Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,230 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? (15474 Views)

When Would Yoruba Men Start Marrying Igbo Women? / Yoruba Men♥ / Igbo/Niger Delta Women, Please Leave Our Yoruba Men Alone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by PAPAAFRICA: 6:29am On Nov 13, 2013
I recently found out that the Agbada worn by Yoruba men was introduced by Sahelians and im wondering what was worn before the influence from Northern Nigeria.

i found this Bronze Cast of a ife Ooni discovered in the Benin palace but i cant really make out the clothing but i can tell it was some sort of flowing cloth from the feet area.

[img]http://hum.lss.wisc.edu/hjdrewal/RIGHT/right_slides1-10/BENIN_ife.jpg[/img]

this earlier Ife sculpture shows more detail. Some of the the same jewelry and ornaments are present and a wrapper but it seems distinct from the other made in Benin at a later date.

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by 1shortblackboy: 10:02am On Nov 14, 2013
They wore a suit. Their birthday suit
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by PAPAAFRICA: 3:11pm On Nov 14, 2013
Bump
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by aljharem(m): 6:01pm On Nov 14, 2013
First and foremost, agbada was not introduced by northerners but influenced the dressing.

Secondly aso oke was worn before agbada and even before aso oke, there were cloths we use to wrap ourselves and this was way before any influence by anyone or group

3 Likes

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by PAPAAFRICA: 7:15pm On Nov 14, 2013
alj harem: First and foremost, agbada was not introduced by northerners but influenced the dressing.

Secondly aso oke was worn before agbada and even before aso oke, there were cloths we use to wrap ourselves and this was way before any influence by anyone or group

any pics of aso oke? smiley
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by tpia5: 7:25pm On Nov 14, 2013
surely you have google.

after all, you didnt ask anybody before posting the other pictures on the thread?
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by PAPAAFRICA: 7:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
If i need information concerning connections between yorubas and Israelites ill call you tpia. Lol
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by tpia5: 7:35pm On Nov 14, 2013
am i supposed to have info on a connection between yorubas and isrealites?

explain, thanks.
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by Africaman: 10:24am On Nov 15, 2013

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 16, 2013
alj harem: First and foremost, agbada was not introduced by northerners but influenced the dressing.

Agbada is northern, don't argue it.
@ Op, yorubas wear some loose shirt - that flares at the down part.
with trousers
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 4:02pm On Nov 16, 2013

Guy even a child knows that it's a northern cloth.So is ashoke and use of Calvert by Yoruba,all are northern culture borrow by Yoruba.Why do u think Hausa call Yoruba children of bayagida?
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by tpia5: 4:22pm On Nov 16, 2013
if yorubas say they have ancestral links with middle eastern culture, then what exactly is the problem now?

were they n.aked when they were in the ME or did they stop wearing clothes when they arrived in west africa?

no be una dey shout everywhere say they must not say they have links outside of nigeria?

1 Like

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by PAPAAFRICA: 7:03pm On Nov 16, 2013
tpia@:
if yorubas say they have ancestral links with middle eastern culture, then what exactly is the problem now?

were they n.aked when they were in the ME or did they stop wearing clothes when they arrived in west africa?

no be una dey shout everywhere say they must not say they have links outside of nigeria?
if i need shit like yoruba's wandering from the middle east into west africa ill call you. i dont need this in this thread.
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by Fulaman198(m): 7:33pm On Nov 16, 2013
This is very highly debated and I'm glad you mention that. Some people believe that Agbada came from Areas (North)

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGrIUhmZ3tM&
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by tpia5: 11:36pm On Nov 16, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: if i need shit like yoruba's wandering from the middle east into west africa ill call you. i dont need this in this thread.

You are too arrogant.
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by aljharem(m): 9:34am On Nov 17, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Agbada is northern, don't argue it.
@ Op, yorubas wear some loose shirt - that flares at the down part.
with trousers

Ibrahim mr fish:
Guy even a child knows that it's a northern cloth.So is ashoke and use of Calvert by Yoruba,all are northern culture borrow by Yoruba.Why do u think Hausa call Yoruba children of bayagida?

