Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There (62114 Views)

Wives Of Late Ooni Of Ife At Burial Ceremony / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by DrBulalaa(m): 5:50pm On May 03, 2015
belltwelve:

Unknown to many, not all the Igbo aborigines of Ife followed Prince Chima, later Eze Chima out to their Anioma/Benin axis/ was sold into slavery to make up today’s Lucumi of the Americas/ assimilated into the culture of the Yorubas.

Some remain today in Ife, and are known as Iwinrin, Oluyare or Igare.

Kudos to the Yorubas who have encouraged peaceful coexistence with the Oluyare Igbos.

These Igbos live around Iwinrin, which has been described by Yoruba elders as Igbo town, and their chief is called Obawinrin.

They still play a very important role in Ife culture today, including in the famous Itapa Festival.

The Obawinrin is appointed by the Ooni of Ife.

Remember we have told you a lot about the Olukumis who followed Prince Chima, and we have also told you about the ones that were sold by their conquerors into slavery. We have told you that some of them remained and assimilated into the Yoruba race. These Oluyares are the ones that still maintain a presense in Ife till today.

Thank God I came across this. I am an Olukumi but problem is I know zilch about my culture and people. Please I would love you to shed more light.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by dellaziz(m): 5:50pm On May 03, 2015
please who knows where i can get tea bags used for herb packaging in lagos or ibadan ..THANKS in advance
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by bigfrancis21: 5:54pm On May 03, 2015
ezeagu:

Ontisha people are from Benin, how African Americans are from America.

The Bini people call Agbor people Ovigbo, meaning Igbo people. Ask an Ika or Bini man whether that's true or not, many of them on nairaland. They do not claim Agbor, neither do Agbor claim Bini. Agbor history sees themselves allied with Benin, in Olaudah Equianos memoirs he talks about a people who were under the Benin Empires influence, but 'nominally' and they still identified with themselves and in extension Igbo. Judging from Eze Chima's story, it seems that in the past at least there was a healthy relationship with the Edo and the Igbo which resulted in influence in both ways (see Ikegobo-Ikenga, and the Edo and Igbo calendar days). The Agbor people have Bini influence, especially the royal family, that is not in dispute, however Ika is an Igbo dialect and the head deity of Agbor is Ani, the earth goddess, as in other areas of Igbo land. I could go on. Agbor is an Igbo town with much Bini influence, lets just accept this and move one. Even Ika people who are in the minority that don't identify as Igbo do not identify as Edo, which is why they are in Delta.

@bold...that is not true.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 5:54pm On May 03, 2015
dollarlander:

Sir/ma, I've come to the conclusion that igbos are not Africans they emanated from the ancient Palestine that why its difficult to tell their history. They have no history that can embed them effectively to the evolution of African, they have to go back to Israel.
Bros. Pls stop this. . We all are africans. ..black africans
Igbo nd yoruba infact have identical origins going back 4000yrs

it's jst a pity for the igbos that the sire to foreign religion is overwhelming the igbo consciousness...I see no reason why any igbo would claim hebrew if not for the Sire that comes with accepting a religion wit Hebrew origin

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by onelife97: 5:57pm On May 03, 2015
ghostofsparta:
All these analyses about tribes, languages and ethnic origins all over Nairaland are just people interpretations.

The truth can only be gotten from Ifa.

Ifa lo mo itan gbogbo idale eya.

Ifa knows the origin of all race, ethnicity and tribe.

May Olodumare bless your knowledge.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by dellaziz(m): 6:01pm On May 03, 2015
please who knows where i can get tea bags used for herb packaging in lagos or ibadan ..THANKS in advance
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by logica(m): 6:02pm On May 03, 2015
ghostofsparta:
All these analyses about tribes, languages and ethnic origins all over Nairaland are just people interpretations.

The truth can only be gotten from Ifa.

Ifa lo mo itan gbogbo idale eya.

Ifa knows the origin of all race, ethnicity and tribe.
LOL. Ifa and DNA analyses must be synonyms.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by logica(m): 6:05pm On May 03, 2015
ANAMBRA11:
shatap mumu yorubas want to be igbo more than vice versa, in lagos most good looking yoruba girls re being called omo ibo
LMAO. How dumb.

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by NewNigeriaMind: 6:05pm On May 03, 2015
This thread is a blasphemy.

May ogun forgive you all trying to distort Yoruba history.

