Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,792 members, 7,817,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport (38289 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport / Jonathan Transforms Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Pattey(m): 12:40am On Nov 14, 2013
icedbreez: I was appreciating this article until I saw who wrote it....psssss. Armchair critic and twitter celebrity Omojuwa... Makes money from criticism. Its a job 4him. #PaperChase.

I thought I was the only one Oooo. . . I had to unfollow his condescending arrogant bottom on twitter sef. . . Too full of himself and I doubt his intentions are ever sincere.

Always seems more like to draw attention to himself and less to get the 'situation' addressed.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by jerrymania(m): 12:54am On Nov 14, 2013
well let me add my last piece before the thread fizzles out - Nigeria is a great shame. Giant of africa my teeth!
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bigfrancis21: 1:00am On Nov 14, 2013
gbokukueba: You guys have not seen anything yet... Last trip home 3 months ago I landed at bout 11 pm there was no power at the Airport there were 2 people holding torch lights 2 ends of the tunnel...

Hahaha. Torch too? That is so hilarious! grin
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by peruso: 1:02am On Nov 14, 2013
Dis Guy:

##gbam!
And this annoying thing!!!
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by peruso: 1:20am On Nov 14, 2013
Pink!:
On a side note, I don't know why folks keep complaining about paying to use the trolley. All the airports I've used/passed through, I've always paid. How in the world would the trollies be maintained if there's no charge attached to it.
Let's be reasonable in our complaints pls.

What airports did you've to pay for trolleys?
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by peruso: 1:26am On Nov 14, 2013
Truth be told, you can never fully understand the depth of this topic except you ard a frequent traveller, and you've visited other countries airports.

Then you will comprehend this topic!

In my case I almost WEPT once when I landed at MMIA and had to compare it with the other places I just came back from.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by callmenow: 1:57am On Nov 14, 2013
@Omojuwa has not been a clever boy. Hand wringing and pious bleating does him a disservice. Has MMIA ever been a contender for the best or top 100 airports in the world. Things has improved remarkably over the past few years. Besides the touts, the number of people accompanying a traveller to the airport has been declining appreciably in the past few years. Nigeria has never claimed to be anything but. I expected @Omojuwa to suggest that MMIA should be run by the private sector, such as Bi-Courtney (who is doing great with MMA2). I also expected him to call for the MMIA Airport Police to be empowered ( through the recruitment of able personnel to patrol the airport and demand ID of all persons found on the MMIA premises) The idea of blaming officials, especially government has become ingrained in the head of otherwise progressives Nigerians. We do not need NASS to debate MMIA. It just requires 'will' as you quite rightly surmised (by suggesting that money will not necessarily resolve the problem as indentified.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bunmit(m): 2:15am On Nov 14, 2013
Nigeria we hail thee!!
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by 14(m): 2:35am On Nov 14, 2013
all4naija: Please, I need images to ascertain facts! I am tired of reckless retorts by many posters here. I need proofs of the realities on ground.

Thank you.

Those people are on the ground, Mr Giant of Ants
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by 14(m): 2:38am On Nov 14, 2013
all4naija: That airport is on the poor side of management and the infrastructure is too small for a country like Nigeria. I hope something is done to put in its stead a better international airport.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=Yzi6jk1LPbU
Oohh really, I thought it was better than OR Tambo Airport in Johannesburg. Aren't you shooting yourself on foot
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by 14(m): 2:51am On Nov 14, 2013
The giant of cockroches, nothing to show of, throw away thhat name, it has become detrimental. Wicked country, everything is falling apart, Good Luck folks, hope You fix the mess and become competative, else you will become like Afganistan
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by justi4jesu(f): 5:21am On Nov 14, 2013
1,2:
The giant of cockroches, nothing to show of, throw away thhat name, it has become detrimental. Wicked country, everything is falling apart, Good Luck folks, hope You fix the mess and become competative, else you will become like Afganistan

Hahahaha...giant of cockroaches!

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by hitman2911: 5:35am On Nov 14, 2013
billante:

Omojuwa is a complete yoruba boy!

For your information , Omojuwa is not Yoruba but .Edo. Don't let us turn this to tribal war but face reality on ground.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by tmaigari: 7:05am On Nov 14, 2013
bcomputer101:
Source: www.punchng.com/opinion/the-shame-called-murtala-muhammed-international-airport/

Very shocking what I just experienced passing through this airport in transit to India, firstly I will confirm here that sweating is sure and acceptable by the officials of the Airport, secondly the Immigration and security at all points have resolved to building an expliotative cartel. What I mean is there a high degree of disgraceful exploitation going on in the Airport, with Immigration officers asking questions like how much BTA do you after which if they find out they form a fake process that they are profiling you to their administration because you have less than the approved BTA. What they resolve to is demanding part of the declared BTA by you then passing you along the chain of corrupt irresponsible parent along the checks who employ the same process, if you are not careful you will be stripped off your travel allowance before you even travel, the EFCC and the FG should send a fake travel team through this line and be shocked with what these security personnel are doing. After this experience and that I got after leaving this Airport I must say this is confirmation that Nigeria "my country" is indeed a fully qualified corrupt State under the watch of Good luck Johnathan. How much more ignorant can a government be, Governance is not about sitting in the presidential villa tackling issues that have no direct impact on the common man, this show our goverment Lacks monitoring and supervisory ideology and has no regard for what the common man goes through in this country. What a shame.

