asked whether I can buy one for them. I told him I didn't mind buying one for them but thought it was a big disgrace that a country like nigeria cannot afford to replace a faulty scanner. So you see, even your own airports are nothing to write home about,huh? grin the lagos airport is like oshodi motor park cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by youngbilly1: 7:09pm On Nov 13, 2013
It annoying but gotta add this, the gautrain station/interstate bus park in jo'burg, is far more better, beautiful and well organised than MMIA. The day i came to nigeria, before i pulled off my top at the port of entry because of the f**king heat, sweating like a chicken lol, i asked for a trolley they told me ima pay N100 or N150 i can't remember, i gave her 1000 then asked for my balance she told me, no change i was like wtf i gave you 1000 the trolley is about 150 what if i got no naira on me, when its mean to be free, she then told me, say bros you be foreigner na wetin you bring come for us we never chop night food haha smiley, i just had to leave the balance with her before heat fry me, the traffic getting out of the airport sef is another topic lol.

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by akpan123(m): 8:01pm On Nov 13, 2013
The money spent on armoured cars, if used in renovation of the airport ,would have been better.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bigfrancis21: 8:28pm On Nov 13, 2013
obailala:

The bolded statement is soo true but a lot of Nigerians are so myopic to see this.

MMIA is the only airport where I have to arrive up to 4 hours ahead of time or risk missing my flight. An airport where passengers for different flights are bundled into the same check-in queue and it always ends in chaos [b]EVERYDAY[/b]... sometimes I wonder if the airport management are kindergarten pupils because a little bit of common sense will solve this issue and not money.

The airport car park is another hell... it could take several hours just to drive out of the car park at night not ONLY because the roads within the premises are horrible but because the airport security bluntly refuses to control the traffic (I was told airport security somehow makes some money from the traffic gridlock, still can't figure out how they do that)...

Nigeria is a shame and it's obvious most of these problems require just a little bit of common sense and not money.

@Bold...yikes...that's scary. And i'll be travelling out of Nigeria next month through this same MMIA. cry I hate to think that the bolded part is what i'll pass through during my time. undecided

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/jujufilm/5331584626/[/img]

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/jujufilm/5331583584/in/set-72157626654461051[/img]

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by gbokukueba(m): 9:36pm On Nov 13, 2013
You guys have not seen anything yet... Last trip home 3 months ago I landed at bout 11 pm there was no power at the Airport there were 2 people holding torch lights 2 ends of the tunnel...
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Sike(m): 10:09pm On Nov 13, 2013
This Omojuwa guy is always on point. I just love the way he thinks.

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 13, 2013
Please, I need images to ascertain facts! I am tired of reckless retorts by many posters here. I need proofs of the realities on ground.

Thank you.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 13, 2013
Image of inside of Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos - Nigeria (MMIA) as at 2006 before the present renovation below.

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by DisGuy: 10:30pm On Nov 13, 2013
all4naija: Please, I need images to ascertain facts! I am tired of reckless retorts by many posters here. I need proofs of the realities on ground.

Thank you.

what proof, of the heat? or officials going through your luggage whilst asking you for money? or armed security personnel asking you to show your passport and tickets before going inside the airport whilst also asking you for weekend chops

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 10:34pm On Nov 13, 2013
That airport is on the poor side of management and the infrastructure is too small for a country like Nigeria. I hope something is done to put in its stead a better international airport.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=Yzi6jk1LPbU
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 10:39pm On Nov 13, 2013
Dis Guy:

what proof, of the heat? or officials going through your luggage whilst asking you for money? or armed security personnel asking you to show your passport and tickets before going inside the airport whilst also asking you for weekend chops

I need a proof to every remark about the poor condition of the environment, the poor management and practices. I would be interested also in the images of the inside and outside of the airport posted here. They say 'action speaks louder than words'.

Thank you.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 10:42pm On Nov 13, 2013
Lagos International airport images below. Very ugly! Can do with good management though.

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by DisGuy: 10:53pm On Nov 13, 2013
all4naija:

I need a proof to every remark about the poor condition of the environment, the poor management and practices. I would be interested also in the images of the inside and outside of the airport posted here. They say 'action speaks louder than words'.

Thank you.

The place is too hot and teh aircon seems to be under repair forever!! you cant get pictures for that!
Remember you can take fluid/drinks past a certain section so you are on your own

you want pictures of tout-official and non officials- I doubt Nigerian policemen will allow you take pictures of them
and there are too many of them-uniformed officials

All in all its not about physical appearance, the services provided too says a lot
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 11:08pm On Nov 13, 2013
Dis Guy:

The place is too hot and teh aircon seems to be under repair forever!! you cant get pictures for that!
Remember you can take fluid/drinks past a certain section so you are on your own

you want pictures of tout-official and non officials- I doubt Nigerian policemen will allow you take pictures of them
and there are too many of them-uniformed officials

All in all its not about physical appearance, the services provided too says a lot

I, personally, have made use of that airport for about thrice or thereabout. The management is poor but not awfully as bad as people are making it to look here. I quite agree there are things which need to be addressed at the moment, like asking for tipping at the entry point by the officials - when it is not necessarily required of anybody to pay is making the situation worst than what it actually is. The truth of the matter is that people just come here to complain without channeling their frustration to the appropriate authorities. I still think that airport is not as bad as the OP makes it to look here.

In have a very sketchy observation of the management though. That doesn't mean I am totally wrong in my observation of things. There is this idea of providing employment for those touts - which is very bad for the condition of that airport. Not until they get rid of those touts who are allowed to roam the airport on the ground of sentiment and the failure to follow simple rules that airport is not going to see any major difference in services.

On the final note. People should write to the authorities responsible for the management of the airport. We are all responsible to the country and everything in it. It means we should learn to take action than lament for other useless nations to take and use it as weakness against us. That I don't find funny at all.

Take action now! Be responsible to the country, no matter who you are - for the good of all. We can't just let the evils have their way all the time.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by icedbreez(m): 11:09pm On Nov 13, 2013
I was appreciating this article until I saw who wrote it....psssss. Armchair critic and twitter celebrity Omojuwa... Makes money from criticism. Its a job 4him. #PaperChase.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by sCun: 11:15pm On Nov 13, 2013
icedbreez: I was appreciating this article until I saw who wrote it....psssss. Armchair critic and twitter celebrity Omojuwa... Makes money from criticism. Its a job 4him. #PaperChase.
Same with me o! When I saw the name at the bottom, I was just disappointed. I wished it was written by someone else. This is a guy that rides on the wave of public perception to drive traffic to his blog etc. Most of his criticisms are driven by his own selfish interest. I think we should just take the message and forget about the messenger.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 13, 2013
I just realised that the Lekki airport will also have the same unruly Customs and Immigration officers undecided
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by igbonla(m): 12:15am On Nov 14, 2013
Don't know why people are surprised about the airport or any place whatsoever, but good that the writers are not letting up. We need to keep the pressure on these people without turning it into a tribal war, corruption is in every tribe and everywhere.

Corrupt practices will never allow good management of any facility/organization in Nigeria. People cannot reason anymore the moment there is personal interest in any situation, all they will be doing is to manipulate the system to the expected end (their pockets).

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Visit To Bowers Tower In Ibadan / Kenya's Electric Okada (Boda Boda) / Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.