4 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by handsometokunbo: 6:11pm On May 03, 2015
Ondo - Ugbo/Igbo means Bush or Indian hemp.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by babestella: 6:13pm On May 03, 2015
riddler4real:

You are funny, so you think you can distort history with your fairy tale. I am a student of history and from what I was taught. Oduduwa came from the ancient Benin kingdom. Not the east. He was the royal heir to the throne. After the death of His father the King of Benin and the plot against his life by his half brothers, brothers and step mother, he left benin with his entourage and settled in a town within present day Edo state. That town shared a border with Present day Ondo state and yoruba was widely spoken there as their traditional language even as at today.

Oduduwa was gifted in magic and black arts, part of which gave him popularity everywhere he went. From there he gathered many loyalist whom he enjoined as his entourage wandering from one town to the other until he settled in Ife and became useful to them with his black arts and magic. He was made King over ife town, for helping them overcome in their time of urgent need.

After the death of the subsequent King in Benin, by an unknown cause, the chiefs requested that Oduduwa should return back as King, which he refused. So he sent his son instead, Hence the title Oba being used till this very day.

The word Oduduwa in Benin has several meanings. E.g The road to wealth and Great god....

Do you think Oduduwa is a yoruba word? or Eastern?

I don't think the writer said "Oduduwa" was from the SE.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Balkan(m): 6:15pm On May 03, 2015
Thank God.
Igbos are the original owners of
Ife and some parts of Yoruba land.
Its time to posses our possesion

3 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by babestella: 6:19pm On May 03, 2015
The bottom line here is that we are all one, brothers and sisters, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Efik, Tiv, etc we are all one. That is most important. One people, one nation, one love. Stop the hate and killings. Let's. Love our nation forward. Live and prosper anywhere you are, explore, discover and show love always. Period.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 6:19pm On May 03, 2015
MannyAgyeiK:
Then, why did the Yorubas of that era call them 'Igbos'? Fine, I'm Ghanaian, but dismissing a theory cuz it's unfavorable to your tribe is a bit parochial and myopic. You could easily have shredded this with actual facts, instead of sneering at it with no objective basis. Your fellow Yoruba simply put forward a counterclaim about 'Ugbos' that was a fact, without ad hominem attacks. By the way, I read somewhere that Olukumi, along with Itsekiri, were initial settlements of Yorubas before they reached Ile-Ife, which explains the Yoruba link.

ok, am sorry But whether Igbos trace their origins to Ife or not It doesn't bother me neither is it unfavorable to my Ethnicity. .its just a shame some people resort to such historical distortion

Here's what the deal is
"Igbo" is the Oyo dialectical version of "Ugbo"
These Ugbo were part of the Ife country, (I personally believe they resided at the outskirts around modern Ipetumodu before Ife put the place under their control )
During Oduduwa's time (before he was king) the Ugbo began a rebellion, they attacked Ife but were defeated
Some generations later(Moremi) Ugbo began attacking Ife again but were defeated again, this time some prisoners were taken - these are the Oluyare of today residing in Obawinrin's land
The survivors of the battle retreated and formed their kingdom in modern Ondo state..today they are the Ugbo section of the Ilaje people

P.S they were called Ugbo(forest) because Ife saw them as uncivilized people living in the forest...like Greeks - Barbarians

Yes there's yoruba link between those two, I don't know about Olukumi origins but their language sure is a yoruba dialect
Itsekiri are Ijebu sailors who probably missed their way

5 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by betterpikinn: 6:22pm On May 03, 2015
belltwelve:

Unknown to many, not all the Igbo aborigines of Ife followed Prince Chima, later Eze Chima out to their Anioma/Benin axis/ was sold into slavery to make up today’s Lucumi of the Americas/ assimilated into the culture of the Yorubas.

Some remain today in Ife, and are known as Iwinrin, Oluyare or Igare.

Kudos to the Yorubas who have encouraged peaceful coexistence with the Oluyare Igbos.

These Igbos live around Iwinrin, which has been described by Yoruba elders as Igbo town, and their chief is called Obawinrin.

They still play a very important role in Ife culture today, including in the famous Itapa Festival.

The Obawinrin is appointed by the Ooni of Ife.

Remember we have told you a lot about the Olukumis who followed Prince Chima, and we have also told you about the ones that were sold by their conquerors into slavery. We have told you that some of them remained and assimilated into the Yoruba race. These Oluyares are the ones that still maintain a presense in Ife till today.