That so called loose shirt that flares down part is Aso Oke. Agbada was never of northern origin but influnced

Its origin lies with the clothing worn by the Islamized Tukulor, Mandé and Songhai peoples of the historic 8th Century Takrur and Ghana Empires, and 13th Century Mali and Songhai Empires.

This was not from Northerners but from a set of people that has not only influenced northerners but others, Are fons too influenced by Northerners ?

Here is the making of Aso Oke

Here are ancient yorubas

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnzA-M-tp14CEmHFNNaGmPE8tPob5MW-8y03CAGMOdKbBG-tTUYQ[/img]

Aso Oke in Agbada form

Brazilian Yoruba ( Was he also influenced by Northerners far off in Brazil ?)

[img]http://1.bp..com/-gYEwsdlO3L0/UT9T5hkthFI/AAAAAAAAIIk/oBonRi5G38c/s640/babasi.jpg[/img]

When did our interaction with northerners start ? DAYS of Alimi and Afonja ?? Nupes are not Northerners BTW but a Yoruboid group

It is of recent they became Northerners, The kings of Nupe mostly had Yoruba origin back in those days even to the extent that Sango is actually of Nupe origin (Yes the popular sango being worshiped in Edo, SW, brazil, Cuba etc)

This was way before Aso Oke, any Northern interaction etc

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfEg-wxFYLKfEIjp5tTxwghlXc5vXf_mQqrgWmxkfFVcSR9Xw1gg[/img]

Now it is safe to say since Agbada was from Mali aka Fulani right ? But compare the yoruba from Oyo in 1910 to fulani in futa jallon in 1905 (5 years difference)

Yoruba

Fulani

Here is hausa in 1950 in kano

Lagos yorubas in 1890

Here is hausa

Their distribution owes much to the diffusion of Islam along key trade routes, although not everyone who wore them was a Muslim. There were a number of mainly quite rare local variants but the predominant type was associated particularly with the[i] C19th Sokoto Caliphate centred on northern Nigeria and primarily the product of Hausa, Nupe and Oyo Yoruba textile workers (cotton spinners, dyers, weavers, tailors, embroiderers, beaters.) The Hausa name for these robes is riga, while among the Yoruba they were called agbada. It is usually not possible to attribute a specific ethnic origin to this type of robe on stylistic grounds alone.[/i] Although today they are often still made from hand-woven cloth, the painstaking and beautiful hand embroidery that was used in the past is very rarely seen. Fine old robes have become family heirlooms passed on from father to son and worn with pride at major celebrations.

Eyo festival Lagos Agabada .

Hausa man in Lagos praying wearing Aso Oke material in Agbada not Babanriga

bayagida is coin used to by people to talk of how they interacted before the advent of Nigeria. Hausas had not interaction with Igbos or Ijaws that is why they are not bayagidas, if they had interaction they will be bayagida.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by olumidaie(m): 10:25am On Nov 17, 2013
About the Agbada, I'm not sure if it's Yoruba or Sahelian( likely); but it did not originate in Hausa nor Fula; though, dandogo was borrowed from the Hausa. Aso-Oke and Adire and one wonen material this "shines" were Yoruba clothing. These are the following Yoruba clothing:

TOP:
buba( short tunic: both long and short sleeve).
"ghana-styles" body wrapper(like in the statue of Oduduwa.
Beaded vest for royalty.
e.t.c

BELOW:
sokoto
kembe
One form of 3/4 trouser that the body(lap side) is big/look like skirt with two small projection for the for the legs.

For more information picture google "oyo horsemen". You will see a 15/16th century horseman figure with short sleeves and kembe trouser.

Also check Leo Forbenius book on Ife. Someone posted the pictures on Yoruba clothing on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by aljharem(m): 10:34am On Nov 17, 2013
olumidaie: About the Agbada, I'm not sure if it's Yoruba or Sahelian( likely); but it did not originate in Hausa nor Fula; though, dandogo was borrowed from the Hausa. Aso-Oke and Adire and one wonen material this "shines" were Yoruba clothing. These are the following Yoruba clothing:

TOP:
buba( short tunic: both long and short sleeve).
"ghana-styles" body wrapper(like in the statue of Oduduwa.
Beaded vest for royalty.
e.t.c

BELOW:
sokoto
kembe
One form of 3/4 trouser that the body(lap side) is big/look like skirt with two small projection for the for the legs.