2 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by frederal(m): 7:26am On Nov 14, 2013
If you dare touch down at Cairo int'l airport, you won't feel free attributing MMA as int'l airport. Apart from unbefitting infrastructure or structures, the unprofessional conduct of staffs there; they beg or demand tips like crazy.
From there, the image of the country and the citizenry are put to shame. The police starts begining from the first entrance.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by hitman2911: 8:27am On Nov 14, 2013
Pink!:
On a side note, I don't know why folks keep complaining about paying to use the trolley. All the airports I've used/passed through, I've always paid. How in the world would the trollies be maintained if there's no charge attached to it.
Let's be reasonable in our complaints pls.

Yes we should be reasonable in our assessment and how we make comments.
I have had the privilege of at least using the first 3 airports in Europe, Asia and Africa in the last 2 years without having to pay for trolley.
I was shocked when I was told to pay to use trolley at Abuja airport, don't know of MMIA because I always travel light whenever I am passing through Lagos
However, I stopped using the toilets and wait till I get on board when I was told to pay for tissue paper 2 years ago. Then why is bulk of the airfare which is airport tax and yet we have to pay for all these basic things?
The rot did not start from this government but lots has been written about the great work of the current team but I will say what I saw recently is a worsening situation.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by hitman2911: 8:56am On Nov 14, 2013
james_ibor: My bag has been opened and ransacked at heathrow several times and on p w occasion, the stench from my ogiri became another issue.

In recent years the practice is to have you baggage go through scanners. For those who know the rules, there are items you must not put in your hand luggage but allowed in your other luggages not meant for the cabin eg drinks, sharp objects, fluids, perfume etc
There are other items you need to declare like certain food items, fire arms, special medications etc. Some will be specially packaged for you.
If you do not follow all these procedures and your bag passes through the scanners, you will be made to open the bag and it will be searched. The last time I opened my bag for search outside Nigeria was in 2010. In Lagos just few months ago a whole 150 passengers while standing on queue for 3 hours each person with 2 to 5 bags had our bags opened one by one. For God sake how much does it cost to get scanners.
Port health agencies will rubbish the yellow card obtained in an authentic centre with all your receipt to show and make you pay another money to get another card and not give the yellow fever vaccine.
NDLEA will subject you to inhuman treatment simply because you are going on holidays.
Immigration will claim your passport features are not showing on their system and you need to see their boss. same passport that was issued by them, that has been used in airports round the world
I tire for my countri.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by unmask: 10:04am On Nov 14, 2013
anonimi:

Negligible. Very negligible.
We are all sharing the monthly federal allocation of the national cake like almajiris.

Meanwhile when we had cash crops like cocoa in the west, cotton & groundnut in the north etc the federal government did NOT collect the revenue directly to share with the Niger Delta hence the gross under-development there until recently.

@ OP,

How many of us know people in our family, friends, acquaintances, mosque/church/shrine fellow congregant who RECEIVES and SPENDS money way beyond his salary and/or for doing next to nothing such as our numerous politicians and political office holders and jobbers

How many of such people have we ADVISED to work and earn their pay just as we do in our own places of work & business.
The MMIA is still part of our country, Nigeria the last time I checked so let's stop the pretense and hypocrisy.

I am sure the op said that much....but it seems you always have a way of twisting issues to fit your twisted mind....anyways try to read slowly next time....it is on record to have helped folks like you
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by manchy7531: 10:05am On Nov 14, 2013
bcomputer101:
Source: www.punchng.com/opinion/the-shame-called-murtala-muhammed-international-airport/
. So suprise this made the front page. Now I know the moderators are bigot knowing to well that there was a thread of mine debunking some of the allegations made against princess oduah's aviation projects being a scam. To my suprise the thread never made front page rather it was taken away from politics and hidden in the travel section.here is the link. Pro oduah like me will not make anti oduah propagander to suceed.

https://www.nairaland.com/1507627/pictures-stella-oduahs-airport
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 14, 2013
1,2:

Those people are on the ground, Mr Giant of Ants
I am Nigerian, you loser!
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 1:12pm On Nov 14, 2013
1,2:

Oohh really, I thought it was better than OR Tambo Airport in Johannesburg. Aren't you shooting yourself on foot
Can you point to where I say so? You have no argument there, dude. For your information, a new international airport is already under-construction in Lagos. Hahaha...

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 1:14pm On Nov 14, 2013
1,2:
You can cry all day long about Nigeria being GIANT it wont change a thing. Nigeria remains the GIANT of Africa. That is a complete fact!