YORUBAS ARE JUST SO ACCOMMODATING.
THIS KIND OF THINGS CAN NEVER HAPPEN IN ABIA, IMO, ANAMBRA AND ENUGU.

3 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by cbrass(m): 6:24pm On May 03, 2015
[quote author=MannyAgyeiK post=33365812][/quote]

You are a Ghanaian and you are interfering into what you know Nothing of. undecided

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 6:28pm On May 03, 2015
Is this theory based solely on the similarity in sound between 'Igbo' (as in the Ife stories) and 'Igbo' (as in the modern ethnic group), or are there more anthropological/ethnographic evidence to go with it? I just want to know.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by ezeagu(m): 6:28pm On May 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

@bold...that is not true.

What do you mean?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by dollarlander: 6:28pm On May 03, 2015
macof:

Bros. Pls stop this. . We all are africans. ..black africans
Igbo nd yoruba infact have identical origins going back 4000yrs

it's jst a pity for the igbos that the sire to foreign religion is overwhelming the igbo consciousness...I see no reason why any igbo would claim hebrew if not for the Sire that comes with accepting a religion wit Hebrew origin

Thanks brother, I love your side of the view. Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by cbrass(m): 6:29pm On May 03, 2015
Balkan:
Thank God.
Igbos are the original owners of
Ife and some parts of Yoruba land.
Its time to posses our possesion

Ahahahh I knew it, infact I saw it coming, you own lagos now it's Ile Ife the source of the Yoruba people grin

You Guys are clowns cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by otiigba1(m): 6:39pm On May 03, 2015
I also heard from a Ghanian friend, the ashanti people also originated from ILE IFE is this true? Does this mean that they could also be igbos?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by pazienza(m): 6:41pm On May 03, 2015
AreaFada2:

As it is now, with every hamlet in present day Nigeria claiming total independence since Adam and Eve, we will never know. Especially without written proof of treaties and such things.

But why did the Obi/Dein become so influenced as to adopt Benin kind of government?

Why is it that several earliest Obis of Agbor were called "Gbenoba", another version of Igbinoba (meaning I take refuge with the Oba)?
Why is it that only later Obis took Igbo names upon becoming Obi?

Why did Ojukwu famously despise some Onitsha indigenes for claiming descent from Benin?

People can laugh at an idea out of true knowledge of facts or out of ignorance.

Obi Adigwe was one of the earliest Obis of Agbor, and as you can see, his name is Igbo.

Agbor was Bini influenced, just as we have Nigerians taking up Italian and other Caucasian names today. It doesn't make us Caucasians.

Agbor is retracing back its steps, since Bini is no longer as influential and glamorous as it once was. Less Agbor people are taking up Bini names, most are taking up Agbor names, which are really Igbo names.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Laster: 6:52pm On May 03, 2015
This really the beginning of Xenophobic disturbance. Ibo peolple should be very careful and respect the others. Oun ti e nwa labe ako isu e ri labe ewura.

4 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by cbrass(m): 6:56pm On May 03, 2015
riddler4real:

You are funny, so you think you can distort history with your fairy tale. I am a student of history and from what I was taught. Oduduwa came from the ancient Benin kingdom. Not the east. He was the royal heir to the throne. After the death of His father the King of Benin and the plot against his life by his half brothers, brothers and step mother, he left benin with his entourage and settled in a town within present day Edo state. That town shared a border with Present day Ondo state and yoruba was widely spoken there as their traditional language even as at today.

Oduduwa was gifted in magic and black arts, part of which gave him popularity everywhere he went. From there he gathered many loyalist whom he enjoined as his entourage wandering from one town to the other until he settled in Ife and became useful to them with his black arts and magic. He was made King over ife town, for helping them overcome in their time of urgent need.

After the death of the subsequent King in Benin, by an unknown cause, the chiefs requested that Oduduwa should return back as King, which he refused. So he sent his son instead, Hence the title Oba being used till this very day.

The word Oduduwa in Benin has several meanings. E.g The road to wealth and Great god....

Do you think Oduduwa is a yoruba word? or Eastern?

But who were those Oduduwa met in Ile Ife?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Marlbron: 7:15pm On May 03, 2015
Excellent thread. Let's hear from folks who have taken time to research the topic. No need spamming the thread. Ethnic haters keep off. God owns us all.