For more information picture google "oyo horsemen". You will see a 15/16th century horseman figure with short sleeves and kembe trouser.

Also check Leo Forbenius book on Ife. Someone posted the pictures on Yoruba clothing on Nairaland.

Thank you, nicely put. Most of us don't know our facts before posting.

For example, it is obvious that if you see an Igbo man wearing Agbada or riga it is from the North or West the influence came from. But saying Agbada came from the Northern Nigeria to yorubas, ghanians, camerounians etc is a big lie because even Hausa wore danshiki and fulanis were half nake by the time Yorubas were wearing Agbada and Aso Oke. Now in turn, Nupe people had more influence on the dressing of Yorubas and Hausas than the other way around

1 Like

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by Nobody: 11:40am On Nov 17, 2013
^^^^^^^

God bless you Alj Harem and Olumidaie.
I see some dolts are already jumping around trying to lump us in the class of their ancestors who lacked proper civilization.
It should be known that when WE started wearing aso-oke, before the agbada influence, Northerners were partly naked or wore da(n)shiki while some other people were totally unclad hunting apes in the forest.

Yoruba civilization doesn't belong in the league of regular class of African civilization.

It is grouped with likes of Egypt, Roman, Greek, American(Indian) civilizations. cool cool cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 1:39pm On Nov 17, 2013
northern walking naked,what have u guys been smoking?Just look at the nature of Hausa buildings and urs and tell me which one is from a lesser civilization.800year ago people 4m egypt ,tripoly and morroco come to kano to buy cloths and shoes.And even nupe borrow a lot 4m Hausa.stop lying to urself , Hausa kanuri nupe have the best civilization in 9ja.And have been wearing cloths long b4 u guys.

1 Like

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by Fulaman198(m): 1:40pm On Nov 17, 2013
alj harem:

That so called loose shirt that flares down part is Aso Oke. Agbada was never of northern origin but influnced

Its origin lies with the clothing worn by the Islamized Tukulor, Mandé and Songhai peoples of the historic 8th Century Takrur and Ghana Empires, and 13th Century Mali and Songhai Empires.

This was not from Northerners but from a set of people that has not only influenced northerners but others, Are fons too influenced by Northerners ?

Here is the making of Aso Oke

Here are ancient yorubas

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnzA-M-tp14CEmHFNNaGmPE8tPob5MW-8y03CAGMOdKbBG-tTUYQ[/img]

Aso Oke in Agbada form

Brazilian Yoruba ( Was he also influenced by Northerners far off in Brazil ?)

[img]http://1.bp..com/-gYEwsdlO3L0/UT9T5hkthFI/AAAAAAAAIIk/oBonRi5G38c/s640/babasi.jpg[/img]

When did our interaction with northerners start ? DAYS of Alimi and Afonja ?? Nupes are not Northerners BTW but a Yoruboid group

It is of recent they became Northerners, The kings of Nupe mostly had Yoruba origin back in those days even to the extent that Sango is actually of Nupe origin (Yes the popular sango being worshiped in Edo, SW, brazil, Cuba etc)

This was way before Aso Oke, any Northern interaction etc

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfEg-wxFYLKfEIjp5tTxwghlXc5vXf_mQqrgWmxkfFVcSR9Xw1gg[/img]

Now it is safe to say since Agbada was from Mali aka Fulani right ? But compare the yoruba from Oyo in 1910 to fulani in futa jallon in 1905 (5 years difference)

Yoruba

Fulani

Here is hausa in 1950 in kano

Lagos yorubas in 1890

Here is hausa

Their distribution owes much to the diffusion of Islam along key trade routes, although not everyone who wore them was a Muslim. There were a number of mainly quite rare local variants but the predominant type was associated particularly with the[i] C19th Sokoto Caliphate centred on northern Nigeria and primarily the product of Hausa, Nupe and Oyo Yoruba textile workers (cotton spinners, dyers, weavers, tailors, embroiderers, beaters.) The Hausa name for these robes is riga, while among the Yoruba they were called agbada. It is usually not possible to attribute a specific ethnic origin to this type of robe on stylistic grounds alone.[/i] Although today they are often still made from hand-woven cloth, the painstaking and beautiful hand embroidery that was used in the past is very rarely seen. Fine old robes have become family heirlooms passed on from father to son and worn with pride at major celebrations.