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Underground: 6:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
UNLEASHED: MMIA is most probably the worst airport in Africa no contest. Nothing at all is right about the airport. From the very poor structural state it is to poor maintenance and mismanagement.
Couple of months ago when I visited Nigeria, I was ashamed to see the arrival lounge running on fan, the fans were even plugged to stabilisers and everywhere was hot, clumsy and smelly.
The officials don't want to do a single thing for you for free. They're rude to the extent you'll want to slap someone, you can't lodge a complaint or ask a polite question without being insulted.
Security officers indirectly beg for stuffs in your bag at Check-in.
Sometimes I wonder if it's the same airport that serves our governors, senators, ministers and president.
No matter how beautiful your house is, the entrance tells a lot.

The blast of hot air that hits you when you disembark from the plane; the authorities that shamelessly salute (or harass) you all part of the effort to entice some change out of you; the airport staff that forgo all decency and focus all their attention on the VIPs amongst the passengers sucking up to them every step of the way; that escalator just before passport control that never seems to work where disembarking passengers always converge to a dead stop in the midst of the hottest area of the airport and that horrid voice over the crackling public address system that you refuse to believe is meant to serve you. Yes, MMIA is the stuff of nightmares and a perfect introduction to what awaits you as you enter Nigeria.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by donodion(m): 6:49pm On Nov 14, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
There used to be four, but with that of Enugu, it is now five. They are Nnamdi Azikiwe, Abuja; Murtala Muhammed, Lagos; Aminu Kano, Kano; Port-Harcourt; and Akanu Ibiam, Enugu.
Thanks bro...
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by gbokukueba(m): 9:00pm On Nov 14, 2013
[quote author=bigfrancis21]

Hahaha. Torch too? That is so hilarious! grin[/quote

na so ooh my brother... my heart bled that day!
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by naptu2: 6:43am On Nov 15, 2013
[size=14pt]BBC Africa[/size]

How good is your country's airport? You might say pretty good - or like one angry Nigerian you may give it the thumbs down. Japheth Omojuwa wrote a very critical article about Lagos airport, saying for a 'prestigious airport' it is ' badly managed' - his opinions sparked a huge backlash on Nigerian social media pages. Are African airports getting better - how is yours? Share your thoughts with us on BBC Newsday.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152067571135229&id=285361880228&refid=7&_ft_=qid.5946351581421231838%3Amf_story_key.-186925860862754397
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by monsieursam64(m): 10:59am On Nov 15, 2013
i used to think MMIA was one of d best airport in d world, but heyyyy, i was speechless when i got to dubai int'l airport. May GOD have mercy on Nigeria, cos i cant even see or sense a trace of progress in d nation's economy

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by sweetgala(m): 2:32pm On Nov 17, 2013
sCun: Then you are one of the mediocre people the writer talked about. Simple!

Oga I feel your pain. But let us agree that ghananian society is much more sensible than ours.
Nigeria is so bad that improving to levels as is in Ghana would even in its mediocrity be a great achievement. We are struggling to discipline an aviation minister and Ghana just sacked a junior minister over a loose statement.

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by sweetgala(m): 2:35pm On Nov 17, 2013
sCun: The country you want us to be like is a third world country by all international standards. The writer lamented the inabilty of Nigerians to strive for excellence, yet your ambition is for us to be like Ghana. Why not Norway, Sweden or even South Africa or Malaysia? By the way, you aren't the only one who has lived in Ghana, some of us know better.

Because those other mentioned countries are far ahead, we need to start somewhere.
Dreaming too big can cause loss of focus. We need to stage our development.

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by PetroDolla2: 3:56pm On Nov 17, 2013
sweet_gala:

Oga I feel your pain. But let us agree that ghananian society is much more sensible than ours.
Nigeria is so bad that improving to levels as is in Ghana would even in its mediocrity be a great achievement. We are struggling to discipline an aviation minister and Ghana just sacked a junior minister over a loose statement.

grin
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by sCun: 4:00pm On Nov 17, 2013
sweet_gala:

Can you tell me what Ghana's level is? For your information, the so called ''loose statement'' made by that minister will get her a sack under Jonathan. go and get the full details
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Pattey(m): 4:10pm On Nov 17, 2013
sCun: Can you tell me what Ghana's level is? For your information, the so called ''loose statement'' made by that minister will get her a sack under Jonathan. go and get the full details

You are such a Hypocritical clown. . . How dare you compare Ghana where a Minister is sacked for merely speaking of intentions to steal; Not even executed Oo. . . TO NIGERIa where the President categoriclly states in a Presidential Media chat that corruption is 'Exaggerated'. One whose ministers are not accused of plotting to steal but actually stealing. Yet, they only get sacked when their 'political sponsors' who nominated them to cabinet have misunderstandings with the President,

Young man or Old man, you are such a joke cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Visit To Bowers Tower In Ibadan / Kenya's Electric Okada (Boda Boda) / Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.