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Kc3000: 7:23pm On May 03, 2015
betterpikinn:

YORUBAS ARE JUST SO ACCOMMODATING.
THIS KIND OF THINGS CAN NEVER HAPPEN IN ABIA, IMO, ANAMBRA AND ENUGU.

Some of you make a mockery of your so-called hospitality when you buttress such claims with hateful statements. Have you ever heard of Yorubas being harassed in Igbo land, or you don't think your people venture this way? The Olukumi never had to fight any wars to be accommodated by the Igbo, and became proper indigenes while freely retaining their language, without any threat of expulsion from the Igbo.

4 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by AreaFada2: 7:30pm On May 03, 2015
pazienza:

Obi Adigwe was one of the earliest Obis of Agbor, and as you can see, his name is Igbo.

Agbor was Bini influenced, just as we have Nigerians taking up Italian and other Caucasian names today. It doesn't make us Caucasians.

Agbor is retracing back its steps, since Bini is no longer as influential and glamorous as it once was. Less Agbor people are taking up Bini names, most are taking up Agbor names, which are really Igbo names.

So you mean an Igbo Obi, without any ancestral connections to Benin was quite happy to take up a Bini regnal title simply because Bini was centre of influence back then?

English has been influential in Nigeria now for over one hundred years, how many Obi Johnson II, Igwe McDonald III, Oba Winterbottom or Sarkin Henderson have you seen anywhere in Nigeria? shocked shocked.

Nice try but it is a mere conjecture. You have not talked from a point of knowledge of Agbor history but a mere denial.
Denial is a common thing. Even the holocaust that happened barely 70 years ago and is even on film is still denied by some.

As for the Benin, there's no need to claim anybody. With the loss of Empire in 1897, Benin accepted the severance of it provinces.
However, its place in human civilisation is assured as seen in museums worldwide: London, Paris, Berlin, Armsterdam, California and elsewhere that I have been able to see.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by iiiyyyk(m): 7:32pm On May 03, 2015
kevinberry:

Dafuck

Panic mode for what

M not a yoruba

This people don't have an account of who they are..all they know and care about is BIAFRA

So why should I panic...I won't be surprised to see a thread claiming kano belongs to the igbos with the explanation that the northerners are foreigners

??

An old educated Northern man once told me that, their forefathers told them that igbos and few other tribes in the north and east are the original owners of what is today called nigeria. That the housa/ fulanis and yorubas immigrated long before whiteman brought documentation,
He told me that igbos were naturally liberal people, when people come and dwell by them, they dont fight as far as u dwell peacfully by them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 7:35pm On May 03, 2015
angelo82:
Don't mind that stupid analysis or should I call it magomago mathematical ways of laying claim to something that is not yours...........Something tells me those winrinwinrins might be asylum seekers in the ancient times judging from Yoruba hospitalities of peaceful coexistence............

Nah Iwinrin is one of the 13 villages of pre-Oduduwa Ile - Ife...it got integrated into the new system of a unified government
It's different from the Asylum thing
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 7:38pm On May 03, 2015
babyosisi:

All these fairy tales
Where is the source of these "tales by moonlight"
Our history is more of myths and handed down stories that are told differently by different people with salt and pepper added
Not much documented evidence of anything
No body in Nigeria can trace their ancestry and origin properly
It wasn't written anywhere and oral stories are not valid

Many nigerian parents aren't even sure of their proper date of birth

Anything ever written is passed orally first. . Even the history of Europeans were passed orally
You are just a lazy and ignorant lady who finds history too difficult to dive in and give the excuse of oral is not valid

3 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by oneeaast: 7:39pm On May 03, 2015
Laster:
There is a great issue with Igbo people they like to distort history and this is disrepectful and can mislead the next generation. These are the cause of all the problems the world face.
shut up.where is ur own history..
give us ur own link to counter d igbo distorted history and if yu dnt have then shut up ok.

bye next.

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by logica(m): 7:40pm On May 03, 2015
iiiyyyk:

An old educated Northern man once told me that, their forefathers told them that igbos and few other tribes in the north and east are the original owners of what is today called nigeria. That the housa/ fulanis and yorubas immigrated long before whiteman brought documentation,
He told me that igbos were naturally liberal people, when people come and dwell by them, they dont fight as far as u dwell peacfully by them.
LMAO

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Tope Adesegun And Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi Set To Wed / Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair / The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.