Eyo festival Lagos Agabada .

Hausa man in Lagos praying wearing Aso Oke material in Agbada not Babanriga

bayagida is coin used to by people to talk of how they interacted before the advent of Nigeria. Hausas had not interaction with Igbos or Ijaws that is why they are not bayagidas, if they had interaction they will be bayagida.

Takrur or Tekrur was a Fulani empire. We have a Songhai group in Nigeria called Zarma. Fulani have always had different kinds of clothing based on region.

Riga is just a shirt. Babban riga is what Yoruba's call Agbada

1 Like

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 17, 2013
Fulaman198:

Takrur or Tekrur was a Fulani empire. We have a Songhai group in Nigeria called Zarma. Fulani have always had different kinds of clothing based on region.

That's what I was telling them.
babanriga is not of Yoruba origin,
I don't see the big deal there

1 Like

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by Fulaman198(m): 4:32pm On Nov 17, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Same here, all Nigerian cultures borrow from one another whether we want to admit it or not.
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 17, 2013
Fulaman198:

Same here, all Nigerian cultures borrow from one another whether we want to admit it or not.

True, we all borrowed around.
Having read through this thread, I do not see any Yoruba poster laying claims to Agbada being of Yoruba origin?
The only point they raised is, Agbada/Babanriga isn't of Hausa/North origin either.
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by aljharem(m): 5:25pm On Nov 17, 2013
Ibrahim mr fish: northern walking naked,what have u guys been smoking?Just look at the nature of Hausa buildings and urs and tell me which one is from a lesser civilization.800year ago people 4m egypt ,tripoly and morroco come to kano to buy cloths and shoes.And even nupe borrow a lot 4m Hausa.stop lying to urself , Hausa kanuri nupe have the best civilization in 9ja.And have been wearing cloths long b4 u guys.

LOL, best civilization. Nigeria in general is nothing to write home about.

And what is wrong in walking naked ? are their not still ethnic groups in adamawa and taraba still walking naked ?

3 Likes

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by aljharem(m): 5:27pm On Nov 17, 2013
Fulaman198:

Yes but just like different groups in africa, they are divided into clans and what I am pointing out is that some clans of fulani were still walking naked when the Hausa and yoruba had clothes.

Moreover they are different, Agbada can be done with Aso Oke. It is the material I am talking about not the design
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by aljharem(m): 5:29pm On Nov 17, 2013
ngozievergreen:

My sister you are not saying anything, should we give credit to someone who did not have any influence ?
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by aljharem(m): 5:30pm On Nov 17, 2013
Fulaman198:

Yes sure but we need to know what we borrowed (nothing wrong with that) and what was actually invented by group themselves.

Agbada is not borrowed from the Northern Nigeria but from a group far away.

2 Likes

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by Fulaman198(m): 5:45pm On Nov 17, 2013
9jacrip:

True, we all borrowed around.
Having read through this thread, I do not see any Yoruba poster laying claims to Agbada being of Yoruba origin?
The only point they raised is, Agbada/Babanriga isn't of Hausa/North origin either.

Agbada/Babban Riga is of Sahelian origin. So it could be from anywhere in West Africa. Most likely not Nigeria as no ethnic group is originally from Nigeria anyway.

2 Likes

Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by Fulaman198(m): 5:48pm On Nov 17, 2013
alj harem:

Yes but just like different groups in africa, they are divided into clans and what I am pointing out is that some clans of fulani were still walking naked when the Hausa and yoruba had clothes.

Moreover they are different, Agbada can be done with Aso Oke. It is the material I am talking about not the design

The thing is the Fulbe (Fulani) before coming to Nigeria had been wearing clothes like these for ages. Sure, there are different variants of Fulani clothing, but we must not mistake these clothes to be of West African origin, because they are of West African Sahelian origin. No ethnic group is from Nigeria anyways.
Re: What Did Yoruba Men Wear Before The Agbada? by Emmyk(m): 7:57am On Nov 18, 2013
I love intellectual posts. cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Beautiful City Of Kano / How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? / Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture-

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.